• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection will have a 20GB day one "content update".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wereroku

So judging by number of posts , 20gb update is bigger issue than online portion of online focused game not working for weeks after release...and not releasing promised free versions for weeks

Interesting...

Quick handwave Driveclub into a MCC thread because reasons. At least just say that you think it's getting shit because it's an XBO game instead of trying to make stupid false equivalencies.

They have no place gaming nor any form of media rich service. Why the hell would you put yourself on a cap unless you have no money, if that is the case then priorites need to be assesed with gaming being so costly. Unlimited internet is cheap so I doubt that is the case.

You realize in the US ISP companies have government allowed monopolies in many places and literally have 1 choice for internet service right? In many places your only option for better internet is to move.

People are assuming 343 is lazy? That is so unbelievably asinine lol. It's more likely the opposite and 343 tried to do too much - and I always hate it when developers try and over achieve. :p

Seriously, people need to stop and think about what they're saying. It's okay to be upset/frustrated that there is an extra 20 gig update to the game, but this isn't some purposely anti-consumer agenda by 343 or MS. Seriously, at some point you're going to have to get over it. That's not me being insensitive, that's just me being real. It's a done deal. Suck it up. Move on people.

Some people are being a bit extreme about all this but technically they are right about it being anti-consumer. Anytime the company chooses the options that is against the consumers best interests would be anti-consumer. However I think in this case 343 has done what they could and was given a limited set of options by Microsoft.

Biker19

Banned
We get you don't have a clue about the system, don't care about the system, and only came into this thread to target something you think is something negative to cling onto without any idea how the system works. All while doing so with no interest in buying this collection. Isn't there a word or a label we call people like you who constantly do this?

There you go, starting some drama already. I did say, "I think (correct me if wrong)," because I was assuming these things because of the post from ambar_hitman that I quoted, & I even told the posters that.

You always like to start shit with me for no reason other than to annoy me, & it's getting old. Drop it.

ekgrey

There's a handy acronym to describe this mindset: FYGM. It's short for "fuck you, got mine" and as this thread has so neatly demonstrated, it's quite pervasive among the gaming community.

I also think "lemon" might be a good word to counterbalance all the allegations of "saltiness." Lemons are extremely sour and they make your face contort in a shriveled-up scowl. That's the countenance I imagine most of these people have when they're making the types of posts you reference.

this thread is the saddest thing i've seen on GAF and a nice showcase of all the things i hate about gaming culture.

Vestal

Gold Member
Some people are being a bit extreme about all this but technically they are right about it being anti-consumer. Anytime the company chooses the options that is against the consumers best interests would be anti-consumer. However I think in this case 343 has done what they could and was given a limited set of options by Microsoft.

Question.

If it truly is a techincal issue regarding the Xbox OS which requires some engineering to fix, or an issue with simply some assets still being touched up and worked on, what would be more anti consumer.

- Release on the 11th and have the 20GB patch
- Wait a month or two for the issue to be resolved.

I can guarantee you there would be rioting outside of 343 if they had pushed back the release date and the reason choice had been presented to the public.

Wereroku

Question.

If it truly is a techincal issue regarding the Xbox OS which requires some engineering to fix, or an issue with simply some assets still being touched up and worked on, what would be more anti consumer.

- Release on the 11th and have the 20GB patch
- Wait a month or two for the issue to be resolved.

I can guarantee you there would be rioting outside of 343 if they had pushed back the release date and the reason choice had been presented to the public.

It really depends on the person. Some would prefer the delay so they don't need such a large download and others would feel worse with it being delayed. As I stated 343 were between a rock and a hard place. Though really delay would never have been an option unless they found a bug so crippling it would destroy XBO's.

FordGTGuy

Banned
So judging by number of posts , 20gb update is bigger issue than online portion of online focused game not working for weeks after release...and not releasing promised free versions for weeks

Interesting...

Judging by the amount of posts any kind of controversy, no matter how small, that is related to Xbox One is big business for the gaming community and blogs.(same goes.for PS4 but usually to a much smaller degree).

This really only affects a really tiny part of the Xbox One market share and I'm sure Microsoft will figure out a work around for those people.

