• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drama Hariseldon’s World | Visits to this thread may adversely affect your faith in humanity

TeezzyD

Fantastik Tuna
Mar 18, 2020
I'm not sure how to interpret this.
Why do 99% of 25 years old Americans have fine arts degrees?
People who major in something like "fine arts" tend to have a difficult time swallowing their pride. They want to live some bohemian fantasy lifestyle. She doesnt have to be unemployed, she looks like she could say, "Welcome to Wal Mart," if she wanted to.

Stilton Disco

Aug 22, 2014
England
People who major in something like "fine arts" tend to have a difficult time swallowing their pride. They want to live some bohemian fantasy lifestyle. She doesnt have to be unemployed, she looks like she could say, "Welcome to Wal Mart," if she wanted to.
Hell, she could just start a business selling her art on etsy, make or restore art using stuff found dumpster diving, find an antiques shop that wants some restoration work done for dirt cheap, get a costume and a sign, hang around busy parts of town, then give tourists a guided tour round the artsy sections of where she lives, telling them the history of the place, or even just put up fliers around schools/colleges to tutor kids on her degree's subject.

There's plenty of jobs she could use her knowledge for, that would bring her some money, not let what she knows go rusty, and be something that, with hard work and talent, might be able to be built off later for a rewarding career.

But like you say, pride and a fantasy of an imagined life they're 'owed' are what really holds these people back.

TeezzyD

Fantastik Tuna
Mar 18, 2020
I know those types too well. They all think they're so special and their vision is unique. Hell, I was that guy up until my early twenties or so. But you're right. If someone with a fine arts degree is ostensibly so creative - then figure out a way to make your skill set work for you.

Hell, live in your car, shower at the gym, eat off the dollar menu, and spend all day doing 'art stuff' on a laptop at Starbucks for all I care. Don't bitch. They should know what they signed up for, they just thought they were the special one that would break through early on.

Breakage

Mar 3, 2014

Etsy bans craft-maker from selling 'I love JK Rowling' items that 'promote hatred'... while promoting badges and cards carrying slogan 'F*** JK Rowling'

Online marketplace Etsy has banned a seller from selling items carrying the slogan 'I love JK Rowling' claiming that it 'promotes hatred'.

But the marketplace has been slammed after social media users higlighted that their site also currently lists a postcard bearing the slogan 'F*** JK Rowling'.

Etsy reportedly removed items included a poster, hoodie, sweatshirt and long sleeve T-shirt, bearing slogans in support of the author from the page of a seller known as QuirkyStitchCrafty.

In an email to the seller, a representative of the 'Etsy's Marketplace Integrity team' said they prohibit any products that 'promotes, supports, or glorifies hatred or violence towards protected groups'.

They added: 'This includes items or listings that are demeaning or disparaging towards people based upon: race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, disability, or sexual orientation.'

The removal of the products was been branded 'sinister stuff' by one social media user, while another called it 'bang out of order'.

Etsy is understood to have reinstated the products after the backlash.

Breakage

Mar 3, 2014

“POLYAMOROUS THROUPLE”
Pregnant girlfriend who admits she struggled when her boyfriend's ex joined their relationship now wants him to have a baby with her too so that their children will grow up close
  • Hayley Hale, 22, fell pregnant seven months ago with boyfriend Devin Hale, 24
  • Although not planned, she now wants Devin to get their girlfriend Ciara DeJesus, 20, pregnant too
  • All three are in a polyamorous throuple relationship and have been since 2018
A woman in a polyamorous relationship who accidentally got pregnant has revealed she now wants her boyfriend to have a baby with his other girlfriend, too.
Trainee public accountant Hayley Hale, 22, from Cincinnati, Ohio, and psychology student Ciara DeJesus, 20, both spent their high school years casually dating receptionist Devin Hale, 24.

Hayley and Devin decided to make their relationship more serious in 2015 and have been together ever since, but in 2018, Ciara got in touch and asked if they wanted to form a three-way relationship.

