• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy Columbus Day!

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014

Lets talk about the great things that came out of the conquering of the Americas and the end of the brutal Mesoamerican empires.

I'll start with one. The US Constitution and the form of government invented by the Founding Fathers. It is the greatest form of government the world has ever known, one that codifies basic human rights as being inalienable, and above the power of the government to rescind.

TKOFromTokyo

Jul 20, 2020
First of all, I’m thankful for being alive. That wouldn’t have happened without Columbus.

Also, how would WWII have went? Also, look at all of the scientific discoveries from the USA. The technology and prosperity of the USA has brought increased prosperity to the world more generally. Without Columbus, the world would look much different.

Arkam

Jan 21, 2012
Here, Now and maybe later
Columbus' actions impacted the world. I think modern kids need to learn how to separate "the person" from "the event". Neil Armstrong isnt great because of who he was, but because he was the first human on the moon. And that's a big fucking deal and should be celebrated. We put a person on the moon! Same for Columbus. Guy found something across the Atlantic, reported it and the world was forever changed. All of the Americas owe their recent history to his actions. Sure it wasn t peaches and cream for everyone, but look what it gave us! I mean we put a man on the damned moon! We tackled women's rights, race segregation, even harness the atom and kickstarted the computer age. So Not sure how a person living in the Americas iss against the annual recognition.

HoodWinked

Jun 30, 2010
Earth
whenever I think about Columbus day it really is one of the biggest milestones in human history. We had a time when our ancestors forked for thousands of years, the day Columbus discovered the Americas we for the first time since then met back together its really quite incredible.

Oct 26, 2018
For any anti-US morons, give credit where it's due. Had to bring up wiki, but Columbus discovered Americas around 500 years ago, and later on the US was founded about 240 years ago.

And look what happened. Biggest economy, somehow morphed into 330 million people, and got to admit it.... anytime there's war going on and some asshole wants to take over the world, guess who is relied on, expected to take a side, and steer the ship of military, costs and brave soldiers helping defend another country's soil. The US.

Half the other countries in the world sit there and do nothing, and that even includes many European countries which are often right in the thick of battle. They can choose to help. Or claim neutrality and hope the rest of the countries fight for them.

On the other hand, the US is an ocean away from all the warring hot spots in the mid east of some African civil war and they are always looked at to solve it.

As a Canuck, the US is awesome. Super friendly people there (well, aside from grumpy customs and border crossing guys), and I've been to enough US cities. Never had an issue. Never seen an issue..... although 10 years ago I was in Detroit pretty close to downtown and ya, there was neighbourhoods you drive through which are the same shit you see in COPS. So, ok some of these cities got to tidy up cruddy desolate blocks of houses.

Looks pretty easy to me. Don't be a country acting like an asshole, and the US won't man battleships near your waters and have military satellites xraying every inch of your city.

Last edited:

CeroFrio996

privileged little shit
Jun 20, 2019
For any anti-US morons, give credit where it's due. Had to bring up wiki, but Columbus stumbled upon the Americas around 500 years ago, and later on the US was founded about 240 years ago.
ftfy, and it's fallacious to assume that there's no one else who possible could've "discovered" the Americas (which he didn't, people before his time had already traveled to the Americas, some of them settling there).

And look what happened. Biggest economy, somehow morphed into 330 million people, and got to admit it.... anytime there's war going on and some asshole wants to take over the world, guess who is relied on, expected to to do, and steer the ship of military, costs and brave soldiers helping defend another country's soil. The US.
Imperialism does tend to do that, yes. The British Empire and the Roman Empire where quite involved in world affairs in their day, and they didn't have nukes! Oh, and in WWII they only wanted to help AFTER they got sick of playing both sides and pearl harbor was attacked.

Looks pretty easy to me. Don't be a country acting like an asshole, and the US won't man battleships near your waters and have military satellites xraying every inch of your city.
Also don't have too much oil.

What a terrible take on what was a monumental change in history. It doesn't matter what you think.

We are where we are today, globally, because of this event.
We exist now in this exact way because of this one man, yes. But the same thing can be said about a million other people, of whom many were assholes and murders. What's your point? History happened, doesn't mean he was a good dude, or that what he did was some feat of amazement. He defied what science knew the earth looked like, thinking it was pear shaped. They guy was a complete baffoon and if it wasn't for him some other man would've done what he did, maybe having some kind of scientific or historical evidence of the continent that Colombus was lucky enough to have run into.

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
ftfy, and it's fallacious to assume that there's no one else who possible could've "discovered" the Americas (which he didn't, people before his time had already traveled to the Americas, some of them settling there).

Imperialism does tend to do that, yes. The British Empire and the Roman Empire where quite involved in world affairs in their day, and they didn't have nukes! Oh, and in WWII they only wanted to help AFTER they got sick of playing both sides and pearl harbor was attacked.

Also don't have too much oil.

We exist now in this exact way because of this one man, yes. But the same thing can be said about a million other people, of whom many were assholes and murders. What's your point? History happened, doesn't mean he was a good dude, or that what he did was some feat of amazement. He defied what science knew the earth looked like, thinking it was pear shaped. They guy was a complete baffoon and if it wasn't for him some other man would've done what he did, maybe having some kind of scientific or historical evidence of the continent that Colombus was lucky enough to have run into.
Again, doesn't matter what you think about it at all. It is a turning point in history. I don't give a shit about Columbus the man. It's not about him, but the event itself.

Not a difficult concept to grasp if you can control your emotions. Cancel those, and get a grip on reality.

Happy Columbus day!

Oct 26, 2018
Again, doesn't matter what you think about it at all. It is a turning point in history. I don't give a shit about Columbus the man. It's not about him, but the event itself.

Not a difficult concept to grasp if you can control your emotions. Cancel those, and get a grip on reality.

Happy Columbus day!
Yup.

If it wasn't for Columbus helping change history by turning the America's into what it is 100s of year later, hey like many of you my parents are immigrants to Canada. If life didn't become what it is in modern day, I'd either not be born, or born overseas and probably ruled by HItler's descendants.

CeroFrio996

privileged little shit
Jun 20, 2019
I guess we should all celebrate Hitler Day then! He was the event in history that enabled the Israeli state to exist! I don't give a shit about Hitler the man. It's not about him, but the event itself.

People going to task for columbus are far FAR more emotionally driven than the people literally talking about the history of the man and the things, the horrible things, that he enabled.

Happy Columbus day!
Sure, I don't really care what people call the holiday. I care that people act like he was a figure so important that he is somehow beyond reproach. He's a man, not a god. His discovery wasn't so earth shattering that we can't point out what a imbecile he was.

Oh gosh, did I just invade a sovereign state while hypocritically lambasting them for taking POWs while doing so myself while forcefully teaching them to read and write MY LANGUAGE and practice my religion (under threats of violence) when they already had their own written and spoken languages and religions? Fucking modern sanitation? WTF, British colonials wouldn't have had "modern sanitation". What dumbassery is that. Do you know how many colonials died from simple infections? Lets completely ignore the fact that this lumped many MANY different peoples under the banner of those who did cannibalism and human sacrifice.

If it wasn't for Columbus helping change history by turning the America's into what it is 100s of year later, hey like many of you my parents are immigrants to Canada. If life didn't become what it is in modern day, I'd either not be born, or born overseas and probably ruled by HItler's descendants.
History doesn't work that way you dumbass. Hitler might never have existed if the Americas weren't discovered, and without Columbus the Americas STILL would have been discovered(to the Europeans).

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018
I guess we should all celebrate Hitler Day then! He was the event in history that enabled the Israeli state to exist! I don't give a shit about Hitler the man. It's not about him, but the event itself.

People going to task for columbus are far FAR more emotionally driven than the people literally talking about the history of the man and the things, the horrible things, that he enabled.

