• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy 25th Anniversary, Final Fantasy!

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
[SNS] Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest
[PSP] Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
[NDS] Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light
[GBA] Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

da best

Can't wait until Square decides NOT to be jerks and give us FF6: Special Edition.

I'm holding off on buying either 3DS or Vita because of it. I'll buy the first system that comes out with that damned game.

Happy B'day to one of my favorite gaming series... I think only Metal Gear / Solid can equal or better it in terms of the hundreds of hours of play and replay I've had from these games... From sitting on the couch with my buds drinking beer and figuring out the map to navigate another dungeon in Final Fantasy on the NES up to XII on the PS2, I've played and loved them all... Having all the early ones on my PSP Go is a dream come true!

Also, can FF VII, VIII and IX be played on PS Vita with the PSN versions?
Yes.

Diablos54

First FF game I played was Mystic Quest when I was a kid, played that to death until VII came out. But I couldn't afford it so I had to borrow it off someone later on, when VIII came out. I got VIII for xmas day and got lost looking for the fire cave for like 2 hours. From then on it was first day buy, finish as quickly as I could ever major release. VI, V, IV, I and II all on PSX, then X, X-2, XII and so on... Although I haven't got XIII-2 yet. Or any of the online ones.

Pachimari

Am I the only one who have never been able to complete a Final Fantasy game?

I think I only had 1 boss left in Crisis Core but I never came back to it. Magnificent game though.

Kokonoe

Banned
FF1, FF7, and FFXI, woo. Also, Crystal Chronicles series.

I suppose for today I'll use this avatar to celebrate as I like FF1 for NES quite a bit.

I have my favorites, but I like them all. Even the worst FF game is going to be a lot of fun. And the fact that there's so much debate between rankings really says something positive about the series overall.

About XI: I really have some nostalgia for it lately. It's too bad there's not real way to go back and replay it. I hope someday they use all of its assets and make a "FFXI Offline"!

Ashodin

Stumpokapow said:
buying a PS1 with FF7 and playing for hours and not having a memory card to save on

You and me both man. Good times. Left the PSX on all night!

I wish I was a kid again too.

Vossler

Have been debating recently to continue my FFXII IZJS save on my pc.....my favorite FF by far. Crimson Shroud is the reason I am debating this....

DON'T.

Just don't.

I really don't want this thread to devolve into an all out FF war.

We have enough of those.

lc0ME.gif

Aeana

My history with this series is long and full of great memories. I'm really grateful to have been able to experience it all.

My first FF experience was FF3 (Famicom). I remember the day I got it, our TV broke so I went to my uncle's house to play it, and my aunt helped me with some of the words that I didn't understand. I had already played DQ3 at that point, and the thing that blew my mind about FF3 right off the bat was being able to change jobs on the fly. I thought that was so cool. I have a lot of great memories of FF3 alone, especially the very first time I flew off the edge of the world and found myself in a gigantic ocean with this song playing. I'll never forget it, and it gives me goosebumps even now. Desh's sacrifice also affected me greatly at the time - it was the first time I'd ever seen anything like that in a video game.

It makes me so sad to think that people in the west never got to experience the original incarnation of FF3. The DS version just isn't the same.

My history with this series is long and full of great memories. I'm really grateful to have been able to experience it all.

My first FF experience was FF3 (Famicom). I remember the day I got it, our TV broke so I went to my uncle's house to play it, and my aunt helped me with some of the words that I didn't understand. I had already played DQ3 at that point, and the thing that blew my mind about FF3 right off the bat was being able to change jobs on the fly. I thought that was so cool. I have a lot of great memories of FF3 alone, especially the very first time I flew off the edge of the world and found myself in a gigantic ocean with this song playing. I'll never forget it, and it gives me goosebumps even now. Desh's sacrifice also affected me greatly at the time - it was the first time I'd ever seen anything like that in a video game.

It makes me so sad to think that people in the west never got to experience the original incarnation of FF3. The DS version just isn't the same.

FF III was such a neat game to discover around the time I played FF IX (2000ish). I paid like $120 to buy it directly from someone in Japan. Playing through it, I felt like I had discovered the "missing link" of Final Fantasy. There were so many staples of the series that had been started in III. It has one of the greatest final dungeons in the entire series imo. I sure liked it more than II, which I got at the same time.

