• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harry Potter and the Title of the Seventh Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

tehjaybo

bjork said:
neither does the concept of kids flying around on brooms and shit

:lol :lol :lol

That type of thing always pissed me off, like with video games.

"Oh man, Zelda is okay and everything, but it just doesn't look real enough to me".
No shit sherlock, I don't think there are giant ****ing plants trying to eat people, nor are there people that can ****ing transform into wolves and shit.

But man, if Harry
dies, I'm gonna shit myself. Be wrong. YOU BETTER BE WRONG.
Not something I want to see.

I'm just hoping this book surpasses the others in awesomeness. I loved the others, but I want this to be fapworthy.
IE. Hot Cho Chang sex scenes plz.
:lol :D :lol

Meier

bjork said:
neither does the concept of kids flying around on brooms and shit

That made me laugh. :lol For whatever reason, I'm not all that excited by this news.. but I still can't wait for the book.

FnordChan

Well, let's see what the OED has to say.

Fist off,
"deathly"
. Frankly,
"deadly"
sounds a lot better and means kinda the same thing, but I'm sure JKR had a very specific reason for wanting to use that particular word. It must be the obsolete definition:
Subject to death, mortal.

As for
"hallow"
, I'm guessing she'll use another obsolete definition:
The parts of the hare given to hounds as a reward or encouragement after a successful chase.

Combine the two, and I believe we'll get something kinda like this for Book Seven:

Chapter One

One fine moonlit evening, Harry Potter and Remus Lupin, who had transformed into a werewolf, were out hunting rabbits. They spotted one cute lil' bunny sitting out in the opening. However, before Remus could run up, grab it by the throat, and shake it until it's neck was broken, the rabbit keeled over.

The pair ran up to examine the bunny. "It's dead!", Harry exclaimed. "Well, I guess that makes it easier for us. Come on, we'll be having rabbit stew for breakfast!"

They went back to Hogwarts, where Harry cast skinius gutimus to clean their catch. "Here Remus," he said, "you'll get the hallow!" Remus sniffed at the organs placed before him, then raised a quizical, shaggy eyebrow at the heart before gobbling it up.

The next day, Harry asked Remus - now back in his human form - how he liked the hallow. "It was pretty decent," said Remus, "except for the heart, which tasted funny. I think it was diseased, which explains why it was so deathly to our prey."

"Huh," said Harry.

Later, a distraught Voldemort cried out, "My beloved pet rabbit, Fiver, dead! Alas!" and propmtly committed suicide, thus ending the war.

THE END

FnordChan

Link is invalid. I'll believe it when Rowling says it.

I absolutely cannot wait for this book. There's so much stuff that HAS to happen in it. I mean, I believe Harry will go back to school
possibly after talking to Dumbledore's portrait...
, which means the book will be split into many parts. What we no so far about book 7:

-Harry will go to Bill and Fleur's wedding pretty early in the book
-He'll turn of age
-He'll visit Godric's Hollow

That's the core stuff that's fact. But there's a lot of stuff left. For instance, is Harry going to return to Grimwauld, and possibly start his horcruxes hunt there? Reading back on OOTP reveals that the house has at least one horcrux in it (the locket Harry and Ron couldn't open while cleaning up the house).

But how will Harry go to school and search for the horcruxes, outside of the ones he finds before the school year starts? In HBP he was able to search for them with Dumbledore at night without compromising his studies (The Cave), so perhaps he'll do it that way.

Can't. ****ing. Wait.

And finally,
SNAPE IS A GOODGUY

Bit-Bit

So that title makes no sense to me. And I'm quite the observer when it comes to reading the Harry Potter books. The only think that has to do with Hallow that I can think of is Godric Hallow. Where Harry's parents were killed.
Maybe that's where the final horcruxe is.

Harry Potter and the
the books are targeted for kids you bastards...The story will be simple and predictible harry isnt going to die Snapes will turn out to be a good guy he might sacrifice himself EVERYONE will be happy THE END

FnordChan

Cyan said:
That's true. What are the odds of an important character that everyone likes getting killed off? I mean, these books are for kids.

