• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drama Hariseldon’s World | Visits to this thread may adversely affect your faith in humanity

Apr 18, 2020
USA
i wonder if it's actually good or just one of those shameful excuse of a treat...
It's actually pretty good. I try not to have a lot of sugar so if I want ice cream I'll get Halo Top. It tastes just as good, it's a little harder than normal ice cream but if you let it sit on the counter for like 5 minutes it's fine.

I eat it so I DON'T get fat though.

Reactions: Tenaciousmo

Saruhashi

Oct 2, 2018

Hey fatty! Give us more money!
There's a pretty grim comment under the video.

"She'll never get to be as old as the woman watching from the window."

360 calories per pint is a fucking lot to be honest.
Especially if you are plowing through an entire tub.

Kind of the same as how Coke Zero etc is zero calorie and zero sugar. Yes, and still not good for you.

It's kind of fascinating how they've managed to get around the moral implications of selling unhealthy lifestyles to the public with "don't shame me for my unhealthy lifestyle".

I always got a bit confused by "body positivity".
Like, for sure don't be too hard on yourself and understand that having a really toned, athletic or muscular body takes time and effort so maybe learn accept yourself and your limitations.
However, don't just give up and become an unhealthy wreck because you can mentally make your peace with it.

There's good advice in "don't be so obsessed with the perfect body" and "be healthy and have a healthy lifestyle" but not so much in "fuck it, I don't care".
Maybe the lady in the video is actually doing great but a lot of people of that size and shape will experience a wide range of physical and even mental illnesses. Mostly due to not having a healthy lifestyle.

How is it "body positive" to basically be fine with doing damage to your body?

Breakage

Mar 3, 2014
Inducing white guilt in an 11-year-old ginger school boy serves as evening entertainment for the British masses:

Ginger Harry Potter

Viewers of The School That Tried To End Racism are left sobbing as 11-year-old white boy breaks down in tears and flees the classroom after being separated from his non-white friends and asked to talk about ethnicity and privilege

Viewers of The School that Tried to End Racism were left in tears after an 11-year-old boy broke down and fled the classroom as he tried to talk about white privilege with his classmates.

Pupils in Year 7 at Glenthorne High School in South London were separated into 'affinity groups' of white and non-white students to discuss race and ethnicity during a three-week experiment in Channel 4's new documentary The School That Tried to End Racism, which aired tonight at 9pm.

The segregated affinity groups took place once a week, while 24 pupils aged 11 and 12 had further workshops and lessons together on white privilege and racial inequality throughout the programme.

But Henry, 11, became emotional after being separated from his non-white friends during the first session and, upon being asked to share what he had learnt with the class, broke down in tears and fled the room.

Many of those watching the programme were left in tears over the scene, with one commenting: 'Henry is an absolute gem, I'm tearing up seeing how upset he gets that he was put in a group based on his race.'

The class of 11-year-olds in their first year at secondary school volunteered to take part in the three-week programme, aimed at reducing unconscious bias, at the school which has a nearly 50/50 make-up of white and non-white pupils.

The scheme separated children by race into affinity groups, to allow them to have conversations and discussions about race.

Teachers were trained to run the affinity groups, with Dr Nicola Rollock, an academic who works on race relations, and Professor Rhiannon Turner, joining the school throughout the experiment to observe how the children behaved.

Dr Nicola explained: 'The approach to race in this country has been one of colour blindness. We pretend we don't see race. That approach isn't working.

Last edited:

Scotty W

Sep 29, 2019
How is it "body positive" to basically be fine with doing damage to your body?
The whole problem can only exist in the context of modern times.

Long ago, it was very difficult to be obese. There was less food around, and no processed food. Moreover, people had less sedentary lives, generally.

With industrialism comes the photo. It became possible to take an image of a woman and mass produce it. When public relations and its advertising arm came on the scene in the 20’s, it was realized that it is possible to use the image to control the standards of beauty.

Looking across time and culture, standards of beauty vary widely. The ancient Vietnamese and Japanese women used to blacken their teeth. European men in the 17th century wore thatched horse hair wigs and so on. There is no universal standard of beauty.

Given this, the people who were controlling the standards of beauty had to walk a fine line. The standards had to be within the realm of plausibility (I can make my body look like that), but always just out of reach (if only I could eat a bit less, or if only I didn’t take a day off from working out).

Breasts were not popular in the 20’s, asses were non existent in the 80’s, rail thin heroin chic ruled the 90’s, and since 2000 asses have increased to absurd sizes. If you took a tatooed instagram model with fake ass and tits and sent her back 100 years in the past, they would be digusted.

