• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars: Definitive Edition |OT| The Best Marketing This Game Will Get

mcfrank

At least we now know why there was no marketing for this. lol

They talked about it at the game awards.

Quoting for new page since this is a good summary.

1. Halo Wars Definitive Edition is announced as pre-order bonus for Halo Wars 2 Ultimate, releasing today December 20th.
2. On December 20th, description of game is stealth updated to declare game is in fact "early access" (no mention of this previously) and list issues with game, not revealed when pre-orders were opened.
3. On December 20th, arbitrary date not previously revealed is set, whereby anyone who pre-ordered before December 20th but did not meet said arbitrary date, won't actually get to play the game today. No mention earlier of "Pre-order by December 14th to guarantee you get to play on day one!", no, because that would make too much sense.

You don't see how this, especially point 2, is a problem?

At least we now know why there was no marketing for this. lol

tumblr_njxzwrSyip1u72t11o1_500.gif

Goddammit you are right :(

RoKKeR

Amazing how something seemingly so small and easy could be bungled like this.

Seems just like a total afterthought.

Lom1lo

I thought it was first announced to release on the same day as hw2 and then they said we can play it now. Seems like I misread something, sorry. Well still better than getting it in february..

kpzero

Neo Member
The Game Awards trailer literally said Early Access.

It should have been made clearer but it isn't something popping up today. The code sending really is archaic though. I would guess they want to say something in the code message about it not being the complete experience and downloading at own risk or something.

LOL at the whole early access not everything is finished for the game thing. As long as the single player runs fine and there is no problems there I am satisfied.

Hey guys preorder HW 2 and get Halo Wars DE on the 20th!

Cool!

Oh we forgot to say it was only early access and you have to preorder before the 14th to get on on the 20th, lol sorry!

I'm not going to do a charge back because I'm getting HW 2 regardless, but this shit is ridiculous.

Hawk269

1. Halo Wars Definitive Edition is announced as pre-order bonus for Halo Wars 2 Ultimate, releasing today December 20th.
2. On December 20th, description of game is stealth updated to declare game is in fact "early access" (no mention of this previously) and list issues with game, not revealed when pre-orders were opened.
3. On December 20th, arbitrary date not previously revealed is set, whereby anyone who pre-ordered before December 20th but did not meet said arbitrary date, won't actually get to play the game today. No mention earlier of "Pre-order by December 14th to guarantee you get to play on day one!", no, because that would make too much sense.

Great summary of the screw ups. How does 343i manage to screw up yet another Halo game? I mean, does Phil know what is going with this? It seems like anything 343i touches is a shit show in regards to Halo. I mean are the studio heads trying to kill the franchise so they can do something different? If so, GREAT JOB GUYS!

RdN

Wow.. This is a cluster fuck.

It really reminds me of the whole Map Pack fiasco that got posted a few posts above.

Announcing that a game is Early Access on the day of release and then postponing the actual release to February, not to mention that not everybody is getting it today, is something that just 343i could come out with.

Theorry

The known issues doesnt sound that bad really. Still could have communicated it better.
Especially when 343 is so open lately.

Hey guys preorder HW 2 and get Halo Wars DE on the 20th!

Cool!

Oh we forgot to say it was only early access and you have to preorder before the 14th to get on on the 20th, lol sorry!

I'm not going to do a charge back because I'm getting HW 2 regardless, but this shit is ridiculous.

They always said the 7-10 days thing tho.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Great summary of the screw ups. How does 343i manage to screw up yet another Halo game? I mean, does Phil know what is going with this? It seems like anything 343i touches is a shit show in regards to Halo. I mean are the studio heads trying to kill the franchise so they can do something different? If so, GREAT JOB GUYS!

I'm not gonna defend MS for walling this game behind a deluxe edition as well as their stupid code roll-out, but they did say this game was being released as Early Access back during The Game Awards.

Forsythia

Just send out the fucking codes to everyone who pre-ordered all at once.

They did the same shit with the Gears codes. I remember that some people who pre-ordered as soon as possible received the codes much later than people who pre-ordered a few days before release. This is going to end up the same way.

