• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drama Hariseldon’s World | Visits to this thread may adversely affect your faith in humanity

Nymphae

Jun 3, 2013
Canada
I wasn't questioning you. Just the fact that a list voted for by men has blade runner 2049 and no Shawshank redemption. The 'men' must have been mainly soyboys
Your post just made me realize that there was no source on the image and I was curious so I searched for it. The list is sort of peculiar in places. Like I do kind of find it kind of hard to believe Brokeback Mountain is on there at all, and the men's list has a number of films I wouldn't expect, and I don't even know what the fuck Taare Zameen Par is.

Gotta be honest I wasn't digging through that 538 article so I'm just going to assume the image is correct and call it a day.

The Shift

Sep 6, 2009

Why liberal white women pay a lot of money to learn over dinner how they're racist
Oh look, it's Charles Dickens' Fagin and the Pied Piper of Hamlin - a perfect duo for white liberal women.

Look at that smug fuck racist bigot on the right haha 🤡

Last edited:

Scotty W

Sep 29, 2019
Saira Rao, who identifies as Indian American. They started Race to Dinner to challenge liberal white women to accept their racism, however subconscious. “If you did this in a conference room, they’d leave,” Rao says. “But wealthy white women have been taught never to leave the dinner table.”
Saira Rao is a god-level troll.

MCA: Tell us a good feminist joke.

SR: Donald Trump, only it’s not that funny anymore.
MCA: Who are your top feminist artists right now?

SR: Pink, Mama Gena, Shonda Rhimes, Beyonce, Lena Dunham, Melissa Rosenberg (creator of Jessica Jones). And, there are just SO many female filmmakers, especially those of color, that it’s hard to choose.

Actually, that might be a good feminist joke.

• LOL
Reactions: chocobomochi

crumbs

Jun 7, 2004
I wasn't questioning you. Just the fact that a list voted for by men has blade runner 2049 and no Shawshank redemption. The 'men' must have been mainly soyboys
These lists feature movies that show the greatest disparity between how men and women ranked them. If Shawshank Redemption was ranked similarly by both men and women, it wouldn't appear on these lists. Only 2 top 50 ranked movies appear on either list.

Last edited:

Tenaciousmo

May 10, 2018
Montreal, Canada
I call doubt on that list. Shawshank redemption not even appearing is bollox.
that list is about a disparity between ranks, if both gender ranked it similarily it won't appear on the list. I do not think this list shows anything else than preference between genders.

EDIT: just saw someone saying the exact same thing. sorry

Last edited:

hariseldon

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018
Quick, get the insurance claim ready!

Guys probably made more money with a fire than they have in the past 4 months.
Thinking about it - restaurants being fucked, you're probably right, it gives him an excuse to get out of the business for a bit, maybe purchase a distressed business for peanuts down the line and then start making cash again once the lockdown is fully eased.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
May 9, 2016
h*ck
This literally makes no sense.
Why would you want your business to get destroyed, just to rebuild it? Maybe there was a very lofty insurance settlement. 🤔
He knows who his customers are and has to send a few ass kisses their way to stay in good graces when he reopens.

Reactions: Gashtronomy

RokkanStoned

Jan 14, 2018
Norway

Interesting data. There are only 3 out of 20 movies in the men's list from years after 2000, and 17 out of 20 on the women's list.
Looking at this data it seems like women were a mistake and men are best civ. The amount of disrespect for For A Few Dollars More is baffling.

Hmmm, the result is a bit odd and I'm very curious on the methodology and the actual data. Clearly there must be some age disparity. I get that it's only showing where there's a big disagreement, but I'm still baffled at one list (female) having 3 movies released before 2000s and another (male) has only 2 movies released after 2000s. One could interpret that as men and women seemingly at the aggregate having very different views of old vs contemporary movies.

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018
Looking at this data it seems like women were a mistake and men are best civ. The amount of disrespect for For A Few Dollars More is baffling.

Hmmm, the result is a bit odd and I'm very curious on the methodology and the actual data. Clearly there must be some age disparity. I get that it's only showing where there's a big disagreement, but I'm still baffled at one list (female) having 3 movies released before 2000s and another (male) has only 2 movies released after 2000s. One could interpret that as men and women seemingly at the aggregate having very different views of old vs contemporary movies.
Maybe because most of the 'top' movies that men love came from the 80's/90's? So many action movies crammed in all at the same time.