And yeah, the DS version isn't as good as the Famicom one. Having a maximum of 3 enemies per enemy party was kind of lame. But playing it on the Vita now I am noticing a lot of visual improvements which impress me more than when I played on DS. Being able to switch between Famicom and DS soundtracks is quite cool as well.

Deadstar

I don't care what anyone says. Final Fantasy 2 and 3 (American) are the best RPG's of all time. Great main stories, great side quests, a ton of characters, a ton of monsters and environments. The music is some of the best game music ever created. The list goes on and on. I hope that someday a great Final Fantasy game will be made that is as good as 2 and 3 was.

Beautiful. I feel rather nostalgic listening to this, it's perfect.

When I saw/heard this live at Distant Worlds a few months ago, it drew the biggest non-FFVII cheers of the night, despite that I'd imagine most in the crowd haven't played XI either.

Epic song for an epic game.

It's weird, because even though I never played the game, the song gives me a very nostalgic feeling. The Distant Worlds section I find is especially beautiful. The lyrics are heartfelt and evocative, and I feel as I am being whisked away.

You could say that I find the song really embodies the feeling of the series as a whole rather than just FFXI.

I tear up when I listen to it.

Happy 25th anniversary, Final Fantasy! Still one of my favorite series, and I look forward to each new release with a fervor. It's mostly unrelated to the anniversary, but I've been playing a bunch of FFV and XIII (attempting to Platinum it) lately, and both are two of my favorites.

My first experience with the series was FFIII DS which, in hindsight, wasn't the best one to start with. Since then, though, I've played every game in the main series and enjoyed them all, to various degrees. XIII-2, XIII, XII, VI, and V stand among the top as my personal favorites. I don't care what anyone says, I'm of the mind that FF has only been getting better, and I can't wait for whatever the next new entry (in this case, Lightning Returns) holds. :D

...Incidentally, I have really got to play IX again. It's been a while.

Anyway, I hope there are many more anniversaries to come. There's no series quite like Final Fantasy out there, and it'd be a great shame to lose it.

Sora_N

Happy birthday FF. I hope we will get another great game someday.

In the meantime, once I finish off a few of my backlog I want to dive into FFXII (I only played 5 hrs when I bought it at launch I think) or restart FFX (stopped 75% in).

Go_Ly_Dow

Happy Birthday FF. This is the series that I grew up with.

I have faith that 2013 will be a better year for it.

Thanks OP!

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Happy Birthday Final Fantasy! I'm basically still around playing games because of these games and the ones that will keep coming in the near future. Final Fantasy is all there is for me when I'm speaking of games. Thanks to this series that made me so passionate about this hobby!

Kazerei

Banned
I first played FFIII (actually FFVI) on SNES at my friend's house. But I wasn't really interested. I preferred more action in games. It wasn't until I played Pokemon that I warmed up to the idea of turn-based battles. FFIX ended up being my first real, in-depth FF experience. I'm glad it was, since it taught me to be patient as the battle is loading :p FFIX is still my favorite. It has the atmosphere of the classic games (1 to 6) combined with the presentation of the modern games (7 and up). The gameplay, story, and characters are all great too.

Jucksalbe

Banned
My first Final Fantasy (not counting spin-offs) was FF VII aka the first real Final Fantasy Europe ever got.
I borrowed the PSX of a friend, played up to the Northern Crater in a week and when I had to give the console back, I immediately sold a huge part of my SNES collection to get my own PlayStation with the game.
From there on: Origins, Chronicles, Tactics and so on on the PlayStation. Which means I played all of the older FF games first on the PSX, which is maybe why I didn't like VI as much.

Carlisle

I had known of Final Fantasy growing up, but never got around to playing any until VII when it came out in middle school. I'd heard good things about the earlier entries, but at $60 - $70 per cartridge, it was too much to gamble on someone's word that I'd like it--especially as a 10 year old kid with no real money. Back then I only bought games based on stuff I already liked, like Ninja Turtles, and not really because they were good or fun games, even though I thoroughly enjoyed the shitty games I bought.