Why do they fuck up shit like this all the time. Jesus christ.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Well dont Play it until the offical Release ?! Dont get the uproar here
I wonder...
I want to stay positive...but I am preparing myself that the DE is going to be a hot mess and since they waited until today to say it is early access, they can now sit behind the shield of early access when people begin to complain about bugs and performance issues. I am hoping for the best though and that the game is playable and limited issues, but this is the man that brought us the Master Chief Collection of fuck ups...confidence level is not very high.

I hope its good. Most of the stuff can be considered minor to actually playing the game, but even a post back in 1st of Dec makes this out to be early access (as in full product before the official release TBA) and not as a unfinished product.
Get ready to discover the mysteries of Harvest once more! In a surprise announcement at The Game Awards, 343 Industries revealed on stage that early access to Halo Wars: Definitive Edition, available to anyone who preorders the digital version of Halo Wars 2 Ultimate Edition, begins rolling out to Xbox One and Windows 10 PC on Dec. 20!

Halo Wars tells the tale of the UNSC Spirit of Fire and its intrepid crew as they battle against the Covenant on the planet Harvest, set over two decades before the events of Halo: Combat Evolved. Released back in 2009, Halo Wars was widely considered to be the one of the best console RTS games available and with Halo Wars: Definitive Edition, old fans and new can now experience the game remastered with all of its DLC, including those beautiful Blur cinematics.

Here’s how you can secure your copy of Halo Wars: Definitive Edition on Dec. 20:

Pre-order the digital version of Halo Wars 2 Ultimate Edition, which includes the standard game, Season Pass, four-day early access to Halo Wars 2 and Halo Wars: Definitive Edition.
Once you pre-order the digital version of Halo Wars 2 Ultimate Edition, expect to receive a 5×5 code in your Xbox message center for Halo Wars: Definitive Edition starting on Dec. 20. Codes will be sent out in waves and it may take up to 7-10 days to receive your code after Dec. 20.
If you pre-ordered the digital version of Halo Wars 2 Ultimate Edition from a participating retailer, redeem that code from your Xbox account and your Halo Wars: Definitive Edition code will be sent to that account. Similarly, it may take up to 7-10 days to receive your code after Dec. 20.

Read more at http://news.xbox.com/2016/12/01/fight-forge-halo-wars-definitive-edition-dec-20/#JBzhx4z21PCm1k0T.99

I mean fuck, it should be written as
343 Industries revealed on stage that access to Halo Wars: Definitive Edition Early Access, available to anyone who preorders the digital version of Halo Wars 2 Ultimate Edition, begins rolling out to Xbox One and Windows 10 PC on Dec. 20!
expect to receive a 5×5 code in your Xbox message center for Halo Wars: Definitive Edition Early Access starting on Dec. 20.
redeem that code from your Xbox account and your Halo Wars: Definitive Edition Early Access code will be sent to that account.
Even then the FAQ was ninja edited with this shit in less than a day ago iirc..

The known issues doesnt sound that bad really. Still could have communicated it better.

How minor it is, is not the issue. The issue here is that it was never made clear, and still is NOT on the damn store pages or anywhere else until now on their forums.

Store page never listed anything as "early access" in one way or another, looks like they just went "Oh lets do this!" aaaand post.

Hawk269

The Game Awards trailer literally said Early Access.

It should have been made clearer but it isn't something popping up today. The code sending really is archaic though. I would guess they want to say something in the code message about it not being the complete experience and downloading at own risk or something.

I think the issue is that when Dan said Early Access on the game awards, he said it as a bonus for pre-ordering that you will get early access to playing HW DE version, not that the DE version is in EARLY ACCESS program which means the game is incomplete and prone to having issues. The way he worded it was that we get to play the game early. He should of said that you get beta access since the game is part of the EARLY ACCESS program. While technically, the words early access came out of his mouth, I think it was said and interpreted that we just get the game early, not a beta/prone to issues/part of the early access program.

