• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy 23rd birthday Secret of Mana! - A retrospective

One of the best most epic RPG ever. Multiple characters, multiple endings, big ass maps, it totally blew my mind back in the day.

CBTech

I've been playing through Secret of Mana for the first time with my friend. Sadly I've been pretty disappointed in it. Combat lacks impact as there is little feedback on hits/evades. Having the game paused constantly while selecting/casting spells is annoying. I often wonder why it is an action RPG at all. The story and characters aren't very interesting either. The backgrounds, area design, and soundtrack is pretty good though.

How many action RPGs came before Secret of Mana? I've been wondering if the things I find fault with the game are just due to it being in the early development of action RPGs.

RoyalFool

Banned
First video-game to ever make me feel something.

I remember spending a summer holiday just grinding levels in the frost wolf area at the end, with this music..

A Wish, Crystal Forest

Just hearing the first few notes transports me back in time so vividly, to those who say videogames are a waste of time; i'd so love to go back for those carefree days again if I could.

And that fucking final boss bait and switch, I remember going from feeling euphoric and waiting for the credits to roll, to feeling like someone just shat in my sandwich when
Flammie wrecked me in seconds

Absolutely incredible game, pleased a lot of the staff have gone on to success, disappointed the sequels never did the original justice. Best of all it still holds up, My kids will come on the adventure with me in a few years and hopefully enjoy it as much as I did.

TheMoon

I've been playing through Secret of Mana for the first time with my friend. Sadly I've been pretty disappointed in it. Combat lacks impact as there is little feedback on hits/evades. Having the game paused constantly while selecting/casting spells is annoying. I often wonder why it is an action RPG at all. The story and characters aren't very interesting either. The backgrounds, area design, and soundtrack is pretty good though.

How many action RPGs came before Secret of Mana? I've been wondering if the things I find fault with the game are just due to it being in the early development of action RPGs.

A bunch?

Zelda, Soul Blazer, Ys, for example

A classic that I'll always remember fondly.

However...

Great soundtrack, game itself left a lot to be desired. It was such a buggy mess, and the soundtrack was messed up by iffy audio channel priority programming. It loved to cut melody channels to play sound effects.

No lies detected. It was not fun losing tons of progress because the AI got stuck in a wall.

Didn't know Purim was supposed to be an elf.

Was that part the 40% of text Ted was forced to leave out of the game?

I didn't realize she was an elf either until I saw that updated art a couple of years ago. Somehow I missed that detail on both the character art and her sprite.

entremet

What timely thread.

I've been playing this game on the VC recently.

The poor hit detection is really apparent with its age, but I still adore the game as is. I hope it comes to the 3DS SNES VC.

Also some of those ultimate armor drops are brutal! I must have killed hundreds of Griffin Hands and I never got a Griffin Helm (Boy's best helmet) drop.

During my first playthrough the RNGeezuz blessed me since I got it rather quickly.

Very nice OP. This game is a work of art and easily one of my top 5 from childhood. I still listen to the soundtrack often, but the game itself is due for a replay.

I give Ted Woolsey all the credit in the world for his translation. Glad to hear he had fun during that month. haha.

Top Bottom