• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy Father's Day, GAF! Notable/cool dads in gaming

It's Father's Day here in the US. So, Happy Father's Day to all you GAF dads!

To celebrate, let's talk about some notable, cool, awesome (or maybe not so awesome) gaming dads. I'll start:

Joel (The Last of Us):

The-Last-Of-Us-Recap-10.jpg

Yes, there are infected, in a post-apocalyptic world. Yes, there is shooting -- lots of it. But at the center of this game is the father-daughter relationship between Joel and Ellie.

Kratos (God of War 2018):

god-of-war-kratos-and-atreus.png

This is not Kratos's first time being a dad. (The original "Greek" trilogy gives his background with his now deceased wife and daughter...). Now in the Norse world, Kratos's first major adventure with Atreus sees the development and maturity of his role as a dad. Even though Kratos can be pretty harsh on Atreus ("QUIET, BOY!") it's clear he has a soft spot for his son.

Barry Burton (Resident Evil series)

eH2DOYC.png

The guy with the best (read: goofiest/funniest) dialogue in OG Resident Evil 1996, Barry's motivation is all about protecting his family. The picture above is from the Resident Evil 3 epilogue about Barry, and shows his motivations still being about family. Not the perfect dad, his fractured relationship with his daughter Moira is explored further in Resident Evil Revelations 2.

Let's celebrate dads in gaming. Discuss!

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Naughty Dog isn't celebrating Father's Day on Twitter? Shocked!

For me Joel from TLoU 1 would be one of the favorites, but Kiryu being a dad for Haruka also deserves a mention.

I haven't played the Metal Gear Solid games yet (I have 5 in my backlog), so I guess I don't know the relationship between Big Boss and Solid Snake...

Play them in release order. You won't regret it (perhaps the cutscenes in 4 might be a little too much, but play and watch them once).

Just curious. How did you get to know the character names though?

RaySoft

I just don't get the "ö" in Ragnarok.
I know the norwegian language has evolved over the past thousand years, but Ragnarok has always been Ragnarok. Maybe the swedish vikings used ö, since they still use that letter.
Seems they love to use unconventional letters to plant the mysticism maybe.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Shoutout to all the based papas in the Pokémon franchise who never help their spouse and kid move house, never see their wife, run a Pokémon gym 24/7 and spend their spare time skewering dat tight bug catcher pussay.

Kagey K

Banned
Why are we bumping this thread from June before June next year?

I got confused for a sec and thought I was getting 2 Fathers Days this year. 😂

I just don't get the "ö" in Ragnarok.
I know the norwegian language has evolved over the past thousand years, but Ragnarok has always been Ragnarok. Maybe the swedish vikings used ö, since they still use that letter.
Seems they love to use unconventional letters to plant the mysticism maybe.
Why are you necrobumping this thread?

RaySoft

Was a post deleted? The post I see above yours is June 20.
Yes probably deleted, cause it was from today. I didn't scour through some old old threads, but clicked on one at the first page. As previously said, I didn't look at OP date.
But let's put this thread to rest now...

Edit: lol, didnt even notice the thread title before now.. I must have missclicked on this beside a GOW thread. My bad.

Last edited:
Yes probably deleted, cause it was from today. I didn't scour through some old old threads, but clicked on one at the first page. As previously said, I didn't look at OP date.
But let's put this thread to rest now...

Edit: lol, didnt even notice the thread title before now.. I must have missclicked on this beside a GOW thread. My bad.
This has happened a lot since they added the "similar threads" to the bottom of your current thread. It's confusing. But, Happy Father's Day, bro. Merry Christmas too.

Top Bottom