Sure, I don't really care what people call the holiday. I care that people act like he was a figure so important that he is somehow beyond reproach. He's a man, not a god. His discovery wasn't so earth shattering that we can't point out what a imbecile he was.

Oh gosh, did I just invade a sovereign state while hypocritically lambasting them for taking POWs while doing so myself while forcefully teaching them to read and write MY LANGUAGE and practice my religion (under threats of violence) when they already had their own written and spoken languages and religions? Fucking modern sanitation? WTF, British colonials wouldn't have had "modern sanitation". What dumbassery is that. Do you know how many colonials died from simple infections? Lets completely ignore the fact that this lumped many MANY different peoples under the banner of those who did cannibalism and human sacrifice.

History doesn't work that way you dumbass. Hitler might never have existed if the Americas weren't discovered, and without Columbus the Americas STILL would have been discovered(to the Europeans).
I'll accept my present timeline than whatever "what if" scenarios you got. lol

Nice and cozy here in Toronto. I don't see any US soldiers trying to storm us from the Detroit or Buffalo sides. Mortgage rates have rock bottomed to only about 2-2.5%, which means property prices are going up again. Ka-ching. That's what happens when you got people trying to move here and there's not enough new homes built.

Last edited:

CeroFrio996

privileged little shit
Jun 20, 2019
I'll accept my present timeline than whatever "what if" scenarios you got. lol
You gave your own "what if" scenarios to try to prove that the present timeline is superior. You opened yourself up to this. It's stupid when you say it, as much as it is when I say it. Reality is a billion to one odds for everything that happens... until it happens. Then the odds of that happening are one.

Nice and cozy here in Toronto. I don't see any US soldiers trying to storm us from the Detroit or Buffalo sides. Mortgage rates have rock bottomed to only about 2-2.5%, which means property prices are going up again. Ka-ching.
That's because Alaska's got most of your oil,

Ka-ching, you'll make money of properties but most people that need housing won't be able to afford it and instead will need to be subservient to rent seeking behavior. What a great timeline.

• LOL
Reactions: StreetsofBeige

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
a man got lucky as hell after he based his voyage to India on shit science. Why am I not surprised that the right is so into him?
So you think the world is flat?

Did you just call the New World a “sovereign state” back then? And you want to talk about junk science.

Today I learned the mental gymnastics that sovereign states are A-Ok, but not at the same time when we talk about yt peepoe in current year. 👌

Last edited:

CeroFrio996

privileged little shit
Jun 20, 2019
I hope you didn't take today off, that would be hypocritical.
Ok bro I'm going to work when my workplace is closed. And even if I was home of my own volition it would be working still because my daughter's daycare took the day.

So you think the world is flat?
WRONG, people did NOT think this during Columbus' time. Well I'm sure some meat heads here and there did, but it wasn't the general consensus.

Did you just call the New World a “sovereign state” back then? And you want to talk about junk science.
Various tribes within the "new (not new at all) world".

Today I learned the mental gymnastics that sovereign states are A-Ok, but not at the same time when we talk about yt peepoe in current year. 👌
If you're going to defend the sovereignty of modern states and then cheer-lead the destruction of them in history then the hypocrisy rests with you.

Didn't Vikings discover America? Oh well whateves
And possibly the Chinese (or what would become China) before them!

showernota

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2020
Ok bro I'm going to work when my workplace is closed. And even if I was home of my own volition it would be working still because my daughter's daycare took the day.
You could have volunteered at an indigenous person soup kitchen, or cleaned up litter on the highway.

We have to be the change we want to see.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
Latinx *sic* people should revere Columbus. Were it not for him and the conquistadores, their culture wouldn’t even exist.

Reactions: infinitys_7th

Cybrwzrd

Sep 29, 2014
Is that so? You seem to be very offended by this thread.

Reactions: MetalAlien
Sep 14, 2014

They were building their own Wakanda, and Columbus ruined it. Time to rename Colombia.

CeroFrio996

privileged little shit
Jun 20, 2019
Is that so? You seem to be very offended by this thread.
This thread which you created to get all teary eyed and virtue signal about how much you love the man? Totally not emotional at all.

How did vikings visiting America impact history in any significant way?
In the same way that the vikings going almost anywhere impacted history?

They were building their own Wakanda, and Columbus ruined it. Time to rename Colombia.
No one here said anything about a utopia.

Cybrwzrd

Sep 29, 2014
This thread which you created to get all teary eyed and virtue signal about how much you love the man? Totally not emotional at all.
To be honest I did it more or less to thumb my nose at people like you. I saw Trump’s tweet and got some fun out of reading the lefties cry over long dead Indians so I figured I’d throw some chum in the water.

Oct 26, 2018
Ka-ching, you'll make money of properties but most people that need housing won't be able to afford it and instead will need to be subservient to rent seeking behavior. What a great timeline.
That's the way life works. You can either live on the street, rent, or own.

I prefer to own.

And next year my investment property will be up, I'll rent out out for a bunch of years and dump it for big profits. And then do it again with another property. That's the cycle of money and profits. If other people are too broke to get a mortgage of their own, or pony up $100,000+ on down payments and then get a mortgage for the rest for a side property like me, that's their problem. Oh well.

Last edited:
Reactions: MetalAlien

SF Atlas Shrugged

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020
You know, we make a lot of Columbus, but you ever think about how people in Hawaii or Somoa got there? Like probably a thousand years before Columbus in a fucking canoe somehow. Probably needed a second canoe just for their balls.

Cycom

Mar 5, 2020
a man got lucky as hell after he based his voyage to India on shit science. Why am I not surprised that the right is so into him?
The man had balls of steel, and his discovery of the Americas for the west and its subsequent colonization was how we ended up with the United States. I’m thankful for that.

I’m not surprised privileged little shits like you would find that strange. We stand on the shoulders of giants but you’re too stupid and arrogant to realize it.

TooLateMate

Banned
May 15, 2020
and neogaf doesn't want to admit it's far-right lmao

whats the percentage of people ITT who are even arguing a counter-point to columbus day?

so many of you gravitated towards an echo chamber lol

on topic....I think there's a variety of demographics who have very different feelings or indifference regarding Columbus day

thus it doesn't inspire me to get particularly giddy about it, It's a day where shit went down...and affected things today. thats...pretty much it.

as an individual human, i'm not really understanding why you would...be very attached to the event or concept. Humans killing other humans to take over location, and build their own society, as it eventually exists today.

okay...why would I get super excited about that lol unless I were the type of person to subconsciously really enjoy/need the idea of being a part of something, in this case "being American".

Or maybe if i'm a white guy, it's secretly a indication of my perceived superiority over the "inferiors" lol which is why it is a day to covet.

Last edited:

CeroFrio996

privileged little shit
Jun 20, 2019
The man had balls of steel
The man was overly confident in a model of the earth that wasn't based on sound science. It's pretty easy to "have balls of steel" when you're an ignoramus who thinks the world is pear shaped with a nipple on top.

You know, we make a lot of Columbus, but you ever think about how people in Hawaii or Somoa got there? Like probably a thousand years before Columbus in a fucking canoe somehow. Probably needed a second canoe just for their balls.
Chinese boats were more advanced than canoes I assure you.

To be honest I did it more or less to thumb my nose at people like you. I saw Trump’s tweet and got some fun out of reading the lefties cry over long dead Indians so I figured I’d throw some chum in the water.
People who recognize history isn't about placing people on pedestals and pretending that what they did could be attributed to things that happened long after they died?

Last edited:

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
Chinese boats were more advanced than canoes I assure you.
Chinese boats? Are you just spouting random thoughts that you think should be true?

Hawaii was settled by 600 AD. It wasn't fucking "Chinese boats" that got the people there.

More stuff like this, hopping between islands in the Pacific.

Last edited:
Reactions: cormack12 and Cycom

CeroFrio996

privileged little shit
Jun 20, 2019
Chinese boats? Are you just spouting random thoughts that you think should be true?
I was thinking more of American Indians, which have east Asian ancestry.

