• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hans Zimmer nerding out over his Dune score

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

WOMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Electronic chamber resonators.

Hans notes that classic sci-fi epics lean on traditional orchestral scores, but he wanted to transport the audience somewhere otherworldly.

Aggelos

I think he has every right to geek out about Dune's score, because it's not your typical Sci-Fi score. Think of Spielberg+John WIlliams+Sci-Fi film scores.
I'm also enamored and infatuated with 20th-century orchestration (the likes of which you'll hear in John Williams', Jerry Goldsmith's scores and whatnot), but the answer is no, Dune doesn't need the typical 20th-century orchestration or any 19th-century romantic orchestration for that matter. The way Hans Zimmer and his associates/team did it, that's how Dune has to sound.

Last edited:

intbal

The mini-series score was also good. The lone flute carrying the tunes was a very creative choice that gave it a unique character.

The Sardaukar chant stuck with me, amazing scene and amazing soundtrack:

Zimmer seems to have borrowed from Mongolian throat singing for this movie:

That is why he is still one of the best composers out there. His inspiration and creativity knows no bounds.

Amazing scene, even if it made absolutely no sense.
It was pretty wild and alien-like but makes more sense if go back and watch to see what is really happening. It's a pre-battle chant with a blood ritual sacrifice. Must be routine for them to perform before they head into battle. The scene is supposed to show thier fanaticism.

Razvedka

Banned
It was pretty wild and alien-like but makes more sense if go back and watch to see what is really happening. It's a pre-battle chant with a blood ritual sacrifice. Must be routine for them to perform before they head into battle. The scene is supposed to show thier fanaticism.
No, it made no sense because the exact nature of the origins of the Sarduakar and the conditions of their training was a closely kept secret of the Imperial Family. Selusa Secundus was scarcely more than a whisper of suspicion on the lips of the Landsraad. Any member of any house, but in particular the Harkonnen, would never be permitted to go there and observe the Sarduakar like Piter did in the movie.

The Baron is hinted to know the truth in the novel and a part of his plans are to turn Arrakis into a recruitment world for a fighting force even more terrifying than the Sarduakar: the Fremen. Paul of course wins and ultimately does the same thing. In Herbert's universe, the level of adversity and hardship endured by a people on a world somehow translates into making them better fighters.

The only planet more hellish than Selusa Secundus is Arrakis.

Last edited:
No, it made no sense because the exact nature of the origins of the Sarduakar and the conditions of their training was a closely kept secret of the Imperial Family. Selusa Secundus was scarcely more than a whisper of suspicion on the lips of the Landsraad. Any member of any house, but in particular the Harkonnen, would never be permitted to go there and observe the Sarduakar like Piter did in the movie.

The Baron is hinted to know the truth in the novel and a part of his plans are to turn Arrakis into a recruitment world for a fighting force even more terrifying than the Sarduakar: the Fremen. Paul of course wins and ultimately does the same thing. In Herbert's universe, the level of adversity and hardship endured by a people on a world somehow translates into making them better fighters.

The only planet more hellish than Selusa Secundus is Arrakis.
It's a movie adaptation bro. Not everything is going to be 100% from the book and the scene was perfect for what it wanted to show. Your book rant going off on a tangent takes nothing away from that.

This wasn't about training, conditions, or anything other than showing thier ritual before the battle. The only thing that didn't make sense was peter talking to the commander after the fact and not before. However, that was done on purpose to show the audience what the Sarduakar were like while establishing what is going to happen later in the movie.

Razvedka

Banned
It's a movie adaptation bro. Not everything is going to be 100% from the book and the scene was perfect for what it wanted to show. Your book rant going off on a tangent takes nothing away from that.

This wasn't about training, conditions, or anything other than showing thier ritual before the battle. The only thing that didn't make sense was peter talking to the commander after the fact and not before. However, that was done on purpose to show the audience what the Sarduakar were like while establishing what is going to happen later in the movie.
Talking to you is a complete waste of my time. The next time you'd rather someone just tell you things that you want to hear, please put it in big giant font at the beginning of your post so as to not waste everyone's time. Thanks.

Don't go tugging on conversational threads that you're not interested in having.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Tina Guo looks so different with make up on.

oUM9b6G.jpg

Talking to you is a complete waste of my time. The next time you'd rather someone just tell you things that you want to hear, please put it in big giant font at the beginning of your post so as to not waste everyone's time. Thanks.

Don't go tugging on conversational threads that you're not interested in having.
Nice "conversation" we had.

giphy.gif

Pagusas

Elden Member
I'm going to be honest here... I hate it. With a passion. In fact the soundtrack was the thing that kept me from liking the movie. In the theater it constantly felt like a shrieking banshee in my ear, and the soundtrack always wanted to be "bigger" than the scene it was in.

However, I 100% love seeing him talk, and 100000% respect the man and why he made what he made, he'll always be one of my favorite composers, and seeing him talk like that is just straight delightful.

Last edited:

Razvedka

Banned
I'm going to be honest here... I hate it. With a passion. In fact the soundtrack was the thing that kept me from liking the movie. In the theater it constantly felt like a shrieking banshee in my ear, and the soundtrack always wanted to be "bigger" than the scene it was in.

However, I 100% love seeing him talk, and 100000% respect the man and why he made what he made, he'll always be one of my favorite composers, and seeing him talk like that is just straight delightful.
I liked parts of the soundtrack, like the Sarduakar theme and when the Atreides charge the Harkonnen on the landing strip. The rest just wasn't memorable or a bit grating like you say. This is funny considering the Lynch adaption has a score which I think is pretty iconic. Not sure I'd even rate this as being in the top 10 of Zimmer's scores.

Top Bottom