• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halt And Catch Fire S4 |OT| The Final Season - Saturdays 9/8c on AMC

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
Have to comment on the S1 thing as i keep reading it every once in a while and i just don't understand it.

So comments like how far the show has come since S1 irk me somewhat because personally i thought S1 was good and one of my favorites. Sure there were some slow and kinda boring spots in the first couple of eps (especially around Cam) but the chemistry of the characters and the whole time period with the concept of the first season was what got me hooked in the first place.

Personally going into S2 i found that underwhelming at first compared to S1 but grew to like it as well.

So what i am trying to say is stop saying that S1 was the worst of the seasons lol and that the show evolved so much since then because yes the show has obviously evolved but S1 was a very solid season to start with it just grew into something even better with more time on the characters.

I really liked the first season, but it feels disconnected from the rest of the seasons looking back. The second season was essentially a reboot.

Why stop saying it? Season one was laughably bad, to the point where I wasn't even planning on watching it and I had been incredibly hyped for the show before it initially premiered.

The difference between season one and seasons two through four is staggering. It got so much better.

I thought season 1 ended on a high note with comdex. But yeah the show didn’t really shine until that point.

They had no idea what this show was in Season 1. While I'm glad I stuck with it, Season 1 was an uneven mess. The only thing that kept me going was the tech focus, I was inches from dropping the show after the first season. I'm with dead souls on this 100%, my experience was identical.

Nightfall

Have to comment on the S1 thing as i keep reading it every once in a while and i just don't understand it.

So comments like how far the show has come since S1 irk me somewhat because personally i thought S1 was good and one of my favorites. Sure there were some slow and kinda boring spots in the first couple of eps (especially around Cam) but the chemistry of the characters and the whole time period with the concept of the first season was what got me hooked in the first place.

Personally going into S2 i found that underwhelming at first compared to S1 but grew to like it as well.

So what i am trying to say is stop saying that S1 was the worst of the seasons lol and that the show evolved so much since then because yes the show has obviously evolved but S1 was a very solid season to start with it just grew into something even better with more time on the characters.

That's not what I was saying. I love Season 1! Otherwise I wouldn't still be with this show.
What I was trying to say was that this show has evolved even more. It was a show about tech and about remarkable people in tech. And it took that concept and built upon that, making an already great show into something absolutely fantastic.

Over the course of the seasons, it is as if the camera started with a wide angle view of the growing tech industry and slowly zoomed in onto the hearts of the people behind the tech.
It is beautiful.

I have no reference regarding to Mad Men so i never drew that comparison to S1. I did not find S1 disjointed or laughably bad at all. Had i done that i would have not come back for more. S1 was different then S2-3 or now 4 but it had a good concept and a good vibe to it which i personally could appriciate a lot.

Sure there was not that much long term cohesion yet on the horizon appart from lets reverse engineer and ripoff an IBM computer at the start with lots of annoying as hell Cameron shittyness in between but i don't know i liked it.

Maybe its because i grew up in the 80's and my first computer was a C64 i really liked the whole setup of lets build a computer from scratch mixed in between with some character drama and some stuff that could've been better for sure.

So S1 may not be as polished as later seasons but imho S2 was not at all that big of a leap in quallity. Yes the storyline was more thought out but there was in my memory also a ton of padding with the same issues in most of the episodes over and over and over (at least on the Mutiny side of things) while Joe was basically on the sidelines as a character for maybe 1/3rd of the season.

Again i also liked where they ended up with in S2 but it had a lot of grating moments for me which again were mostly associated with Cameron as a character and the interactions she had with almost every other cast member.

I am quite happy with the journey overall from S1 to now and will definately be sad to see this show gone as it has become a secret favorite of mine of the last years.

Season 1 was... not great. This show was clearly conceived of as a Mad Men mad lib, it was even on the same network and premiered as it was about to end. It's a period piece. You've got Joe as a Don surrogate - super handsome guy with a mysterious checkered past basically conning himself into a job. It just didn't have a unique voice. Everyone was throwing histrionic fits and yelling at each other every single episode because DRAMA. But there was something there, and I think they found it towards the end of season 1. The last 2 or 3 episodes were very good. Season 2 is where the show found its voice and became tonally and thematically much more consistent, as well as qualitatively. Joe became a much better character and not just an agent of chaos. The last 2 seasons have been straight-up phenomenal and I think cemented this as one of the best, and most underrated, dramas of our time, maybe all time.