RokkanStoned

Jan 14, 2018
Norway
Maybe because most of the 'top' movies that men love came from the 80's/90's? So many action movies crammed in all at the same time.
That would make sense if movies like Commando, Rocky IV, Die Hard, True Lies, Lethal Weapon and others were on the list. However, most of the movies are more than just action movies. And only 6 of the 20 movies are from the 1980s and 1990s, where most of them aren't pure action movies, but rather focused on drama and historical pieces. Movies that were critically well-received, and which received nominations and even won Academy Awards, except The Thing (which was received negatively at first, albeit years after its release it has slowly garnered a reassessment in the public's eye) and that's a sci-fi horror movie.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Gashtronomy

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018
That would make sense if movies like Commando, Rocky IV, Die Hard, True Lies, Lethal Weapon and others were on the list. However, most of the movies are more than just action movies. And only 6 of the 20 movies are from the 1980s and 1990s, where most of them aren't pure action movies, but rather focused on drama and historical pieces. Movies that were critically well-received, and which received nominations and even won Academy Awards, except The Thing (which was received negatively at first, albeit years after its release it has slowly garnered a reassessment in the public's eye) and that's a sci-fi horror movie.
True, you're probably on to something there. I'm just saying that in general, most movies that mostly men love would tend to be from that time period. I.E. if you picked a random batch of movies from then, the concentration of "Men's Movies" would be higher.

Also, unrelated, but The Thing not being considered a masterpiece in its' time is fucking criminal. That movie still looks great and scares the shit out of people today.

The Thing (1982) Gif - ID: 101031 - Gif Abyss

RokkanStoned

Jan 14, 2018
Norway
True, you're probably on to something there. I'm just saying that in general, most movies that mostly men love would tend to be from that time period. I.E. if you picked a random batch of movies from then, the concentration of "Men's Movies" would be higher.

Also, unrelated, but The Thing not being considered a masterpiece in its' time is fucking criminal. That movie still looks great and scares the shit out of people today.

The Thing (1982) Gif - ID: 101031 - Gif Abyss
That's not what the data shows though. It shows the disparity in opinion. And the 80s and 90s aren't overrepresented. If anything 2000s and 2010s are underrepresented on male side and overrepresented on the female side (supposing that the quality of movies are equal across the decades). It's showing the disparity in how men and women rank movies. With how women rank the Harry Potter movies a lot higher than men. And in general they rank a lot of newer and really popular movies higher than men, while men rank a lot of classic and critically acclaimed movies higher than women.

Of course, I have no idea where the research data is from, so I'm curious about the methodology and whether it's actually an accurate description.

And yeah, The Thing is great and it's mind-boggling that it was negatively received in its time.

Last edited:
Reactions: chocobomochi

Nymphae

Jun 3, 2013
Canada
Reactions: RokkanStoned

chocobomochi

Formerly 'onewingedhoneybee'
Apr 18, 2020
USA
Your post just made me realize that there was no source on the image and I was curious so I searched for it. The list is sort of peculiar in places. Like I do kind of find it kind of hard to believe Brokeback Mountain is on there at all, and the men's list has a number of films I wouldn't expect, and I don't even know what the fuck Taare Zameen Par is.

Gotta be honest I wasn't digging through that 538 article so I'm just going to assume the image is correct and call it a day.
Well this isn't men and women's favorite movies of all time, just movies that are favored more by one gender than the other with a large disparity in between, so some of the choices are bound to be odd. I'd be interested to see the most popular movies for each gender though. I would say I liked about half of the movies on each list. Wouldn't put any of them in my top 10 though.

Greedings

May 23, 2016
Thinking about it - restaurants being fucked, you're probably right, it gives him an excuse to get out of the business for a bit, maybe purchase a distressed business for peanuts down the line and then start making cash again once the lockdown is fully eased.
I have a friend in the UK who's considering an accidental fire at his small hole-in-the-wall cafe. Insurance is a great way to recoup lost earning from the lock downs.

Also, what happened to the Clowns?

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014

Breakage

Mar 3, 2014

Microsoft sacks journalists to replace them with robots
Users of the homepages of the MSN website and Edge browser will now see news stories generated by AI

Dozens of journalists have been sacked after Microsoft decided to replace them with artificial intelligence software.
Staff who maintain the news homepages on Microsoft’s MSN website and its Edge browser – used by millions of Britons every day – have been told that they will be no longer be required because robots can now do their jobs.

Around 27 individuals employed by PA Media – formerly the Press Association – were told on Thursday that they would lose their jobs in a month’s time after Microsoft decided to stop employing humans to select, edit and curate news articles on its homepages.
Employees were told Microsoft’s decision to end the contract with PA Media was taken at short notice as part of a global shift away from humans in favour of automated updates for news.

One staff member who worked on the team said: “I spend all my time reading about how automation and AI is going to take all our jobs, and here I am – AI has taken my job.”