• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harmonix/Hidden Path announce Chroma (Music Based F2P MP FPS), alpha signup [Trailer]

Why though? If Ubisoft can have a game with real guitar/bass and has singing as well, the only thing missing from it being the true evolution of Rock Band is a drum chart and the ability to connect an electronic drum set.

It's amazing to me that Ubisoft got there and Harmonix didn't. Was a really poor decision on Harmonix part to make the real guitar parts require the proprietary Squier on RB3. Because they were poised to steal Rocksmith's thunder if they had made it open to all guitars.

One of the biggest draws to the Rock Band series is the local co-op. I'm not sure how well that would translate to the PC, considering the facts that Rock Band uses unique controllers and that as of Rock Band 3, it can take up to seven players. Stable local co-op for seven players on a PC is probably gonna be tricky, especially for a rhythm game, and so is selling peripherals on a platform that thrives on digital distribution.

wildfire

Banned
"fast-paced PC shooter action"

If they are actually going to do a fast paced arena shooter it needs to be keyboard mouse focused first and foremost.

Thats part thats getting me hyped. If it was announced for multiplatform I wouldn't take the fast paces arena shooter talk seriously.

+100 points if it is a musical keyboard.

Honestly though a game like this could be incredibly bad but Harmonix technical prowess with Dance Central and making Kinect play as a good controller is making me willing to be excited for this.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Why though? If Ubisoft can have a game with real guitar/bass and has singing as well, the only thing missing from it being the true evolution of Rock Band is a drum chart and the ability to connect an electronic drum set.

It's amazing to me that Ubisoft got there and Harmonix didn't. Was a really poor decision on Harmonix part to make the real guitar parts require the proprietary Squier on RB3. Because they were poised to steal Rocksmith's thunder if they had made it open to all guitars.

Ubisoft was actually complaining about Rocksmith underperforming in their last report.

Roubjon

This will be the first FPS I touch in years. Rhythm based? Fuck yeah!

The concepts of the classes sound so freaking cool. This is my dream FPS right here.

It looks interesting, but PC only? F2P? Eh...

It's early alpha. I imagine once they have it at a point they consider "complete" they'll port it to consoles if it makes sense. I don't think the console crowd is quite ready for early access games (though that's not exactly what's going on here).

Rocksmith loses some things. It can read notes, but not frets/positions. It also has a slightly different primary goal of "teaching tool first, game second".

Bsigg12

wow you need a GTX 670 or higher for alpha? What the hell...

In big bold letters in the survey they say the game has not be optimized for the PC yet. I'm betting they just want to deter people with weaker rigs from trying to get in to ultimately complain the game runs like shit for them.

FACE

Banned
via alpha signup

Below you'll find our recommended PC specs for playing Chroma during Alpha. Please note that gameplay has not yet been optimized for most PCs.

Memory: 4GB RAM
Processor: Intel 3.0 GHz, AMD 3.0 GHz
Graphics card: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 670 / ATI Radeon HD 6800

A GTX 670 is far more powerful than a HD 68xx. Odd requirements, even if not yet optimized.

Island

Few things:

1. Dub-step-y music in the trailer, but the game will actually have a range of music. The current builds have both electronic music and rock.

2. Fantasia is still in development. It's really, really awesome. I'm biased, so don't take my word for it. But it's really unique. More on that again soon.

3. Rock Band isn't dead. We own and love that IP. Just kind of busy doing new stuff for the moment!

I think that's it for now. Glad to see you're all excited about this crazy weird thing we're making over here. Hope when you play it you dig it. We're looking forward to hearing feedback from players!
I Dont know if you work for Harmonix but you sound like you do.... please make Frequency 2!

Sai-kun

Banned
That trailer was raaadddddd. Dubstep all the way.

I'm imagining instead of having a choice of different maps, matches are distinguished by which song is playing.

I am hype.

SO EXCITE. Curious to know if the soundtrack will be locked or if you'll be able to import your own music. Or, considering this is a F2P game, I suppose it's possible track packs will become purchasable content. Certainly puts an interesting spin on how to balance your game for multiple types of music, if it's the last option--to keep the purchases "cosmetic only" you'd have to curate tracks with patterns roughly as "effective" as the built-in ones.

Just thinking about all the new ways to tweak the gameplay is awesome, though. I'm there day one.

vg260

Even if they added all the instruments to Rocksmith, it would still be a different beast because via the use of master tracks, RB had the feel of creating the music in-game. If you didn't play the note, it didn't play in-game. Rocksmith is like playing along to an mp3 with an animated tab interface. It would never really be an evolution in that regard. Two different things really. Most people dismiss the difference, but I find it quite significant. Rocksmith would never appeal to me as a game. The interactive element with the music isn't there. Rocksmith to me is like glorified tabs with an expensive, limited library of mp3s to play along with. If you want to learn one of those songs, it's a great tool though.

Anyway, signed up. Hopefully I'll get in if they use RB forum tenure as a criteria.

twofold

Hidden path (CSGO <3) + Harmonix doing some sort of crazy music FPS? Yes please.

You gotta remember that CSGO was pretty shitty before Valve took over development duties from Hidden Path. The game has gotten a lot better since beta.

Still, I'm cautiously optimistic. I hope they release some gameplay footage soon.

CamHostage

Joystiq said:
We recently had the chance to try out the alpha and the game is still finding its voice, with Harmonix representatives acknowledging this is the earliest the studio has ever shown a game.
Even joystiq is having a hard time faking excitement

I don't know if you understand what was going on with this announcement, because the game is early enough in development that the showing at DICE was partly for Harmonix to ask journalists, "Guys, do you think we really have a game here?" I'm sure they played it a lot internally to know that it was worth showing, but the game was (and might be still) as much a developing set of ideas as it is a product.

Concept sounds great. Two good developers as well. Looking forward to more news.

Can I get a Lars Ulrich Snare drum emitting SubMachine gun and a crunchy distortion fueled power chord shotgun? Thanks..

Top Bottom