So in light of this, I think I can see several principles. 1: the standard of beauty is always achievable, and just out of reach. 2: there is an Overton Window of beauty, which embraces some body types at one time, and excludes other body types at another. 3: the shape and size of the Overton Window cannot be sustained over an indefinite period of time, but must constantly change due to boredom, market pressures and LIFE. 4: the only constant I can see in this ocean of change is the standard always reverts back to life at some point. What does this mean? Life is simply being alive, having strength, vitality, and being fruitful. With regard to breasts, milk will defeat silicon in the long run. 5: the Overton Window always wants to make the new standards dependent in consuming new products: protein shakes, yoga pants, hairspray, implants...

To return to the original point, the Overton Window of beauty has simply been too dependent on women starving for too long, there is a natural desire to change the standard. The naural reslonse to this should be to make the standards aim at health, right?

No, it looks like what they are doing is going to the opposite extreme. Fat will perhaps have its day, and it will be succeeded by some new monstrosity, or the apocalypse.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Inducing white guilt in an 11-year-old ginger school boy serves as evening entertainment for the British masses:

Ginger Harry Potter

Viewers of The School That Tried To End Racism are left sobbing as 11-year-old white boy breaks down in tears and flees the classroom after being separated from his non-white friends and asked to talk about ethnicity and privilege

Viewers of The School that Tried to End Racism were left in tears after an 11-year-old boy broke down and fled the classroom as he tried to talk about white privilege with his classmates.

Pupils in Year 7 at Glenthorne High School in South London were separated into 'affinity groups' of white and non-white students to discuss race and ethnicity during a three-week experiment in Channel 4's new documentary The School That Tried to End Racism, which aired tonight at 9pm.

The segregated affinity groups took place once a week, while 24 pupils aged 11 and 12 had further workshops and lessons together on white privilege and racial inequality throughout the programme.

But Henry, 11, became emotional after being separated from his non-white friends during the first session and, upon being asked to share what he had learnt with the class, broke down in tears and fled the room.

Many of those watching the programme were left in tears over the scene, with one commenting: 'Henry is an absolute gem, I'm tearing up seeing how upset he gets that he was put in a group based on his race.'

The class of 11-year-olds in their first year at secondary school volunteered to take part in the three-week programme, aimed at reducing unconscious bias, at the school which has a nearly 50/50 make-up of white and non-white pupils.

The scheme separated children by race into affinity groups, to allow them to have conversations and discussions about race.

Teachers were trained to run the affinity groups, with Dr Nicola Rollock, an academic who works on race relations, and Professor Rhiannon Turner, joining the school throughout the experiment to observe how the children behaved.

Dr Nicola explained: 'The approach to race in this country has been one of colour blindness. We pretend we don't see race. That approach isn't working.

Is it not distrubing they are doing these experiments on kids, and also on TV to boot. Seems pretty unethical to me.

Durask

Feb 6, 2012
Is it not distrubing they are doing these experiments on kids, and also on TV to boot. Seems pretty unethical to me.
Let's look up the good Dr Nikola Rollock

Let's look up what the good Dr is writing.

That's an interesting phrase at the very bottom, very interesting.

There is, of course, a dark perversity to white allyship that is not often mentioned in most debates about racial justice. White allyship means divesting from the very histories, structures, systems, assumptions and behaviours that keep white people in positions of power. And, generally, power is to be maintained, not relinquished.

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007

Ginger Harry Potter

Straight up villains.

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
The whole problem can only exist in the context of modern times.

Long ago, it was very difficult to be obese. There was less food around, and no processed food. Moreover, people had less sedentary lives, generally.

With industrialism comes the photo. It became possible to take an image of a woman and mass produce it. When public relations and its advertising arm came on the scene in the 20’s, it was realized that it is possible to use the image to control the standards of beauty.

Looking across time and culture, standards of beauty vary widely. The ancient Vietnamese and Japanese women used to blacken their teeth. European men in the 17th century wore thatched horse hair wigs and so on. There is no universal standard of beauty.

Given this, the people who were controlling the standards of beauty had to walk a fine line. The standards had to be within the realm of plausibility (I can make my body look like that), but always just out of reach (if only I could eat a bit less, or if only I didn’t take a day off from working out).

Breasts were not popular in the 20’s, asses were non existent in the 80’s, rail thin heroin chic ruled the 90’s, and since 2000 asses have increased to absurd sizes. If you took a tatooed instagram model with fake ass and tits and sent her back 100 years in the past, they would be digusted.

So in light of this, I think I can see several principles. 1: the standard of beauty is always achievable, and just out of reach. 2: there is an Overton Window of beauty, which embraces some body types at one time, and excludes other body types at another. 3: the shape and size of the Overton Window cannot be sustained over an indefinite period of time, but must constantly change due to boredom, market pressures and LIFE. 4: the only constant I can see in this ocean of change is the standard always reverts back to life at some point. What does this mean? Life is simply being alive, having strength, vitality, and being fruitful. With regard to breasts, milk will defeat silicon in the long run. 5: the Overton Window always wants to make the new standards dependent in consuming new products: protein shakes, yoga pants, hairspray, implants...

