• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars: Definitive Edition |OT| The Best Marketing This Game Will Get

mcfrank

Well do they send the whole wave at once or multiple batches of waves?

The better question is why the fuck do they do waves at all? If I click buy on Halo 5 right now, it will start downloading. It wont send me a code in 7-10 days. This isnt a tv informercial product. It is a digital game being released on a console connected to the internet. 7-10 days is complete insanity.

Gwyn

The better question is why the fuck do they do waves at all? If I click buy on Halo 5 right now, it will start downloading. It wont send me a code in 7-10 days. This isnt a tv informercial product. It is a digital game being released on a console connected to the internet. 7-10 days is complete insanity.

How are they supposed to sent 395 trillion codes at once?
/s

Hawk269

Go to Xbox.com and click on the message itself and it should allow you to redeem the code successfully. It worked for me and the game is now installing on my Xbox One console.

This. If you try to redeem it on your Xbox One it will give you the error. If you go to the web site and redeem the code after a minute or so it should appear in your ready to install list on your Xbox One.

I have the PC version and Xbox One version downloading right now. Will post impressions of both versions later tonight...Wife is off of work today and going out to see Rogue One and other stuff...so wont be on as much as I would like. Dang wife!!! lol

Hawk269

Just FYI stuff.

Game on Xbox One is 9.46gb in Size. Original Backwards Compatible version is 6.5gb, PC version is 9.36 gb.

Tecnniqe

Banned
In the same damn boat I guess I rolled a 1 RNG wise.
RNGesus is never on my side :(
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Got my code but can't redeem it. Sigh.

Doesn't work on the web either.
I'll try it for you to verify its integrity :3

Hawk269

For some reason my Xbox One download speed is horrid today. It is barely at 1gb while the PC version is almost done at 8.5gb. I started both within a minute of each other. Usually my Xbox One download speed is really good.

Should be in-game on Pc...change that, just finished on PC. Will be back in a little with initial impressions at 4k!

Tecnniqe

Banned
For some reason my Xbox One download speed is horrid today. It is barely at 1gb while the PC version is almost done at 8.5gb. I started both within a minute of each other. Usually my Xbox One download speed is really good.

Should be in-game on Pc...change that, just finished on PC. Will be back in a little with initial impressions at 4k!

tumblr_n3eu9epuZO1smcbm7o1_400.gif

vsMIC

thx for the tip, managed to redeem the code via xbox.com/profile/messages. only working method seemingly, tried via xbox message automatic, manual in xbl store, manual over xbpx.com store. but only worked via profile messages on xbox.com.

this is pretty irritating and needs to be handled much better ...

koolin101

Neo Member
Hey guys, quoting the most strident post - this is a completely valid complaint about our messaging that I simply didn't realize we'd flubbed. With the Holiday noise and chaos and launch of HW2 (and the remaster) and juggling multiple things, I didn't even realize we'd ended up with this noise and misunderstanding. Most folks are out for the break, I'm working on clarity and focus for messaging right now. Will be a while.
How about you drop the 14th garbage and run the report to the launch date and send the codes now not in these waves.

Very interested to hear how the port is for the game on pc.

Hawk269

When the games main menu appears it says "Early Access" and it is also in the next menu it says it also.

Bonus items seems to be just art work and a Digital Prima Guide.

PC options are very limited. There is no real resolution option. Just High Resolution on or off. Not sure if it is reading desktop resolution. My TV is saying it is still in 4k, but who knows for sure. Kind of weird.

Tecnniqe

Banned
When the games main menu appears it says "Early Access" and it is also in the next menu it says it also.

PC options are very limited. There is no real resolution option. Just High Resolution on or off. Not sure if it is reading desktop resolution. My TV is saying it is still in 4k, but who knows for sure. Kind of weird.

God damn.

Updated OT to reflect this mess...

Sad thing is OT for EA's is not allowed right?
Maybe a mod can shed light on this, seeing as its a kinda special case...

Thanks Microsoft

This doesn't sound too promising, ugh.
If they are going to stick with UWP then they need to start pulling their thumbs out of their asses and make sure that they have settings that a pc gamer would expect.
Considering the scorpio is dropping in less than a year, if there are still games coming out with barely any graphical settings then how will they scale on console?

