• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halt And Catch Fire S4 |OT| The Final Season - Saturdays 9/8c on AMC

Sandfox

Cameron
hating on Doom because some dude called it the future of gaming
is both hilarious and sad at her expense.

They really went all in on the game industry references this episode, down to using accurate graphics in the EGM issue. Whether or not we see more of that I guess will depend on what Cameron persues the rest of the season.

It's such a wild idea to have Donna more or less competing with her daughter and I love it.

JackDT

B9hvf3Gh.jpg

spehcSah.jpg

Cameron

Yup.

Never before have the writers given us such a clear picture that Cameron is wrong.

Season 2 came very close but it didn't actually show her coming up against something we knew would change shit.

I'm actually not sure if I should be disappointed at the writers (
a genius visionary like Cameron would instantly see what Carmack is doing
) or praising them (Cameron's refusal to like any revolutionary idea that is not hers). Cameron was ahead of the curve concerning the early days of computers. With the medium of video games? She's lagging, primarily because she has no control over how people play her final product.

I definitely cannot buy Joe's transformation into long-haired shut-in

Yeah, if they don't at least reference that he was once a Steve Jobs-popular visionary, I'm not buying it.

Sandfox

Yup.

Never before have the writers given us such a clear picture that Cameron is wrong.

Season 2 came very close but it didn't actually show her coming up against something we knew would change shit.

I'm actually not sure if I should be disappointed at the writers (
a genius visionary like Cameron would instantly see what Carmack is doing
) or praising them (Cameron's refusal to like any revolutionary idea that is not hers). Cameron was ahead of the curve concerning the early days of computers. With the medium of video games? She's lagging, primarily because she has no control over how people play her final product.

Yeah, if they don't at least reference that he was once a Steve Jobs-popular visionary, I'm not buying it.

Cameron is a terrible businessperson and will never find success if she's allowed to make decisions. I don't even know if I would consider her a visionary as much as her just wanting to be a rebel . I really think Joe, Gordon, and Cameron work best together and would've found success if it wasn't for all the drama that continues to push them apart.

Joe is still coming up with ideas, but all the crap that has happened to him throughout the series has caught up to him and a lot of it was unfair.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Excellent followup to last week's very strong premiere.

Well, he was able to immediately get on the phone with the guy that Gordon unsuccessfully (?) spent all of last week's second episode trying to reach.

He also negotiated a better deal for the sale of their company that resulted in them receiving twice the money that Gordon had originally estimated.

Another great episode. I love this show so much. My favorite moment was the transition to Joe and Gordon's business meeting with Haley.

Cameron

If anything I think it's sad at gaming's expense. 15 years later and here we are: skinner boxes rule the landscape, at least financially. Although Doom isn't really a skinner box as we understand the term now, ironically.

But in some sense I think Cameron is right, in that she's looking further ahead to immersive online gaming. I think she's basically going to build Everquest or Ultimate Online on the show, or something analogous, not using the same name of course.

This show's so good. Setting Donna up to compete with her own daughter is both brilliant and crushing, as she has to choose between success and recognition at work or crushing her daughter's dreams. She's probably too far along to pull the plug now. Involving the kids in the show like this is really smart.

Sapiens

The graphics in Cameron's new game aside, what else was anachronistic?

Well, just in this episode:

EGM covering PC games. EGM having a "review crew" in the format depicted. EGM giving any sort of attention to a singular developer like that.

Atari being a major force in American PC gaming.

Cameron having a beta release of SMK 1.5 years before it came out (impossible).

And there are many others in other episodes, but I'd have to go back and watch them. They're there though. Not shitting on the show, but they do play fast and loose with small details. It's weird to take the time to include these details and then get a lot of things wrong.

mm04

Well, just in this episode:

EGM covering PC games.

Atari being a major force in American PC gaming.

Cameron having a beta release of SMK 1.5 years before it came out (impossible).

And there are many others in other episodes, but I'd have to go back and watch them. They're there though.

I kinda view it as this timeline existing in a slightly different universe where some things are the same and some are different. I do love the Haley website story line. It's going to be very interesting how that all plays out.

