• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TV Showrunner to Exit Paramount Plus Series After Season 1

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The showrunner of the “Halo” series at Paramount Plus will exit the show once work on Season 1 is over, Variety has learned exclusively.

Steven Kane and Kyle Killen were both attached as co-showrunners on the series at one time. According to sources, Killen departed the project ahead of the start of production as he felt he was unable to render full-time showrunner duties during the show’s shoot in Budapest. Kane then took over as the lead showrunner.

Production is currently ongoing on Season 1 of the series, with Kane set to remain onboard through the post-production process. Should the show get picked up for a second season, however, he will not return. Kane has been in Budapest now for the past two years and wishes to return stateside for personal reasons.

A second season pickup seems likely for the series, given the high-profile nature of the underlying IP and the high level of investment on ViacomCBS’ part.

A second season pickup seems likely for the series

high quality GIF

Weren’t screenshots from the trailer leaked during E3 time? Why hasn’t the trailer been put out yet? What are these people hiding? Why is every attempt at a Halo adaptation going back to Neil Blondkamph riddled with failure?

Like it matters who any character but Master Chief and Cortana are cast as
I feel like when you are using 20 year old established characters in your show, you should at least stay somewhat close to the source material.

oh noooo, they made two characters black??? the horror....

Shut up already!
It's the fact that they look nothing like the characters lol. I wouldn't want like a ginger guy playing keyes.

It's funny to me how you see posts or comments all the time online about who would portray video game characters if they were adapted into a film or tv show. Literally every time they are someone that looks like the character. I don't know why making them look completely different is only okay and exempt from criticism if they are black

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Halo will always feel better off as a game if you ask me. If it was meant to be a good movie or TV series, someone would have made it by now. I think that’s true about video game movies. We go from people complaining about long cutscenes to making movies about the cutscenes. The one thing people can’t stand versus an entire film trying to do it justice. I really liked Halo’s lore from 1-3 and most of Reach. It just hasn’t done that. The ring, the covenant, the flood, and the story to protect earth. Master Chief isn’t exactly viewed as the world’s savior anymore. Maybe that’s because the brand had its time in the spotlight. I’m not saying it’s dead because the game is fun and Infinite multiplayer looks awesome. I just don’t exactly view the Master Chief the same way. I don’t know if a series could pull it off.

pasterpl

This show was already off to a bad start with the casting and the plot and it has only gotten worse.

o6uflmel0jx31.png
Are you another one of these idiots who care about casting choices? I cannot understand people who are angered by tv shows, or movies casting choices, unless what you are watching is documentary why would anyone care? Movies/tv series based on games have even more creative freedom as everything is made up from the very beginning. Get a life man.

real issue I have got with halo tv show is that it was in th making for very long time and there was a lot of changes in cast and crew before they have started shooting it, this doesn’t bode well.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I would be surprised if the show didn't get a second season considering the scale of the project, but they might slash the budget like Netflix has done with Altered Carbon. That's assuming it won't become a huge hit which I think it won't.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I am sorry is this your copy-paste from Resetera. Everybody here can voice their opinions. What's next..you will cast Jason Statham as Locke to overcompensate and show how color blind you are.
People have picked up on this behaviour being called hypocritical and they now refer to “punching up != punching down”, punching up being ok although it is the same action it matters who you do it against.

Still, these are not the biggest characters people recognise I guess so it is not something that should really raise eyebrows. Locke race or gender swapped would.

CuNi

People saying they don't understand people being upset with cast choices that are so far away from the source material as possible probably didn't really care due the series anyway.

People spend a huge amount of times in games and books with those characters. I wouldn't want Johnson to be white and I don't want to have keys black.

It's not about being racist or anything, it's about wanting to see the characters return that people got attached too.

Knowing what happens with keys will always be on my mind when I play halo 1 or read books. I can't say I will even remotely care for a black keys as for the one in the game because him being black means he is not "my" Keyes. It means this will be like a separate halo universe.

