• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halt And Catch Fire S4 |OT| The Final Season - Saturdays 9/8c on AMC

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
These 2 episodes were pure nostalgia for me. Overwhelmingly so. It seems so far away and still so close to me. I got a feeling I'll enjoy this season the most.

blanky

This was a really nice opening, really loved the pace of it and still feeling like you get to know these characters more and that they still have ways to grow. Can't wait till next week.

What an amazing premiere. Starting with that long tracking shot that's also a montage and time skip at the same time? Amazing storytelling right there. Then some absolutely gorgeous shots like this

DHrm80tWsAAPQKV.jpg:large

(note how Donna, through the reflection, is on Gordon's side. That's some A+ visual storytelling)

Loved how Cameron and Joe's phone conversation captured that feeling when you're talking to a friend you haven't talked to in ages, just the way they're milling about and doing the things you do when no one is watching.

God this show is great. Glad it's back and getting the send-off it deserves.

Also this is probably the only show I've ever seen that depicts and talks about videogames like it actually knows what it's talking about, and not just in a dumbed-down way to appeal to an audience that has no clue what games are. I really appreciate that.

Mindlog

I liked that Cameron's game, once left idle, did the whole slowly spin the camera around the character thing that used to be so common.
Her entire game design philosophy was just pandering to gaming GAF. Gave me a chuckle. That character would have a huge fan base over here.

near

Gold Member
Damn I completely forgot about this show, need to recap S3 before I begin watching this.

nampad

Great start, dislike the fact that Gordon told Donna about Joe's idea though. He should know how important it is to keep ideas close, especially with someone like Donna, who works for a VC company and already competed with them on browsers.

Not sure if I should be happy or not that they skipped the whole browser war thing for a search engine war.

RS4-

The thing that got me about the Joe + Cam phone scenes is that it brings back memories of those times where you were in the same situation, falling asleep on the phone, waking up and continuing where you left off.

The thing that got me about the Joe + Cam phone scenes is that it brings back memories of those times where you were in the same situation, falling asleep on the phone, waking up and continuing where you left off.

It was amazing, During the 90's, my wife and I basically fell in love during such long, late night phone calls. This show has has some personal notes before but not like this!

Those Silicon Valley VC guys shutting out that black woman was just super shitty. SV sucks and still does.

Also, the show putting a black female character with a short haircut into the workplace storyline just for the final season is eerily similar to a certain other show lol.

Nightfall

Only seen the first episode so far, but it's a very strong start. Loved the whole dynamic between Cameron and Joe
The whole never ending phone call was great,
followed by the brilliant bathroom brake.

I love this show since the very first episode of the very first season. I never thought they'd make a second season, but now we're at 4. And even though it's the last I'm not mad. It's a great show with a fantastic sense of Zeitgeist and in my opinion one of the most intelligent pieces of TV in the last 10 years.
And I'd rather see it go out on a high note with 4 seasons than drag along like a lot of other shows.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
L + SD Ratings:

Season 1:

Episode 1: 1.19 million
Episode 2: 970K
Episode 3: 765K
Episode 4: 844K
Episode 5: 575K
Episode 6: 717K
Episode 7: ??
Episode 8: 627K
Episode 9: 549K
Episode 10: 574K

Season 2:

Episode 1: 659K
Episode 2: 494K
Episode 3: 452K
Episode 4: 451K
Episode 5: 543K
Episode 6: 558K
Episode 7: 499K
Episode 8: 497K
Episode 9: 588K
Episode 10: 485K

Season 3:

Episodes 1 & 2: 339K
Episode 3: 397K
Episode 4: 312K
Episode 5: 324K
Episode 6: 280K
Episode 7: 307K
Episode 8: 366K
Episode 9: 407K
Episode 10: 287K

Season 4:

Episodes 1 & 2: 340K
Episode 3: 270K
Episode 4: 344K
Episode 5: 313K
Episode 6: 354K
Episode 7: 322K
Episode 8: 327K

L + SD Ratings:

Season 1:

Episode 1: 1.19 million
Episode 2: 970K
Episode 3: 765K
Episode 4: 844K
Episode 5: 575K
Episode 6: 717K
Episode 7: ??
Episode 8: 627K
Episode 9: 549K
Episode 10: 574K

Season 2:

Episode 1: 659K
Episode 2: 494K
Episode 3: 452K
Episode 4: 451K
Episode 5: 543K
Episode 6: 558K
Episode 7: 499K
Episode 8: 497K
Episode 9: 588K
Episode 10: 485K

Season 3:

Episodes 1 & 2: 339K
Episode 3: 397K
Episode 4: 312K
Episode 5: 324K
Episode 6: 280K
Episode 7: 307K
Episode 8: 366K
Episode 9: 407K
Episode 10: 287K

Season 4:

Episodes 1 & 2: 340K

Are you going to post this every week? Because I feel like half the posts in previous threads were people whining about ratings. It's well established that ratings for this show are bad.

Those Silicon Valley VC guys shutting out that black woman was just super shitty. SV sucks and still does.

Also, the show putting a black female character with a short haircut into the workplace storyline just for the final season is eerily similar to a certain other show lol.

Are you referring to Mad Men? If so I think that was season 6 but I may be misremembering.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Are you going to post this every week? Because I feel like half the posts in previous threads were people whining about ratings. It's well established that ratings for this show are bad.

