• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection will have a 20GB day one "content update".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
and the cycle continues.

Tvzzwdf.gif

gPjXZII.gif

Calm down. I edited once I realised.

Wait, so the X1 right now doesnt have the capability to install off the second disc? How the hell did they miss that? We hit that limit less than a year after release. And GTAV looks like it will be blowing past it too.

The X360 was able to do this FFS!

Caayn

Wait, so the X1 right now doesnt have the capability to install off the second disc? How the hell did they miss that? We hit that limit less than a year after release. And GTAV looks like it will be blowing past it too.

Two completely different operating systems. It's not strange, if true, that the Xbox One can't handle two different install discs for one executable. Why build an option when you don't expect it to be used in the near future, you'll dedicate your valuable dev time for other options that are more likely to be used in the near future.

Microsoft, and I'm guessing a lot of us as well, didn't expect games to require more than 50GB of storage this soon in the generation.

Downloaded and pinned to home. Now to wait for the update!

I wish I could "finish" the download. I decided to just leave the system on and got the download to 73% before heading off to bed thinking in the morning it would be done...nope...back to 46%.

So nothing works for me as far as the Always-on option or Energy saving option, the download always reverts to a previous % of completeness.

Edit: Oh joy...back to 31%.

well the 360 didn't have an install option at all until... 2009? maybe later then that.

It's a bit of a shame the xbox one doesn't support such a thing yet but tbh I never thought we would see games bigger then 50GB at this point, not in the way the MCC is going over the disc space anyway.

Ataxia

I wish I could "finish" the download. I decided to just leave the system on and got the download to 73% before heading off to bed thinking in the morning it would be done...nope...back to 46%.

So nothing works for me as far as the Always-on option or Energy saving option, the download always reverts to a previous % of completeness.

Edit: Oh joy...back to 31%.

I know those feels. I've used some 70GB of bandwidth allowance trying to download this game and I'm only on 75%

penHF2y.png

I know those feels. I've used some 70GB of bandwidth allowance trying to download this game and I'm only on 75%

penHF2y.png

I am going to give it one more go with the system left off with it downloading in standby mode without interruption (turning the system on) which supposedly actually works. I need a break from Destiny anyways.

Then again, with my DSL speed it will take about 38 hours to complete. This all seems so silly so I may just cancel the digital order (I am also getting retail as well which I had planned to give to my son - looks like I may need 2 retail copies) which you can do...

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/games/pre-order-faq

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Guys the download function is bugged on OS level. Just don't pre-load it now. I think it was already said earlier in this thread. Wait for a week, you will still have plenty of time to pre-load it.

Lucifon

No need to call bs. Anything is feasible, it simply wasn't practical for this product, this year in this timeline. The Xbox One platform continues to improve and mature, arguably faster and more meaningfully than others and maybe next year two discs or some other method would have been the right approach, but this year it's the option we have available that on balance, makes the most sense for this giant, ambitious project.

Do I understand the inconvenience and annoyance for some users? Of course. I'm not going to blow smoke or ignore it.

For some folks it will be straight up annoying and I both apologize unreservedly for the irritance, and hope that the package and the way it works more than makes up for it.

I've been playing the whole enchilada for a week now and the ability to sample, jump from aspect to aspect, customize with skulls and playlists has been absolutely addictive and mesmerizing.

I think I would have enjoyed a box set with the same fidelity, but the way it all connects has for me at least, made it more than the sum of its parts.

So while there are a couple of warriors in here with redundant agendas and concern trolls, I also get that 20 gigs is a fair old chunk of bits and it is not ideal. Most players will have a smooth and happy experience. The game will launch (including digital version) before installation is complete, so there is plenty of content to play around in while the red installs.

And we are continuing to look at ways to reduce that inconvenience.

I personally have pretty lame internet and I am doing everything via wifi, but my installation and immediate play were all pretty buttery.

So I'm guessing the XBO doesn't currently support games on multiple discs at the moment? As all games install to the HDD the disc is only used as verification now, so multiple discs shouldn't require any swapping?

jelly

It's a possible oversight like many features of these consoles either missing or version 1.0 early this generation but how on earth did they not see it coming during development and plan to patch in the feature. Like us, maybe 343 thought obviously Xbox One supports a second install disc, 360 did or they knew, told the OS team who didn't plan ahead or at all leaving them no choice or Xbox bosses made the choice of download only for whatever reason, cost, pushing digital purchases. Who knows, it's done anyway. Hopefully a two disc option in the future if it just was a lack of feature support and not shady ways.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Yep, right back at my first post in this thread here.

I'm sorry that I went off on you like that, & I apologize, because it's not your fault.

All I'm asking from posters everywhere here, is to start treating me fairly, & with respect. If people are gonna start bashing me for saying what I said, then start getting on other posters for doing the same thing as well.

Respect, & equal/fair treatment. That's all I ask.

Other Posters Too ®

madmackem

Its a bit of a pisstake but it is what it is thye cant get around it at this moment. Id rather they took the space rather than cut something or things not being as seamless etc. Digital copy for me anyway.

Yoday

I can understand the reasoning behind not wanting the user to swap discs, but this 20GB download just isn't practical for a lot of people. They should have released it on two discs with the single player portion on one disc and the MP on the other disc to minimize the disc swapping, and then had the 20GB worth of data available as an optional download for those that have the capacity to handle it and want to eliminate the need to swap discs.