Moreno-Mayar et al. (2018) have identified a basal Ancestral Native American (ANA) lineage. This lineage formed by admixture of early East Asian and Ancient North Eurasian lineages prior to the Last Glacial Maximum, ca. 36–25 kya. Basal ANA diverged into an "Ancient Beringian" (AB) lineage at ca. 20 kya. The non-AB lineage further diverged into "Northern Native American" (NNA) and "Southern Native American" (SNA) lineages between about 17.5 and 14.6 kya. Most pre-Columbian lineages are derived from NNA and SNA, except for the American Arctic, where there is evidence of later (after 10kya) admixture from Paleo-Siberian lineages.[4]
According to an autosomal genetic study from 2012,[26] Native Americans descend from at least three main migrant waves from East Asia. Most of it is traced back to a single ancestral population, called 'First Americans'. However, those who speak Inuit languages from the Arctic inherited almost half of their ancestry from a second East Asian migrant wave. And those who speak Na-dene, on the other hand, inherited a tenth of their ancestry from a third migrant wave. The initial settling of the Americas was followed by a rapid expansion southwards, by the coast, with little gene flow later, especially in South America. One exception to this are the Chibcha speakers, whose ancestry comes from both North and South America. [26]
More stuff like this, hopping between islands in the Pacific.
Indeed, I was wrong, but still it's more advanced than a canoe.

Last edited:

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005

In the same way that the vikings going almost anywhere impacted history?

No one here said anything about a utopia.
Your just angry that this event happened it would seem and no matter what you say, it won't change.

Very emotional.
and neogaf doesn't want to admit it's far-right lmao

whats the percentage of people ITT who are even arguing a counter-point to columbus day?

so many of you gravitated towards an echo chamber lol

on topic....I think there's a variety of demographics who have very different feelings or indifference regarding Columbus day

thus it doesn't inspire me to get particularly giddy about it, It's a day where shit went down...and affected things today. thats...pretty much it.

as an individual human, i'm not really understanding why you would...be very attached to the event or concept. Humans killing other humans to take over location, and build their own society, as it eventually exists today.

okay...why would I get super excited about that lol unless I were the type of person to subconsciously really enjoy/need the idea of being a part of something, in this case "being American".

Or maybe if i'm a white guy, it's secretly a indication of my perceived superiority over the "inferiors" lol which is why it is a day to covet.
What?

Cybrwzrd

Sep 29, 2014
People who recognize history isn't about placing people on pedestals and pretending that what they did could be attributed to things that happened long after they died?
Yes, someone else could have been the first one to “discover” the Americas in the west. They didn’t though. We remember Kings, Conquerers, and Explorers for the same reason. They won, and their achievements caused long lasting ripples in history.

Last edited:

CeroFrio996

privileged little shit
Jun 20, 2019
Your just angry that this event happened it would seem and no matter what you say, it won't change.

Very emotional.
I'm not angry that an event happened. I'm annoyed that people want to hold this man up as something he's not. To treat him like some untouchable that was the sole bringer of civilization to the savages. History happened, and yes events happened directly due to his actions. But there's a difference between noting historical impact and ignoring the negative impacts in order to deify a man who died many years before the things he's been credited for in this thread.

Reactions: whitehawk

CeroFrio996

privileged little shit
Jun 20, 2019
Yes, someone else could have been the first one to “discover” the Americas in the west. They didn’t though. We remember Kings, Conquerers, and Explorers for the same reason. They won, and caused long lasting ripples in history.
And all of those people should be open to criticism (and often are) for the heinous things they did within their lives. Columbus is among those uniquely held up on a pedestal in this country, as some untouchable god of the USA's creation mythos.

Classic woke leftist guilt that their lives are built on the graves of indigenous people. Or something.
If I rolled my eyes any harder at this stupid strawman I'd go blind.

• LOL
Reactions: whitehawk and nush