• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy Birthday, Nintendo 3DS! Has it been a year already?

I ignored the system until last December but I've been a full convert since. Nintendo did what they had to do to ensure the platform's success, and they deserve credit for it. I wish Sony would show signs of having a similar plan, but the future lineup for the Vita looks practically barren.

As for this year, the lineup is insane. Kingdom Hearts, Fire Emblem, Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion 2, Kid Icarus, all games I need in my veins.

Plus then there are things like Monster Hunter 4, Pokemon Gray, and that 2D Mario game which will ensure healthy sales into perpetuity.

The future has never looked brighter.

Desiato

Bought it day one in Japan. Can't believe it's been one year already. It was a pretty eventful day, because I almost met my girlfriend's mom for the first time. It was hard trying to act like the ideal son-in-lawn when all that was on my mind was vidyagamez. Got my first couple of Streetpasses already from day one.

Once its game library game library expands a bit more, the 3DS is well on its way to dethrone the DS as my favorite handheld.

Yes Boss!

Amazing system, amazing year. Just started play Revelations which is fantastic. Favorite part is all the GB/GBC/GBA games. Can't wait for Game Gear!

I didn't have much fun with it when I had it, 3D land was alright but didn't feel like anything special, the system wasn't very comfortable to hold and the tiny viewing angle for the 3D really sucked, the slightest movement would throw it off and hurt your eyes, I just played with it off most of the time.

I'll probably pick this up a few years later when it's really cheap, redesigned and has a better library.

GSR

It definitely had a messy start - getting it day one was really not necessary in the end - but it's definitely picking up steam now. Looking forward to everything coming in 2012 (especially Good People Die and Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney - my money is yours, Aksys/Capcom!)

Takao

Banned
I can't understand the hate it's getting in the Vita thread. I can't say that haven't enjoyed the 8 months I have the device so far.

Given we're in Vita launch mode, the comparison is obviously against 3DS's launch. Compared to Vita, the 3DS's launch is poor, really, really poor. This device launched at $250 without an online marketplace. This device launched with a fairly barren lineup of titles. This is a device that also had a self damaging screen, and some questionable build decisions. It deserves the flack it got, because for a while it was a platform not worth owning. That has changed now that Nintendo has actually started to put out games, but that doesn't make history go away immediately.

Zebra

When the NA birthday rolls around, I plan on starting a thread to collect people's 3DS stats, including things like most frequently played games, their respective gameplay times, total steps taken, total streetpasses, things like that. The 3DS makes it super easy to access this info.

I think it would be interesting to see how GAF has played with their 3DS for its first year.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I can't understand the hate it's getting in the Vita thread. I can't say that haven't enjoyed the 8 months I have the device so far.

Is my first Nintendo handheld (well i owned a DS for a few months before losing it to my brother for a few months), previously I owned a GG and a PSP.
The autofellatious and pretentious Vita thread titles didn't tip you off?

Rhod

Went shopping today, 11 street passes, and 2 Nintendo Letterbox/Swapnotes via spot pass whilst wandering around.

Which allowed me to combo up against the black/white shield in StreetPass Legend 2.

Which made me smile a *lot*.

Hate the region locking, but I have grown to *really* like this system aside from that.

And now there is Fire Emblem!

Salvadora

I ignored the system until last December but I've been a full convert since. Nintendo did what they had to do to ensure the platform's success, and they deserve credit for it. I wish Sony would show signs of having a similar plan, but the future lineup for the Vita looks practically barren.

As for this year, the lineup is insane. Kingdom Hearts, Fire Emblem, Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion 2, Kid Icarus, all games I need in my veins.

Plus then there are things like Monster Hunter 4, Pokemon Gray, and that 2D Mario game which will ensure healthy sales into perpetuity.

The future has never looked brighter.

I was the same. Completely ignored it when it launched and picked it up at Christmas, It really does feel like Nintendo is firing on all cylinders.

Codeblue

The beginning was sort of lame, but I can't put the thing down now. The eshop in particular has been great way to fill in the retail gaps.

Yuterald

I love my 3DS too. I bought it at launch with Steel Diver, Pilotwings Resort, and Rayman 3D. I played the SHIT out of them until I completed all three 100%. Fuck the Steel Divers haters too, I spent 54 hours on that game until I fully completed it. It's still my most memorable 3DS experience. The eShop titles have been amazing too. Might Switch Force, Mutant Mudds, Sakura Samurai, Pushmo, and Rolling Western are all worth playing and a lot of fun.

I currently own 15 3DS with only three that I've yet to beat. There is a lot to look forward to as well. All the first party Nintendo stuff looks nice (Kid Icarus, Paper Mario, and Luigi's Mansion 2) and there are a handful of 3rd party titles coming out that look great as well as a few I've been unable to pick up.

Sure, the system feels a bit antiquated in some respects (when compared to the Vita, for example) but in the end it's all about the games and the system definitely has a competent library and it will only get better.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The autofellatious and pretentious Vita thread titles didn't tip you off?

Okay, it would only be autofellatious if the Vita posted the thread itself. Now, I know it only does everything, everywhere, but that's not possible yet.

This thread is about 3ds. If anyone would like the moderators to review posts, please PM us. Otherwise, knock it off.

Kokonoe

Banned
I've enjoyed my 3DS so far, i'd like more eshop and virtual console games though.

Should've waiting for the pink model :(

19-Pink-3DS.jpg

I'd rather they release this one.

9Vlg9.jpg

Sadist

Bought mine a few weeks before the pricedrop. And not a single fuck was given that day.

It's my first handheld since the GB Pocket (I'm not counting the GB Player) and it's one of the best investments I made in 2011. I have a ton of DS games to play so since June I've played about 26 games on the device. (18 DS, 8 3DS) Here's to many more 3DS.

Can't wait for MGS 3, Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion 2, Kid Icarus and more.

botty

Banned
Happy Birthday 3DS. You might have been born prematurely, but at least you weren't DoA. Oh... and you have game.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
What a year. It was definitely a roller coaster. With the support the 3DS is getting now, I'm sure it will end up as a must-own system.

angelfly

My 3DS is my main system these days. New games coming every month and constant announcements of new titles that I want. Definitely a slow start when it launched but Nintendo definitely picked it up.

I just hope E3 gives us more on Paper Mario.
Or maybe a demo!

Speaking of which, they need to release the E3 demos on the eShop this year.

Azure J

I am trying oh so hard to wait it out for a revision, but this year's upcoming games alone are testing me in a way I didn't think possible. It also doesn't help that I've been playing a ton of 3D Land with my brother's 3DS wondering why I'm still not going all in yet.

Also, pre 3DS-GAF represent. :lol

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I was very lukewarm toward the device during its first few months (and I got a DS at launch). I could see the potential in autostereoscopic 3D and nintendo's name behind the device, but the available software lineup and the lolwut pricepoint kept me firmly at bay. Things changed dramatically overnight - the pricedrop and the new games that actually met the potential of S3D turned 3DS into the rightful successor of DS to me - i.e. my goto source of entertainment, before any other piece of gadgetry in the house (and boy, do a have a few). Actually, these past days I was thinking how darn close the 3DS stands to my idea of the ideal gaming handheld - it's a trivial piece of hw and yet it somehow manages to keep my interest on a bunch of levels - via solid games, via ingenious presentation (even though I'm not a 'S3D or bust!' type of 3DS owner), via its excellent DD library which has been nothing but a treat to me.

So, happy birthday, little fella.

I own twenty five retail games and a few more from the eShop. Great system, with a great library of games.

It's lineup is incredibly well rounded for something that's been out a little less than a year.

Boney

Banned
I am trying oh so hard to wait it out for a revision, but this year's upcoming games alone are testing me in a way I didn't think possible. It also doesn't help that I've been playing a ton of 3D Land with my brother's 3DS wondering why I'm still not going all in yet.

Also, pre 3DS-GAF represent. :lol

the faq thread is posted in the op

:lol

liger05

Tales of the abyss needs to get more love. Amazing game.

I'm 11 hours in. Love it!!

I love my 3ds. It's my go to console right now. 2012 looks real good for software. It shocked me how Nintendo managed to mess up at launch but they recovered brilliantly and it's a lesson learnt.

Loving the 3DS. Loving it even more with the extra battery life and gripability of the Nyko PowerPak+. Best $10 accessory I've ever bought.

Can't wait for the second year, we're going to get to play some amazing games!!

Is that thing safe to use with the 3DS? If so, maybe I should pick up two of them for long trips.

I'm also checking out the Power Grip charger. I'm reading that it adds 3x the battery life and you don't have to replace the battery since it's just a add-on.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
My thoughts...

+ Street Pass and Swap note are both fun
+ The games are finally showing up!
+ Super strong sales ensure that this thing's going to be supported very well
+ CPP game me the dual sticks I'd hoped for
+ Nintendo looking to bring back older third party franchises

- It took a good 9 months to get some solid games.
- The 3D isn't great. Seems most people would rather turn it off.
- It took what, 11 months to get some damn demos?!
- Friend's list was useless for longer than it should've been
- Zero thought went into ergonomics when they designed this thing

Zebra

Not seeing this or Luigi's Mansion 2 at Nintendo direct makes me think its going to be winter/2013.

Ugh, don't remind me. :[ LM was originally planned for Q1 and I was totally pumped for it.

Can't wait.

Edit: And I've realized that I feel completely self conscious any time I mention Luigi...

muu

I don't get 'in' to games very often, Ghost Recon was one of those games though and for a good couple weeks I threw in 3-4hr sessions per day beating the shit out of the Scorpion Army or whatever those GI Joes were fighting. I'm a little saddened that a sequel is not likely for the game, but that game alone has made the 3ds a worthwhile investment.

I'm not surprised but it has been disappointing that aside from that initial hit western devs have largely ignored this system. It'd be great to see proper titles come out of western devs that don't rely on the graphic prowess of HD consoles to cover up yet another tomb raider / counterstrike clone.

Top Bottom