Pretty high; I have it on good authority that book seven is being ghost-written by George R. R. Martin.

Fnordchan

What a terrible title. :(

Pretty much guarantees that Rowling is going to continue writing in the Harry Potter Universe; you don't end your series with that kind of a title.

SantaC

Cyan said:
That's true. What are the odds of an important character that everyone likes getting killed off? I mean, these books are for kids.

the books are for adults also. My older sister likes em a lot.

Cyan said:
I was being sarcastic. If you've read any of the recent books, you know Rowling has no fear of killing off characters.

Hell, I'm an adult and I love the books.

You think that was a death? pfft side chracters like that die all the time read some of the prydain chronicles side characters died all the time(also a childrens book but better than HArry potter). I am talking about one of the main characters dying. The main 3 will be alive and well.

Have little interest in Harry Potter, but the movies have been surprisingly decent. High hopes.

baxterll6.jpg

Looks like my lost little pup :(

bill0527

If Rowling kills Potter,
, she could very well be one of the most evil author's I've ever seen.

She's said that
one of the 3 kids has to die
, but Harry's been through enough already.

I just finished the Half-Blood Prince and I was pissed off because of what happened at the end. I will say this about her... she's got balls.

The title makes sense to me though because Godric's Hollow was the place where Harry's mom and dad were hiding just before they were killed. Harry probably has his final showdown with Voldemort there.

Kabuki Waq said:
Harry Potter and the
the books are targeted for kids you bastards...The story will be simple and predictible harry isnt going to die Snapes will turn out to be a good guy he might sacrifice himself EVERYONE will be happy THE END

The only even semi-predictable book so far in the HP series was book 6 (Dumbledore's death). That's it.

They aren't kid books. They're far, far, far deeper than that.

Kids can read and enjoy them on one level, but it takes an adult mind to truly understand and appreciate their depth. (Kinda like Narnia in that sense)

nintendorly said:
The only even semi-predictable book so far in the HP series was book 6 (Dumbledore's death). That's it.

They aren't kid books. They're far, far, far deeper than that.

Kids can read and enjoy them on one level, but it takes an adult mind to truly understand and appreciate their depth. (Kinda like Narnia in that sense)
qft

The books are in many ways a snapshot of the childhood/school years, but the latter books introduce many issues that simply are not "kiddy". There certainly wasn't anything childish about the ending of Half Blood Prince, or the ending of OOTP for that matter.

bill0527

=W= said:
what? when did she say this?

Its been on several of the Harry Potter sites and this is from the Wikipedia. I thought it
only one of the characters, but I guess its actually 2 of them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_potter_book_7

Heavy spoilers there...

* There are indications that at least two of the main characters will die. In a June 2006 interview about the previously-written ending, Rowling stated that:
o "One character got a reprieve, but I have to say two die that I didn't intend to die...A price has to be paid. We are dealing with pure evil...They go for the main characters, or I do".[23]

* When further questioned in June 2006 about authors who kill off their main characters, Rowling said "I can completely understand, however, the mentality of an author who thinks, well, I'm going to kill them off because that means there can be no non-author-written sequels'

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Remember with the book where some dude dies, some guy fom OA showed up and posted a picture with that passage underlined? That's going to be oh so much worse when it happens again.

catfish said:
Remember with the book where some dude dies, some guy fom OA showed up and posted a picture with that passage underlined? That's going to be oh so much worse when it happens again.

Always blaming OA... :(

=W=

bill0527 said:
Its been on several of the Harry Potter sites and this is from the Wikipedia. I thought it

Heavy spoilers there...