Ofc they can cast him as a black, it's their choice. But that won't be the Halo people grew fond with anymore. Imagine them making a black Nathan from uncharted. Sure it can still be a good movie or series, but it's not the series you grew fond off.
It's that simple.

Kev Kev

I've played every Halo game and have no idea who those characters even are. I'm sure the actors will do just fine.
keyes is literally in the first level of halo combat evolved. same for miranda in halo 2.
This show was already off to a bad start with the casting and the plot and it has only gotten worse.

o6uflmel0jx31.png
i had a little bit of hope for the show until i saw this. now i have zero interest. good job with your fake, transparent, performative wokeness. and great job to the morons who eat it up despite the fact it is disrespectful to pander so much to black people when they whole thing is simply about corporate optics and money, not respect.

i hear more and more black people getting tired of this shit everyday, but is anyone listening to them? lol smh, what a disgrace

Last edited:

Havoc2049

I've played every Halo game and have no idea who those characters even are. I'm sure the actors will do just fine.
The first voice you hear in Halo CE is Captain Keys voice. He is also the first main NPC you meet after coming out of cryo sleep. Several levels are dedicated to either rescuing or finding Captain Keys. Commander Amanda Keys is all throughout Halo 2 as well and is there in the final battle of Halo 2. I think she is no longer in the military for the TV show as well. Both are in numerous Halo novels and short stories as well.

Are you another one of these idiots who care about casting choices? I cannot understand people who are angered by tv shows, or movies casting choices, unless what you are watching is documentary why would anyone care? Movies/tv series based on games have even more creative freedom as everything is made up from the very beginning. Get a life man.

real issue I have got with halo tv show is that it was in th making for very long time and there was a lot of changes in cast and crew before they have started shooting it, this doesn’t bode well.
I don’t even know why this is a controversial opinion.

I’m not mad but when they completely change how an established character looks to the point where they’re unrecognizable and, like what’s said above about Miranda Keyes, change their role in the story, it comes off as shitty. It’s like what’s the point? Why even use the characters at all?

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned

o6uflmel0jx31.png
They also changed Miranda Keyes from a ship pilot to a doctor. They are completely hacking away at canon.
I mean, its an adaptation. The nice thing about adaptations is that they can change things up. Just like harry potter movies did, or lord of the rings films compared to the books

Like it matters who any character but Master Chief and Cortana are cast as
Does it matter who they cast as them either?

Master Chief? I Got no clue what that dude is supposed to look like, he keeps his helmet on more than the Mandalorian.

Cortana? Lady voice and occasional sexy 3d render? Do you even need more than a voice actor on that one?

Granted, I'm not a big Halo guy... but still.

CitizenZ

Banned

I envy you so much not knowing there is a extreme hate group that spews death threats when someone has been cast in entertainment and is not right human or non human they demand. Apparently you are free of this knowledge which is where I wish I lived.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

It would be pretty odd to have a black Superman and a white Blade.

BabyYoda

Banned
It would be pretty odd to have a black Superman and a white Blade.
Unfortunately Jar Jar Abrams is apparently working on a black Superman as we speak, it seems he hasn't destroyed enough franchises yet...My opinion on all this is they should stay true to the source material as they can, some changes are cool (a black Kingpin was great for example), but it's obvious virtue signalling most of the time nowadays, you never see any characters race or gender swapped to white males anymore, it's like we are a race of elephant men...sure a lot of popular established characters are white males, but it was white males that created them for an historically white male audience...it's like they should be punished for being successful!

I love Star Trek and diversity done right is superb, why must they always slap woke junk onto established and loved ip's instead of creating new ones to fill that hole? I'll tell you why, because they haven't got the talent to make a success of shallow surface level virtue signalling content, so they have to hijack other much more talented creators work, they are parasites!

I predict this show will get 5's and 6's from the fans, maybe a bit higher from the "professionals" because of the box ticking, makes me sad, I really want it to be good...

Top Bottom