That's where I think people might be wrong though. Everyone is saying this is what the company "chose" to do. How do we know they chose to do anything? Game development is often a trip to the races with teams crunching to get as much done right up to the end of the deadline. If 343 ran out of time and game discs needed to be printed, while it sucks for a lot of people, it might not have been a choice at all, but the only remaining possible way to get it finished. Do people want a gimped game? No? Well, that's just the way it is for better or worse. That's why I was saying for people to move on. It's done. Anti-consumer? I don't agree with that assessment at all because it implies it was a pre-made choice and I seriously doubt it. How can it be anti-consumer if the move was made specifically so the game could actually get released? That's pro-consumer imo.

EDIT:
Judging by the amount of posts any kind of controversy, no matter how small, that is related to Xbox One is big business for the gaming community and blogs.(same goes.for PS4 but usually to a much smaller degree).
nailed it.

BriGuy

Seriously, people need to stop and think about what they're saying. It's okay to be upset/frustrated that there is an extra 20 gig update to the game, but this isn't some purposely anti-consumer agenda by 343 or MS. Seriously, at some point you're going to have to get over it. That's not me being insensitive, that's just me being real. It's a done deal. Suck it up. Move on people.

It's not purposely anti-consumer so much as it is pro-Microsoft. 343, as the developer, is guiltless. They just programmed the game. The amount of space it takes up is what it is, and it's up to the publisher to figure out the logistics of delivering it to the customer. Microsoft had the option of shipping it on multiple discs (more costly) or making people download a big chunk of the game (less costly). They chose the route that was most profitable for them.

Wereroku

That's where I think people might be wrong though. Everyone is saying this is what the company "chose" to do. How do we know they chose to do anything? Game development is often a trip to the races with teams crunching to get as much done right up to the end of the deadline. If 343 ran out of time and game discs needed to be printed, while it sucks for a lot of people, it might not have been a choice at all, but the only remaining possible way to get it finished. Do people want a gimped game? No? Well, that's just the way it is for better or worse. That's why I was saying for people to move on. It's done. Anti-consumer? I don't agree with that assessment at all because it implies it was a pre-made choice and I seriously doubt it. How can it be anti-consumer if the move was made specifically so the game could actually get released? That's pro-consumer imo.

It would still be a choice to not delay the game to give you the time to make it more consumer friendly. Again I like 343 and think they took the best choice for the XBO and themselves. Also really looking forward to this because I came to the Xbox late so I never got to experience Halo 2's mp when it was new.

jem0208

It's not purposely anti-consumer so much as it is pro-Microsoft. 343, as the developer, is guiltless. They just programmed the game. The amount of space it takes up is what it is, and it's up to the publisher to figure out the logistics of delivering it to the customer. Microsoft had the option of shipping it on multiple discs (more costly) or making people download a big chunk of the game (less costly). They chose the route that was most profitable for them.

There's also a chance that 2 discs aren't feasible.

It would still be a choice to not delay the game to give you the time to make it more consumer friendly. Again I like 343 and think they took the best choice for the XBO and themselves. Also really looking forward to this because I came to the Xbox late so I never got to experience Halo 2's mp when it was new.
They could have delayed. That's definitely true, but I think a delayed TMCC game would be worse than forcing a 20 gig update on people. Judging by this thread though, maybe i'm wrong lol.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Are you fucking kidding me?

Who are you to tell people that they have no place gaming just because they either don't have internet at all, have poor internet, or have data caps/bandwidth caps in general? Not everyone is lucky as you are; The ones who aren't so lucky don't have a choice in the matter.

It was one of the (terrible) excuses people trotted out for Xbone v1.0 too.

MS should just eat the cost of a second disc. It's going to sell a ton.

Mugatu

There's also a chance that 2 discs aren't feasible.

I don't see how but I guess it is possible. Personally, I think BriGuy nailed it perfectly. They chose to pass the cost and inconvenience onto consumers.

It might not affect everyone but it really annoys me at a minimum and also bumps me closer to my monthly data cap.

jem0208

I don't see how but I guess it is possible. Personally, I think BriGuy nailed it perfectly. They chose to pass the cost and inconvenience onto consumers.

It might not affect everyone but it really annoys me at a minimum and also bumps me closer to my monthly data cap.

Well, the two reasons I can think of is that the X1 OS currently isn't set up for it and the time it would take to make and bug fix the feature would be too long. Or they're still working on the multiplayer content and as such obviously won't be able to print it onto the discs.

