• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halt And Catch Fire S4 |OT| The Final Season - Saturdays 9/8c on AMC

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
I mean, I knew it was inevitable but didn’t think it would happen quite that far from the finale. :(

ezekial45

Banned
Wow, that was fucking touching and so heartbreaking. His last scene was fucking beautiful. That was a stellar episode.

Goodbye, Gordon. :(

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
And it was such a pleasant episode too – of course they had to end it like this. :( Can't wait for whatever these guys are doing after this show.

- Donna accidently (allegedly) shutting the door on Joe's hand was funny as hell
- Having Gordon fix one last thing was just beautiful with the ending in mind
- Judging by the conversation on the frontyard between Donna and Joe, it sounded like she was not taking the offer from Diane after all
- Really liked the introduction scene of Cameron just completely immersing herself into game development. I love that feeling of benevolent chaos, even if it has become more rare for me these days
- I very much hope Joe MacMillan won't do one last Joe MacMillan. He seems more self-aware this season though
- Crazy how good this show deals with passage of time. We have had 7 episodes of the 90s and yet it feels like we've been there forever

Stiler

I thought he was going to be ok, wasn't expecting it :(.

I thought the actors had great chemistry together, Joe and him, hope they work on something together in the future.

Damn, having Donna sing "Baby mine" while comforting their baby and that orange light behind Gordon. I hope my death can be as beautiful.

TheOddOne

- A|V Club Review: Halt And Catch Fire finds its heart, and breaks ours.
- Sepinwall: Gordon Sees The Future And Past In An Emotional ‘Halt And Catch Fire’.
- Vulture: Halt and Catch Fire Recap: The Ballad of Gordon Clark.
- TVLine: Halt and Catch Fire's Scoot McNairy Reacts to That Dark, 'Beautiful' Twist.
TVLINE | When did you first find out that Gordon was going to die?

We had been talking about his health issues catching up with him, and the idea of his toxic encephalopathy diagnosis coming to a head, since the beginning of Season 3. When we got the announcement for the fourth and final season, I brought it up to them again, like, “Hey, should we have Gordon meet his demise?” They were thinking it. I was thinking it. And about two months before we started production, they came to me and asked, “How do you feel about killing off the character?” I said that I thought it was a great idea in regards to the story. It brings a sense of realism to it. Then it became a discussion of when to kill him off…
They wanted to kill him off in [Episode 7] because they didn’t want to end the show on a sad note.
So it gave them the opportunity to end the show on a high note, and not make it all about Gordon’s death.
TVLINE | Safe to say we’ll see Gordon again in some capacity before the series comes to an end?

Potentially! I will say this: what they did with him after he died was just as smart and beautiful as what they did with his death.
- EW: Halt and Catch Fire star Scoot McNairy on Gordon's shocking
As he dies, he hallucinates Donna and his daughters in his home. What was the significance of that being the last thing he thought of before he died?

I can’t really speak too freely as to episode 8, but I think a lot of those questions get answered in episode 8.
He makes a very life-changing decision later on and that is the reason why he sort of flashes back to that memory, because it was a decision in his life that totally would’ve changed his life. Because he made the decision that he made, he had a wife and kids and a family and he was able to fulfill his dreams.
- AMC: Halt and Catch Fire Q&A — Scoot McNairy (Gordon Clark).

fuck that really got me. Knew it was coming, lots of fakeouts/foreshadowing that episode, and yet it still blindsided me. That final vision was just beautiful. RIP Gordo

nampad

Damn Gordo :(
He held on longer than his diagnose made it sound possible but he seemed much better this season.

jon_i634

Banned
That was a fantastic episode. Not a lot of shows would, or could, handle a character death like that so wonderfully. Moving stuff, especially seeing everyone's reactions. No overbearing music, no over-the-top sobbing, it just seemed very human.

bleaker

Well shit, had to have a good cry before work I guess. Gordan was the character I, and I assume many others, identified with the most. Scoot Mcnairy killed it throughout the she's run, and its gonna be a shame to have three hours without him.

Please someone give this show a freaking Emmy already.

TVexperto

Halt and Catch Fire is one of the best tv shows on television. Its in credible how a show that is focused on technology is actually a fantastic show about humans and their lifes.

RS4-

Despite knowing that it'd eventually happen...it doesn't lessen how much it hurts to actually see it.

I love this show., the characters, the ups and downs, the actors, everyone involved.

Well I bawled like a goddamn baby. That was so incredibly sad.

edit: Reading some of the reviews right now and tearing up again. I guess that's the sign of a truly great episode of television.

big ander

Even pretty much knowing it would happen this episode—I'd been betting on him dying sometime in the season before the series finale, but on top of that I saw several headlines that were vague but not quite vague enough—that ruined me.

