• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo splitscreen co-op RIP 2001-2015

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
Disappointing to say the least.

I've gone through all iteration's campaigns on split-screen with friends and family. Online co-op is nice and all, but split-screen co-op is more fun to me.

NeoXChaos

This is so hilarious. I come back and the thread is to 17 pages. "I used to play this with x or y". That is a great memory. You should keep it always but split-screen isnt important to most Halo fans. The longevity of Halo relies in the MP not the SP. The people who buy it for SP will play it at launch, finish it and then put it away for 6 months or more and some may never touch it again. No one for SP Halo is playing campaign every day for 2+ years.

The sales of MP Halo far outnumbers the Co-op campaign only experience. 343 made a wise decision and I applaud them for it. Halo 5 hype for me only intensifies.

Eoin

343 should have used some of the resources they've wasted on multiplayer to get this to work. We've all seen the numbers from Halo 4. Multiplayer is just a niche feature that was popular 7 years ago. A dated relic that has distracted them from what's important. Stop living in the past 343!!!

rokkerkory

I am patiently wait to see where the trade off was at E3. If they are able to get SP at least 900p60 locked during online co-op then I am more okay with decision.

Played almost every Halo FPS main campaign on OG Xbox and 360 with local couch co-op.

Sucks that there's no local main campaign couch co-op - but I'm sure shareholders/sales pundits love it, because at least no money will be lost from people who don't have their own copy of the game getting to enjoy it somehow.

watership

Given all the complaints about 60pfs and 1080p this gen, its safe to day this is videogaming on consoles perfectly explained. Mass market hardware at an affordable price that needs to last 4+ year means that compromises have to be made. Just like all console gaming since its inception. Stinkles, you guys should demo co-op, showing the impact in frame rate, resolution and effects. Not that this will solve anything, because there will he another thread about lazy devs etc. Dammed if you do. Dammed if you don't

Woorloog

Banned
Yes but the game simulation runs at 60fps so you'd be losing a lot more than visual fidelity.

Physics, hit detection issues, stuff like that?

EDIT If yes, reminds me of claims that Source games suffer from issues if frame rate is not at least 60...

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Played almost every Halo FPS main campaign on OG Xbox and 360 with local couch co-op.

Sucks that there's no local main campaign couch co-op - but I'm sure shareholders/sales pundits love it, because at least no money will be lost from people who don't have their own copy of the game getting to enjoy it somehow.

The math for this sounds compelling at first blush but doesn't actually work like that. Couch players are usually either "extra" participants who would not buy the game or console anyway, people who already have the game in another location or relatives in the same house who absolutely would not buy a second console. So there are no "extra " sales to stretch for and actually a better argument for couch participants being slightly compelled to buy their own console.

Long story short, this is not a business decision it's a quality decision.

Physics, hit detection issues, stuff like that?

EDIT If yes, reminds me of claims that Source games suffer from issues if frame rate is not at least 60...

Yes and other more technically challenging aspects you may glimpse at E3.

Montresor

After reflecting on this some more, it is a disappointment that there is no splitscreen co-op, but I realize I don't care that much. However, this is from the perspective of someone who has only played Halo CE.

I am a HUGE Gears fan, and I loved playing those games in co-op. I would be very disappointed if the next Gears did not have split-screen co-op, but I would get over it pretty easily I imagine. I'm not difficult to please.

It's a disappointment, and a nuisance, but not something that would be a dealbreaker for me.

AlStrong

Looking forward to it!

Thank you for taking the time to chime in on the matter.

I've only barely got an understanding of some of the complications of split-screen from the SIGGRAPH presentation on Reach's visibility culling.

Shadders

It's a real shame, but I haven't played couch co-op since Halo 3.

I have a couple of Xbox Ones now and will probably buy another if they announce a Halo 5 one so this isn't really an issue that affects me.

I get why people are upset though, it's frustrating when sequels lose features that you loved in previous games.

Just as a complete random comment. Imagine we had split screen co op, but still had to pay for maps and it only shipped with 10 maps at launch. Basically decisions have to be made. I can understand some upset over it. I know people deffo played it, but some of the extreme comments. jeeez

I know people will return with "why cant we just have it all" becuase you just cant thats why. Time and budget and man power don't allow for such things sadly. I'll play co op over xbox live.

Edit. Reading a lot of the comments and quiet a few are like "14 years ago i played co op halo with my bro, it was awesome, Fuck you 343" that memory still exists. try creating some new memorys, we've never had a 60 fps halo before. I'm still hyped, I understand the dissapointment and think its fair for people to air it out. Not to some of the extremes in here tho, by some people. It's a game. I'd love to know who actually owns an xbox one out of those people (just curiosity)

^This x 1000.

The idea that we want and deserve it all is a poison to the industry. I am hopeful that this example from 343i to include 20 maps at lunch and an additional 15 maps for free is a trend that continues. But to do this kind of effort, they likely had to sacrifice on some areas. Maybe it was split screen. Or maybe that feature would have been gone regardless. There is hardly a huge urge by consumers for that mode today anyhow. I dont recall a single game that advertises the feature. I haven't used a split screen mode since the PS2 era. Once online coop was introduced, the extra real estate on screen was the way to fully experience the game for me. Some will obviously miss the feature, but it is being blow extremely out of proportion, but its the internet, and this is its purpose.

KORNdoggy

I am hopeful that this example from 343i to include 20 maps at lunch and an additional 15 maps for free is a trend that continues. .

killzone tried, other companies still charged for maps. starhawk tried, other companies still charged for maps. halo will try, and other companies will still charge for maps. sadly you need the CODs and the BF's to really start off trends like that. exclusives never will.

The math for this sounds compelling at first blush but doesn't actually work like that. Couch players are usually either "extra" participants who would not buy the game or console anyway, people who already have the game in another location or relatives in the same house who absolutely would not buy a second console. So there are no "extra " sales to stretch for and actually a better argument for couch participants being slightly compelled to buy their own console.

Long story short, this is not a business decision it's a quality decision.

Whatever $tinkles. We know it's really about the money.

On the reals though, losing split screen is disappointing. However, the amount I would play halo 5 split screen compared to other games in the series, is really minimal if at all. So at least in this case, not too big of a loss at least for me.

AO1JMM

Banned
Whatever $tinkles. We know it's really about the money.

On the reals though, losing split screen is disappointing. However, the amount I would play halo 5 split screen compared to other games in the series, is really minimal if at all. So at least in this case, not too big of a loss at least for me.

Smh

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
It sucks, but I can understand the decision if it was going to severely impact the overall game.

I have to imagine there's some Moms and Dads out there who would have loved to sit down with their kids and play split screen coop with their kids like they did with the first Halo.

killzone tried, other companies still charged for maps. starhawk tried, other companies still charged for maps. halo will try, and other companies will still charge for maps. sadly you need the CODs and the BF's to really start off trends like that. exclusives never will.

Agreed. The main mp games like CoD and BF have to start this, but they have proven that they can cbarge and make much more money from those sales. Looks at all those who bought the Destiny season pass and never went back to play the added mp maps (myself included).

Didnt Killzone SF charge for some mp stuff. Was it modes? I know it had a season pass of some kind. Were all maps free? (I own it, so I'd be interested in them, but saw a season pass so I assumed it was paid mp maps)

link1201

0X2nnPx.gif

Ooohhh tell me more! lol

To me it's just a vestigial feature. It sucks for those that might have enjoyed it but if it makes it a better product in terms of having more time to focus on other features then I'm all for it.

343 and Microsoft just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Halo culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame and especially SPLIT SCREEN COOP are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in other fps games where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Halo, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the Halo public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Halo 5 for Xbox One, nor will they purchase any of 343i's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but 343i has alienated an entire market with this move.

343i, publicly apologize and put in SPLIT SCREEN COOP for Halo 5 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

I don't even play or care about Halo but +100 to this post!

Kappa

Madness

Yes but the game simulation runs at 60fps so you'd be losing a lot more than visual fidelity.

Does this mean 'locked' 60 fps? I'm in agreement, while yeah it's a loss to lose it, I don't think it'll impact too many in the long run, especially with no gold needed for coop, the fact everything runs on dedicated servers. My younger cousins all just game separately from their own rooms with all their friends. Plus, split screen multi-player is still in.

Seeing comments such as drop the frame rate to make split screen happen, while in a generation complaining that games are not 60 fps makes me hate the gaming community

Xizk

I have played all Halo games in split-screen and it's made the experience so much better. Was looking forward to doing it again with this game but guess I'm not getting it now. Really disappointed in this decision. And it's frustrating to see people being glad that they removed a feature that they admit they don't even use.

Eoin

Seeing comments such as drop the frame rate to make split screen happen, while in a generation complaining that games are not 60 fps makes me hate the gaming community
Why? The suggested drop would have only occurrd in split screen and Halo was perfectly playable at 30fps. It would have remained 60fps in full screen.

DOG3NZAKA

Banned

Exactly.

What the hell do you people want?!?

Sure, Halo has always been 30 fps, but since this game was specifically designed to be played at 60, it would offer a totally different experience. I can see why the devs opted to take it out. But yeah, still sucks for those who like local coop

urbanOSU

Banned
As broken as the MCC was, I picked up, and my sons and i played the campaign split screen. Had a blast.Brought back alot of memories of the original xbox, and how awesome the original Halo was. This may have been the only thing that worked right in the MCC. Very disappointed to say the least. Was hoping after what I considered a lackluster Halo 4, that 343 could right the ship. Hopefully enough backlash can get them to reconsider

link1201

I have played all Halo games in split-screen and it's made the experience so much better. Was looking forward to doing it again with this game but guess I'm not getting it now. Really disappointed in this decision. And it's frustrating to see people being glad that they removed a feature that they admit they don't even use.
I don't think anyone is glad its gone just for the sake of it being gone. Apparently there would have to be sacrifices made to make it happen. People who don't use the feature are glad I suppose because now there's isn't that problem.

Falagard

Drop the framerate while playing split-screen is not the same as drop the frame rate in general.

Personally I think the physics and networking should be (and probably are) de-coupled from the frame rate so it won't break the simulation no matter what the frame rate is.

For example, the physics calculations in games like Forza run at a much higher rate than 60 times per second even when the game was running on an Xbox 360 as 30 FPS.

I am skeptical that frame rate is the technical limitation for dropping split screen in co-op. I'd think it's more likely that they would have bigger difficulties with their streaming levels into and out of memory and handling more open levels.

For example, if you get two players playing on the same Xbox who run in different directions in the level, (and remember the Game Informer mentioned more open and divergent paths in campaign) that means that all the stuff that is visible to both players has to be completely loaded on that Xbox.

One player playing on a single Xbox has the benefit of being able to only load what is visible for that player, and unloading stuff that is no longer visible as they move away from it.

A better "sell" to us players would be to say the reason split screen was dropped was because of the more open and detailed environments.

So gaming is your only reason to be social?

Its one of my hobbies, and I like to game with other people, friends come over, instead of playing with complete strangers on the other side of the world.

So when I have friends and they ask "lets play some games..." I guess I have to say "nope...we cant".

Besides, my best gaming memories are of playing with friends, not killstreaks, not 2888k kills with 1 bullet. Just good old couch fun.

Top Bottom