• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harmonix Unveils Rock Band Network: Put Your Music In The Game

Tobor

The only thing I'm not sure about is separating the stores. It should all be together in one store, regardless of the possibility of amateur charting.

I'd hate to see bands get overlooked because their in the "other" store.

RBH

This could be really big for the music game genre.

Rock Band wins yet again.

BlueWord said:
Really awesome, hope to see some good stuff come out of this.

I do wonder why it's 360 exclusive, however... were the sales highest on the Xbox platform? Regardless, it doesn't seem to make much sense to limit their market like that.
Read the damn OP.

The video on the official site showed what I assume is the closed beta which seemed to feature 2137 available songs at time of filming and 2559 in the language section so there must be 422 songs in languages other than English.

Magik

I think the quality of the charts will turn out a lot better than we all think.

Don't most artists treat their music like their own children? I would think they would treat the charting process like that as well.

On top of that, the community is going vet the charts so if there's something that is way overboard or just wrong, they should catch it.

Talon

Win Butler and the fine folks at Arcade Fire: I beg you to submit your music to Harmonix. I don't know how the hell we'd work out your 7+ instrument monstrosity, but I just want to sing Rebellion.

You, too, Beirut, Grizzly Bear, Muse, Phoenix, Counting Crows, et al.

Mileena

Banned
Tobor said:
The only thing I'm not sure about is separating the stores. It should all be together in one store, regardless of the possibility of amateur charting.

I'd hate to see bands get overlooked because their in the "other" store.
But then how would they fuck over PS3? That's the reason they're in separate stores.

birdman said:
Oh yeah, it definitely will.

SUPER KAWAII.

I have the feeling, though, that I'll be sitting and waiting as tons of music I don't care about is released as my precious AFI, Interpol, Franz Ferdinand, Killers, and At the Drive-In albums go untouched. :(

This is dictated by the labels right, not the fans? Well maybe some Killers stuff will be released in a tidy fashion.

Some questions Harmonix answered on the Rock Band forums:

To what extent are the options, if you can say? Can someone release a song that is only vocals and bass? Can someone release a song that is only guitar? What is the base requirement number of parts?
Harmonix: Let's say I have a song that's just Spanish guitar. I can put that on RBN.

Do the people at HMX review the chart before releasing it onto the marketplace? Just to make sure it's ok?
Harmonix: We'll be checking out every song but more importantly, everyone in the RBN creator's club will be reviewing and green lighting songs before they get pushed to the store.

InaudibleWhispa said:
To what extent are the options, if you can say? Can someone release a song that is only vocals and bass? Can someone release a song that is only guitar? What is the base requirement number of parts?
Harmonix: Let's say I have a song that's just Spanish guitar. I can put that on RBN.
DOES THIS MEAN IT CAN BE DEATH FROM ABOVE 1979 SEXYTIME SOON?!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
GAH when I saw the thread title I thought it was some system they made where you could play a song into the mic and then have the game create a charted version for you. Whoops. FAIL. Still don't know why neither game has come out with that.

AstroLad said:
GAH when I saw the thread title I thought it was some system they made where you could play a song into the mic and then have the game create a charted version for you. Whoops. FAIL. Still don't know why neither game has come out with that.
Certainly worked well for Lips. :\

Wow. Somehow I always thought something like this would emerge on the PC space somehow---so much for that guess.

I see nothing but good things in this for metal and instrumental stuff in time.

I wonder how game soundtracks and the like might work into this...?

vg260

AstroLad said:

maybe because that would not be realistically possible.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
One thing I really hope comes out of this is that songs with lead and rhythm guitar parts will largely get their rhythm part charted rather than the bass part (unless the bass chart is more interesting). That's the only thing I really hate about RB, always forcing the bass part when there's a more enjoyable alternative.

i suggested this a few months back, with apple instead of EA, and i was nearly castrated by anti-apple mod squad, guitar hero fanboys, etc

funny how people suddenly changed their mind about what a great idea this was

tehrik-e-insaaf said:
i suggested this a few months back, with apple instead of EA, and i was nearly castrated by anti-apple mod squad, guitar hero fanboys, etc

funny how people suddenly changed their mind about what a great idea this was
Did you talk about doing it through a Mac, or am I remembering wrong?

Top Bottom