• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

TheOddOne

not even level 70 yet LMAO

git gud scrub
Crying_spongebob.gif

I hate you, JC.

-Ryn

Banned
Can't we have Halo without any fucking unlocks? No unlockable armor skins, armors, weapon skins, weapons, titles, logos, whatever you can think of (easter egg levels or such doesn't count, as they're cool). Everything unlocked right away. Seriously. A great variety of various looks day one.
I personally really like having customization with unlocks.
As long as they have a decent amount of stuff that is unlocked from the start it should be fine. I remember in Halo 3 when I would finally unlock that armor I wanted it felt so cool. That's just me though.

A clan base like Warframe?.

It would make Halo
and Ragnarok Flames
implode or something
It would be a den of t-bags and brofists. Make it happen 343.

I actually think there won't be a population counter in MCC. 343 will say some BS about how it fosters negative comments or something like that. But please, let there be a pop counter. I want to know if I should even attempt to join a playlist, as no pop counter in Titanfall has shown me that numbers fucking matter.
I've always like the population counter. It helps in Reach when I'm trying to select a playlist.

Woorloog

Banned
I personally really like having customization with unlocks.
As long as they have a decent amount of stuff that is unlocked from the start it should be fine. I remember in Halo 3 when I would finally unlock that armor I wanted it felt so cool. That's just me though.

Bah, it doesn't work like that, not for me. All or nothing. Not satisfied with anything in-between (in shooters, roleplaying games are different, as are some other games).
And there's crap like in Halo 4, where it is impossible to unlock many of the armors, because required playlists do not exists anymore! (Commando armor. Looks crap so i'm interested actually, only in principle.)

What's the fucking point of customization if you can't customize? Makes zero sense to me.

I figure i did like unlocks when i was younger, i seem to recall something about saying something about liking them long ago... but i do not remember why, nor do i care what my younger self thought anymore.

Achievements are the kind of unlocks i actually like: They're actually nothing, so i don't lose anything by not getting them, yet they do somehow manage to feel like you did achieve something if you do get them, as long as they're not such easy things as "download a saved film".
As long as they're sensible and not frustrating. Note that difficult doesn't mean frustrating necessarily, nor does frustrating mean difficult automatically. (For example: that Elite assassination achievement in Reach. It is simple because you can do that right from start of the final level, yet the condition for the achievement to trigger is either bugged or really, really particular. It took me some 25+ tries to get it. That is not fun, despite not being difficult.)

EDIT By all or nothing i mean, if you have customization, unlock everything from start. Or don't have it at all.

Bah, it doesn't work like that, not for me. All or nothing. Not satisfied with anything in-between (in shooters, roleplaying games are different, as are some other games).
And there's crap like in Halo 4, where it is impossible to unlock many of the armors, because required playlists do not exists anymore! (Commando armor. Looks crap so i'm interested actually, only in principle.)

What's the fucking point of customization if you can't customize? Makes zero sense to me.

I figure i did like unlocks when i was younger, i seem to recall something about saying something about liking them long ago... but i do not remember why, nor do i care what my younger self thought anymore.

Achievements are the kind of unlocks i actually like: They're actually nothing, so i don't lose anything by not getting them, yet they do somehow manage to feel like you did achieve something if you do get them, as long as they're not such easy things as "download a saved film".
As long as they're sensible and not frustrating. Note that difficult doesn't mean frustrating necessarily, nor does frustrating mean difficult automatically. (For example: that Elite assassination achievement in Reach. It is simple because you can do that right from start of the final level, yet the condition for the achievement to trigger is either bugged or really, really particular. It took me some 25+ tries to get it. That is not fun, despite not being difficult.)

I understand woorloog.

Woorloog

Banned
Sorry if i'm ranting.
I tend to be grumpy after a fun day. Emotional high or something? Whatever it is.
And now to get too little sleep. Ugh.

Madness

But they have more to gain than lose by having a ton of non-game impacting customization features. Tying things like flinch to those who got above SR-70 and went for stability perk was dumb, but I don't see the problem with having say more armors tied to challenges or achievements.

For example, while I would personally be pissed because I'd have to attempt it or leave it, imagine if they tied something like flaming skull to getting the LASO achievement. Hayabusa armor for doing the ninja through a level without firing, using grenades. 1000 headshots gives you a certain helmet etc. People love the customization and progression because it gives you something else to do. That's not to say you make all the base or default armors dumb. Though I was against weapon skins, some of them actually turned out pretty nice.

IMO, CSGO does it perfectly. I feel like that's the system they should adopt for unlockables/loot/etc

there should only be cosmetics and no random chance for them. achievements and not grindy challenges. only for weapon skins and armors.

and give the option to just outright buy the shit.