Both of them are theoretically solvable by delaying the game however I feel like that would be worse than just releasing it as they are and then releasing a 2 disc version later on.

mbmonk

That is how I see it, and that is fine. As a consumers we get the choice of buying it used or at a later date and lower price point to make the equation more palatable if we prefer not to buy it new at full price.

JeffG

I can easily see a meeting where engineers are sitting around.

"Do we need to add api support for a game that would be on 2 blue rays?"

"Nobody would need that much space. Thats crazy talk"

There is a precedent for that. The initial 640kb memory limitation in DOS.

FordGTGuy

Banned
It was one of the (terrible) excuses people trotted out for Xbone v1.0 too.

MS should just eat the cost of a second disc. It's going to sell a ton.

No it wasn't and that wasn't Xbox One v1 either as it never launched.

Original argument had to do with people having internet access at all which was funny later on when Sony said 95% or more PS4s sold were connected to the internet.

I'm not defending that guys comment and neither do I agree with him but I also don't think the majority should be held back because 5% or less can't keep up right now. It's how Xbox Live started in the first place by adopting broadband and ignoring dial up when the market was just moving off of dial up.

Moving forward with technology has growing pains but that doesn't make it anti-consumer.

Hah sorry for the rant...

They accidentally put the wrong game on the disc. If you don't apply the update all you get is Kinectimals.

Still worth it... If Conker was in Kinectimals.

Bsigg12

It would be nice if you could back it up.
That way of you delete it all you don't have to download it again.

Move it all to an external? That's what I did with all my games, they're on my 4TB external so I can take them to my friend's house and we can play anything I own.

You really can't please everyone
C'mon now. A second install-disk would have made this a non-story.

Well, except for the story about how big the collection will be on the hard disk, but that entire story comes down to "there's a quad damage fuckton of game in there, of course its fucking big! God damn!".

They have no place gaming nor any form of media rich service. Why the hell would you put yourself on a cap unless you have no money, if that is the case then priorites need to be assesed with gaming being so costly. Unlimited internet is cheap so I doubt that is the case.
ipEoWroU8YIx3.gif

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
When this news came out, I honestly thought it will be like ohh really? meh...okay whatever, will have to install 20GB. little inconvenience.

But oh boy was I wrong. Argument has shifted from lazy developer, unfinished product to anti consumer and DRM shit.

May be this collection is that good, that since this is the only problem people see in it, they want to shit it out the entire thing based on this. At this point I don't even know how many genuine complains are in this thread vs people with agenda vs trolls.

Is this fucker getting a 11th global release or does the UK get the Friday bollocks as normal?

Email from Amazon

The items listed below will actually be dispatched sooner than we had originally expected based on the new release date:

"Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox One)"
Previous estimated arrival date: November 14 2014
New estimated arrival date: November 11 2014

Akai__

Is this fucker getting a 11th global release or does the UK get the Friday bollocks as normal?

Dan Ayoub confirmed 11th November for UK on Twitter and in addition to that Frankie said they will try to make it 11th in other regions too. Xbox Store in Germany said 14th November a coupple days ago and now it says 11th. I think they tried. :p

There you go, starting some drama already. I did say, "I think (correct me if wrong)," because I was assuming these things because of the post from ambar_hitman that I quoted, & I even told the posters that.

You always like to start shit with me for no reason other than to annoy me, & it's getting old. Drop it.

This was posted on the very first page of this topic,

The Master Chief Collection will take up almost all of the usable space of a single Blu-ray (45 GB), and we will also issue a content update at launch that is estimated to be 20 GB. You’ll be able to start playing Campaign and more as the content is installing, with some features and multiplayer content being added via the update. Yes, the update is large, but we weren’t about to cut corners to save disc space. This ensures that you are getting every bit of Halo goodness we can fit in. Our work is not done, however, as we continue to tune, tweak and optimize the online experience to ensure a smooth multiplayer launch. This will continue right up until launch day.

You also conveniently edited your comment, which you seem to do on just about everything you post but thanks for clarifying you have no interest in the Halo collection nor do you have any interest in the XBOX One.

When this news came out, I honestly thought it will be like ohh really? meh...okay whatever, will have to install 20GB. little inconvenience.

But oh boy was I wrong. Argument has shifted from lazy developer, unfinished product to anti consumer and DRM shit.

May be this collection is that good, that since this is the only problem people see in it, they want to shit it out the entire thing based on this. At this point I don't even know how many genuine complains are in this thread vs people with agenda vs trolls.

It is inconvenient for many because 20GB is a lot of data and some will indeed be worried about data caps but your last paragraph really comes into question with some of these people that are doing the most complaining.

People have been having complaints giant updates for a while now with plenty of other games.
As for the anti consumer claims, the only reason I can think of it as anti consumer is that you're paying for a disc that doesn't have all the content that is promised on said disc.

Magwik

Banned
I call bullshit on that.

Could be an issue at the OS level or even with the BR drives. No PS3 game has ever needed a second disc even if they could have taken advantage of it. So there is at least something to go off of that at the moment it isn't feasible versus them cutting corners.

Actually I remember downloading the bf3 patches on 360 via the Xbox live marketplace. Granted it wasn't before I had a copy but if it were on the marketplace surely it would work if you hadnt gotten the game yet. The patch would have been sitting there waiting for the game and then it could install.
Firstly, 360 is a different platform, thus not particularly indicative. Secondly, the BF3 patches weren't true patches from s technical sense, but rather "add-on content", and the game would have had to have been specially engineered to take in patches in such a way. While such approach could have been taken here, it still would have taken some amount of additional development time to implement. We have no idea how long though, at what cost, or even at what time period 343 established the need for more space.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Crazy! Glad I didn't buy an Xbone for this (I almost did)! This would take over a day on my internet and use up half my bandwidth.

cool story bro.

It is inconvenient for many because 20GB is a lot of data and some will indeed be worried about data caps but your last paragraph really comes into question with some of these people that are doing the most complaining.

People have been having complaints giant updates for a while now with plenty of other games.

Here is the thing. Games are only going to get bigger and bigger as generation goes on. I hope you guys at least agree on that? They could have released the XONE OS update to support multiple bluray disk and release this on two bluray disk. But that would fix the problem for THIS game. What about 2 years from now. what about 5 years from now. Is coming up with 2-3-4 bluray disk is a viable option? or getting improved internet is?

We all know internet is and will have to get better as time goes on, people should be complaining to their ISP and city to get better internet and not developers. 2 disk solution could have solved this problem but it doesn't solve the bigger problem we have.

People who are too extreme about this issue need to step back and think that do games need to be smaller or delivered via multiple bluray or internet needs to get better.

Crazy! Glad I didn't buy an Xbone for this (I almost did)! This would take over a day on my internet and use up half my bandwidth.
Can't fault you for not wanting to get a console for one game only, but if you were legitimately interested in the game and changed your mind because of a 20 gig update, that's too bad. A one time download of 20 gigs is a drop in the bucket (1 day of downtime or a chunk of your data for a month being used) compared to the amount of enjoyment you might be able to get out of the game.

Yep. It's impossible to tell. It would be too easy for someone not interested in the game or that just want to rag on the xbox one/MS to come over and join in on the complaining.

Bsigg12

I call bullshit on that.

We have never had this issue before so we just don't know. There isn't a single 2 disc bluray game on the PS3, PS4 or Xbox One where the second disc is used exclusively for installing a chunk of the content and then never used again. We know that when you eject a disc from the Xbox One it closes the game entirely so it could be that it just doesn't work right now and would require a update to the system to support that. We just don't know.

I'm sure 343/Microsoft will make an official statement here in the next week or so about it since the only thing we're going off is a Tweet from the game's producer.

Xenon

I love how people throw around the term "gamer's rights". You have a right to not buy the game. That is pretty much the end of that discussion, as long as they put the need for the patch on the box. It sucks for people who have a cap, and they need to consider that when they buy the game. But as I said before, it's still a great deal for the SP alone.

You don't have a right to a second disc any more than gamers had a right to the 1st one, XBO v1. People seem to be confusing a preference with their rights as a consumer.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I call bullshit on that.

No need to call bs. Anything is feasible, it simply wasn't practical for this product, this year in this timeline. The Xbox One platform continues to improve and mature, arguably faster and more meaningfully than others and maybe next year two discs or some other method would have been the right approach, but this year it's the option we have available that on balance, makes the most sense for this giant, ambitious project.

