• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy Birthday, Nintendo 3DS! Has it been a year already?

nordique

I really enjoy my 3DS. Its shaping up to be the "PS2" of handhelds on a software level. Very pleased with backwards compatibility although it turns some people off due to the haziness but I don't mind resetting the resolution.

Also, the system just has a string of quality titles. I've played through many games having traded many in as well, but I wanted to say that overall the system is stellar from a software standpoint.

I'm a busy guy so handhelds are my main form of gaming entertainment now, and the 3DS delivers exactly what I'm looking for.

The hardware is good too. I like the Circle Pad a lot. I have a CPP, which is comfortable and works very well with Resident Evil & MGS3. I personally like the circle pads more than the "sticks" on the Vita (which I also own and enjoy).

My criticisms of the 3DS are: Battery Life, hand cramping, lack of a second circle pad, and more so than anything else I wish the 3DS screen was a higher resolution.

Thankfully, we know the hardware is actually capable of outputting at a higher res (those Revelations screens people called bullshots were in fact not bullshots but taken right from the 3DS development kit) so it should be interesting to see if Nintendo does any of that. Some stronger cameras would be ace too.

Aesthetically, I'm please with how the 3DS looks and I think its the nicest looking nintendo handheld to date.

Stellar Job Nintendo; looking towards the game releases this year and more importantly what surprises are in store from third parties.

jdforge

Banned
I'm desperately wanting to play RE:R along with Mario Kart and 3D Land, but I'm determined to hold out until they launch a revised unit.

I've come close to purchasing on many occasions, but feel waiting is the right strategy for me.

massoluk

Banned
oyWN3.jpg

nWLga.jpg

Uh well, damn. I didn't expect I played so much Samurai Warriors. The drought period must have been worse than I remembered.

My 3DS has very quickly gone from being barely used, to becoming my most used platform for gaming.

Between DS BC, the Virtual Console, 3DSWare and all the excellent third party titles coming out for it, I'm at a loss deciding what to play next. There's just so many good things already out, and on the way.

It was a rough start, but happy birthday old boy.

Veal

Heroes of Ruin: looks like crap with a bad framerate compared to Dungeon Hunter for Vita.

I would like to say, while we don't know how good or bad Heroes of Ruin is just yet, Dungeon Hunter is shit right now. It's a barely upgraded phone game that could easily be done on the 3DS and is a bad example of what the Vita has over the 3DS. The Vita is an awesome system, but don't let the hype fool you into buying crappy games.

Wizpig

Happy Birthday, 3DS!

I know it's not your fault that they killed some western releases of DS games... fuck you Capcom, and give us AAI 2.
and legends 3

So, i liked the first two weeks or so of the 3DS, but after 1-2 months i wasn't happy at all: the eShop was late and some upcoming "home console like" games were displeasing to say the least.
On the other hand i still played my DS Lite.
Buying it day-one was still a good decision, i thought, but the console was not that hot.

Fast forward some months and... November.
Shit happened, and it's now the videogame console i play the most.

My list, excluding free GBA games and stuff like that, is something like this:

Pilotwings Resort (day-one): not as good as the 64 one, but manly tears for having a new Pilotwings game.

Dead or Alive Dimensions: my fault; shitty netcode, shitty character balance, a fighting game to be played on a home console with an arcade stick.

Steel Diver: a good eShop game. wait, it's not on eShop? jesus christ, Nintendo.

Star Fox 64 3D: THIS IS SO GOOD; while i know it's an enhanced porting / remake... you gotta support Star Fox.
We need a new game.

Mario Kart 7: fuck Maka Wuhu; other than that, actually balanced and as fun as ever

Super Mario 3D Land: we don't need 2d Mario games when we have games like Galaxy and this. EAD Tokyo, have my babies; basically the best 3DS game and a brilliant use of stereoscopic 3d.

Pushmo/Pullblox: I still haven't completed it, but if you love puzzle games this is so good, and an awesome use of stereoscopic 3d.

Sonic Generations: Just play the HD version or buy yourself Sonic Rush 1/2/Colours DS instead.

Resident Evil Revelations: an home console experience; while i don't like games like this, i really had to forget it for one time, because this game is damn good and a reason to buy a 3DS.

The Rolling Western: A twist on tower defense games, a new Nintendo IP, what's not to love?

VC games: Mega Man 1 and Metroid 2
I <3 the Gameboy VC

3D classics: the free ones D:

I still have to start: Tales of the Abyss
My most played game is Mario Kart 7, around 95 hours.

Postman

Banned
I am actually surprised at how little trolling there has been from Vita fanboys in this thread.

Anyway I love the 3ds. I love the 3d aspect of the 3ds. It still is light on games but I am surprised at the quality of eshop games this year.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Yes, I bought it day 1. The price drop was a bit of a slap in the face. The Ambassador titles are nice, but definitely don't make up for the $80.

Really, I shouldn't have bought it day 1. Ended up buying Pilotwings, which was terrible, Street Fighter, which runs at 30fps in 3D, and Nintendogs (I have no idea why...). I got Ghost Recon as well, which seems like a solid title, but I'm completely uninterested by it. Starfox was...short. I don't know what else I expected, since I've played Starfox before.

I can't complain too much about Nintendo's support year 1. Their support has been solid. Third party support has simply been unremarkable. I feel like there have been no real gems or surprises for the system over the year. No Laytons or Ace Attorneys or Elite Beat Agents.

Other than that, I'd say it's not just the games, but the system itself. Glassless 3D is a mixed bag for me. 3D is nice sometimes, but the viewing angles suck and often times I just switch back to 2D for convenience. The online 3DS shop is a mess. The system is lacking a second analog nub and is getting a nasty patch job to rectify that. DS games just don't look good at all on the system.

It hasn't been terrible, but it certainly did not live up to my expectations.

I think I'd have similar feelings if I didn't get my system when I did. I got the Zelda Bundle the day after Xmas, and so I had a ton of titles on the market to get through. Plus the big 3ds software update was out, and the eShop was just getting good. Add in we got the RE demo like 2 weeks later that helped increase the hype. Plus swap note turned out really cool.

If I had got one in May for $250 instead of $200 for the Zelda bundle I can almost guarantee I'd have an opposite opinion compared to my current one!

Mario Land is so good, I'm glad I was able to get a 3DS for 99.99 Canadian thanks to tsilon.ca :p

Have no idea what game I'll get next

Izayoi

Banned
I still can't believe it's already been a fucking year? What the shit? When did that happen?

I love this thing to death. So many games... I do wish the fucking thing was so uncomfortable to hold, though. It's tiny. We need a 3DS XXL or something.

i finally got a chance to play with one at length last night...by "at length" i mean i beat super mario 3d land in 2 sessions. i agree its crampy, but pretty sure I'm getting one now. are there many jrpgs made for it yet?

SmithnCo

I still can't believe it's already been a fucking year? What the shit? When did that happen?

I love this thing to death. So many games... I do wish the fucking thing was so uncomfortable to hold, though. It's tiny. We need a 3DS XXL or something.

You could try strapping the frankenstick to it.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Swapnote and Super Mario 3D Land made the system for me. Pushmo was like a little treat on top. Good times all around. Also Ocarina of Time was wonderful. I had only watched my big brother play it before that, I know I'm so sorry.

abasm

Hori-Steering-Wheel-for-Nintendo-3DS.jpg

Best accessory I've ever purchased, hands down. It provides just the right amount of room between your palms and the buttons, and expands the size of the shoulder buttons to boot. It actually makes the 3DS viable for marathon gameplay sessions.

I really, really hope Hori makes a Vita grip as well. I only really play handhelds, but hand-cramps keep me from playing for long periods of time.

Still haven't jumped into it as much as I thought. I picked mine up about a month before Nintendo announced the ambassador program and didn't play much. Fell in love with experiencing my old GBA games that I hadn't played in years and was enjoying OoT again but both Mario Kart 7 and 3D Land fell flat for me. I'm not sure if it's my hands cramping up or what was going on in my life at the time but it still hasn't really "clicked" for me.

Oh, and I've ended up never using the 3D. It does work for me but I get dizzy or get minor eye strain. I find playing in 2D far more comfortable but I keep trying the 3D out.

KevinCow

Banned
I've reached this weird point where I barely notice the 3D when it's on, but I totally notice its absence when I turn it off just to see what it looks like without it on, or if it gets slid to off in my pocket.

Anteo

I've reached this weird point where I barely notice the 3D when it's on, but I totally notice its absence when I turn it off just to see what it looks like without it on, or if it gets slid to off in my pocket.

Yeah, me too. I was quite surprised when I noticed that now I take the 3D for granted.

Who else here had the strage 3ds side effect that made all other displays look like 3d. Seeing text foating around my PC monitor was really strange. And Gaf in 3D!!

Shiggie

Yeah, me too. I was quite surprised when I noticed that now I take the 3D for granted.

Who else here had the strage 3ds side effect that made all other displays look like 3d. Seeing text foating around my PC monitor was really strange. And Gaf in 3D!!

Yep, this happened to me recently. I always double check myself.

Loxley

I'm desperately wanting to play RE:R along with Mario Kart and 3D Land, but I'm determined to hold out until they launch a revised unit.

I've come close to purchasing on many occasions, but feel waiting is the right strategy for me.

Exactly the case for me as well.

I've come around on the 3DS now that some a genuinely good games have been released for it, but I'm still going to hold out for the inevitable 2nd Gen model (which will likely be slimmer and *may* have the second analog built in - which would be a nice bonus). Whenever the "slim" version will be released is completely up in the air at this point given that the 3DS in its current form picked up more steam because of the increase in quality titles, but hey, I'm willing to wait.

BoatAck

Hori-Steering-Wheel-for-Nintendo-3DS.jpg

Best accessory I've ever purchased, hands down. It provides just the right amount of room between your palms and the buttons, and expands the size of the shoulder buttons to boot. It actually makes the 3DS viable for marathon gameplay sessions.

I really, really hope Hori makes a Vita grip as well. I only really play handhelds, but hand-cramps keep me from playing for long periods of time.

I agree with all of this. This is indeed one of the best accessories ever made.

Anteo

Exactly the case for me as well.

I've come around on the 3DS now that some a genuinely good games have been released for it, but I'm still going to hold out for the inevitable 2nd Gen model (which will likely be slimmer and *may* have the second analog built in - which would be a nice bonus). Whenever the "slim" version will be released is completely up in the air at this point given that the 3DS in its current form picked up more steam because of the increase in quality titles, but hey, I'm willing to wait.

I really don't understand how they can make it slimmer. The 3ds is hard to grab as it is now. Some people need some kind of grip to play it. Now, an XL version, that'd be nice.

Top Bottom