• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection should be recalled

JaggedSac

Is this normal ?

did I kill most my teammate ?? Am i looking wrong ?

And lag sucks so bad !

WP_20141216_006.jpg

WP_20141216_007.jpg

Yeah, looks like it.

I'm really confused as to how this game was reviewed. Seems like theres really only two options:

A. Reviewers played multi in some sort of extremely controlled environment where everything worked. When you consider how fucked up the game was though, this seems somewhat unlikely.

B. They knew about it and lied.

C Didnt play it. Just assumed it was ok.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity/incompetence.

OneUh8

That's the part that bothers me. Communication is the least people can expect.

This is my biggest issue with all of this. I understand things happen and making games is not easy. Just communicate with the fans. Say what you want but at least with Driveclub, Evolution was constantly posting and giving updates and saying their sorry. It goes a long way.

Kssio_Aug

This is my biggest issue with all of this. I understand things happen and making games is not easy. Just communicate with the fans. Say what you want but at least with Driveclub, Evolution was constantly posting and giving updates and saying their sorry. It goes a long way.

That is something everyone is asking all the time here and at Halowaypoint. But it seems they just dont give a damn anymore.

That is something everyone is asking all the time here and at Halowaypoint. But it seems they just dont give a damn anymore.

Like why am I getting important updates and acknowledgement of bugs through Bravo's @ replies on twitter? Thats insane.

Patches release at random times once a week, followed by a list of vague patch notes (cmon, with the crazy amount of issues you're really just gonna put "matchmaking stability" as a fix?).

The only place i see anyone from 343 acknowledge bugs is bravo's @ replies. Just "team is aware" or "ill pass this along to the team". We get word of a new patch coming sometimes from bonnie ross or bravo's @ saying "targeting early next week" or something.

How is targeting early next week not plastered on your website? Can we hear from the team? Whats going on? When are more fixes planned? Whats going to be in the next patch? What is the issue(s) that caused all this? Do you intend to fix X bug? What are you going to do to make this up to your fanbase? When will major promised features that have seemingly been put on the back burner be in the damn game (ranks, playlists, dedicated servers)?

angrygnat

A precedent was set. You look at the fact that GTA5 Heists was a huge selling point for the game. Were still waiting. BF4 took months to fix. Drive Club is making incremental progress. Supposedly it was a free to PS+ subscriber launch game. Then it wasn't. AC Unity. Colonial Marines. Now MCC. On and on. Kyle Bossman has a really good take on this. Wish I had a link but it's on Gametrailers YouTube channel. It's not going to ever be fixed. Game publishers have a vested interest in releasing games ASAP ready or not.

iso135

A precedent was set. You look at the fact that GTA5 Heists was a huge selling point for the game. Were still waiting. BF4 took months to fix. Drive Club is making incremental progress. Supposedly it was a free to PS+ subscriber launch game. Then it wasn't. AC Unity. Colonial Marines. Now MCC. On and on. Kyle Bossman has a really good take on this. Wish I had a link but it's on Gametrailers YouTube channel. It's not going to ever be fixed. Game publishers have a vested interest in releasing games ASAP ready or not.

Truthfully, I think this means we need to buy less games Day 1. We are all (myself included) part of the problem. Wait until we get word that the game works as expected and pick it up a week after launch. Easier said than done, though. The hype gets us all.

Truthfully, I think this means we need to buy less games Day 1. We are all (myself included) part of the problem. Wait until we get word that the game works as expected and pick it up a week after launch. Easier said than done, though. The hype gets us all.

Its tough to blame consumers. I know games have released broken before, but jeez, 2014 was like an avalanche. I really hope there is a real shift in purchasing habits after this year

EYEL1NER

Wow, this is under the radar isn't it. MS would be thanking their lucky stars about that. I had no idea this game was that bad
I'm wondering if it will blow up at all after Christmas, when every kid who currently has this sitting under their tree is able to pop it into their console and let out a loud "What the fuck is this shit?!" upon trying to play.

Mononoke

Banned
Even if 343i spoke now what MORE do you expect them to say? At this point actions speak louder than words; once (and if!) they fix the game I'm sure they'll have a lot of talking to do.

At this point looking at every site, video, and Facebook post, I see only masses and masses of hate or "fix the game", even on Halo 5 Beta videos.

They can't even show their faces in the (metaphorical internet) public until the patching reaches a satisfactory level. The issues are known, the patches are weekly, at this point we're all just waiting for the game to be fixed.

I expect MS to apologize and do right by their customers since they are the ones that set the deadline for the devs. The least they can do is let customers know they can get a refund without hassle (which isn't entirely the case right now). That's the least they could do.

This idea we should just sit on our hands and wait for the patches, because it's the only real thing to be done is total bs.

Played again last night and was experiencing the exact same problem that I did the night before with the "failed to connect" when in a party.

Basically if you hit that error everyone in your party needs to do a hard reset of their console, because there is no way to determine which party member is causing the issue.

