• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harada comments on Tekken 7 for Switch

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think a lot of people were somewhat surprised at Tekken 7 not being announced for Switch, so I thought there would be some interest in Harada's answer.

Also in our interview, Harada talked about the possibility of Tekken 7 coming to Nintendo Switch. Don't expect that to happen. Harada and producer Michael Murray, who translated the interview, have not even been able to get their hands on a Switch as of yet.

"Officially, we can't really comment on that because our company has strict policy about which titles we talk about for Switch," Harada explained. "But personally, we've been so busy with trying to master up Tekken for the current platforms that we haven't really had enough time to study the hardware. We couldn't even buy it--it was sold out every time we went to look for it."
Source: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/tekken-7-boss-talks-rage-quitting-possible-nintend/1100-6449617/

EDarkness

Damn, why a strict policy for talking about NS stuff? It's crazy.

Oh, and Nintendo could easily get him a system.... Heh, heh.

shanafan

I wonder if Sledgehammer Games has the same excuse why COD: WWII isn't coming out for the Nintendo Switch.

We couldn't even buy it--it was sold out every time we went to look for it.

Damn, why a strict policy for talking about NS stuff? It's crazy.
If the unannounced stuff is licensed projects like Pokken or Smash 4 you're usually not supposed to talk about it before the licensee announces it.
I'm guessing that's one of the reasons.

Lol I didn't realize Namco Bandai devs had to go shopping to try the Switch. You'd think they would have access to dev kits, guess not!

/s

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I could have sworn he was interviewed by Famitsu right after launch or right before that he was impressed by the hardware and had been exploring it, etc.? Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

EDarkness

I mean, that's not really strange. You don't talk about unannounced projects.

He didn't really state that. He implies that NS information is strictly curated. It's crazy, but explains why companies can't/ don't even talk about games that are announced.

well i would guess the second part is more of a joke but there seems to be a strict policy about talking about switch titles within bandai namco
Lol I didn't realize Namco Bandai devs had to go shopping to try the Switch. You'd think they would have access to dev kits, guess not!

/s

they have dev kits.. there are several games announced like taiko no tatsujin, dragon ball or tales of

dragonball was even playable.

Mokujin

I really want this to happen so bad, I still use my psp with Tekken 6 to practice some things, I need an upgrade already :(

And a d-pad joycon damnit.

Just say the truth "We put a lot of effort into Tekken Tag 2 for Wii U and it bombed like crazy. It's not worth the effort to port Tekken 7 when we will probably lose money"

They'd be wrong though. I'd love this game on the go.

Ninja Dom

I could have sworn he was interviewed by Famitsu right after launch or right before that he was impressed by the hardware and had been exploring it, etc.? Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Yeah, he was saying that he was surprised that Nintendo managed to sell the Switch for the price it is (cheap) cos he knew what parts and what it took to make it.

Just say the truth "We put a lot of effort into Tekken Tag 2 for Wii U and it bombed like crazy. It's not worth the effort to port Tekken 7 when we will probably lose money"

They'd be wrong though. I'd love this game on the go.
It's all about profit ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but expect this type of response a lot from 3rd parties.

Zalman

Or he could be working on another Switch game.

Pokkén.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
It'd be such a hit on Switch, being able to play local multiplayer anywhere on the go.

Tekken is also pretty easy to pick up and play so this would be a huge missed opportunity.

Edit: Maybe a Pokken remaster or sequel is in the works hence why they're not bringing Tekken over but I think there's room for both if they space them out. Tekken + Smash Bros this year then Pokken next year or whenever.

EDarkness

I remember that too. Weird that he's (sorta?) backtracking on that.

I don't think he's backtracking, but avoiding the conversation entirely. I wouldn't be surprised if Tekken 7 is coming to the NS, but apparently companies can't announce games whenever they feel like it for some reason. Probably gonna make us wait until E3/Tokyo Game Show or something.

I don't think he's backtracking, but avoiding the conversation entirely. I wouldn't be surprised if Tekken 7 is coming to the NS, but apparently companies can't announce games whenever they feel like it for some reason. Probably gonna make us wait until E3/Tokyo Game Show or something.

In realistic news...

He literally says dont expect it to happen

I'm more referring to him saying he hasn't had enough time to study the hardware, when several months ago he said this:

Bandai Namco – Katsuhiro Harada (Tekken Project director; also produced the PSVR title ”Summer Lesson")

THOUGHTS ON PRESENTATION

I wasn't expecting them to begin the presentation by announcing the price. The price is exactly what I'd expect from a marketing point of view, but if you count all the individual peripherals...

The full thing is pretty cheap, and I say that as someone familiar with the inner workings of the system. I have no idea how they kept the price that low.

From here.

Maybe it was a mistranslation, or he meant they haven't begun even experimenting with porting Tekken 7 to the Switch.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I mean this isnt any different than what happened with RE7, DQXI etc. - those are all big projects that have been in development for more than 24 months - the No1. priority is to get the games out on the established system instead of trying to fit in a Switch version - which would likely result in a delay for all other version.

I expect Tekken 7 to hit Switch with a bunch of extras ala TTT2 on WiiU. Tekken Ball coming back was great.

It'd be such a hit on Switch, being able to play local multiplayer anywhere on the go.

Tekken is also pretty easy to pick up and play so this would be a huge missed opportunity.

Edit: Maybe a Pokken remaster or sequel is in the works hence why they're not bringing Tekken over but I think there's room for both if they space them out. Tekken + Smash Bros this year then Pokken next year or whenever.

Aside if pokken lets not forget smash 4 was also made by bamco.. bamco and nintendo are close (nintendo even owns share of bamco)

I don't buy his excuse that he can't get a Switch from a store.

This is Namco/Bandai we're talking about, they would get free Switches from Nintendo easily and already have access to a dev kit anyway.

Alienous

Seeing as they're using Unreal Engine 4 I hope they at least try.

And considering the Tekken support the Wii U and 3DS got a Switch port seems like a decent possibility.

bethore

Were people really surprised that T7 wasn't announced for Switch? It's a weird trend I'm seeing where a lot of people are expecting ports or asking questions about PS4/Xbox One games being on the Switch. There didn't seem to be this sentiment with the Wii U or the Wii for their respective generations.

We couldn't even buy it--it was sold out every time we went to look for it.

Also can someone explain this? I thought developers were given development kits. Or is he saying even those are hard to get their hands on.

Were people really surprised that T7 wasn't announced for Switch? It's a weird trend I'm seeing where a lot of people are expecting ports or asking questions about PS4/Xbox One games being on the Switch. There didn't seem to be this sentiment with the Wii U or the Wii for their respective generations.

Also can someone explain this? I thought developers were given development kits. Or is he saying even those are hard to get their hands on.

It's him dodging the question in a polite way. I mean what do people him want him to say " case one: switch to weak handle it or case two too much trouble porting it aka not worth the investment" can't ruin relationships with fans and Nintendo.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
He just doesn't want to say they don't think it would sell on Switch and they already have too much dev team on PC/PS4/XB1 to worry about and Namco Bandai dont think its worth the investment

Still stupid to say you have to go out and buy one even though you already have devkits, its not a funny joke!

Top Bottom