• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Beta Update Program Announced

At this point, it's just more noise. This was supposed to have been a collection to unite all Halo's on one system, one disc. This shouldn't have needed any fucking patches. This shouldn't even have released in the state it was in.

343 just needs to come out and talk about what went wrong. They need to start owning up to their mistakes. We got one "we owe you" and promises of some new stuff, but what good is that when the game doesn't even work? It's a joke.

There are some great people working at 343, but I have no sympathy remaining for the company as a whole.
The funny thing is the game is still selling in a broken state but none of those individuals are eligible for the apologetic content they're releasing in the spring.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
betakhuvy.png

HTupolev

Can we finally agree that this is worst than DriveClub?
DriveClub is more baffling given the missing features after so much delay, but as someone who owned both since near their respective launches, MCC has felt like a vastly worse situation.

Even with online functionality down, DC's promised single-player stuff was well-built, stable, and fun (and IMO the game plays best in time-trial anyway). Now, with weather and challenges, it fairly smoothly provides just about everything I want from it.

I got MCC because it provided access to console online MP for CE and Halo 2. In that capacity it was practically unplayable at launch, and even today it's a load of crap. Other modes are things I either don't care about or have elsewhere.. And for the stuff I have elsewhere, porting issues and bugs mean I'd mostly rather play the originals.

//=========

DriveClub has provided value to me since the beginning, and it's grown into a phenomenal game that will just keep getting better. MCC was worthless to me at launch, and it still isn't demonstrating much value.

VinFTW

So have I missed something, or is this simply a beta for the next update? Because as far as I can tell, people ITT are losing their minds over some kind of imagined scenario where MCC is now "entering Beta", which seems completely unsupported by the link in OP.

No, you're right.

IMO, I hope they enact this system for all future updates across all MS/343 titles.

It'll save a lot of people time and hope. Blizzard, Valve, a lot of people do it. It's a great system.

But, Beta is a bad choice of words.

Not sure how you can clean that up lol good luck

Considering that pretty much every MCC patch so far has made me firmly believe that 343i's B team is making these patches a beta for a big update seems right

I think they've all been small pieces of the larger puzzle. It's still broke ass broke for me.

This was my most anticipated game of 2014. I love Halo... but so broke ass broke.

It's a shame that we need a beta for this patch and a large scale fix but I really want this game to work.

gunner13

Neo Member
I thought this game was fixed December 19th???? Anyone who bought it after was buying a working game with no compensation needed for those purchasers???? Christmas Noobs get bent is the message I see.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
No, you're right. It's the same thing that countless other games do - Valve's games, Blizzard's games, and many other companies allow you to opt in to a beta for future updates separate from the main game.

the difference being those games work and you opt in to see new features and changes not to have a functioning copy of the game 2 months after you bought it.

Quick someone put up the bat signal to see if we can get a 343 response. I want a formal apology for everything. I'm talking calligraphy and wax seal.

Q: What is included in the content update you are testing in Xbox One Preview program?

A: This content update includes changes to the Halo: The Master Chief Collection matchmaking experience and party system. We will have more details to share as we get closer to the official release.

I assumed content update meant new content, seems more like network infrastructure update beta to me...

zychi

Banned
Try to fix their broken product? I'd rather they don't ship a broken product in the first place.

I am not going to point and laugh at a developer for trying to fix a problem. I can however voice my issues with the fact that product was broken in the first place.

Condemning them for making attempts to try and fix the issue doesn't really make any sense to me.

read the post directly under yours that i'm quoting. you couldn't get a refund if you tried. they took the money and ran. let me sell you a car with no way to put tires on, come back in 6 months and maybe i'll try figuring out a way to fix it.

mean while, test drive my 2015 model for the same price and be sure to order it early!

RBK

Banned
The funny thing is the game is still selling in a broken state but none of those individuals are eligible for the apologetic content they're releasing in the spring.

They're not missing out on anything special.

I just hope my ODST copy comes in the form of a code so I can sell it.

Amazing at the amount of people surprised by this. Plenty of games have test servers specifically to test updates before they go live. WoW does and so do Moba's like LoL. Not a big deal. In fact more companies should do this so updates don't ruin games already released with more bugs (dragon age inquisition on pc) for example.

NBtoaster

It's a beta update, not the game. Steam does this all the time.

Predictably, people are just seeing a word and jumping at an opportunity to make a quip.

read the post directly under yours that i'm quoting. you couldn't get a refund if you tried. they took the money and ran. let me sell you a car with no way to put tires on, come back in 6 months and maybe i'll try figuring out a way to fix it.

mean while, test drive my 2015 model for the same price and be sure to order it early!

I owned it for 2 weeks and got a refund in 5 minutes of online chat with support as did many others.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wow. Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

It's a beta update, not the game. Steam does this all the time.

Predictably, people are just seeing a word and jumping at an opportunity to make a quip.

It's just a touchy subject with MCC in general even knowing it's a beta test for an update.

Naminator

Banned
I'm confused the the reactions people are having, DICE has done this with the Battlefield games for a while, MS does this with their preview program for the Xbox One OS.

But honestly, not surprised at all.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Well is not posting in this thread so I think he will be fine.

I am. And jokes aside (and we deserve every one of them) this is an important step for what I hope will be a transformative rather than iterative update.

The testers will be playing in a very small population so don't expect to see miracles on streams, on the contrary, the tiny population will make matchmaking ironically tougher for the testers. But we appreciate and need their effort. And they'll help us make it right for you guys.

I am. And jokes aside (and we deserve every one of them) this is an important step for what I hope will be a transformative rather than iterative update.

The testers will be playing in a very small population so don't expect to see miracles on streams, on the contrary, the tiny population will make matchmaking ironically tougher for the testers. But we appreciate and need their effort. And they'll help us make it right for you guys.
Stinkles, I want to rebuy this, I really do. But the campaign progress issues are stopping me (save and exit mid level loses progress). Are they on the roadmap for a fix?

Also well done for keeping so chill in threads that must be hard to read sometimes.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Stinkles, I want to rebuy this, I really do. But the campaign progress issues are stopping me (save and exit mid level loses progress). Are they on the roadmap for a fix?

Also well done for keeping so chill in threads that must be hard to read sometimes.

Everything is planned to be fixed. This beta test is of an update that drastically overhauls some of the underlying issues, rather than trying to fix them bit by bit.

Vinc

Ok this is funny. Really glad they're fixing it!

Not trying to derail the thread, but is anyone else still waiting on their free month of Xbox Live? I still haven't gotten a message or email (launch MCC player and current owner of physical copy, Canadian, current XBL subscriber until April of 2017)

Everything is planned to be fixed. This beta test is of an update that drastically overhauls some of the underlying issues, rather than trying to fix them bit by bit.
Roger. Thanks for the reply.

Really hope this patch does what you guys think it will. I certainly appreciate the tenacity being shown in fixing it. The tecchie in me would love to see a postmortem one day on the issues and lessons learned, perhaps at a future techready as we (FTEs) can probably learn a lot from it.

Top Bottom