I'm glad I don't let trivia like that distract me. Like yeah I know Atari wasn't relevant at the time of the show's setting but who cares? It's a name people know, it's shorthand. This isn't a historical documentary. In terms of actually getting the things that matter about the period right they knock it out of the park. They don't talk about games in a way that makes it clear that the people writing the show have no idea what they're talking about, you know?

Sapiens

I kinda view it as this timeline existing in a slightly different universe where some things are the same and some are different. I do love the Haley website story line. It's going to be very interesting how that all plays out.

Joe: "We'll call it Joe's Alta-McMoogle! A product of my visionary talking and brooding"

Gordon: "I can't believe it, against all odds and using only the amazing and mysterious HTML abilities of a 13 year old, we've recaptured our lost fortunes, Joe."

Cut to Joe McMillan setting all servers on fire.

mm04

Joe: "We'll call it Joe's Alta-McMoogle! A product of my visionary talking and brooding"

Gordon: "I can't believe it, against all odds and using only the amazing and mysterious HTML abilities of a 13 year old, we've recaptured our lost fortunes, Joe."

Cut to Joe McMillan setting all servers on fire.

I was an Excite homepage person, myself.

Cameron is a terrible businessperson and will never find success if she's allowed to make decisions.

If the series were set today, Cameron would probably be one of the people that thinks Twitch is a cancer to the industry even though it is exactly her philosophy.

I don't even know if I would consider her a visionary as much as her just wanting to be a rebel.

Seasons 1 and 2 Cameron were 100% visionaries. Then they got more jaded as the industry got bigger.

dabig2

Man, this show is awesome. Can't wait to see Donna's company go up against the combined minds of Joe, Gordon, and her own daughter. Hopefully Cam gets involved with the project too.

Loved the crushing your head reference too. Loved that skit when I was a kid.
Kids in the Hall: Head Crusher

I was worried they would straight up just paint Donna as an antagonist so I'm glad we got that dinner scene that grounded her and made her look loving to at least one of her kids and the other people on the team

This rivalry stuff will get ugly because the show has always put these characters at odds with each other but I'm glad that theyre going the more ambiguous route here once again with their diverging ideas and conflict

dabig2

Sucks that there's no new episode. Not like ratings matter anyways! At least Twin Peaks finale is still airing tomorrow.

I blame AOL. Gonna watch the new season on Narcos for my Donna fix.

I marked out when I saw her in Narcos. Pretty fitting she's in another show that's basically occupying the same time period.

jerry113

Banned
It's almost tragic watching these two groups knowing they're both about to get ambushed by Yahoo / Google

edit:
why cam?

Sandfox

Cameron is never going to be happy.
At the beginning of the episode everyone was smiling and they had a good thing going only for her to ruin everything over the course of a single episode(though it had multiple time jumps).

I'm going to miss this show when it's gone.

Stiler

Love this show, the tension this season between both sides is intense, especially after this latest reveal.

Just hope Joe/Cameron don't end up yet again like they did before.

Also, did I miss something or are they leaving out Gordon's whole brain trauma from the past seasons? Seems like he's almost better now...

ezekial45

Banned
Love this show, the tension this season between both sides is intense, especially after this latest reveal.

Just hope Joe/Cameron don't end up yet again like they did before.

Also, did I miss something or are they leaving out Gordon's whole brain trauma from the past seasons? Seems like he's almost better now...

Yeah, they said it was a neurological disorder that manifested itself through stress, but it could be managed. He said in the premiere that he was exercising and staying fit to keep himself in order. And that's it, but it may come up again later.

If I had to give one major criticism through the series, it would be that it just drops storylines and characters really abruptly. It's really weird.

It's almost tragic watching these two groups knowing they're both about to get ambushed by Yahoo / Google

This entire series has been about them losing in one form or another. By directly setting it in the real world, the writers have set an incredibly dramatic stage.

To be fair,
Bosworth is like a father to her and he was in trouble.
Everything else she does gets that kind of response from me though.

Yep, I understand exactly why she did it. I can't wait to see the fallout. It's going to be a sad day when this show is over.

Top Bottom