And if you somehow haven't seen Mad Men yet but you love this show - you are in for a treat.

Masterblaster we are certainly in the minority but I agree with pretty much everything you've said. Season 1 was a bit more focused on the tech and the industry than the characters and I didn't have a problem with that at all because it's what I signed up for. But as the series progressed and it became more character-driven I found myself loving it even more, and for different reasons.

I actually thought s2 was a bit less entertaining than s1 overall but I respect what it did because it set up the amazing 3rd and 4th seasons. To each their own though, there are no wrong opinions and I would think most people in here would agree that the show overall has been great. It's in my top 3 all time dramas with Black Mirror and Breaking Bad.

I haven't done a thorough re-watching of the early seasons yet and I'm certainly going to make a point to once s4 is over. Maybe my opinion will change after that but you know what they say about 1st impressions.

I really do need to finally watch Mad Men, though. Shame on me.

Nightfall

With all of you talking about the seasons and their development my current ranking would be (assuming season 4 doesn't have a sudden drop in quality):

4 - 3 - 1 - 2

I think the showrunners didn't know what to do beyond season 1, that's why season 2 feels so drastically different. Not to say that it's bad, it certainly isn't, but you can feel that they had a bit of a struggle to find a clear direction.
I love every season of this show, so ranking them is still kinda hard.

big ander

3>4>2>1 for me so far, and I think it'll stay that way. The last three episodes would have to be either unfathomably great or shockingly terrible for s4's position to change.

Season 1 wasn't atrocious by any stretch, but it was rough for half the season and it wasn't until Comdex that it even became clear what the show was going to be.

mm04

Woo that was devastating. I figured it would happen and the moment it became obvious Gordon was seeing his life flash before his eyes it was over. Still the way they executed what kind of impact he had on the rest of the cast was really well done. I really really love how the characters have all grown over the seasons. What a great show.

Klocker

they have done a great and a surprising job investing us in these characters especially on such a long time arc.

really well done and surprised how far it's come from the first season.

was really invested in these people today (Just watched last two episodes) so that says something

ezekial45

Banned
I really hope they'll release a box set for this series. I don't even think they put out S3 yet for a physical video release.

Got home and finished this weeks episode WOW this hit me hard. I just started crying mainly because the relationship between Joe and Gordon was so awesome. Everyone was in a good place and getting better.

Thinking over the episode the whole fixing the AC unit plot so well done. A great way to show where they were as friends and business partners.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
This episode hit hard.

I miss my ex wife. This weekend is her bday.

This episode brought all those feelings of loss and reconciliation back.

Bleh.

Fantastic episode tho.

The scene with Donna and Cameron absolutely broke me. The way the camera framed them was beautiful.

I am unbelievably happy the actresses were on good terms and this didn't turn out to be a Good Wife situation where they'd never have a moment together again. Because this was everything.

I kept it together last episode but this episode brought on the waterworks.

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
This was the greatest episode of the whole series for me, easily. Every single minute was beautiful and equally haunting and sad – just so many incredible character moments. Constant sniveling and uncontrollable tears from my end. This could have been the finale for all I care, but it feels real nice to have two more episodes of epilogue.

together with the season finale of hannibal season 2, this is the greatest episode of television i have ever seen. could barely breathe towards the end. the character development in this show is outstanding.

TV shows always do this to me but it would’ve been nice for the episode to have ended with Gordon in the lake with the ripples around him. It was a gorgeous shot but I know they wanted to have a circled beginning and end.

Anna Chlumsky surprisingly did well in her few moments in the season. I hope she finds post Veep work.

Side-note: I’m really sick of all those shitty clickbait TV shows like TVLine who plaster the web with SHOCKING CHARACTER DEATH along with an interview with the actors name in the title. I know they need to make money but still.

nampad

Haley is such a savage. Sees Joe sobbing like a baby and tells him to pass the salt! ;)
That Goodwill guy was also lucky that Joe didn't punch through his face.

Great episode but I hope we will get some tech stuff in the last two episodes again because that's why I fell in love with the show.
Amazing how much the cinematography advanced on this show though. Kind of sad that it doesn't get the praise it deserves.

Great episode. I can't believe there is only next week's doubleheader and then it's over. Even though I watch a million shows I'm really going to miss this one.