DaleCooper

Neo Member
I pre-ordered my game on the 15th and even a week before that when I looked it up it said it would take 7 to 10 days to get the code. Even retailers like best buy had that info as well...they didn't just throw that in there. Some of you haven't been paying attention

hwalker84

I'm fucking pissed off now.

Theorry

How minor it is, is not the issue. The issue here is that it was never made clear, and still is NOT on the damn store pages or anywhere else until now on their forums.

Store page never listed anything as "early access" in one way or another, looks like they just went "Oh lets do this!" aaaand post.

Not sure why you quote me? I also say the communication could be better.

PaulLFC

I pre-ordered my game on the 15th and even a week before that when I looked it up it said it would take 7 to 10 days to get the code. Even retailers like best buy had that info as well...they didn't just throw that in there. Some of you haven't been paying attention
Nobody is saying that.

They didn't mention anywhere that December 14th was the cut off to receive a code on day one, when they should have.

Worse, they have now changed the game to "early access" on release day and stealth edited information to match, without having announced it as early access when starting to take pre-orders.

Lee

Terrible communication without a doubt but they did seem to choose their words carefully on stage during the announcement.

https://youtu.be/DQl9kppJ99A?t=58s

"We're happy to announce that everyone who buys the digital Halo Wars 2: Ultimate Edition will get special preview access to the new definitive edition of Halo Wars 1 remastered... the definitive edition will begin rolling out on December 20th"

Tecnniqe

Banned
Terrible communication without a doubt but they did seem to choose their words carefully on stage during the announcement.

https://youtu.be/DQl9kppJ99A?t=58s

"We're happy to announce that everyone who buys the digital Halo Wars 2: Ultimate Edition will get special preview access to the new definitive edition of Halo Wars 1 remastered... the definitive edition will begin rolling out on December 20th"
Aaand did they write what they said anywhere about it being a preview? All I ever read was early access to the game for pre-ordering it, as in the complete product...
They indeed said "preview access'
Was this written anywhere or said anywhere else? I never heard that, at all...
Not sure why you quote me? I also say the communication could be better.
Oh I know, just pointing out while I also find them minor, the severity of the issues is not the problem.

I'm still hoping its good, I'll probably love it whenever I get my code, but Jesus christ, in theory this OT is probably not even allowed now...

These PR people need to take a class in communication.

It doesn't matter if they said it at the fucking Game Awards. Not everyone watched that. It should have been in the product description from the get go. They edited it in at the last second.

Hawk269

Anyone get a code yet? Just trying to lighten the mood. I know I have my fair share of pissed off posts...but lets turn those frowns upside down and be positive!!! Instead of having those Avatars of "I believe in Phil", lets have a "I believe in Dan Ayoub". I know I am stretching here..lol

DaleCooper

Neo Member
Nobody is saying that.

They didn't mention anywhere that December 14th was the cut off to receive a code on day one, when they should have.

Worse, they have now changed the game to "early access" on release day and stealth edited information to match, without having announced it as early access when starting to take pre-orders.

They said 7 to 10 days from when you preorder so why wouldn't the cut off be the 14th for day one? You are confusing me.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
No one knew it was being given the Early Access Treatment until today. Why am I getting Master Chief Collection vibes all of a sudden? Dan Ayoub, the guy at 343i was the guy in charge of the MCC and it was a disaster at launch and took countless of updates to get to a basic decent level...guess who is leading the charge for Halo Wars 2 and the DE version???? Same person Dan Ayoub. I am starting to get a sick feeling in my stomach.

Is it not odd that on the day the DE version is to come out all of a sudden it is an Early Access Title? As if last week they discovered something is not right, but they committed to the 20th date. I imagine it went like this:

Dan Ayoub: Hey guys, Halo Wars DE is not going to be ready by the 20th, I know I made an ass out of myself at the game awards show committing to that date, but the game is kind of jacked up. But I have a solution. Lets tell everyone it is an early access game and then the consumers cant bitch about glitches or shit that is not working because it is early access.

Frankie: Dan, that is why we put you in charge of this, you fucked up MCC for everyone and while you probably learned some lessons from it, we knew you would find a way to cover our assess if you fucked up Halo Wars as well, good job.