Tegernako

Banned
I can understand the reasoning behind not wanting the user to swap discs, but this 20GB download just isn't practical for a lot of people. They should have released it on two discs with the single player portion on one disc and the MP on the other disc to minimize the disc swapping, and then had the 20GB worth of data available as an optional download for those that have the capacity to handle it and want to eliminate the need to swap discs.
Okay, people directly above you and in numerous other occasions have stated that the XB1 probably doesn't support multiple discs right now in the OS. When Stinkles says it's their only option right now, that's probably the reason why.

GECK

Swapping discs isn't practical for plenty of people in 2014.

Vestal

Gold Member

Would have had to recode a lot of the disc logic in order to prevent people from buying one copy and then splitting discs between friends.

Two completely different operating systems. It's not strange, if true, that the Xbox One can't handle two different install discs for one executable. Why build an option when you don't expect it to be used in the near future, you'll dedicate your valuable dev time for other options that are more likely to be used in the near future.

Microsoft, and I'm guessing a lot of us as well, didn't expect games to require more than 50GB of storage this soon in the generation.

Well, this is really not the case here though. This would be more like installing a patch/update from the disc instead of downloading it from the internet. Maybe they didn't want to allow that as it could be used for piracy.

Swapping discs isn't practical for plenty of people in 2014.

As if you would really need to do that. Now games install everything to the HDD, so you would only need to install each disc once.

Leyasu

Banned
I just hope that they are tweaking in a chose a datacenter option...

Come on stinkles, you are a development director, you should be able to answer this.

Petrae

Not sure if serious. I really hope we haven't reached a level of laziness where someone doesn't find it practical to walk up to their xbox and swap a disc.

But that's... work. If I can't do that from my chair, forget it. No sale. Now, I'm trying to watch this... infomercial here. Sure, I'd change the channel, but the remote is on the table over there. Too much work to go get it, so I'll just watch this instead.

JaggedSac

So this is already a known problem and they are trying to fix it? Good to know.

Well, I have no idea if they know about it or are fixing it, but you seem to have an ISP that throttles and this game will take up a huge chunk of your allotted amount. Would be best in my opinion to just wait till the end of the month before starting the download so October isn't throttle for half the month.

EDIT: I see that it wasn't you who I initially posted to, lol.

Sephzilla

I'd just throw in that I'd gladly spend an extra few bucks to get a second disc that has the patch data all on it. I'd much rather pay a few extra bucks for a disc and then not be dependent on downloading from an Xbox Live server that's likely going to be getting pounded on launch night for MCC.

Wereroku

how are some of the clowns in this thread not getting banned

no wonder gaf's gaming side is getting such a bad rep

Because there is only so much the mods can do. If you see something ban worthy don't complain about it in the thread just send a PM to a mod with the links and they will investigate it.

Omoshai

Neo Member
I already explained how I feel on this, but honestly still can't understand MS/343 possible reasons other than to save a couple of cents on the extra disk.

People have said this is possibly a API/Xbox issue as it cannot use two disks issues.

Problem I have is this:

- We know that this has been a routinely simple thing for all computers to do for at least 20 years or more. Its a pretty basic API. We know that even the original Xbox had this due to the way they implemented the Extra Maps for Halo 2 for those who bought it on a disk.

- We know that all games are installed and run off the hard-drive.

- We know that Xbox One can link two pieces of content together which came from two different places, such as DLC and with games that come from a disk.

Therefore the only difference to me appears to be the method of delivery. As explained above, all content runs from the hard-drive. What possible reason would linking extra content from the hard-drive which came from the internet be possible, but not if it originally came from a disk?

I am not a programmer, so please feel free to enlighten me if you genuinely know this. I would say this would be a rather simple update to the Xbox One at best, for something which should have been there in the beginning. if it’s happened now within a year of release, it’s going to likely happen again. Especially if devs want to include uncompressed audio files.

Sephzilla

Just curious, has there been any word on whether or not the patch is going to be made pre-loadable for physical buyers as well? I have to imagine they are looking into the possibility of it - otherwise day one of MCC is going to probably be a nightmare for their servers.

Syrus

Banned
Do people not realize alot of games are 30-50 GB or more now? It sucks but it is what it is. This new sucks for people with low caps and speeds but your in for a tough ride the rest of your gaming lives.

MS may fix their two disc thing but DLC and patches will be big this generation

This collection is massive

how are some of the clowns in this thread not getting banned

no wonder gaf's gaming side is getting such a bad rep

It's hilarious watching a certain poster whine about how badly he's being treated. First time on GAF I've ever seen someone complain about consistently being where they're not wanted and encountering resistance.

Haruko

Therefore the only difference to me appears to be the method of delivery. As explained above, all content runs from the hard-drive. What possible reason would linking extra content from the hard-drive which came from the internet be possible, but not if it originally came from a disk?

I'm guessing it's something simple like: the 20GB update isn't ready yet, and the game discs needed to go gold. Can't make a second disc for it if the content for it isn't quite ready...

Since the digital download doesn't include it yet, I imagine they are still finishing work on the update.

Omoshai

Neo Member
Hmmmmmmmm

I am not a programmer, so please feel free to enlighten me if you genuinely know this

I guess you "somehow" missed the part right next to your quote

Incredible

I'm guessing it's something simple like: the 20GB update isn't ready yet, and the game discs needed to go gold. Can't make a second disc for it if the content for it isn't quite ready...

Since the digital download doesn't include it yet, I imagine they are still finishing work on the update.

Thats true, from Frankie's post yesterday this didn't seem to be the case but it would make a lot more sense. Shipping a third of your game digitally when people buy a disk just comes off poorly to me.

Guess if your internet is good enough/no caps its hard to empathise but its a real let down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom