• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy Birthday, Nintendo 3DS! Has it been a year already?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Not a bad little system. It had a very slow start for me and without the allure of the 3D effect I would never have purchased it at launch. Still, some of the later games turned out pretty awesome.

Boney

Banned
So we're getting Paper Mario and Mario Tennis? This year?

tumblr_lpcwycF8p51qb2lo3.gif

mario tennis is even out on may

I have been researching and I think I may get a 3DS tomorrow. I decided I'd get 1 RPG and 1 action-oriented game but I am still unable to decide.

I have been researching and I think I may get a 3DS tomorrow. I decided I'd get 1 RPG and 1 action-oriented game but I am still unable to decide.

Tales of the Abyss and...

Well, take your pick for the action. I don't even know how specific you want that. Mario? Resident Evil? Ocarina of Time?

Magnus

Man, strangely enough, I...think this is the system of all systems ever that I've bought the most games for in one year. (at 5, +1 if I include Pokemon White), and none of them were Mario Kart, Zelda or SSF4!

Great first year for this thing, software-wise.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Happy Birthday 3DS!!!

As a relatively new owner (I got the Zelda Bundle the day after Xmas) I got to say I've played my system a ton both at my house, and chill'n at my GF's place when she has to study.

Granted I don't have the ambassador games, but I also missed all of the launch window buyer growing pains. I got my system with OOT for $200, and I immediately went home and downloaded the big update + Four Swords + Swap Note. It's been pretty much fun times since then!

Speaking of which I think I might go play some Kart right now. :p

PS: WTB an online Phantasy Star game ASAP!!!

ToA is a great RPG.
As for Action game, Ace Combat or Nano Assault are both good.

Whats ToA...

Tales of the Abyss and...

Haha, thanks.

Well, take your pick for the action. I don't even know how specific you want that. Mario? Resident Evil? Ocarina of Time?

Yeah, something like Mario or Zelda. I dont think Im ready to buy a handheld Resident Evil game, at least not for my first game. When I get some extra cash to blow then maybe.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
So when can we expect Fire Emblem and Layton in the US?

They're definitely the two titles I want most. Well...Luigi's Mansion 2, but that probably won't hit until the end of the year.

Yeah, something like Mario or Zelda. I dont think Im ready to buy a handheld Resident Evil game, at least not for my first game. When I get some extra cash to blow then maybe.

3D Land or Ocarina will serve you well then. Just so you know, RE: Revelaitons is basically a full mainline title. Watch some videos and you'll see.

Keyouta

I bought it at launch, and while I was a bit hurt by the price cut, I'm still very happy with the purchase. So, yeah, really enjoying the system. Nintendo also has a steady stream of games releasing from now until June, which is nice.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Whats ToA...

Haha, thanks.

I prefer Zelda over Mario, BUT Mario is a new game. If OOT is old hat to you, and you've beaten it ton then just get Mario. I hadn't really beaten OOT since the late 90s so I had more fun with OOT. I generally prefer Zelda to Mario though.

Also I might suggest grabbing a 3DS Download Card, and grabbing a couple of downloadable games. I'd make sure you download Swap Note ASAP, and that's FREE!

StuBurns

Banned
I've gone from being giddy about the 3DS to disdainful more or less.

Nintendo's actions have been concerning every step of the way. The line up looks okay at best to me, even a year on. At the time of it's announcement I was infatuated by the idea of a 3D system, but in reality it's been a huge disappointment.

While I didn't like the DS as a system design, it still had an incredible library, the 3DS feels even less well conceived, and with a weaker library.

I'm sure I'll buy another one at some point, there are a couple of games I care about, it'll be after a redesign, but my perception of the system has sunk so low.

Whats the updated version?

Something that doesn't exist.

I've gone from being giddy about the 3DS to disdainful more or less.

Nintendo's actions have been concerning every step of the way. The line up looks okay at best to me, even a year on. At the time of it's announcement I was infatuated by the idea of a 3D system, but in reality it's been a huge disappointment.

While I didn't like the DS as a system design, it still had an incredible library, the 3DS feels even less well convinced, and with a weaker library.

I'm sure I'll buy another one at some point, there are a couple of games I care about, it'll be after a redesign, but my perception of the system has sunk so low.

Comparing the library of a 6 year old system to a one year old system...

Takao

Banned
All over my face. I'm just hoping development is going alright, they've been much quieter with regards to media and information than any of the PL or AA games in recent memory.

It's being developed by Level-5.

Level-5 takes years to do anything.

01DragonFly

I love my 3DS . since getting my gaming PC stopped playing consoles but I always turn on at least daily the 3ds before going to sleep, Nintendo does really makes it hard not to.

They only thing I don't like is that the 3ds is small for my hands , the 3ds XL cant come soon enough.

idwl

Man, strangely enough, I...think this is the system of all systems ever that I've bought the most games for in one year.

Great first year for this thing, software-wise.

Yeah same here, I already have 6 games for it and countless eshop games and I haven't even had it for a year. Still about 4 months to go for that and I have RE:R KI and who knows what else still up for grabs before then. Had the wii since launch day and only have 11 games total. 360 on the other hand I'd rent most games.

I guess I'll skip on the "updated veresion". I think I'll probably get Mario 3D Land and DragonQuet IX to start out. Resident Evil if I give in to impulse buy at the store. OOT has been so long ago that it would definitely feel new to me, but I think I'd rather play something more current as my first time out of the gate with a 3DS.

an imaginary version of 3DS with the CPP probably integrated somehow.
that said, it doesn't exist yet. nothing official. probably wait until 2013 for it.

how can you say it doesn`t exist . it could exist and it could not be.

all i know is, given Nintendo`s track record, they`re not going to keep making that original 3ds hardware for 2+ years.

i can wait 1, 2 years since there`s no game i want for it ,

come Ace attorney vs layton... that`s one.

I've also warmed up to streetpass. The Mii trading stuff is neat but always kind of an after thought. Now I'm starting to get a lot of content for games.

Lots of ghost races for Mario Kart, fights in Dead or Alive, player cards in Sonic, hell I even street passed someone with Harvest Moon and got items.

Streetpass is awesome.

I guess I'll skip on the "updated veresion". I think I'll probably get Mario 3D Land and DragonQuet IX to start out. Resident Evil if I give in to impulse buy at the store. OOT has been so long ago that it would definitely feel new to me, but I think I'd rather play something more current as my first time out of the gate with a 3DS.

I LOVE DQIX but just be warned that it's not exactly, a typical/traditional RPG with a big cast and a massive, epic story. The game is made in a way to encourage you to play with other people, and the story is much more simple and cute. The game is very, very endearing through and through though.

If you want something more standard, ToA might be a safer choice.

Both are fantastic games though.

Torraz

Damn the region locking. Once I figure out what region 3ds I need to get for fire emblem, etrian odyssey and layton vs phoenix wright I hope to be "in" though.

God, it feels like I just bought the thing... hmm, warranty's up soon then. Might send it off with bullshit repairs to make it 'new' again.

Pimpbaa

No games I care about is no games I care about, it doesn't matter if it's a week or a decade.

You are still comparing the two. I mean, you could have said it doesn't have enough games you want. But you ranted on about how it was a huge disappointment even though every other system usually has a limited lineup during it's first year (especially the DS).

Top Bottom