After doing the hard reset you're able to play a couple rounds until you hit the next "failed to connect" error.

Matchmaking with a party currently requires way too much patience and collaboration to put up with the workarounds. Playing Halo matchmaking solo with a bunch of teammates who don't communicate is an awful experience.

jelly

I'm wondering if it will blow up at all after Christmas, when every kid who currently has this sitting under their tree is able to pop it into their console and let out a loud "What the fuck is this shit?!" upon trying to play.

Before or after the patch...

This game has frustrated me to no end, especially in trying to play with a party of friends. Out of all the game failures, this one takes the cake easily for me. I ended up selling my XB1 because of this entire mess.

It's unfortunate I waited so long that my physical copies value dropped. Should have jumped off the train after 2 weeks at max rather then so late.

Don't forget they have to wait the however many hours long to update the system, then the however many hours to install/update the game, only for it to be pretty damn broken!

Leyasu

Banned
server power has nothing to do with it, its hardly even using dedis

The halo 5 beta will probably run better than this!!

One whiff of p2p or a p2p fallback on the beta (basically bullshit for their incompetence, titanfall doesn't need a p2p fallback so why should halo?) And my fight with halo will be finished.

And I know a lot of other people who will drop the series if the promised dedicated servers aren't there.

Don't forget they have to wait the however many hours long to update the system, then the however many hours to install/update the game, only for it to be pretty damn broken!

This is actually a nice little PSA.

If you are getting someone a console for the holidays, preload their games and download system updates for them before christmas morning

Webhead

Banned
Yeah this is pretty ridiculous. I bought it the day it was released and have yet to play one multiplayer game. On the rare chance I actually connect, the lag is so bad I can't do anything. Thank goodness I have online Smash Bros. to play.

I did play some local multiplayer with two buddies. Is it just me or are there random frame rate drops in local multiplayer games?

hawk2025

Fiest they will wait all day to download the 10+GB day one patch, which I imagine already goes a long way in annoying people.

Majanew

Banned
This game is a complete fuck up. From mp issues, to sp save issues, to dropped frames in single-player, to atrocious frame drops in split screen. Maybe MS/343 should keep Saber Interactive and Certain Affinity away from their games.

I say bring on the nasty articles. The game is still a mess.

Why haven't we seen more articles about this? Surely if this was such a big seller for Microsoft then many users would benefit from the info?

And certainly it would help people who haven't bought it yet to think twice....

DrPreston

I just got a refund from them on live chat. I actually bought both a physical and digital copy of the game so I still own it. I was too excited to wait for the delivery so bought the digital copy so I could play from midnight at launch.

You either have way too much money or way too little patience.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It's disappointing that gaming journalism didn't hold these issues against the score of the package like they did for AC:Unity.

Why haven't we seen more articles about this? Surely if this was such a big seller for Microsoft then many users would benefit from the info?

And certainly it would help people who haven't bought it yet to think twice....

Theres been a lot. Polygon, otaku, joystiq, all about broken games, and all with MCC as the highlight.

It's disappointing that gaming journalism didn't hold these issues against the score of the package like they did for AC:Unity.

Well to be fair to journalists... Most of the problems wouldn't crop up on a single player binge play through on normal.

I don't think reviewers were even given a chance to test the matchmaking as I recall that being delayed right till launch.

A fully-functioning modern online Bungie game is currently 10 points lower on Metacritic than a non-working set of old online Bungie games rehashed by Microsoft.

IGN is the most disappointing because of the inconsistency in their reviews

LBP3: 6.8 - citing game breaking bugs that make progressing a serious challenge at times

Halo MCC: 9.0 - hopefully the MP issues get sorted out

Dubz

#day2

#day14

I'm giving all releases a 2-week window to hear from actual people who actually played the game (or were unable to if it's broken) before I buy ANY game from now on. I don't care who made it. It seems even the biggest names in gaming aren't immune to greed and hubris (BF4, Halo, Driveclub, Ass Creed, to name a few).

A fully-functioning modern online Bungie game is currently 10 points lower on Metacritic than a non-working set of old online Bungie games rehashed by Microsoft.

To be fair, Desitny has a laundry list of problems of its own. It's nothing but a monotonous grind fest thinly veiled as a wannabe sci-fi space opera, when in reality it's just Borderlands without the personality. I was drinking the cool-aid too for a while, but Destiny really is a joke.

At least with MCC I can play through the 4 campaigns and experience a REAL story instead of the farse of a story Destiny tries to pass off ham-fistedly. Granted Halo 4's plot kinda veers off in a weird direction, but if all I get to do is play Halo 1-3, and occassionaly 4, and never get matchmaking working properly, I'd still prefer that over Destiny in the long run.

So I'm not at all surprised Destiny is lower on Metacritic.

Leyasu

Banned
Fuck destiny and keep it on topic people.

Anyway after playing some halo 4 swat last night, I think that perhaps they should turn off the multiplayer until the dedicated servers are working atleast.

This game is crippled by lag and host advantage

Top Bottom