• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy Australia Day NeoGAF.

JordanN

Banned
We have 4th of July and Canada Day threads, I think it's about time we honor our fellow Gaffers who live down under.

AggravatingRemoteAlbino-size_restricted.gif

So uh yeah, share anything you know about Australia (or want to know about them).

For example, did you know Google Maps was invented in Australia? Along with Wifi. That's two technologies I'm grateful for and use pretty much everyday.

Wifi
Now one of the most used technologies on earth, wi-fi is one of those things we can’t live without and, yes, it was created in Australia – by accident.

The man credited with the invention is CSIRO astrophysicist John O’Sullivan who was actually working on an experiment with atoms and black holes.

The experiment was a failure but they did work out how to manipulate radio waves before seeing how well it could be used to transmit and receive data wirelessly.

This formed the basic framework for the wi-fi we use to this day.

Google Maps

Two Danish-born brothers – Lars and Jens Rasmussen – living in Australia came up with a mapping technology in 2003 to allow users to find directions and see what’s located near them.

Their company Where 2 Technologies initially wanted to create an app and went out and pitched their idea to investors.

One of the companies they pitched to was Google and the idea evolved to a web-based application.

Google bought Where 2 Technologies in 2004 and Google Maps was born.

Last edited:
My mom and uncle are heading down there next month. Who can I hire to protect them from spider showers and infernos in your Mad Maxian wasteland?

Top Bottom