Dan Ayoub: Thanks Frankie. You know, let's delay sending out codes for our broken game as well...I mean I did say codes will be 7-10 days and it is Christmas and I want to go home. I will send the codes out after Xmas when everyone goes back to work and we are covered since it will be in the 7-10 day period, so no one can bitch about it.

Frankie: Dan, you are amazing. You found a way to cover our ass no matter what, maybe we should put you in charge of Halo 6!!!

Dan Ayoub: I would love to do that. I can fuck that up too and cover our asses all at the same time. That means I would be responsible in a certain way of fucking up every Halo game with the exception of Reach and ODST. Hey Frankie ask Phil to give us the go ahead of re-masters of ODST and Reach and tell him I want to be in charge!!! If anything, I want to have the legacy as the man that fucked up an entire series of games, but still cover our asses and still have a job! I mean, if they kept me after what I did to MCC, I can take down an entire franchise without any worry.

Frankie: High Five Dan!!!

sigh...

Hey guys, quoting the most strident post - this is a completely valid complaint about our messaging that I simply didn't realize we'd flubbed. With the Holiday noise and chaos and launch of HW2 (and the remaster) and juggling multiple things, I didn't even realize we'd ended up with this noise and misunderstanding. Most folks are out for the break, I'm working on clarity and focus for messaging right now. Will be a while.

PaulLFC

They said 7 to 10 days from when you preorder so why wouldn't the cut off be the 14th for day one? You are confusing me.
I took it to mean "within 7 to 10 days of December 20th", but who knows what they meant - clear communication is not their strong point.

Hawk269

I don't twitter...Can Donald Trump or someone else that uses Twitter send something to Frankie, Phil or Dan asking "When today are codes being sent out"?

hwalker84

Anyone get a code yet? Just trying to lighten the mood. I know I have my fair share of pissed off posts...but lets turn those frowns upside down and be positive!!! Instead of having those Avatars of "I believe in Phil", lets have a "I believe in Dan Ayoub". I know I am stretching here..lol

Considering I preordered this a few days ago for the specific purpose of playing Halo Wars DE today I most certainly haven't received a code.

Akai__

Hey guys, quoting the most strident post - this is a completely valid complaint about our messaging that I simply didn't realize we'd flubbed. With the Holiday noise and chaos and launch of HW2 (and the remaster) and juggling multiple things, I didn't even realize we'd ended up with this noise and misunderstanding. Most folks are out for the break, I'm working on clarity and focus for messaging right now. Will be a while.

Serious question, but why is this not something that your PR department is doing? What are those people even doing? Why is it that you, out of all people, must step in and do something like an apology or clarify things?

This is really something that just damages your image as a company. Be clear and honest from the get go and you won't have to clear things up afterwards.

Hawk269

Frankie- Since I was the person that made the comment you quoted, in all seriousness, there has been a lot of mess ups, but I still love the games you guys make and the devotion to Halo. Halo Wars is up there with Halo CE for me and the fact you are making a sequel for it was one of the bigger announcements for me in a while. While my jabs were made to be more tongue and cheek, there was some truths and concerns in my ramblings.

As always, I thank you for stepping in and saying something. I know Gaf at times can be tough for a dev to navigate, but appreciate you speaking up and saying what you said. I think a lot of us appreciate you doing that!

Thanks...oh and fire Dan! lol

BraXzy

What the fuck...

Early access stealth edits? Sending in waves? Halo you deserve better big guy.

Edit: Fair play for being clear and honest Frankie.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Serious question, but why is this not something that your PR department is doing? What are those people even doing? Why is it that you, out of all people, must step in and do something like an apology or clarify things?

This is really something that just damages your image as a company. Be clear and honest from the get go and you won't have to clear things up afterwards.

Nobody is being dishonest, just a traffic jam of bad semantics. And that's on us. And part of my job is communicating with you guys. This is a pot someone left on the stove. You would turn it off too if you walked in.

0TIqUTB.gif

Not making light of it. Just explaining that I had missed the issue.