* There are indications that at least two of the main characters will die. In a June 2006 interview about the previously-written ending, Rowling stated that:
o "One character got a reprieve, but I have to say two die that I didn't intend to die...A price has to be paid. We are dealing with pure evil...They go for the main characters, or I do".[23]

* When further questioned in June 2006 about authors who kill off their main characters, Rowling said "I can completely understand, however, the mentality of an author who thinks, well, I'm going to kill them off because that means there can be no non-author-written sequels'
That's not referring to
Harry, Ron or Hermione. None of them will die. I will eat my shoes if any of them do.
She just won't do it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Killing off main characters is nothing new. In the Chronicles of Narnia
Everyone died technically in the end, except for Susan

tehjaybo

PhoenixDark said:
Link is invalid. I'll believe it when Rowling says it.

I absolutely cannot wait for this book. There's so much stuff that HAS to happen in it. I mean, I believe Harry will go back to school
possibly after talking to Dumbledore's portrait...
, which means the book will be split into many parts. What we no so far about book 7:

-Harry will go to Bill and Fleur's wedding pretty early in the book
-He'll turn of age
-He'll visit Godric's Hollow

That's the core stuff that's fact. But there's a lot of stuff left. For instance, is Harry going to return to Grimwauld, and possibly start his horcruxes hunt there? Reading back on OOTP reveals that the house has at least one horcrux in it (the locket Harry and Ron couldn't open while cleaning up the house).

But how will Harry go to school and search for the horcruxes, outside of the ones he finds before the school year starts? In HBP he was able to search for them with Dumbledore at night without compromising his studies (The Cave), so perhaps he'll do it that way.

Can't. ****ing. Wait.

And finally,
SNAPE IS A GOODGUY

After reading the Sixth book, Brandonh83, Bloodwake, and I all sat down and had a little talk about what we thought might happen. My side of it went something like this:

I believe that Dumbledore faked his own death. Well, not FAKED, but he had a backup plan. He needed someone on the inside, so he had Snape kill him. I believe, however, that he has a horcrux. Dumbledore would go to any length to fight evil, he's said that repeatedly. And with all this talk of horcruxes, I believe it may have unearthed something that Dumbledore did in the past.

I personally believe that Fawkes is a horcrux for Dumbledore. It's said that in order to make a Horcrux, you must put part of yourself into whatever it is. Fawkes had an unmistakable link to Dumbledore, and I believe that's how.

I think that since Snape's original betrayal, and after he came back to the good side, Dumbledore had been looking for a way to get him back in with Voldemort. This would be the perfect crime, as Dumbledore would be considered dead, and Voldemort would start being more open about his whereabouts, as Dumbledore was "the only wizard he feared". This would allow the Order a huge secret weapon in the war.

Again, just my thoughts. All non-confirmed. Comments?

Bit-Bit

tehjaybo said:
After reading the Sixth book, Brandonh83, Bloodwake, and I all sat down and had a little talk about what we thought might happen. My side of it went something like this:

I believe that Dumbledore faked his own death. Well, not FAKED, but he had a backup plan. He needed someone on the inside, so he had Snape kill him. I believe, however, that he has a horcrux. Dumbledore would go to any length to fight evil, he's said that repeatedly. And with all this talk of horcruxes, I believe it may have unearthed something that Dumbledore did in the past.

I personally believe that Fawkes is a horcrux for Dumbledore. It's said that in order to make a Horcrux, you must put part of yourself into whatever it is. Fawkes had an unmistakable link to Dumbledore, and I believe that's how.

I think that since Snape's original betrayal, and after he came back to the good side, Dumbledore had been looking for a way to get him back in with Voldemort. This would be the perfect crime, as Dumbledore would be considered dead, and Voldemort would start being more open about his whereabouts, as Dumbledore was "the only wizard he feared". This would allow the Order a huge secret weapon in the war.

Agreed on everything except the Dumbledore Horcrux part. He's already stated that it takes someone of pure evil to do that. Maybe there is another version of it on the pure good side? But otherwise, everything else I thought the same since I read Half Blood Prince.

HARRY POTTER DORK TIME:

The
deathly hallows
referred to in the title are most likely
the horcruxes
. The HP site Leaky Cauldron has been going nuts over this, and I think they might have found
another horcrux referenced
in BOOK ONE of all places.