McNairy's comments on episode 8 make it sound really interesting, looking forward to that. (I think it's a little weird how much credit he's taking for the choice to kill Gordon, I mean there's no way the writers weren't strongly considering it.) The way he phrases it has me guessing
Gordon willed some/all of his assets to Donna before dying. Including his stake in Comet.

And my prediction now is the same as it was at the start of the season: Joe, Donna and Cam (and Haley) are going to team up for the Comet re-launch. Donna's going to say no thanks to Diane's offer and Cam's predictive AI technology is going to find an application with Comet.

I'm in disbelief. I can't believe he is gone. It was done in such a beautiful way. But it captures how death can come at any time and what you do matters in life. getting choked up just writing this.

Tagg9

Wow. Probably the most emotionally impactful episode of television I've watched all year. Beautifully crafted in every way, and handled with such measured respect for the character.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
I think what saddens me more is it seemed like they were both reconciling their feelings and were starting to realize they wanted to be with each other again... that’s what hit me hardest having recently gone through a separation myself.

I think what saddens me more is it seemed like they were both reconciling their feelings and were starting to realize they wanted to be with each other again... that’s what hit me hardest having recently gone through a separation myself.

Yeah i felt the same. Especially with the vibes of the previous episode where Donna was obviously driving in pain singing along with Pat Benatars We Belong lyrics that could be interpreted also for her pain of losing her best friend and partner (Cam) years ago but especially with Gordon comming to pick her up and her breaking down next to him for me it was a sign of regret and possibile future reconsiliation of her feelings with Gordon.

And Gordons final moments seemed to echo the same thing but from his perspective. All the flashes he had were moments of their life and as a family together.

I think this feeling that two people who for whatever reason got driven appart but deep down still know that they actually belonged together being robbed of this final chance to say to each other how important they were/are to each other and maybe even reconsiling.

This is what crushed me in that scene....

Wow. Probably the most emotionally impactful episode of television I've watched all year. Beautifully crafted in every way, and handled with such measured respect for the character.

Couldn't agree more. Had this old man welling up with tears. It's not over yet, but this season of Halt and Catch Fire might be my favorite single season of television ever. It's been a beautiful journey.

That was a fantastic episode. Not a lot of shows would, or could, handle a character death like that so wonderfully. Moving stuff, especially seeing everyone's reactions. No overbearing music, no over-the-top sobbing, it just seemed very human.

Yeah. That scene with Donna and their daughters holding hands was almost too real. They really let the actors take over here and convey their devastated emotions.

I'm happy that Gordon seemed like he was at peace towards the end. Apart from the little spat with Haley (and Joe, about Haley) he had plenty of good moments this season. The rocket launch scene in particular was just great to watch. I wish I could meet Scoot McNairy and shake his hand and tell him what a great job he did as Gordon.

Nightfall

Halt and Catch Fire is one of the best tv shows on television. Its in credible how a show that is focused on technology is actually a fantastic show about humans and their lifes.

This so much. This show really came a long way from season 1. And I love it since the very beginning. Along with Mr Robot it’s my favorite show right now.
Despite a lot of characters it’s basically just about 5 people and their character development is amazing.

This episode hit me so hard. I didn’t think they’d do it so soon before the finale. It was heartbreaking and beautiful.

Have to comment on the S1 thing as i keep reading it every once in a while and i just don't understand it.

So comments like how far the show has come since S1 irk me somewhat because personally i thought S1 was good and one of my favorites. Sure there were some slow and kinda boring spots in the first couple of eps (especially around Cam) but the chemistry of the characters and the whole time period with the concept of the first season was what got me hooked in the first place.

Personally going into S2 i found that underwhelming at first compared to S1 but grew to like it as well.

So what i am trying to say is stop saying that S1 was the worst of the seasons lol and that the show evolved so much since then because yes the show has obviously evolved but S1 was a very solid season to start with it just grew into something even better with more time on the characters.

Why stop saying it? Season one was laughably bad, to the point where I wasn't even planning on watching season two and I had been incredibly hyped for the show before it initially premiered.

The difference between season one and seasons two through four is staggering. It got so much better.

- J - D -

I hear a lot that season 1 is like a tech-savvy Mad Men wannabe, and I think that's apt.

I can't say that I'm fond of the first season or have nostalgia glasses on for it since I didn't follow this show from it's inception to now. Maybe that affects how I view the show. I prefer season 3 onward.

Top Bottom