Waves is just how the store works - and actually XBL does this historically too - which is why you see threads with people asking if it's here yet on other games. And that wave function (sorry science) is one of the reasons we have fairly nonspecific timing language, which was one more thing piled on here.

Spasm

Considering I preordered this a few days ago for the specific purpose of playing Halo Wars DE today I most certainly haven't received a code.
I pre'd my HW2U yesterday, at full price from MSStore.com, in order to play, hopefully within a week (dat 7-10 days) or so. So yeah, no code here either. Only now we hear it's gonna be busted? I'm not interested in playing it in preview at all. I still want it and HW2, I just wish I woulda held out for at least some kind of deal.

Nobody is being dishonest, just a traffic jam of bad semantics. And that's on us. And part of my job is communicating with you guys. This is a pot someone left on the stove. You would turn it off too if you walked in.

0TIqUTB.gif

Waves is just how the store works - and actually XBL does this historically too - which is why you see threads with people asking if it's here yet on other games. And that wave function (sorry science) is one of the reasons we have fairly nonspecific timing language, which was one more thing piled on here.

At least Frankie is cooperative and he seems sober. But is he clothed?

Timeless

"Early Access" is a Steam term. Microsoft doesn't get to claim it's a generic term that everyone knows the definition of. "Early" - before a scheduled time. "Access" - to have rights to use. MS can't just add in the Valve definition, which is often "busted-ass game that we'll take your money for now".

Specifically, both "early access to Halo Wars DE" and "Early Access to Halo Wars DE" (capital E capital A) are different than "Halo Wars DE launches in early access" or "as an early-access game".

Either way, outside of Valve's model it's confusing at best and intentionally misleading at worst. Here's what Valve says when a game is early access:

"Early Access Game
GET INSTANT ACCESS AND START PLAYING; GET INVOLVED WITH THIS GAME AS IT DEVELOPS.
Note: This Early Access game is not complete and may or may not change further. If you are not excited to play this game in its current state, then you should wait to see if the game progresses further in development. Learn more"

http://store.steampowered.com/app/552450/

If MS can't match that level of honesty, it's sad. They shouldn't be willing to take your money without telling you what you're getting. I do applaud MS for apparently not charging for CC / debit-only preorders until closer to the HW2 launch date. Honesty up front, compared to many of the other game launches gamers have been willing to put up with (Fallout 4), would have been fine. The known issues list they've publicly posted doesn't look that bad, and probably wouldn't have been a deal breaker had I known up front.

But the main reason I went for the $80 bundle was the HW1 remaster -- and it blows my mind that this launch can't be bulletproof and ready for primetime. HW1 has been out since March 2009 (over 6.5 years ago). It's a relatively static target, and the XONE and Windows 10 have both been out for some time as well.

Thanks for stopping by to say something Frank Halo Wars is on my top 10 of favorite games of all time the original message regarding the remaster was indeed not clear I think that is something the PR department needs to work, I really appreciate your post my friend

Tecnniqe

Banned

0TIqUTB.gif

I mean I get it, shit happens, but this just turned very 180 in a matter of hours right before what everyone figured was an actual release.

It should never happen. Ever.

I appreciate you clearing it up for us but that still wont help those who don't visit GAF and had the same thought as us...

Yes, now that its been cleared up for those who visit GAF, I have some more OT work to do... In the meanwhile
latest

m23

Biggest issue here was the miscommunication.

Had we known all this information beforehand I don't think most would have minded.

The lack of media was one thing as well.

We knew the codes would start going out in waves, but that doesn't make sense to a lot of us...then again most of us aren't developers.

We didn't know about the game being an early access game, we should have.

Hopefully I get the code today and get to play, that's all I want now.

hwalker84

Frankie being the stand up guy he always is. I'm not going to get too upset since no matter what I was going to buy the Ultimate Edition.

It's whatever. Miscommunication and Frankie at least stopped by to explain that situation. The wave thing I don't have a problem with. It was the early access more than anything that annoyed me. If you didn't watch the Game Awards Show you wouldn't have known until they edited it in on the 20th.

Top Bottom