• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy 30th anniversary GRADIUS!

gradius.jpg

Released on japanese Arcades in May 29, 1985.

Not only one of my favorite shooters of all time, also all the franchise has the best music ever in the eighties, EVER.

It is a shame Gradius II was never released in the US, is by far my favorite in the franchise.

Rest in peace Konami.

gradius.jpg

Released on japanese Arcades in May 29, 1985.

Not only one of my favorite shooters of all time, also all the franchise has the best music ever in the eighties, EVER.

It is a shame Gradius II was never released in the US, is by far my favorite in the franchise.

Rest in peace Konami.

Thankfully the PC Engine version can be purchased on the Wii Shop Channel. It's an awesome game. I wish Konami would have released a VC version of the Famicom game as well in North America.

Also, wasn't it released on PSP in the Gradius compilation?

Zophar

Gradius II is also in the Gradius Collection for PSP, which IMO is a must have for any fan of the series.

Danneee

Best music inte 80s, example music from the 90s.

The NES game was awesome. Never made it past those easter island statue things though.

EmSeta

Love Gradius. And Salamander.

I wonder if the collection is available on the EU PS store.. I don't think the Salamander collection was ever released outside Japan though, was it?

Soltype

Best music inte 80s, example music from the 90s.

The NES game was awesome. Never made it past those easter island statue things though.

I can't believe higashino was only 17 when she composed the first game, so much talent at such a young age.

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
So what do you say; Gradius V a good starting point for someone relatively new to the franchise?

I have fond memories of trying to beat gradius and lifeforce at my neighbor's house in summertime. Tough games for me but the simultaneous 2 player action just couldn't be beat back then.

Up up down down left right left right B A select start, GO!

My fave SHMUP series since I started gaming and they even did a super awesome with Vic Viper becoming a badass mecha in Zone of the Enders 2.

Zone_of_the_Enders_Vic_Viper.jpg

Plus that iconic boss rush theme.

Sweet dreams, glorious prince. ;__;

It's no Parodius, I'll tell you that much.

Right on, brother.

Parodius > Gradius.
Though I love both. My first shmup ever was Gradius III which I played on zSNES back in the day. It's also the first game I bought once I got my hands on a NTSC-SNES.

I'm really sad that Konami is so stuck up with their mobile gaming policy so that we will probably never see another Gradius (or Parodius) game again.

Also I still have to play Gradius Rebirth.

Zalman

I'm into classic video games, but I've actually never played this series. What's a good starting point? What games are considered the best?

-Gozer-

The Gradius series and its spin offs (excluding otomedius) is top tier STG games for me.

I played some Gradius Rebirth to celebrate the anniversary today.

Shame Konami won't do a damn thing to acknowledge the anniversary.

Every E3 deep down in my heart I hope to see a surprise announcement for Gradius VI. Seeing a current gen Gradius with Treasure and G.rev at the helm again would be best game announcement EVER for me. I know that sort of announcement has basically been wishful thinking for many many years now. Now with Konami in the state it's currently in really kills me inside.

At least there are a plenty of great entries in the Gradius series to go back to.

kogasu

Awesome! Love this series! I'll be sure to play through the opening levels of all the ones I own since that's about as far as I can get in any of them.
Without cheating of course heh.

-Gozer-

I'm into classic video games, but I've actually never played this series. What's a good starting point? What games are considered the best?

If you have the ability to play import PS1 games then go for Gradius Gaiden. I'd say it's at the top of my best Gradius list followed closely by Gradius V.

Saroyan

Happy birthday Gradius!

I actually just bought a copy of Gradius II for PC Engine CD last month, I haven't played it that much yet, but from what I have seen its pretty sweet

Adam Blue

Love these game! Gradius Galaxies coming out on GBA was like a dream come true. Then Treasure with V, then ReBirth. The series was treated well. But now what, you know?

alienator

actually , Msx Gradius 2, with superior versions on the psp salamander collection , and the homebrew port on X6800 (Nemesis KAI) are the most legit gradius games out of there.. followed by Gradius V , Gradius, Gradius Galaxies, Gradius gameboy , the gradius level in zoe , ----> gradius II . if that makes any sense .

Loved the ability to fly into the core and have a secret level for weapon upgrades..

best gradius ever.

Top Bottom