• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drama Hariseldon’s World | Visits to this thread may adversely affect your faith in humanity

-Arcadia-

Aug 20, 2019
Respectfully, let’s all take a beat and chill.

We’re all on the same side (that being free speech), want the same things, etc.

Literally nobody in this conversation wanted this, and we all know that having posted together for months, years, etc.

RokkanStoned

Jan 14, 2018
Norway
This obsession over a title change. I assumed it was possibly due to advertisement, as searching clown world will say "alt-right" "neo-nazi", though I personally don't believe the people using it are necessarily amongst that group.
As long as it has no bearing on the free discussion, I don't see the need to obsess over a title. Could've used synonyms instead though to please people, but then again, I don't know if that would actually please them.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
lets celebrate this man who is happy his restaurant burned to the ground lol

That just means his building was falling apart and he did not want to spend the money to renovate, plus he was probably in the hole for lack of business due to COVID. The insurance was a far greater kickback. He got his building burned without an arson investigation leading back to him. Praise be Agni and Vishnu!

Last edited:

RokkanStoned

Jan 14, 2018
Norway
That just means his building was falling apart and he did not want to spend the money to renovate, and the insurance was a far greater kickback. He got his building burned without an arson investigation leading back to him. Praise be Vishnu!
Might not saying "let the building burn" affect his insurance claim? Seems to me that it would be rational for insurance companies to have clauses in case someone willfully suggesting that the insurance object should burn down. They usually have clauses for all kinds of stuff to get out of paying.

Also, pretty ridiculous. These riots have nothing to do with justice and besmirches those that are there just to protest. It's all just pure emotional drivel and nothing to do with justice.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Might not saying "let the building burn" affect his insurance claim? Seems to me that it would be rational for insurance companies to have clauses in case someone willfully suggesting that the insurance object should burn down. They usually have clauses for all kinds of stuff to get out of paying.

Also, pretty ridiculous. These riots have nothing to do with justice and besmirches those that are there just to protest. It's all just pure emotional drivel and nothing to do with justice.
Nah, he had nothing to do with it, and the riots are a national event through media. He can say what he wants, he isn't a firefighter so there is nothing he can do to prevent it.

Reactions: Bombchelle

Gashtronomy

Apr 19, 2019
This obsession over a title change. I assumed it was possibly due to advertisement, as searching clown world will say "alt-right" "neo-nazi", though I personally don't believe the people using it are necessarily amongst that group.
As long as it has no bearing on the free discussion, I don't see the need to obsess over a title. Could've used synonyms instead though to please people, but then again, I don't know if that would actually please them.
To be fair, I remember seeing the clown World thread before clown World became owt do with alt right. Neogaf did it first

matt404au

Banned
Apr 25, 2009
Straya
It’s because at face value it represents a capitulation to the same slanderous mob that burnt this place to the ground in the first place. If it’s to appease advertisers, I understand, especially when there’s nonsense like this out in the wild. It’s not about a simple word change; it’s about what it represents: the mob still policing language, this time from afar. Just disappointing.

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
The Pentagon
is it the same mob if the target audience and territory improves

it's different i think, enough to warrant some space to place with

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
Death by a 1000 paper cuts. Terrible way to go.
The cost of never kneeling is sometimes you take a bullet to the head.

hariseldon hariseldon and others are correct to be fearful of each little change. The March of censorship is not about big wins, but small victories, boiling that frog.

EviLore EviLore is also correct market realities can force his hand, putting him in an untenable and unwinnable postion. Likewise, everyone who waves this away and keeps on keeping on makes that decision as well, on a smaller scale. Each time, the fringe who finally had enough scamper off, or get banned, til you have a self-selected group of people who don’t even realize they are censoring themselves, or don’t care.

Those I take particular issue with are the bullies. Notice how as soon as an authoritarian change occurred that bothered the actual community, some swooped in and ridiculed and shamed anyone who might take issue. Shut up, you fool, and take your medicine! They aren’t saying those things due to the market realities EviLore EviLore Is navigating, but because that is just who they are to the core.

Most people will just keep on keeping on, because ultimately this was a relatively small issue. As the bullies say, how silly it is to make a big deal over a single word. But if one word, then why not two.

I am also curious how exactly this even came to the attention of advertisers. the obvious, most likely, answer would be pressure from the censorial reeee types. In which case, they will cheer their victory and push harder.

If, as the bullies claim, we are silly for even caring, imagine how much sillier it is we live a world in which a forum is pressured to change the word ‘clown’ in a subject title. Clown world, indeed.

Last edited:

MetalAlien

Mar 6, 2005
We are all guests here, always have been. Only one person pays the bills and it's not me but I bet he remembers what it was like before. Just remember the ones that stayed are also the ones that forgave.

In the end it's your site and I have no say. I will remain like I always have. Sometimes as a fan, and sometimes as something else.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
May 30, 2004
We are all guests here, always have been. Only one person pays the bills and it's not me but I bet he remembers what it was like before. Just remember the ones that stayed are also the ones that forgave.

In the end it's your site and I have no say. I will remain like I always have. Sometimes as a fan, and sometimes as something else.
I appreciate you guys.

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014

Lover?

I appreciate you guys.
Lover.