• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy Columbus Day!

CeroFrio996

privileged little shit
Jun 20, 2019
So you're one of those people who calls any east Asian person "Chinese?"
Okay, so at the time "china" literally didn't exist yet. So yeah, not "chinese" but china is a large and recognizable portion of eastern asia, so yeah that's how this info stuck in my head. So sue me.

E Enjay stay classy as fuck

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019
a man got lucky as hell after he based his voyage to India on shit science. Why am I not surprised that the right is so into him?
Could it be because ideology has taken hold of you? For sure you sound quite like every other sap that suffers that fate.

• Fire
Reactions: nush

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
Okay, so at the time "china" literally didn't exist yet. So yeah, not "chinese" but china is a large and recognizable portion of eastern asia, so yeah that's how this info stuck in my head. So sue me.

E Enjay stay classy as fuck
It's fine. It's just clear you have no idea what you're talking about, but still feel obliged to comment definitively and authoritatively based on some warped sense of virtue. As if your modern sensibilities mean you know everything you need to know about history.

SLoWMoTIoN

Milk Connoisseur
Feb 2, 2018

I doubt anyone under the age of 24 cares about this guy, who he was or what he did. Positive or negative. I just wanted to post this video again tbh.

and neogaf doesn't want to admit it's far-right lmao

whats the percentage of people ITT who are even arguing a counter-point to columbus day?

so many of you gravitated towards an echo chamber lol

on topic....I think there's a variety of demographics who have very different feelings or indifference regarding Columbus day

thus it doesn't inspire me to get particularly giddy about it, It's a day where shit went down...and affected things today. thats...pretty much it.

as an individual human, i'm not really understanding why you would...be very attached to the event or concept. Humans killing other humans to take over location, and build their own society, as it eventually exists today.

okay...why would I get super excited about that lol unless I were the type of person to subconsciously really enjoy/need the idea of being a part of something, in this case "being American".

Or maybe if i'm a white guy, it's secretly a indication of my perceived superiority over the "inferiors" lol which is why it is a day to covet.

TIL Columbus day is a white nationalist holiday.

Darkmakaimura

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2008
I was wondering mailman didn't pick up my absentee ballot today and welp, now I know. And knowing is half the battle.

JayK47

Nov 2, 2019
If it wasn't Columbus, it would have been somebody else, unfortunately. I wonder how much longer before it is no longer recognized as a holiday? The only reason I noticed it was Columbus Day besides this thread was not getting mail. Pretty sad holiday.

Vanish

Jul 23, 2007
NJ
Yeah celebrate a day dedicated to a guy responsible for genocides and enslaving people. There's plenty of other good people who have done amazing things throughout history to celebrate instead of this piece of shit. Some of y'all need better standards for your heroes.

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Barlog's Bestie
Jan 9, 2018
Yeah celebrate a day dedicated to a guy responsible for genocides and enslaving people. There's plenty of other good people who have done amazing things throughout history to celebrate instead of this piece of shit. Some of y'all need better standards for your heroes.

- no new wars
- peace in the middle east
- tons of nobel peace prize nominations
- hasn't genocided anybody not even the Mexicans or transgenders everyone on Twitter said he would

let's rename it Donald Trump Day

Vanish

Jul 23, 2007
NJ

- no new wars
- peace in the middle east
- tons of nobel peace prize nominations
- hasn't genocided anybody not even the Mexicans or transgenders everyone on Twitter said he would

let's rename it Donald Trump Day
Haha nah I'm good, Trump is the opposite of a hero.

Reactions: whitehawk

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Oh shit bro! Welcome back!

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
"Y'all."

Are you even from south of the Mason-Dixon line? You should stop appropriating the language of slavers and KKK members.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: plushyp

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
The man was overly confident in a model of the earth that wasn't based on sound science. It's pretty easy to "have balls of steel" when you're an ignoramus who thinks the world is pear shaped with a nipple on top.
Anyone who planned to sail the world in the 15th century had balls of steel by definition. Almost everyone who did that died.

• Strength
Reactions: DeepEnigma

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
You realize the people he genocided were genociding each other, right?

Up until the last 75-100 years, every civilization in the world was cut-throat. If they weren't they got stamped out in a week. Everyone was a savage. That was just the way it was. There is no reason for us to forget everyone during that time or the accomplishments they had while being savages.

Piku_Ringo

Jan 24, 2015
and neogaf doesn't want to admit it's far-right lmao

whats the percentage of people ITT who are even arguing a counter-point to columbus day?

so many of you gravitated towards an echo chamber lol

on topic....I think there's a variety of demographics who have very different feelings or indifference regarding Columbus day

thus it doesn't inspire me to get particularly giddy about it, It's a day where shit went down...and affected things today. thats...pretty much it.

as an individual human, i'm not really understanding why you would...be very attached to the event or concept. Humans killing other humans to take over location, and build their own society, as it eventually exists today.

okay...why would I get super excited about that lol unless I were the type of person to subconsciously really enjoy/need the idea of being a part of something, in this case "being American".

Or maybe if i'm a white guy, it's secretly a indication of my perceived superiority over the "inferiors" lol which is why it is a day to covet.

• LOL
Reactions: Darkmakaimura

Iorv3th

Jan 16, 2013
No instead they might actually have been able to keep the culture they ALREADY HAD instead of being killed and forced to convert.
This is the worst argument anyone could make about history. Look at the Olmec culture and how they got to keep it.

You can "what if" all you want but the world exists now and you get to exist because of the things that happened.

Reactions: Cycom