Although Hayley had reservations about the idea, Devin was excited and she decided to give it a go.

The initial 12 months were difficult, with both girls' previous relationships with Devin making it hard for them to connect on the same level.

Hayley says that jealousy in a polyamorous relationship can turn small disagreements into massive flare ups, but by working on their individual relationships, the trio now get on well.

In 2019 Ciara moved in with Hayley and Devin and they now share a bed and all of their finances.

nkarafo

Nov 30, 2012
"Transgender man sues Amazon for pregnancy & gender identity discrimination"
He says they assigned him to lift heavy bags of dog food after he told them he was pregnant and they refused to believe him.

Yeah, let companies do more diversity hires like him. I'm sure they will thrive.

Aarbron

Jul 21, 2020
Melbourne artist’s bizarre project loses $25k taxpayer grant

This is fantastic stuff:

A Melbourne artist who was going to be paid $25,000 by the Federal Government to livestream her attempts to get pregnant by self-insemination has hit out at a decision to pull her funding.

Performance artist Casey Jenkins — whose previous works include ‘Casting off my womb’ where she knitted from a ball of wool inserted in her vagina — said her new project is “reconceptualising conception through a queer lens”.
Titled IMMACULATE, the project will see the 41-year-old perform monthly live self-inseminations with donor sperm, which she says will “elevate the experience of queer reproduction and disrupt heteronormative parenting narratives”.
She looks like a post-modern bogan.

Breakage

Mar 3, 2014
It's OK to give children of 10 puberty blockers': NHS gender identity clinic says some children understand sex so can consent to medication
  • Ruling hears three ten-year-olds have been given puberty-blockers in last year
  • One mum believes daughter’s desire to be male is due to Asperger’s syndrome
  • Keira Bell who took puberty-blocking drugs aged just 16 'deeply regrets' decision
The NHS gender identity clinic yesterday defended giving puberty-blocking drugs to children as young as ten.

Some young children are capable of consenting to being given the drugs because they already understand sexual concepts, judges were told.
On the second day of a landmark High Court hearing it was also revealed that three ten-year-olds have been given puberty-blockers after seeking treatment from doctors at the London clinic over the past year or so.

Around a quarter of patients given the drugs were 14 or under.
The case has been brought by a mother who is trying to prevent the clinic, run by the Tavistock and Portman NHS Trust, from giving puberty blockers to her 16-year-old daughter.

The drugs halt a child’s normal physical development during puberty, potentially making gender reassignment surgery easier later on.
The woman, who can only be called ‘Mrs A’ for legal reasons, fears her child will be fast-tracked for transgender medical treatment once she is seen by clinicians at the Gender Identity Development Service (GIDS) in London.

Mrs A believes her daughter’s desire to be male is driven by having Asperger’s syndrome, a mild form of autism.

She fears the GIDS will simply ‘affirm’ the girl’s belief that she is really a boy and wants the High Court to rule that hormone-blocker treatments for children under-18 should be subject to approval by the courts.

The case is also being brought by Keira Bell, 23, a former GIDS patient who took puberty-blocking and cross-sex hormone drugs as a 16-year-old to try to transition to a boy, but who now ‘deeply regrets’ undergoing the treatment.
Fenella Morris QC, representing the Tavistock, insisted yesterday that children as young as ten were capable of understanding any future consequences of starting puberty blockers.

She admitted such discussions with young children require ‘imagination’ because their life experience is ‘potentially limited’ and that the Tavistock ‘emphasises the autonomy of the child’.
But youngsters who question their biological gender often suffer anxiety and depression.

As a result, a decision not to give puberty blockers might ‘effectively be a decision to continue distress for the child’.
Asked what type of subjects are discussed with children by doctors while deciding whether they are mature enough to give consent to taking the drugs, she told the court: ‘If a patient was saying something along the lines of “I don’t understand what an erection is, I don’t understand what an orgasm is or how babies are made,” that individual does not have understanding which would allow them to make these choices.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com

“POLYAMOROUS THROUPLE”
Pregnant girlfriend who admits she struggled when her boyfriend's ex joined their relationship now wants him to have a baby with her too so that their children will grow up close
  • Hayley Hale, 22, fell pregnant seven months ago with boyfriend Devin Hale, 24
  • Although not planned, she now wants Devin to get their girlfriend Ciara DeJesus, 20, pregnant too
  • All three are in a polyamorous throuple relationship and have been since 2018
A woman in a polyamorous relationship who accidentally got pregnant has revealed she now wants her boyfriend to have a baby with his other girlfriend, too.
Trainee public accountant Hayley Hale, 22, from Cincinnati, Ohio, and psychology student Ciara DeJesus, 20, both spent their high school years casually dating receptionist Devin Hale, 24.

Hayley and Devin decided to make their relationship more serious in 2015 and have been together ever since, but in 2018, Ciara got in touch and asked if they wanted to form a three-way relationship.

Although Hayley had reservations about the idea, Devin was excited and she decided to give it a go.

The initial 12 months were difficult, with both girls' previous relationships with Devin making it hard for them to connect on the same level.

Hayley says that jealousy in a polyamorous relationship can turn small disagreements into massive flare ups, but by working on their individual relationships, the trio now get on well.

In 2019 Ciara moved in with Hayley and Devin and they now share a bed and all of their finances.

Harems can be sex-positive now, excellent.

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018

Police light gif - red | Police lights, Red warning light, Police

Fucking Yelp is already a scummy pay-to-play grift. This just makes them another step worse.

BigDeadFreak

Jul 7, 2018
This has gone beyond madness now. The government are ruining people's lives, the economy, our mental and physical health just to stop us getting the flu. Almost no one will die of it if they are relatively young and healthy.

Part of me is grateful that we don't have a Labour government full of left wing bedwetters as things would be even worse. However, Boris is far from the confident Conservative I hoped he would be.

My wife and I had coronavirus back in March. It was pretty nasty but hardly the end of the world. I was ill for a week and then a few more days of recovery and it was all back to normal. I don't see why I should be locked up like some PoW just because some (not all) scientists say so.

Breakage

Mar 3, 2014

'Smart' male chastity device can be controlled by hackers, users warned
Chinese firm advises owners to break open device with screwdriver ‘when nothing else works’

The maker of a “smart” male chastity device has recommended using a screwdriver to break it open after warnings it can be locked remotely by hackers.

The Bluetooth-controlled Cellmate device can only be unlocked via an app. Its manufacturer, the Chinese company Qiui, issued a video titled “When nothing else works”, showing the screwdriver fix.

The company’s founder and chief executive, Jake Guo, said it was “simply not true” that users could get stuck in the Cellmate, which is marketed both as an anti-cheating and submission sex play device.

It follows a warning from researchers that the Cellmate, which clamps a metal ring around the genitals, is vulnerable to being exploited by hackers who could lock them en masse, potentially trapping thousands of users.

“In case you cannot contact our customer support, the second option is to break open the Cellmate cap with a screwdriver or similar, as demonstrated in the video on our website,” Guo said in a statement sent to AFP. “This will allow you to remove the pin lock and device.”

He added: “Compared to Cellmate, wearing a traditional chastity cage – often made of steel – with a classic padlock is much riskier. If you lose the key, you actually would need a grinder or bolt-cutter to remove the cage.”

Alex Lomas of Pen Test Partners (PTP), which released the research report, questioned the screwdriver manoeuvre, wondering whether the required angle was possible while wearing a Cellmate. “Also, it’s a bit close for comfort!” he wrote on Twitter. “Have you tried this for real?”
PTP also found other security flaws in the Cellmate that could expose user information such as names, phone numbers, birthdays and location data.

Smart sex toys and devices are among a wave of new “internet of things” products and appliances introduced in recent years that can be operated remotely. But their connectivity has also made them vulnerable to security breaches and privacy violations.
To guard against hacks, Guo advised Cellmate users to remove the Qiui app on their phones and replace it with an updated version.

“Every modern device can potentially be hacked nowadays,” he said. “When a possible security leak with a game console, PC, smartphone or social media app is discovered and reported, people don’t seem to have the tendency to stop using them.”

Breakage

Mar 3, 2014
This advert's currently airing regularly across several free-to-air British TV channels owned by Channel Four TV Corporation:

Breakage

Mar 3, 2014

Princeton building named for Woodrow Wilson will be renamed to honor black alumna and hedge fund CEO Mellody Hobson who is married to Star Wars creator George Lucas
  • Princeton's former Wilson College will be replaced with a residential school named after businesswoman and philanthropist Mellody Hobson
  • Hobson College is the first on campus to be named after a black woman
  • Hobson, who is married to Star Wars creator George Lucas, was honored after their foundation made the lead gift on the building
  • The Ariel Investments co-CEO said she was proud her name would erase Wilson's racist legacy as the change was announced Thursday
  • Princeton has this sought to remove itself from Wilson, its 13th president
Princeton is replacing a residential college once named after 28th president Woodrow Wilson with a new one named for a black female alumna and major donor.
Mellody Hobson, who is married to Star Wars creator George Lucas, will become the first black woman to have a residential college on the prestigious campus named for her after she and the Hobson/Lucas Family Foundation made the lead gift on the building.

Hobson, who graduated from Princeton in 1991, said during yesterday's announcement that she was proud her name would 'erase Wilson's racist legacy'.

Wilson was not only president of the United States but Princeton's 13th president. The university has worked to remove itself from his 'racist thinking' this year following protests.

'I am so honored to be part of this historic moment for Princeton University,' Hobson, 51, said of the new college.

'No one in my family had graduated from college when I arrived on campus and yet, as I looked up at the buildings named after the likes of Rockefeller and Forbes, I felt at home.

'When I was approached last year about this opportunity, I was most compelled by the symbolism of a black woman replacing the name of someone who would not have supported my admission three decades ago and what that would represent for future generations,' the philanthropist and business woman added of Wilson.
'Education has the power to transform lives as it did mine. Hobson College will play an important role in telling every student especially those who are black and brown and first in their families, like me, that they belong in Princeton.'

She hit out at Wilson further by stating that the president 'failed to see that orange and black belong together', citing the Princeton colors.

In June, Princeton stripped Wilson's name from a public policy school, as well as the residential college that will now be replaced with Hobson College.

Breakage

Mar 3, 2014

Colonial legacy of Admiral Lord Nelson and the Royal Navy's links to slavery 'to be re-evaluated' by Greenwich Maritime Museum who plan to change their historical displays following the Black Lives Matter movement
  • The National Maritime Museum will change its Lord Horatio Nelson displays
  • All of the museum's displays will be reviewed to reveal British links to slavery
  • The statues of Sir William Sidney Smith and James de Saumarez will be changed
Lord Horatio Nelson's legacy will be reviewed by the National Maritime Museum as part of its efforts to challenge Britain's 'barbaric history of race and colonialism'.
The museum in Greenwich, London, holds the admiral lord's love letters and the coat he wore when he was killed during the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805.

Internal documents reveal the museum seeks to capitalise on the 'momentum built up by the Black Lives Matter movement' and address the Royal Navy's links to slavery.

Nelson displays will be changed to reflect their 'more complex' nature as part of the museum's strategy to reevaluate historical events.

The National Maritime Museum is seeking to communicate the 'often barbaric history of race, colonialism and representation in British maritime history', the Telegraph reported.

Issues raised by the Black Lives Matter movement will guide its new strategy, which will use a database to reveal Britain's links to slavery.

Statues of Royal Navy heroes including Admiral Edward Pellew have also been brought into the publicly-funded museum's review of Britain's naval past.
Royal Museums Greenwich director Paddy Rogers told staff the societal reassessment of colonial history after Edward Colston's statue was toppled in Bristol earlier this year provided the museum a 'moment to shine'.