• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo World Championship 2017 Had 13 Million Unique Viewers

CyReN

http://news.xbox.com/2017/03/29/record-breaking-halo-world-championship-2017-comes-finish/

The Halo World Championship 2017 Finals by ESL broke digital viewership records across the board. At its height, the broadcast reached more than 135,000 concurrent viewers across Twitch, Twitter, Facebook, and Beam. In addition, more than 13 million unique viewers tuned in over the weekend to see competitive Halo played at the highest level across digital platforms. 10.3 million of these unique viewers watched the competition live on Twitter—a first time streaming destination for Halo esports.* These metrics exceeded last year's tournament and make the Halo World Championship 2017 Finals the most watched digital broadcast in Halo esports history.

jxffbcw.gif

depward

Very cool!

The stream and its "stream experience" was really great. Good quality, some long'ish downtime but not too bad.

Too bad about the live experience :/

I kept on getting a notification in my Twitter timeline about the event, despite viewing on Twitch at the same time. Huh. So more than 3/4ths of viewership took it in via Twitter.

We should change the title to HWC failed to reach 14 million unique viewers making it the worst HWC event since last year.
+10 page thread

R aka Bon

HCS was a joy to watch so glad to hear, the pros made the game look so much more appealing to watch with their fancy moves!

stephen08

Doesn't sound so good to me. 10.3 million were on Twitter (a first time streaming option) of 13 million total? How many saw a tweet, loaded it for a few seconds and quit? 135k peak on Twitch sounds not so great either, but I'm not familiar enough with viewing numbers to say.

bigkrev

At its height, the broadcast reached more than 135,000 concurrent viewers across Twitch, Twitter, Facebook, and Beam
That seems.... really low? If they had over 13 million people, how many of them watched 2 minutes of it and never came back? Like, there are popular streamers that can come close to that concurrent number on Twitch alone on a random Thursday night

Majine

Banned
Doesn't sound so good to me. 10.3 million were on Twitter (a first time streaming option) of 13 million total? How many saw a tweet, loaded it for a few seconds and quit? 135k peak on Twitch sounds not so great either, but I'm not familiar enough with viewing numbers to say.

135K peak is really good.

Overall not LoL or Dota 2 numbers but if that's anyones bar for success, time for a reality check.

Theorry

That seems.... really low? If they had over 13 million people, how many of them watched 2 minutes of it and never came back? Like, there are popular streamers that can come close to that concurrent number on Twitch alone on a random Thursday night

Who has 135.000 viewers on a Thursday night?

Any other game that isn't called Dota 2, League or Hearthstone would kill to have that kind of number. It peaked at ~70k on Twitch alone.

hollomat

Banned
Considering 10.3 million of the 13 million was on Twitter, and it was an auto play ad, the Twitter amount is meaningless and including it is really deceiving. The rest of the data would be much more meaningful with the average time watched, although I'm sure if it was impressive it would've been mentioned. Next years championship can get even higher views, just buy an ad during the super bowl and count everyone who sees it as a unique view.

Twitch peak was 50-60k. 135k was across all platforms including Twitter where they basically threw it in as an ad. Even padded like that, those numbers arent really worth boasting about.

But the Stream itself was excellent. The presentation was great as was the commentary.

I genuinely disliked how childish some players were at times, including some teabagging in the grand finals (really?). But I guess that is console baggage.

He is saying popular streamers get that number by themself

Yea, I've seen individual streamers get that all by themselves.

http://www.pcgamer.com/fakers-first-twitch-stream-sets-a-record-for-viewers/

Twitch peak was 50-60k. 135k was across all platforms including Twitter where they basically threw it in as an ad. Even padded like that, those numbers arent really worth boasting about.

Like I said, PR gonna PR. They aren't fooling anyone but the gullible and the desperate.

bigkrev

He is saying popular streamers get that number by themself

Ask me tomorrow evening. Right now, the top stream on Twitch is some guy ive never heard of named LIRIK playing some shooter I've never heard of for 40K people in the middle of the day

Theorry

Ask me tomorrow evening. Right now, the top stream on Twitch is some guy ive never heard of named LIRIK playing some shooter I've never heard of for 40K people in the middle of the day

Lirik is one of the biggest streamers out there. He is like 7th followers wise.

But the Stream itself was excellent. The presentation was great as was the commentary.

I genuinely disliked how childish some players were at times, including some teabagging in the grand finals (really?). But I guess that is console baggage.

Hmmm, I watched it the entire weekend on Twitch, highest peak was 71.3k if iirc.

Also, the behavior sure maybe a bit childish but it builds up the crowd and also plays mind games with your opponents.

Too many people in this thread who aren't familiar with standard Twitch viewership levels are commenting.

Lirik is one of the top individual streamers on Twitch. Of course he always has 25-30k viewers at least.

Comparing Faker is insane. He's the #1 League player and just had his first Twitch stream recently as he was on a competing platform only due to exclusivity. He broke all Twitch records for an individual streamer (not dev or event)

135k concurrent isn't bad. I think I saw Halo at like 60-65k peak on Twitch this year which wasn't too bad. Last year they peaked at 90k last year on Twitch alone I believe.

Chobel

Wait, Twitter? How does that exactly work? I had no idea twitter is used for streaming.

Edit: Oh, ads. Then Twitter metric is pretty much worthless.

Caffeine

Wait, Twitter? How does that exactly work? I had no idea twitter is used for streaming.

Edit: Oh, ads. Then Twitter metric is pretty much worthless.

there was a twitch stream open on the right side everytime the desktop version of twitter was opened playing the stream lol

Damn don't know what halo (343) could actually do for the majority of people from them to actually give it some credit.

Lot higher numbers for the peak than what I was expecting. It's good for halo no matter what. Especially in the current gaming community mindset.

Long as it makes it to where competitive halo is still going on in the end that's all that matters for this news.

xviper

what is with all the hate on Halo in Gaf ???

can't you guys just be happy for the series ??

Halo 5 had an amazing MP

HardRojo

What was the average time per viewer? 13 million sounds like BS if they're considering everyone who didn't voluntarily watch.

what is with all the hate on Halo in Gaf ???

can't you guys just be happy for the series ??

Halo 5 had an amazing MP
imo be happy because the series has been going downhill with 343 at the helm? Be happy because the venue was some shit?

And its not hate its criticism for 343/Microsoft

Fuck Outta here

Top Bottom