Great episode it hit me again hard in a couple of scenes. Everyone processing his loss in their own way. Major props to the writers of this arc it’s been so good.

NYR

We are watching. Its not like this show needed ratings to go on (thankfully).
Um. Not quite. The show got this final season because the AMC executives can afford to take the loss on advertising. Cable shows only exist for primarily one reason - to drive advertising dollars. Why do you think this show is on Saturday night? When was the last time a weekly drama aired on a Saturday night? It’s because the ad revenue is basically non existant for weekend shows, it is why a lot of cable channels just air movies.

Only one episode ever had more than a million viewers. You can count on one hand the number of shows who had 4 seasons that had the level of low ratings the show gets, less than 350k watch weekly, unfortunately. The show is very very lucky, and AMC isn’t too generous - Low Winter Sun averaged closer to a million people weekly for the first 7 weeks and still got cancelled after one season.

mm04

Yep, this show has somehow managed to make me fall in love with all of the main cast of characters again, but at the same time. That has never happened simultaneously for me. At one point or another, I've been angry at each of the characters. But just like in real life, tragedy sometimes brings people together. They absolutely nailed the passage of time and how all of them have grown and changed. Having them all at Gordon's house to pack and dinner was so very familial. Mr Robot gets all the buzz, and I do like the show very much, but THIS tech show is my favorite.

Cam and Donna's rapprochement made me bawl. I was kind of a mess for most of this episode to be honest, god. I don't know if any show has portrayed the loss of a loved one with such grace and sensitivity. Even Joanie's teen 'tude felt pitch-perfect. I wasn't really feeling the flashbacks (especially the first one), if I'm being honest, but I love how the "baby mine" lullaby tied it back to Gordon's last moments in the end. And poor Joe - guy's really been through the wringer the last few years.

Wow. This was perhaps one of the best depictions of how people experience grief I've ever seem. TV usually just shows people sobbing, but it is usually that silent, aching pain while you go about your business that burns the most. Joe was perfect in displaying this.

Gordon would have been happy that everyone was having Boz's chili together at the end.

TripOpt55

The last two episodes have been superb. I'm excited to see how it finishes up this weekend, but will be sad to see it go at the same time.

Halt and Catch Fire I think might be my favorite TV show (at least on right now). Its just fantastic and I can't believe more people aren't watching it. I really hope they bring out a nice Bluray set with lots of special features and extras its just so good I'm really gonna miss this show.

A lot of shows overstay their welcome but not this one. Its left me wanting more.

jond76

Banned
Super powerful. Really nailed the grief angle. Everybody dealt with it differently and I swear they hit almost all emotions I felt when my mom passed a few years back. Only one they missed was the open, full throttle bawling. Haha. Poor Joe was wrecked that he couldn't get that sweater :( Watching people grieve is hard and this cast did not make it easy.

Really great episode. I hope the show ends on a slightly happier note.

Goodbye Gordon.

LQX

Wow, for some damn reason my DVR did not record episode 7 so I just went on to episode 8 and was really, really caught off guard by Gordon's death. So unexpected...and all the emotion in episode 8 is really something else. What a great show, what great characters, glad I stuck with watching it all these years.

Sane_Man

That was one of the most beautiful episodes of TV I've ever seen. Man did it hit hard. Joe at the table at the end barely keeping it together was painful to watch.

I can't wait to see how they close these characters out. Hopefully Joe can push ahead with the relaunch and make it something special. Would love if it honours Gordon in some way. Their relationship is one of my favourite ones in anything.

TheOddOne

Series finale today with two back-to-back episodes:
Season 4: episode 9 "Search"

Donna faces a professional crossroads; Joanie takes a trip; Joe unveils Comet's new look; Cameron asks a favor from a one-time collaborator.

Season 4: episode 10 "Ten of Swords" (Dir. Karyn Kusama)

Donna celebrates a milestone with her closest allies; Cameron contemplates saying goodbye; Joe confronts an uncertain future.
- Promo for the series finale.

ezekial45

Banned
Yeah, I'm gonna miss this show so much. It's been a really great ride. I went from being kinda meh about S1 at the beginning, to a big admirer by the end. This show has just been keeping the quality up ever since, and it's just been so incredible to see it improve over the years.

I can honestly say that this is one of my favorite TV shows ever. It's just been fucking great, and I'm gonna miss it dearly.

Top Bottom