Madness

While it would make them more money, you defeat the purpose for outright buying them.

What I meant when I said they had more to gain than lose is, let's be honest, no one will not play a good Halo game because they can't choose this wicked armor that is locked behind a certain set of requirements. But if it were tied to say, 250 wins, you're encouraging actual game play, especially good game play. You create an incentive for players to play longer, which is the point of the carrot approach.

Cosmetic customization and unlocks should be utilized these days as another form of player investment. Even ranks. Imagine having the Halo 3 or Halo: Reach emblem ranks be given for playing longer, while having 1-50 SR ranks for actual skill. People can grind and get the General badge, brigadier and we have another way of understand what kind of player they are, if they're only SR-30 but have a Field Marshal emblem or something. Or you have an SR-40, but only has a Colonel emblem.

While it would make them more money, you defeat the purpose for outright buying them.

What I meant when I said they had more to gain than lose is, let's be honest, no one will not play a good Halo game because they can't choose this wicked armor that is locked behind a certain set of requirements. But if it were tied to say, 250 wins, you're encouraging actual game play, especially good game play. You create an incentive for players to play longer, which is the point of the carrot approach.

Cosmetic customization and unlocks should be utilized these days as another form of player investment. Even ranks. Imagine having the Halo 3 or Halo: Reach emblem ranks be given for playing longer, while having 1-50 SR ranks for actual skill. People can grind and get the General badge, brigadier and we have another way of understand what kind of player they are, if they're only SR-30 but have a Field Marshal emblem or something. Or you have an SR-40, but only has a Colonel emblem.

People dont have time to invest in 600+ hours played, only to have a small part of the game locked to them, no matter how small a cosmetic item is. the option to buy them should be there for those who want all the stuff, the unlocking could be there for us, those that actually want the challenge.

People dont have time to invest in 600+ hours played, only to have a small part of the game locked to them, no matter how small a cosmetic item is. the option to buy them should be there for those who want all the stuff, the unlocking could be there for us, those that actually want the challenge.

I actually really like this idea. I've always been fond of having impatient people pay for my stuff, sort of like ME3 multi.

Madness

But that's just it, it's easier to just pay than to actually play. You want to reward player investment, time, skill and not just money. It means something for the player who plays day in and day out to work upto to something cool, it doesn't mean something if some guy is willing to shell out an extra $10 to get it right away. In fact it probably will contribute to further monetization.

Not everyone needs everything though, no? I mean will it really impact you that you can't get the good looking helmet because you don't want to get 1000 headshots first? Look at something like Recon. Everyone wanted it but only a few got it, eventually they tied it to vidmaster achievements which were hard as hell, but worth it to get what you wanted.

I actually really like this idea. I've always been fond of having impatient people pay for my stuff, sort of like ME3 multi.

ME3 did it right

But that's just it, it's easier to just pay than to actually play. You want to reward player investment, time, skill and not just money. It means something for the player who plays day in and day out to work upto to something cool, it doesn't mean something if some guy is willing to shell out an extra $10 to get it right away. In fact it probably will contribute to further monetization.

Not everyone needs everything though, no? I mean will it really impact you that you can't get the good looking helmet because you don't want to get 1000 headshots first? Look at something like Recon. Everyone wanted it but only a few got it, eventually they tied it to vidmaster achievements which were hard as hell, but worth it to get what you wanted.

Im all for having challenges, but playing devil's advocate; i paid for the game, the Full game. and sometimes i dont want to deal with bullshit challenges like " 600 payback medals by X date' or other asinine challenges where they remove the playlist before i can complete it. what is the harm in having the ability for people to just buy the unlocks? does it hurt those of us that want to play the game and unlock things?

King Leo

Neo Member
I just realized having in-game leaderboards of level times and scores is going to revive the speedrunning community even more. Decent way to make up for the lack of theater in H1/H2/H4 campaign. Massive replay value in this collection.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

EDIT By all or nothing i mean, if you have customization, unlock everything from start. Or don't have it at all.

TL;DComplete

maneil99

I disagree with the argument customization should be open from the start. If I play 1000 games I want to have some sort of cosmetic armor that shows it. I want something to strive for. This is why Advanced Warfare has me so hyped. I think Halo 3 did armor unlocks the best. Make them achievement/skill based.

I disagree with the argument customization should be open from the start. If I play 1000 games I want to have some sort of cosmetic armor that shows it. I want something to strive for. This is why Advanced Warfare has me so hyped. I think Halo 3 did armor unlocks the best. Make them achievement/skill based.

or you could play that many games because you enjoy the game... but hey if carrot on a stick is the only reason people play games, its honestly not my place to judge.

Omni

Will there be bonuses like those pre-order skulls if we choose to buy this game digitally?