To return to the original point, the Overton Window of beauty has simply been too dependent on women starving for too long, there is a natural desire to change the standard. The naural reslonse to this should be to make the standards aim at health, right?

No, it looks like what they are doing is going to the opposite extreme. Fat will perhaps have its day, and it will be succeeded by some new monstrosity, or the apocalypse.
I definitely agree with quite a bit of what you say, but I think you are leaving too much to some mysterious 'desire to change' driving the Overton window. I would suggest we can identify these causal factors to some degree - specifically, I think you are missing two key through lines, wealth and childbirth:

1] in pre-Industrial Revolution, beauty trended towards overweight because to be overweight required excess wealth [for food] while the poor were underfed. Even further back, fat meant you would survive a cold winter. Wide hips were attractive because birth was difficult and wide hips increased survivability. Breasts were milk jugs.

2] In the 20th century, beauty trended towards skinny because the dedication to fitness required excess wealth [for exercise, training, equipment] while most were overfed with fast food. Food was trivialized and unimportant to the rich. C-sections reduced the need for wide hips. Formula decreased the need for breasts.

3] And today, beauty trends towards fake [butt implants, etc.] because elective plastic surgery requires wealth. In extreme cases, the rich could go to such extremes that nobody would hire them [face tattoos, super long nails, etc]. We can extend that even further - having kids is looked down upon so 'working equipment' isn't as required.

That is to say, I do not think beauty standards are changing because women have been 'starving' for too long, but rather because beauty is interconnected with wealth, power, and dynasty. As times have changed, the metric for evaluating this first teetered off in the opposite direction [healthy became skinny instead of fat] and then just fell off the rails due to a swift kick from feminist fat studies.

Last edited:

Breakage

Mar 3, 2014
Very little genuinely surprises me in today's Britain. Almost every aspect of life of life has been turned into a voyeuristic experiment for the purpose of entertainment. The boy's parents must have been ok with the idea that their 11-year-old son would be humiliated on national TV (Channel 4 is one of the main free-to-air channels here) to reinforce The Narrative.

Last edited:

Breakage

Mar 3, 2014

Florence Pugh says she's 'truly sorry' for appropriating other cultures after admitting to wearing her hair in 'corn rows' at age 18: 'To see change I must be part of the change'

Florence Pugh has offered a heartfelt apology for appropriating other cultures in the past, in a lengthy statement she posted on social media.

Confessing ignorance for her actions, the Little Women star, 24, admitted she was 'uneducated' and 'unread' in the years before she finally realized how she had disrespected cultures and religions.

But now, after four weeks of protests, marches and rallies in support of Black Lives Matter across the world following the police killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis, the Academy Award-nominated actress explained how she's learning 'a tidal wave of information' and that 'to see change I must be part of the change.'
Pugh said she first heard of the term cultural appropriation during an in-depth conversation with a friend when she was 18 after she had styled her hair into corn rows.

During that chat, the gal pal told her that the corn row style had been banned at her school because of cultural appropriation.

'She began to explain to me what cultural appropriation was, the history and heartbreak over how when Black girls do it they're mocked and judged, but when white girls for it, it's only then perceived as cool,' the British born star wrote.
'It was true. I could see how Black culture was being so obviously exploited.

Full grovelling apology at the jump:

Breakage

Mar 3, 2014

Met Police is hiring people on a rate equivalent to £39k-a-year to spot signs of racism in applicants - more than the £29k starting salary for officers
  • Civilian assessors are paid £150-a-day plus expenses to run rule over candidates
  • Those who get through the assessments are put on a starting salary of £29,000
  • Critics call it 'unreasonable' to pay them 'such huge sums' compared to officers
  • But Met Police say it is in 'everyone's best interest' that it recruits 'best officers'
'Racism spotters' helping to weed out policing candidates with intolerant views are being paid a higher rate than the beat-treading officers they help to employ.

The civilian assessors, who do not need specific qualifications for the role, are pocketing £150-a-day plus expenses to run the rule over candidates hoping to enter the Met Police.

If the part-time role, which requires a commitment of at least 25 days-a-year, was full-time, the assessors would receive an annual salary of around £39,000-a-year.

That's significantly more than the £30,000 starting salary of a police constable in the Met Police - a daily salary of around £120 when counting the 253 working days in 2020.

Critics say it is 'unreasonable' to pay assessors 'such huge sums' compared to police officers.

But the Met Police has defended the use of assessors, saying it is 'in everyone's best interest that we attract, recruit and retain the very best officers'.

