• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy Chinese New Year - Nǐ Niúbi!

nush

It's the Chinese lunar New year a few hours from the time of this post. Wishing all of Asian and those with Asian family members a happy "Niú" Year. Have a good one!

Niú means cow in Chinese and it's the year of the cow, pronounced new.

I'm going to my friends for dinner, get drunk, watch the Chinese new year Gala show on TV and then see even the most basic firework safety advice get completly ignored at midnight.

nush

Watching the New Year Gala on YouTube as we do every year...my wife’s Chinese and I love this weird tradition!

I'm going to have to fight with my Smart TV Chinese menus again. It's the only TV show I watch live in the year. I want to watch in 4K, not VPN limited bandwidth Youtube unless I have too. The firmware updated this morning when I connected it back on the network so hopefully I'll be good to go!

MrMephistoX

5 minutes into the gala show and we've already got blackface and racial stereotypes. Strap in! :messenger_tears_of_joy:
My wife was watching this show the other day set on Sanya and there was an entire theme park parade sequence with full on Chinese black face and black tights Al Joleson white lips and all.

Last edited:

nush

Had to "restart"my TV as it stopped with an error code. 90 seconds forced ads before I can watch again. Not by just turning on the TV, just to watch the show. :messenger_pouting:

MrMephistoX

Don't worry, racism is ok when china does it.
Oh trust me if you’ve missed past years Gala’s the racism is usually in the opening sequence. They usually have dancing Uighur’s but erm I guess they’re otherwise occupied at camp this year?

Kazza

Happy New Year, ChinaGAF!

I'm back in the UK this year, but I can't say I miss being in China for CNY. I always found it a pretty boring period tbh. It just seems to be a time to laze about with family, rather than any interesting public celebrations. A lot of my Chinese friends find it a bit boring too. Are people allowed to travel back to their hometown this year, or does everyone have to stay where they work/study? I remember a bloke in the UK being delighted about not having to visit his mother-in-law due to Covid restrictions, and I'm sure there are more than a few Chinese secretly happy about not having to go back to visit their relatives :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Watching the New Year Gala on YouTube as we do every year...my wife’s Chinese and I love this weird tradition!

I've had the 春晚 on in the background since this morning. It's such a strange show - a fascinating mix of treacly sentimentality, chest-thumping nationalism, cheesy skits, and, well, communism. The way the presenters speak is really uncanny-valley stuff. It's pretty interesting to watch a bit here and there though.

I'll be making some dumplings later on tonight (Japanese ones, but don't tell anyone haha)

Kazza

There's currently a military lady singing a nationalist song, and everyone in the Youtube comments is shouting "Conquer Taiwan!" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

MrMephistoX

Don't worry, racism is ok when china does it.

Happy New Year, ChinaGAF!

I'm back in the UK this year, but I can't say I miss being in China for CNY. I always found it a pretty boring period tbh. It just seems to be a time to laze about with family, rather than any interesting public celebrations. A lot of my Chinese friends find it a bit boring too. Are people allowed to travel back to their hometown this year, or does everyone have to stay where they work/study? I remember a bloke in the UK being delighted about not having to visit his mother-in-law due to Covid restrictions, and I'm sure there are more than a few Chinese secretly happy about not having to go back to visit their relatives :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I've had the 春晚 on in the background since this morning. It's such a strange show - a fascinating mix of treacly sentimentality, chest-thumping nationalism, cheesy skits, and, well, communism. The way the presenters speak is really uncanny-valley stuff. It's pretty interesting to watch a bit here and there though.

I'll be making some dumplings later on tonight (Japanese ones, but don't tell anyone haha)

There's currently a military lady singing a nationalist song, and everyone in the Youtube comments is shouting "Conquer Taiwan!" :messenger_tears_of_joy:
vhXs87k.jpg

mpfrwYR.jpg

Last edited:

nush

Are people allowed to travel back to their hometown this year, or does everyone have to stay where they work/study?

Not unless they have had weekly covid tests and the relevant certificates. It's crazy here in the south tonight with how many people are here compared to other CNY and the amount of fireworks being set off. It's a marked and noticable difference from any other year before. it seems people have brought their parents/grandparents to them rather than going to visit.

Kazza

Yeah, that's the one! Right after that there was a song about the CCP. If my translation is correct, then the main chorus went something like this "My mother gave birth to my body, but it is the party that lights up my heart.".I wonder if that song comes on every year? I guess for most Chinese, it's a nostalgic song from childhood, rather than any of them thinking that the party really is as important as their own mother. Any Western country that wants to do an anti-China propaganda hit would have a field day with this. Just keep the footage and add an ominous English language commentary.

Now it's the comedy double act - I like a bit of 相声.

Not unless they have had weekly covid tests and the relevant certificates. It's crazy here in the south tonight with how many people are here compared to other CNY and the amount of fireworks being set off. It's a marked and noticable difference from any other year before. it seems people have brought their parents/grandparents to them rather than going to visit.

Yeah, the city where I lived pretty much emptied out every CNY. I thought things were back to normal in China now (things were pretty normal when I visited Shanghai in September), but that doesn't seem to be the case. They set up a testing station at the entrance of my friend's apartment complex, not letting any delivery people in and making all residents get a test. If even one person tests positive then they'll probably seal the whole place up for 2-3 weeks, not letting anyone leave.

I hope that things in Wuhan are ok at least. Who knows what kind of crazy shit went down there last year. The people there deserve a nice new year.

Kazza

I normally find those CCTV presenters a little creepy, but this year's female presenter is actually pretty hot. What does ChinaGAF think :messenger_tears_of_joy:

mKtiy1J.png

Happy tet & lunar new year to all my buddies out there!

havent heard to expect great things out of the ox this year - is that relatively accurate?

Last edited:

DESTROYA

opps quoted wrong post...my bad

Kazza Kazza

I normally find those CCTV presenters a little creepy, but this year's female presenter is actually pretty hot. What does ChinaGAF think :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Meh. Still creepy.
Nothing special and her eyes look soulless. Probably forced into doing this by the CCP

Last edited:

nush

Morning after, the first fireworks were set off at 6AM. :messenger_weary:

It's going to be like this for at least the next week.

I/family miss Southbank > Melbourne this Chinese New Year. It was always filled with brilliant food, stalls, entertainment and atmosphere in previous years. Our kids love heading into the city at this time of year. Happy Chinese New Year!

JSoup

Banned
My best friend in the world is Chinese and, over the course of our 14+ year friendship, new years traditions have become common place for me. He's gonna drop by for big damn chicken meal this weekend.

Here's to new fortunes in the new year.

MrMephistoX

And he's still not that "out there". I don't know what happened but for some reason, it's normal to brand people as dangerous and crazy because they "might inspire others". Thinking like that is more dangerous than what they proclaim actually is dangerous.

He does have a punchable fucking face though, that little fuck.

It's Tiger year now, so my topic title is out of date.
Good point I’ll start a new one Hu Nian Kuaile!

2022 discussion here https://www.neogaf.com/threads/chin...tigger-love-cctv-and-winnie-the-pooh.1629090/

Last edited:
Top Bottom