I'm just thinking. I'm extremely lazy. And it would be so good to be able to start playing this as soon as it hits midnight here in Australia. But if I miss out on stuff I won't bother

Fracas

#fuckonami

I'm cool with this, as long as it's purely cosmetic.

Madness

ME3 did it right

Im all for having challenges, but playing devil's advocate; i paid for the game, the Full game. and sometimes i dont want to deal with bullshit challenges like " 600 payback medals by X date' or other asinine challenges where they remove the playlist before i can complete it. what is the harm in having the ability for people to just buy the unlocks? does it hurt those of us that want to play the game and unlock things?

Nah, I get where you're coming from. I hate having something locked, but like I said, you have more to gain than lose by having it locked. You're not going to stop playing or not buy MCC or Halo 5 if they have wicked armors locked from the get go, but you will get other players to play longer if you do that. Ideally you'd want things that don't impact game play at all, but also aren't frustrating to achieve. Something fun like, maybe a sweet set of leg armor if you get 250 splatters, a really nice helmet for 500 headshots, some kind of heavy chest armor for 500 grenade kills. You're just rewarding time and player investment in the game, the carrot approach, and it's something people like.

Look how many reached SR-130 and started complaining there was nothing to do. Additionally, by having it where you can pay to get it, you diminish the value of said items. Why would anyone invest time to winning 300 games if they spend $5 and buy it. Of course it's more money to 343, but it somewhat cheapens the experience.

I thought ME3 did great with providing the items for everyone, but thought they really screwed up with the amount of items you could get from premium spectre packs. In the end, even if you paid, you weren't guaranteed anything, but it was a roll of the dice you might get something. I played it for several months, even spent tons of money on points, and yet maybe 10% of the time, got what I actually wanted. Plus, the only reason it worked in mass effect is because the game has more RPG elements. Winning an upgraded gun, a new character. In Halo, you're really already limited to armor, weapon skins, maybe a stance if those came back.

LOL My arch nemesis is streaming right now (Unknwn XIX)! Just noticed his "broadcasting" on XBL. I met this dude randomly on Halo 4, sent him a FR, he accepted, I attempted to reach out and play multiple times, never interacted with him ever again.

He remains on my friends list and he appears to have the hiccups; I think he's sick. UPDATE: He still doesn't respond to me. Thanks all for reading my story. /deardiary

Your posts have never been more interesting than this very moment.

But when you have those unlocks, you have people altering their gameplay to get those things. It's no different than the challenges and achievements we've seen before that require specific multiplayer feats.

The only thing Halo needs to keep fans invested should be the gameplay. Bring back Invasion and Firefight, then go all out with those modes. Have unlocks and things to purchase as consumables in Firefight (ie: Ordnance Drops could fit perfectly into Firefight), similar to PvZ Garden Warfare's sticker packs and coins that you earn, which can be purchased with real money but are also earned quickly. Long, specific grinds to unlock cool shit is lame and doesn't really fit in Halo IMO, if gameplay is their main concern being the carrot at the end of that stick.

Cosmetic unlocks are fine, even interesting sometimes, but I never bothered to do the H3 multiplayer achievements because multiplayer achievements have historically been obnoxious.

Madness

But when you have those unlocks, you have people altering their gameplay to get those things. It's no different than the challenges and achievements we've seen before that require specific multiplayer feats.

The only thing Halo needs to keep fans invested should be the gameplay. Bring back Invasion and Firefight, then go all out with those modes. Have unlocks and things to purchase as consumables in Firefight (ie: Ordnance Drops could fit perfectly into Firefight), similar to PvZ Garden Warfare's sticker packs and coins that you earn, which can be purchased with real money but are also earned quickly. Long, specific grinds to unlock cool shit is lame and doesn't really fit in Halo IMO, if gameplay is their main concern being the carrot at the end of that stick.

True, but something like wins, headshots, assists, grenade kills, isn't something that will have a meaningful impact on the game. It's still within the parameters of Halo game play. Something specific like, get a double kill with a pulse grenade is bad because it's a specific item, and needs to be used in a non-ideal situation.

The game play is what makes Halo, Halo. I agree and it's what is paramount. Having the customization, the unlocks helps to draw in other players and for longer. I've never really liked the carrot approach myself, but I can't deny the tons of people who like it these days. Just look at Destiny. They've got these people hooked trying to get another specific weapon that will give them one more level etc.

My only point being, imagine Funk if they gave you exactly what you wanted out of the game play. You're loving Halo 5, it's what you've wanted since Halo CE, you're not going to stop playing because you hate that a certain armor you think looks cool is locked until you win 1000 matches, it's just a long reward for you to have.

Top Bottom