A now closed job advert on the police's recruitment website looking for 50 new assessors for the Met Police said it was looking for people with 'life experience and an appreciation of diversity issues'.

Mihos

Gold Member
May 10, 2009
steamcommunity.com

Met Police is hiring people on a rate equivalent to £39k-a-year to spot signs of racism in applicants - more than the £29k starting salary for officers
  • Civilian assessors are paid £150-a-day plus expenses to run rule over candidates
  • Those who get through the assessments are put on a starting salary of £29,000
  • Critics call it 'unreasonable' to pay them 'such huge sums' compared to officers
  • But Met Police say it is in 'everyone's best interest' that it recruits 'best officers'
'Racism spotters' helping to weed out policing candidates with intolerant views are being paid a higher rate than the beat-treading officers they help to employ.

The civilian assessors, who do not need specific qualifications for the role, are pocketing £150-a-day plus expenses to run the rule over candidates hoping to enter the Met Police.

If the part-time role, which requires a commitment of at least 25 days-a-year, was full-time, the assessors would receive an annual salary of around £39,000-a-year.

That's significantly more than the £30,000 starting salary of a police constable in the Met Police - a daily salary of around £120 when counting the 253 working days in 2020.

Critics say it is 'unreasonable' to pay assessors 'such huge sums' compared to police officers.

But the Met Police has defended the use of assessors, saying it is 'in everyone's best interest that we attract, recruit and retain the very best officers'.

A now closed job advert on the police's recruitment website looking for 50 new assessors for the Met Police said it was looking for people with 'life experience and an appreciation of diversity issues'.

I bet there will be a quota at some point

Reactions: Schrödinger's cat

Nymphae

Jun 3, 2013
Canada

Jaden McNeil is a student at Kansas State University and the former chapter head of Turning Point USA. He left the organization after he decided it was useless. He started a new group called America First Students (@AmFirstStudents).

Yesterday, he posted a joke on Twitter.

Since then, Kansas State University has had a mental breakdown. The school’s athletics department is struggling to contain a players’ rebellion. The school denounced him. It’s offering therapists for those who can’t handle this tweet. There are many violent threats against Mr. McNeil.
Pretty simple joke and the place goes into meltdown mode

Your options lol? Ignore the fucking thing instead of getting histrionic.

Kansas State University is a public school. Unless the First Amendment no longer applies, it has no options.
The basketball coach must also signal his virtue via social media:

I strive to continue barfing platitudes that actually do nothing at every opportunity I get

The Dean of Students literally can't even:

"This doesn't reflect us AS CONFIRMED BY OUR OUTRAGE" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The football coach:

Student athletes threatening to not partake as long as this scourge exists at their public university:

I'm quitting sportsball because someone at this university made a joke!

This kid has balls I give him that:

So much hate on campus:

Tenaciousmo

May 10, 2018
Montreal, Canada

I strive to continue barfing platitudes that actually do nothing at every opportunity I get

The football coach:

Student athletes threatening to not partake as long as this scourge exists at their public university:

So much hate on campus:
that joke was fire tho.

BigDeadFreak

Neo Member
Jul 7, 2018
That 'lady' is a racist piece of shit. Who works for the Washington Post.

Interesting that she brings up the Tulsa Massacre. It was a truly terrible event that came about because the people involved decided to #believeallwomen.

If only there had been due process where the allegations of women were taken simply as allegations until proven in a court of law.

I imagine that, following on from such brutal destruction of innocent people's lives, those of us who advocate for innocent until proven guilty would be feted by the left.

I imagine that the Tulsa Massacre would be prominent in the minds of the educated as a warning of what can happen when baseless allegations are taken as gospel.

crumbs

Jun 7, 2004

The football coach:

So much hate on campus:
I'm sure Twitter's safety council is all over these threatening tweets, right?

• LOL
Reactions: Bombchelle

crumbs

Jun 7, 2004
Looks like Reddit admins have been busy today. The r/ConsumeProduct (that popped up in the thread not so long ago) was part of their culling, with r/The_Donald being the most high profile. Twitch also temp banned the Trump channel.

Last edited:
  • Triggered
Reactions: Nymphae

Nymphae

Jun 3, 2013
Canada
Looks like Reddit admins have been busy today. The r/ConsumeProduct (that popped up in the thread not so long ago) was part of their culling, with r/The_Donald being the most high profile. Twitch also temp banned the Trump channel.
Goddamnit there was so much good stuff in consoomproduct

Edit: Therightcantmeme still up for now

Last edited:

crumbs

Jun 7, 2004
Goddamnit there was so much good stuff in consoomproduct

Edit: Therightcantmeme still up for now

I've scrolled through r/ConsumeProduct a couple of times and I didn't see much content that was ban worthy. People have been defining "hate speech" is such broad terms that it's meaningless, but that's probably the point.

Last edited: