• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy Black History Month 2020 (A Different Focus)

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I have seen some posts in the past few months/days where certain things about black folks weren't known ... Like there's black gingers (natural without being mixed)... Or the post about what constitutes acceptable hair in the workplace... or that there's no diversity within the black communities...

I thought I'd make a thread that's positive that just shows the in-group diversity from hair, skin and eye color to natural hair texture and length to whatever else you notice in the pics. Enjoy and post up some pics ... Even of yourselves!
noe4dZJ.jpg

hfZkDIG.jpg

M9zdZ21.jpg

KKdvipe.jpg

UJlLZdQ.jpg

497xuIu.jpg

oJRDQDB.jpg

wgRXSMS.jpg

ZbDPknN.jpg

wbH6PZX.jpg

ZitZduu.jpg

CtwQE4j.jpg

sb5DUfY.jpg

8EuC1QG.jpg

uo99oK8.jpg

iq5Dlj1.jpg

ASqajNa.jpg

AwXklSS.jpg

ovAHUp2.jpg

AXCU6bE.jpg

mKRsmjG.jpg

PoqiVy4.jpg

EPQSTCU.jpg

HeED03H.jpg

EA3poX4.jpg

Bkmk3NS.jpg

2VVjUr0.jpg

rRhFZWE.jpg

Jzmfrb1.jpg

DDY2uGw.jpg

oj7xNFv.jpg

2ulN7Yp.jpg

hraLa7G.jpg

bV3TjPz.jpg

EGfG62G.jpg

LIANr8n.jpg

yLFOekB.jpg

RQLKnyg.jpg

XCuLpOV.jpg

TYpHC0b.jpg

1kBElzk.jpg

hVh63Wp.jpg

lXO43Bh.jpg

KtxOCc2.jpg

Ksvoaus.jpg

NakzeXS.jpg

v29cCLz.jpg

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Fuck black history month.

They aren't special, unique, or different and certainly dont deserve any special recognition just for being born with black skin. Want to be treated equal? Then act act like people instead of "black people".

So I guess there doesn't need to be a Jewish American heritage month either? Because that's a thing. And we have this month because of a bunch of stuff I went into in another thread. And THIS thread had a different focus... But whatever.

And black people "act" like people. What the frak do you mean by that? WTH?! And Morgan Freeman keeps being trotted out whenever this month comes up as if he's the spokesperson for all black people.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
happy black history month brah I like learning about different cultures and ppl. Black ppl and dark skinned ppl have a harder time getting vitamin D in cuz of all the melanin in their skin. It protects them from getting skin cancer in super sunny areas but in areas up North with a lot less sun they gotta make sure to supplement with vitamin D regularly.

I think it's about there being less diversity with black people, rather than no diversity. For white people, they can have naturally blond, brown, black, or red hair, with a lot of variation of those colors. Rarely, they can also have naturally white hair, like Steve Martin. For the most part, being black probably means you have black hair, but it's not as if there can't be beauty in that. And there are a lot more natural variations in skin color for black people.

Although some of your examples I would guess are very statistically rare. Aren't black people born with white skin considered albinos, just like white people born that way are? I thought that was the case, although I could be mistaken.

But again, that's not to say that less variation makes any group less attractive. There are always people who will stick out from the crowd, and beauty is somewhat subjective anyhow.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Mad love to black people.

All though why they gotta give the black man the shortest month of the year? Always gotta short change em (just joking guys).

You could post a photo of the rarest of the rare, a black person with a MAGA hat!

So I guess there doesn't need to be a Jewish American heritage month either? Because that's a thing.

And Morgan Freeman keeps being trotted out whenever this month comes up as if he's the spokesperson for all black people.

I'm not sure if you saw it, but Daryl Davis was a guest on Joe Rogan recently, and he didn't think we should have black history month for a somewhat different reason, and I think he made a good point. If you only devote one month to talking about black people in history, you don't easily remember that knowledge by covering it throughout the year, and you limit yourself to how many black historical figures can be properly discussed in that amount of time, so you keep coming back to the same five or six people year after year.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I'm not sure if you saw it, but Daryl Davis was a guest on Joe Rogan recently, and he didn't think we should have black history month for a somewhat different reason, and I think he made a good point. If you only devote one month to talking about black people in history, you don't easily remember that knowledge by covering it throughout the year, and you limit yourself to how many black historical figures can be properly discussed in that amount of time, so you keep coming back to the same five or six people year after year.

Interesting take. More and more black families are teaching their children and younger relatives about black historical figures throughout the year ... But this energy ("we shouldn't have such and such month) is never applied to the other groups with designated history months.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I feel like going through vitiligo must be a pretty surreal experience.

Right? I can't imagine how that must feel as you grow up, especially if you don't have a strong and supportive family and friends. I have a couple of friends with vitiligo. They seem very well adjusted.

fatty

Blacks have the best music

We need to get another R&B thread going up in here.

Some great songs posted in that thread.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I also find super light skinned blacks fascinating. Like both mum and dad are black but the kid is like a fucking vanilla and strawberry mix ice cream. What the fuck

I think you mean the parents are darker than their child? Yeah, it happens. Remember, the DNA doesn't start with the parents. Could be a grandparent was lighter ... But DNA is weird. Never know what kind of Gene combo you're getting.

Fuck black history month.

They aren't special, unique, or different and certainly dont deserve any special recognition just for being born with black skin. Want to be treated equal? Then act act like people instead of "black people".

Surely you aren't so daft as to completely ignore the fact that throughout much of history (and to many extents still today) "black people" were treated and made to believe that they aren't special. That they are less than special. That the basic uniqueness and differential qualities that others (*cough* white people) enjoy were somehow superior. They were made out to be people who ARE unique and different, except these differences were for horrific and belittling reasons. The "uniqueness" that their skin color imparted upon them always had negative connotations.

Instead of having an edge lord "fuck black history month" shitfit maybe sit back and ponder WHY a month completely dedicated to black history needed to occur in the first place? I assume without the "forced" awareness and education that comes from black history month many people would still be walking around with antiquated thoughts and feelings about the black race.

If anything it is sad that a month dedicated to black history has to happen in the first place, it seems to suggest that it would all be lost and forgotten if it didn't happen once a year.

Last edited:
Even though I appreciate women from all backgrounds, I do have a soft spot for a black woman's beauty. In fact, the first crush I had was on a black girl. In my personal experience, the "angry black women" stereotype doesn't correlate with the vast majority of black women, and that goes for male stereotypes as well.

Happy black history month people, man or woman (y)

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Just wanted to add this in here for BHM

The governor of California posthumously pardoned the African-American civil rights leader and pro-Israel activist Bayard Rustin on Wednesday. Rustin was convicted under anti-gay laws in 1953.

The gay trade unionist, who died in 1987 at age 75, played an important role in aiding Ethiopian and Russia Jews in emigrating to Israel.

Rustin was one of the principal architects of the Civil Rights movement and a close adviser to Dr. Martin Luther King. He marched for gay rights in New York in the 1980s, and in an essay titled “From Montgomery to Stonewall” he wrote that the treatment of the gay community had become the “barometer of where one is on human rights questions.”

Rustin said that, “Since Israel is a democratic state surrounded by essentially undemocratic states which have sworn her destruction, those interested in democracy everywhere must support Israel’s existence.”

California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) said that Rustin was convicted under a state “lewd vagrancy” law that frequently targeted gay men. Newsom’s pardon overturns Rustin’s 1953 criminal conviction. The civil rights leader was imprisoned for 50 days in Los Angeles County. The State of California registered him as a sex-offender for having sex in a parked automobile.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Just wanted to add this in here for BHM

The governor of California posthumously pardoned the African-American civil rights leader and pro-Israel activist Bayard Rustin on Wednesday. Rustin was convicted under anti-gay laws in 1953.

The gay trade unionist, who died in 1987 at age 75, played an important role in aiding Ethiopian and Russia Jews in emigrating to Israel.

Rustin was one of the principal architects of the Civil Rights movement and a close adviser to Dr. Martin Luther King. He marched for gay rights in New York in the 1980s, and in an essay titled “From Montgomery to Stonewall” he wrote that the treatment of the gay community had become the “barometer of where one is on human rights questions.”

Rustin said that, “Since Israel is a democratic state surrounded by essentially undemocratic states which have sworn her destruction, those interested in democracy everywhere must support Israel’s existence.”

California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) said that Rustin was convicted under a state “lewd vagrancy” law that frequently targeted gay men. Newsom’s pardon overturns Rustin’s 1953 criminal conviction. The civil rights leader was imprisoned for 50 days in Los Angeles County. The State of California registered him as a sex-offender for having sex in a parked automobile.

Thank you! 🤟

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I thought this was cool... "Lift Every Voice and Sing" is also called the Negro/Black National Anthem as it embodies the struggles of the past and encourages change and growth for the future. Written and arranged by poet James Weldon Johnson.

I remember listening to this song in church as I was growing up. It always made me smile... And I'm surprised FB made this video. Warmed my heart!

Riastrad

Banned
There are no "black gingers (natural without being mixed)". Those "black gingers" you posted are 50-90% white. Just being real.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
There are no "black gingers (natural without being mixed)". Those "black gingers" you posted are 50-90% white. Just being real.

Umm... No. Black people have been having ginger kids for a very long time since long before there was any interracial relationships.

You ever hear of Malcolm X? Redd Foxx?

Both gingers.

Top Bottom