I will update that post every week, for posterity. People talk about ratings because it interests them, although I suspect that that won't be the case this year because it's the final season and the ratings don't matter.

Are you referring to Mad Men? If so I think that was season 6 but I may be misremembering.

Dawn was introduced in season 5.

kevin1025

Banned

I think it's interesting to see where things lie. Since it's the final year, and we get it no matter what, I don't think there's really any whining to be done about ratings.

Watched the premiere on demand yesterday and this show remains one of my absolute favorites of all-time. It absolutely nails the 80s/early 90s feel. Set/prop design, clothing, music, lifestyle/family...it's all absolutely on point. Me having a passion for the history of computing and that particular time period makes this pretty much the perfect show for me. Each of the lead actors is brilliant as well.

Sad to see it go, but I'm glad it's going out in it's own terms.

I definitely cannot buy Joe's transformation into long-haired shut-in

Joe redefines himself every season though. He's never clung to any identity for long. I think Cameron is the only one with whom he's ever truly felt like himself. He always tried to be what people needed him to be. He was working on the browser because Cameron was working on the browser. He became obsessed with it/her. That metaphor is made clear in the premiere when they're talking in the basement and Cameron says "you want to talk about what we're actually talking about?" (paraphrasing). Like Mad Men, which definitely shaped the initial pilot and most of season 1, this is a show concerned with identity as a concept, and how we let our environments define us as much as we define ourselves.

I definitely cannot buy Joe's transformation into long-haired shut-in

Joe redefines himself every season though. He's never clung to any identity for long. I think Cameron is the only one with whom he's ever truly felt like himself. He always tried to be what people needed him to be. He was working on the browser because Cameron was working on the browser. He became obsessed with it/her. That metaphor is made clear in the premiere when they're talking in the basement and Cameron says "you want to talk about what we're actually talking about?" (paraphrasing). Like Mad Men, which definitely shaped the initial pilot and most of season 1, this is a show concerned with identity as a concept, and how we let our environments define us as much as we define ourselves.

The above answer is good, and I also think that (s3 spoiler)
Ryan's death
had a lasting impact on him. It really seemed like those two clicked, and Joe could still be struggling with his
suicide

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Joe redefines himself every season though. He's never clung to any identity for long.

I get it, it's the character. They played with his mystique a lot in S1 & 2. And him being mega-obsessed with a tech thing (and Cameron simultaneously) is expected. I was just saying on a more basic level this is an almost cartoony visual shift, especially the glasses and jacket. And maybe, now that I think of it, the obsessions being expected might be a little too reliable. But y'know only two eps blah blah.

jstripes

Banned
(note how Donna, through the reflection, is on Gordon's side. That's some A+ visual storytelling)

Yup, I took that shot as them both realizing the same thing at the same time.
The index of the web is the next big thing.

Also, Gordon denying a desperate Boz money right before Donna hooks him up with a job at a competing company is not going to go well for Gordon down the line.

KodaRuss

That phone call was the fucking best scene in the entire series.

Joe finally became a person.

Yeah, the phone call was great. I am sure I wasnt the only one who spent hours on the phone with someone well into the night. It felt very real.

It looks like they are going out with a bang in season 4, the first two episode were really great.

ezekial45

Banned
That phone call was the fucking best scene in the entire series.

Joe finally became a person.

Yeah, those scenes were just incredible. I was legitimately chocked up during the scene where she fell asleep and he stayed on the phone, and I don't say that lightly. That was incredibly sweet and heartfelt.

I'm seriously gonna miss this show when it's gone.

The personality growth that Joe has had over the years is amazing to watch. From the guy who set fire to all those early portable computers just because he was bored and wanted a new challenge to the guy who stays on the line to keep Cameron from being alone all night.

This show is stunning. I still get chills from Ryan's you are not safe speech.

Eklesp

Finally caught the new episodes. Love this show so much. I am going to miss it. Feels almost like the show itself and the people in it are like the technology and ideas they have had, slowly fading away.

The last part with Cam and Joe
Seemed like the excitement is what draws them and neither of them can handle relationships when normal and mundane
. I hope we don't get a sad ending where they are just together and unhappy.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I completely forgot that this series uses a lot of post-color in-correction.

I hate how green and orange and brown everything looks.

Best part of the episode:

Emotionally dependent scarecrow: San Jose is so weird.
Asshole who has a hard-on for train wrecks: It's actually bigger than San Francisco.
Runaway bride if the bride was actually dumped for another woman: Yet it feels so much smaller.

Honestly, I just can't with those two.

Let me disappear for years and shit on our project.

- Okay.

Let me come back and pretend that nothing every happened while I drop some random facts about my trip to Japan.

- Okay. Let me read you things.

- PS. I'm divorcing.

- Okay. Let me drive to San Jose (ugh) to fuck!

Ugh. Stop. Just stop!

Eklesp

Honestly, I just can't with those two.

Let me disappear for years and shit on our project.

- Okay.

Let me come back and pretend that nothing every happened while I drop some random facts about my trip to Japan.

- Okay. Let me read you things.

- PS. I'm divorcing.

- Okay. Let me drive to San Jose (ugh) to fuck!

Ugh. Stop. Just stop!

Dysfunction, obsessed with the idea of one another. What I think the ending scene portrayed, their realization of that.

Top Bottom