Do I understand the inconvenience and annoyance for some users? Of course. I'm not going to blow smoke or ignore it.

For some folks it will be straight up annoying and I both apologize unreservedly for the irritance, and hope that the package and the way it works more than makes up for it.

I've been playing the whole enchilada for a week now and the ability to sample, jump from aspect to aspect, customize with skulls and playlists has been absolutely addictive and mesmerizing.

I think I would have enjoyed a box set with the same fidelity, but the way it all connects has for me at least, made it more than the sum of its parts.

So while there are a couple of warriors in here with redundant agendas and concern trolls, I also get that 20 gigs is a fair old chunk of bits and it is not ideal. Most players will have a smooth and happy experience. The game will launch (including digital version) before installation is complete, so there is plenty of content to play around in while the red installs.

And we are continuing to look at ways to reduce that inconvenience.

I personally have pretty lame internet and I am doing everything via wifi, but my installation and immediate play were all pretty buttery.

jem0208

No need to call bs. Anything is feasible, it simply wasn't practical for this product, this year in this timeline. The Xbox One platform continues to improve and mature, arguably faster and more meaningfully than others and maybe next year two discs or some other method would have been the right approach, but this year it's the option we have available that on balance, makes the most sense for this giant, ambitious project.

Do I understand the inconvenience and annoyance for some users? Of course. I'm not going to blow smoke or ignore it.

For some folks it will be straight up annoying and I both apologize unreservedly for the irritance, and hope that the package and the way it works more than makes up for it.

I've been playing the whole enchilada for a week now and the ability to sample, jump from aspect to aspect, customize with skulls and playlists has been absolutely addictive and mesmerizing.

I think I would have enjoyed a box set with the same fidelity, but the way it all connects has for me at least, made it more than the sum of its parts.

So while there are a couple of warriors in here with redundant agendas and concern trolls, I also get that 20 gigs is a fair old chunk of bits and it is not ideal. Most players will have a smooth and happy experience. The game will launch (including digital version) before installation is complete, so there is plenty of content to play around in while the red installs.

There we go.

I personally have pretty lame internet and I am doing everything via wifi, but my installation and immediate play were all pretty buttery.

Maybe already been answered but if I buy it digitally at the end of this month will I have to download the patch at midnight on the 10th or will it download along with the game. Basically is the patch live NOW

Also what content does the patch add? Specifically

jem0208

Maybe already been answered but if I buy it digitally at the end of this month will I have to download the patch at midnight on the 10th or will it download along with the game. Basically is the patch live NOW

Also what content does the patch add? Specifically
Patch certainly isn't live right now, however I think Dan Ayoub said it will be live before the game launches.

I love how people throw around the term "gamer's rights". You have a right to not buy the game. That is pretty much the end of that discussion, as long as they put the need for the patch on the box. It sucks for people who have a cap, and they need to consider that when they buy the game. But as I said before, it's still a great deal for the SP alone.

You don't have a right to a second disc any more than gamers had a right to the 1st one, XBO v1. People seem to be confusing a preference with their rights as a consumer.

I agree. There's way to much of that in the "gaming community".
Did you read the EULA? Those are your rights. End of Story.

Fuck, 30 pages. Good lord.

You would think an install disc for the 20GB content would be a no brainer here. It can't have to do with the game because whether that 20GB of content is delivered via a download or an install is irrelevant. It's delivered. Surely MS can afford the couple of cents each Blu-ray Disc will cost.

and the cycle continues.

Tegernako

Banned
Snip:

Tvzzwdf.gif

You would think an install disc for the 20GB content would be a no brainer here. It can't have to do with the game because whether that 20GB of content is delivered via a download or an install is irrelevant. It's delivered. Surely MS can afford the couple of cents each Blu-ray Disc will cost.
gPjXZII.gif

Wereroku

Is there a way to let physical owners preload because that would help some people. anyway just wanted to let you know i am looking forward to the game. Are you going to so some play with the devs days?

So I'm assuming the 20GB content patch will be available before release, since Dan Ayoub said we could pre-load it, so why not let EVERYONE pre-load the content patch?

Also why is MCC pre-load only 44.5GB? Store said it was 45.6GB for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom