• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy 25th Anniversary, Final Fantasy!

Which fonts do you mean?

Meant to say the original logos

vpEMK.png

d99R6.png

Melchiah

This is one of my Favorite series ever. The first one I played was Final Fantasy 7 when i was 5. ( I knew how to read when i was 5.) The farthest i got was leaving Midgar and didn't know where to go I traveled the world map for about 2 years until I actually progressed but i still kept playing. everyday haha. After i eventually beat it i borrowed VIII from my older cousin and beat it in a couple of months and When PS2 came out my mom brought home the PS2 Final Fantasy IX and Dark Cloud. (She was amazing at randomly picking up good game haha.) I eventually ended up playing every game in the series except XI which im kinda interested in playing. Every year I hope one day that this series returns to be great one day.

I was 23-24 when I played it in 98-99. I feel old.

Flakster99

I'm greatful to have experienced the series since it's humble beginnings. So many great memories.

I played the original on the NES back in '90, and the series became an obsession for 2 1/2 generations. I also bought at launch Final Fantasy IV with the Super Nintendo back December '91, which blew me completely away.

My top 5, in order or most played to most enjoyable to sheer amazement:

1. Final Fantasy VI
2. Final Fantasy
3. Final Fantasy IV
4. Final Fantasy V
5. Final Fantasy VII

Joule

My first final fantasy game wasn't even a real one but it did set me off into the world of jrpgs and the series proper. The gameboy was the first gaming machine I ever had and Final Fantasy Legend II caught my eye with its cool looking cover so my parents rented it for me. The period of time from when I started playing it to when I had finished it was just a blur. I was just engrossed in how fun and magical this style of game was. After that I just had to have more and I suppose that's what shaped a lot of my gaming tastes today. I forget when it was that I had finally discovered that what I had played was actually SaGa 2 which then sprung me upon that series.

While the newer entries haven't charmed me like the ones of old, hats off to this series anyway.

ubercheez

Happy birthday, FF, you magnificent bastard. Keep on keepin' on... preferably in the non-MMO capacity. I should probably get around to beating FF8 one of these days. And I've only ever gotten maybe a third of the way into FF6.

Excellent OP! The images really brought home how rich the history of this series is. I'd argue for X-2 and XIII-2's inclusion, but that's just a nitpick.

King_Moc

Banned
My first one wasn't even a proper FF. Mystic Quest on the SNES. I loved it at the time, but didn't get to play another until FFVII, which was my first proper one. I've played through all of them since then. Hoping XIV turns out to be good, though the WOW-ness of the alpha was a little worrying.

Loona

Never played FFXI but this is my favorite FF anything.

Have some more - if nothing else (note: there's a lot else), FFXI excels in its music:
whether for a quiet boat trip, a walk through an exotic port market town surrounded by the undead from all sides, witnessing impending doomsday (totally playing this over and over on the 21st, reason or no reason), or challenging the dev team's favorite sociopathic Mary Sue.

Particularly notable: the main hub city's theme, once given lyrics is pretty much in-universe church music.

jiggle

wow i've been playing videogames for way too long

right now, the one FF i want to replay the most is FF11

so what's SE doing to celebrate?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm not exactly sure what I can say about the series right now. If I were in the right mindset, I'd probably type out this formal post about my experience with the series, but... Heh, I don't feel like doing it. Or I'm speechless. The latter sounds good, so let's go with that. I'll just write as things come to my mind.

Um. My first FF was FF1 on the NES. I know I talk about my gaming experiences with my cousins a lot, but that's what really happened. There's a relatively sizable age gap between myself (and a few cousins around my age) and my older cousins that I ended up experiencing everything the older folks experienced. And that includes a rather sizable repertoire of games. Getting back to FF, when I started playing FF1, I was not enamoured with it at all. I was probably incredibly shallow back then because I only wanted to play games that appealed to me in terms of art and colours used (and the music; let's just blame Mega Man 2).

You see, when I think of FF1, I think of this:

2THGf.jpg

And when I compare it to other RPGs I played before that? I didn't like how it looked at all. I played it to the end, but I didn't feel attached to it at all. I paid more attention to Phantasy Star, Dragon Warrior, and Zelda than I did to FF.

Hilariously enough, the game that got me to finally pay attention to the series was a game I complain about all the time now. Final Fantasy IV's music, scene direction and character animations (and some of the dungeon designs), were things that I'd come to value a lot. If you go back and read some of the later entries in my playthrough in the playthrough thread, that's why I talk a lot about the scene direction, the music direction, the glitches, and the dungeons designs. That's why I got attached to FF4 in my youth. Now I can't stand the damn game because there are a lot of aspects of it that I find incredibly irksome, but at least I can credit it for allowing me to give the series a second chance.