Toa Freak

Neo Member
The drama in here is utterly ridiculous. The Halo Wars Definitive Edition was marketed as "early access", a term with a rather specific meaning in regards to gaming, since its formal announcement at the start of December. Check the original trailer if you don't believe me.

And honestly, why would anyone expect a marketing push on a BONUS only included with the Ultimate Edition of Halo Wars 2? It makes very little sense, especially when HW2's release is still 2 months away.

Codes aren't working? Yeah, that's some all bullshit. Were people mislead in any way with the Definitive Edition's release, though? Absolutely not.

Moa

Still annoyed I have to wait 7-10 days from pre-ordering to even be sent a code.

It's 2016 - that shit should just be available for download right after I hit the pre-order button.

Toa Freak

Neo Member
Still annoyed I have to wait 7-10 days from pre-ordering to even be sent a code.

It's 2016 - that shit should just be available for download right after I hit the pre-order button.

I have a feeling this "early access" was a sort of "last minute" decision, hence the wacky release format.

Timeless

The drama in here is utterly ridiculous. The Halo Wars Definitive Edition was marketed as "early access", a term with a rather specific meaning in regards to gaming, since its formal announcement at the start of December. Check the original trailer if you don't believe me.

And honestly, why would anyone expect a marketing push on a BONUS only included with the Ultimate Edition of Halo Wars 2? It makes very little sense, especially when HW2's release is still 2 months away.

Codes aren't working? Yeah, that's some all bullshit. Were people mislead in any way with the Definitive Edition's release, though? Absolutely not.
I don't know the last time I've watched a game trailer all the way through. Doubly so if there's no gameplay. I knew about the EA thing but as I said in this thread, it's a nebulous term that can mean anything, either its literal definition or its Steam definition.

So it's my responsiblity to follow a games' marketing, instead of just reading the product description for a game I'm buying? Marketing is what a game aspires to be. The store page should be what it is.

Got my code as well (NY).

EDIT:.....and there's an error when attempting to redeem on xbox.com

EDIT 2: worked when redeeming through the message instead of through the redemption page

PaulLFC

Where on the game's product page on the store is the mention of early acccess? Nowhere.

Plus, that trailer says "get early access to" - i.e. play this first, same as "early access" to Gears 4 by buying the more expensive version. It does not say that the game itself is in "Early Access", which it has now been revealed to be on the day of release.

Tecnniqe

Banned

Alright lets get this done with, it was/could be interpreted as misleading and not properly communicated, they said that themselves...

Lets get started;

Microsoft use the phrase "Preview/Game Preview" for their unfinished store games.
"Early Access" is a Steam coined term for access to a unfinished product.
The way its phrased makes it out to be early access to the complete game, not access to a unfinished product.
Lastly, NO storepage anywhere lists this as a unfinished product or "Early Access"... Just access the 20th...

Marketing? Well if makes perfect sense TODAY why they didnt push it at all...

Codes? Well yes...

fernoca

I understand the disappointment around the wording and the lack of communication, but some are overreacting around this as if... "fuck MS for handling things like this!!".

Noone knew this was going to be released today back when it was originally announced. This was always part of the season pass of a game expected around February 2017.

For some reason, they decided to release this part earlier. It was even originally leaked by people that preordered digitally from Amazon and got updated release date. Many of us thought it was just a preload of the game.

So that's why it is a code. It seems to be a decision made after some... things. Look at Master Chief Collection and the waves of codes. Look at both Gears of Wars giving away codes for original releases in waves too.

Is not some evil plan to fuck over followers or fans. Just what it seems to be a last minute decision for something that they wanted to get before Christmas. Even Frankie added that with Christmas and stuff things has been busy.

Wait so this definitive edition isn't actually finished yet and is still in development? That wasn't what got advertised at all.
Nope.
Early Access in this case is used literally. Originally, it was so you could play Halo Wars 2 four days early. Now, is that you can also play this remaster early.

Werd

Messing around in Skirmish on PC to test. Looks very nice in 4K. There are standard RTS control groups available as well as the all/local units and subgroup. Pretty basic graphics options.