FFVII was what showed me what a video game could really do and gave me a newfound respect for the medium as an artistic and storytelling device. It introduced me to gaming culture, and really brought me to where I am today in both personal and professional life (for better or for worse, haha). You can even take it as far as the very distant spark that ultimately led me to meeting my wife. It really was the turning point that led me down this current path in life, and I can't begin to fathom where I'd be had I not played that game and sought out more like it.

Happy Bday FF

Obligatory:
PBF032-Todays_My_Birthday-500x166.gif

First experience with FF was when I picked up FFX the day it came out. Thought it was a good time as any to finally play a FF game (especially since I rarely played RPGs). Didn't even make it that far. Got to fighting one boss on a ship and that took way too long for me so I stopped playing. Clearly didn't have the time nor the patience back then, but whatever.

Fast forward to this summer with Theatrhythm Final Fantasy coming out to 3DS in NA. Don't play Final Fantasy + Don't play rhythm/music games = Not even worth my time. But alas, that's not what happened. As soon as I saw the visuals for the game when it was first announced, I instantly knew I had to own the game. 150 hours of playtime (!) later, it's my most played 3DS title, and is without a doubt the game I have spent the most amount of money on in my entire life. Bought all the DLC tracks and since I wanted to hear more music from the series, I bought the original soundtracks to the first 13 FF games. Every penny spent was worth it.

Already made a LTTP topic about this, but I want to repost my top songs/soundtrack list

Top 20 songs (6-20 in particular order)

Opening Theme (FFI)
Battle Theme (FFX)
A Contest of Aeons (FFX)
Omen (FFVI)
JENOVA (FFVII)
Judgement Day (FFVII)
Vana'diel March (FFXI)
Battle 2 (FFIX)
The Darkness of Eternity (FFIX)
Techno de Chocobo (FFVI)
One Winged Angel (FFVII)
Liberi Fatali (FFVIII)
Crystal Cave (FFIII)
Decisive Battle (FFV)
Giza Plains (FFXII)

Top 5
5. The Castle (FFVIII)
4. Main Theme of Final Fantasy IV (FFIV)
3. Dancing Mad (FFVI)
2. Theme of Love (FFIV)
1. Celes's Theme (FFVI)

Top 5 soundtracks
5. Final Fantasy IX
4. Final Fantasy IV
3. Final Fantasy XII
2. Final Fantasy VII
1. Final Fantasy VI

So happy birthday to Final Fantasy, and thanks for providing millions of fans with such great music.

squall211

The last main FF game where I did not pick it up on day 1 was FF VII, because I did not own a playstation yet. It's still one of the very few (if not the only) series where I will pick up a new installment on day 1.

Green Yoshi

Final Fantasy X was my first FF, I won it together with a PS2 in a sweepstakes by the first issue of the German Gamepro. Unfortunately it doesn't look that good nowadays, because of the fat PAL letters. I hope that the PS3/Vita remake of FFX will be released next year.

One of my favorite game series...soon I'll have all the mainline entries beat (Excluding the mmo ones), just need to beat the first one and the third one!

Starting to think I love 9 the most...time will tell.

kitzkozan

With the 3DS surpassing the lifetime sale of the PS3 already, I expect them to remake FF V and VI with the same engine and art style of Bravery default within the next 2 years. It will come out for the 3DS, then ios/android and Vita. :p

Only thing missing will be remakes of the PSone era FF, but who know if it will ever happen (I would love to play a FF IX that isn't slow as fuck aka take 10-13 seconds to load a battle).

Respawn

Banned
ff1.png

How the years have passed. Remember seeing this in my Nintendo Power. Wanted to play it so bad and then Ninja Gaiden came out.

Melchiah

FF used to be one of my favorite series, sadly it's went down in quality since its glory days. I still reminiscence VIII, X and VII fondly.

Mr.Fresh

This is one of my Favorite series ever. The first one I played was Final Fantasy 7 when i was 5. ( I knew how to read when i was 5.) The farthest i got was leaving Midgar and didn't know where to go I traveled the world map for about 2 years until I actually progressed but i still kept playing. everyday haha. After i eventually beat it i borrowed VIII from my older cousin and beat it in a couple of months and When PS2 came out my mom brought home the PS2 Final Fantasy IX and Dark Cloud. (She was amazing at randomly picking up good game haha.) I eventually ended up playing every game in the series except XI which im kinda interested in playing. Every year I hope one day that this series returns to be great one day.

Top Bottom