I went on to play Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, and I vividly remember being absolutely floored by the final dungeon theme. It was a Sunday (I totally remember it being sunny and the most comfortable and fuzziest sheets were spread on my bed) and I was playing the game after Church. Got to the area with the Aero spell, and my jaw dropped in awe. I had to leave the game on for a while because I couldn't believe my ears. I loved FFMQ a lot. I still do. I think it's fun, and it's an easy game to breeze through.

I was late to the party with Final Fantasy VI because I hated it when I was younger. I liked how it looked, I felt that it was weird that I was in some kinda robot, but... I couldn't stand the music. Yeah, I know what you're thinking. I'm thinking the same thing because I love FF6's soundtrack now. I didn't play and finish the game until I was in high school and outside of a few issues, I think it's pretty good. *shrug*

Finally, I remember my cousins playing Final Fantasy VII on their PS1. My cousin was at the Corel Reactor, didn't know how to stop the train, and he broke the PS1 out of frustration. I couldn't get a copy of FF7 for myself (like, dude, games were expensive--most of the games I've played were either rentals, hand-me-downs, or borrowed), so I used to ask my dad if he could drop me off at the local Toys R Us when mom sent us grocery shopping/after baseball practice so I could play FF7 on the kiosk. That led to some interesting moments, like the time when I noticed a few people gathering behind me to watch the game (which made me so nervous that I screwed up and died--no memory card, so that meant I had to start over again). I didn't finish the game until I got the PC version the year after.

I played the fan translation of Final Fantasy V through my cousins as well. I thought the game was hilarious. Seeing the characters animate so freely (laughing, making the O_O face), and being able to switch your party members' classes at will was a blast. It was way better than the classes I got to pick in FF1, and the game was so pretty. I felt engaged with it.

I have stories about the other FF games, but these are probably my most vivid memories of the earlier US-released ones.

So... Happy Anniversary, Final Fantasy. Thanks for the memories, and I'm a little glad I grew up with it. I hope that I can have more favourable memories with the series as time goes on.

MrT-Tar

Happy Birthday FF! Personally, I'm hoping for an FFIII-IV styled remake of FFV for the 3DS and also an FFTA3 as well.

I still remember my days playing my first Final Fantasy game which was 7 on the original playstation, it was unlike anything I played back then and I've been in love with the series ever since. It had story, gameplay, music, art and almost everything you'd want from any series, and to this day it's my favorite franchise and 9 being my favorite game in the series.

I highly doubt the series will reclaim its past glories seeing how incompetent SE are in many good FF games anymore.

Kikujiro

Like many other Europeans, my first FF was VII. I had a SNES and was waiting for the N64, but Nintendo kept delaying the system and gaming magazines starterd talking about this RPG that looked like something incredible. Previews after previews all my attention shifted to that game, I already knew about the series, but never had the chance to play it since it was never officially released here, I remember drooling over FFVI screeshots and now with FFVII I could finally experience myself what the series was about.
So november '97 came and I bought a PS1 with the game and my little mind was blown away. It was so pretty, it was so big, the story was so engaging, the music sounded amazing. I spent my Christmas holyday playing FFVII and it was the best Christmas ever. Only another game blew me away in the same way: Shenmue.

Happy Anniversary to my favourite series!

Now S-E work hard to make a FFXV that can live up to the series legacy.

This puzzles me, even for the 20th anniversary we got an original game of very high quality- Crisis Core. What do they have for the 25th anniversary? You would think yesterday was the day to announce FFVII remake or some Dissidia kind of new FF?

This puzzles me, even for the 20th anniversary we got an original game of very high quality- Crisis Core. What do they have for the 25th anniversary? You would think yesterday was the day to announce FFVII remake or some Dissidia kind of new FF?

The 25th anniversary game was Theatrhythm, way back in February.

Since we are discussing our first FF games - they were the reason I got into console gaming.

I was a PC player, still am. In ~1997 a PC magazine I was reading published a review of something called "Final Fantasy VII". The game got 10/10 with the reviewer praising the game as "nothing you have ever played on a PC". I didn't even know the game was made in Japan, and it wouldn't make a difference, I would just assume people made same games there.

So I went and bought it. Still have the original CDs and box even though the movie on CD4 crashes and I cannot move past that point in game.

It was a revelation, I never played game like that.

Then came FFVIII. I still remember on the day my father drove through the whole town to get it I got food poisoning and ended up puking in the bathtub.

Then came FFIX, no PC version. I got PS2 for OBSCENE amount of money simply because I knew it can play PSX games as well and it was a never console.

That's how it started. Then came GC, Xbox, PS3, X360, DS, now Vita. All because of Final Fantasy VII.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Might as well list my ranking of the FF OSTs:

OST:
Top tier: FFIV, FFVI, FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX, FFX
Great tier: FFIII, FFV, FFX-2, FFXII, FFXIII, FFXIII-2
Mid tier: FFI, FFII

Here's my contribution: a Vita wallpaper pack of all the FF logos (not including X-2, XIII-2, and the spinoffs). I made these 2-3 months ago.

Full Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?bmsgb6kj468i5sm

Top Bottom