Did the 360 version let you choose to always display unit health bars, have team colors rather than per player, etc.? Can't remember if those are new.

edit: There is a very basic service record in the multiplayer to show your win/loss with commanders/modes/etc.

Toa Freak

Neo Member
So it's my responsiblity to follow a games' marketing, instead of just reading the product description for a game I'm buying? Marketing is what a game aspires to be. The store page should be what it is.

If you want to know as much about a game as possible, yes, it is your responsibility to follow the marketing. A Store Page is part of that marketing, just as much as a trailer.

Where on the game's product page on the store is the mention of early acccess? Nowhere.

And? I honestly don't see the issue there. If people don't know, it's a nice surprise. If they do, then they clearly know the channels to follow.

Plus, that trailer says "get early access to" - i.e. play this first, same as "early access" to Gears 4 by buying the more expensive version. It does not say that the game itself is in "Early Access", which it has now been revealed to be on the day of release.

Even in the case of getting early access like Gears 4, the game is rarely in its day-1 state. Both Battlefield 1 and Gears 4 had a day 1 update.

Microsoft use the phrase "Preview/Game Preview" for their unfinished store games.
"Early Access" is a Steam coined term for access to a unfinished product.
The way its phrased makes it out to be early access to the complete game, not access to a unfinished product.

Even early access games outside of steam aren't in a 100% day-1 state. Both Battlefield 1 and Gears 4 had early access, and both had day-1 updates.

Lastly, NO storepage anywhere lists this as a unfinished product or "Early Access"... Just access the 20th...

The storepage never mentions it any sort of early access, last I checked, which I don't see an issue with. Most people don't decide to buy a game until right before release, and those that order early are in for little more than a nice surprise.

Marketing? Well if makes perfect sense TODAY why they didnt push it at all...

Again, why push it right now? It's bonus for Halo Wars 2, not a stand-alone product.

Theorry

Messing around in Skirmish on PC to test. Looks very nice in 4K. There are standard RTS control groups available as well as the all/local units and subgroup. Pretty basic graphics options.

Did the 360 version let you choose to always display unit health bars, have team colors rather than per player, etc.? Can't remember if those are new.

Willing to make some screens? :)

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
thx for the tip, managed to redeem the code via xbox.com/profile/messages. only working method seemingly, tried via xbox message automatic, manual in xbl store, manual over xbpx.com store. but only worked via profile messages on xbox.com.

this is pretty irritating and needs to be handled much better ...

Finally works for me.Thanks!

Timeless

Game launches and plays on my 560 Ti! Looks like Halo Wars. Nobody in any online games yet. Only playing on my 900p monitor so screenshots would be boring. I assume that video from earlier is a good indicator.

This. If you try to redeem it on your Xbox One it will give you the error. If you go to the web site and redeem the code after a minute or so it should appear in your ready to install list on your Xbox One.
Thanks for posting this. I was wondering why my code wasn't working.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Well I didn't get my key (bought before Dec 14th too :( ), I also updated the OT with some art reflecting Early Access and PMed a forum mod for assistance.
If you want to know as much about a game as possible, yes, it is your responsibility to follow the marketing. A Store Page is part of that marketing, just as much as a trailer.

And? I honestly don't see the issue there. If people don't know, it's a nice surprise. If they do, then they clearly know the channels to follow.

Even in the case of getting early access like Gears 4, the game is rarely in its day-1 state. Both Battlefield 1 and Gears 4 had a day 1 update.

Even early access games outside of steam aren't in a 100% day-1 state. Both Battlefield 1 and Gears 4 had early access, and both had day-1 updates.

The storepage never mentions it any sort of early access, last I checked, which I don't see an issue with. Most people don't decide to buy a game until right before release, and those that order early are in for little more than a nice surprise.

Again, why push it right now? It's bonus for Halo Wars 2, not a stand-alone product.

Are you for real right now?

Toa Freak

Neo Member
Are you for real right now?

100%. The early access was likely something decided on at a later time, and when it was announced, was clear pretty clear in what to expect. All today provided was additional details, nothing anyone should be surprised about.

Timeless

Someone join my game! I started one on 1v1 Blood Gulch. Should be the only game online right now.

Button prompts use XONE even if you're using a 360 controller. Not a big deal and I pretty much expected this. At least the 360 controller works.

Top Bottom