Explanation:

Hallows are the objects sought by Holy Grail questers, which usually involve a spear/stick/pole, a sword, a cup, and a stone/pentacle. These are also the four tarot card suits. Not a coincidence. And of course, book 6 was filled with explicit tarot references, use of the cards, lightning-struck tower.

Now, someone noticed this before, and speculated that the four horcruxes that belonged to the four Hogwarts founders correspond to these suits. We already know Gryffindor's is the sword, Slytherin's locket (pentacle), Hufflepuff's cup. So Ravenclaw would be a spear or a stick. Or a wand. And there's a part in book one where Harry sees a single wand laid out on a faded purple pillow in the window of Ollivander's shop. And the shop was raided in book 6.

This would be kind of a wild theory EXCEPT for the use of "hallows" in the title now, which is linked really strongly to tarot.

I didn't come up with any of this, I just spent the morning reading about it. Links to all the references are here.

GIVE ME THIS BOOK NOW

RSP

he will probably get killed and re-incarnate right into a super-saiyan.

KAME HAME HOCUS POCUS HAAAAAAA

Fireblend

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
HARRY POTTER DORK TIME:

The
deathly hallows
referred to in the title are most likely
the horcruxes
. The HP site Leaky Cauldron has been going nuts over this, and I think they might have found
another horcrux referenced
in BOOK ONE of all places.

Explanation:

Hallows are the objects sought by Holy Grail questers, which usually involve a spear/stick/pole, a sword, a cup, and a stone/pentacle. These are also the four tarot card suits. Not a coincidence. And of course, book 6 was filled with explicit tarot references, use of the cards, lightning-struck tower.

Now, someone noticed this before, and speculated that the four horcruxes that belonged to the four Hogwarts founders correspond to these suits. We already know Gryffindor's is the sword, Slytherin's locket (pentacle), Hufflepuff's cup. So Ravenclaw would be a spear or a stick. Or a wand. And there's a part in book one where Harry sees a single wand laid out on a faded purple pillow in the window of Ollivander's shop. And the shop was raided in book 6.

This would be kind of a wild theory EXCEPT for the use of "hallows" in the title now, which is linked really strongly to tarot.

I didn't come up with any of this, I just spent the morning reading about it. Links to all the references are here.

GIVE ME THIS BOOK NOW

:O That's really interesting. I love how people start speculating with the most subtle hint J.K. gives and how all kind of wild theories start popping up; I always enjoy reading them once there's a week or so left for the book to come out; it's awesome how people can link stuff between the books so well.

I can't wait for this book. I need to know if
Dumbledore is really dead and Snape is really a bad guy; I won't give my opinion on the matter simply because I haven't read the book in ages, but I'm really interested in how Snape is gonna act on the next book

:O I'm excited about this now.

bill0527 said:

Heavy spoilers there...

No no no, this is completely off. She did say two characters that she hadn't originally intended to die WILL die, one she HAD intended to will NOT. However, the fact that two characters are gonna die in book 7 is no shock to HP fans.

Actually, far more than two characters will die in book seven. It's going to be a blood bath. All she said there was that she just added two more to the chopping roster.

And she never said "Harry's been through enough, so he can't die". She's actually hinted that he may die, and I'm sort of expecting it--from the clues, it seems the only way to kill Voldemort may be for Harry to sacrifice himself.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Kobun Heat said:
And there's a part in book one where Harry sees a single wand laid out on a faded purple pillow in the window of Ollivander's shop. And the shop was raided in book 6.

That's cool, I assumed they raided the shop just to abduct Ollivander to make him construct a new wand for Voldemort.

bjork

hay guyz I was kidding

I believe in the power of the ultimate warrior, of course I know people can really fly brooms if they've been hit with the power by the gods above

tehjaybo said:

Rowling said Dumbledore is dead for good and she doesn't want to pull a Gandalf/Aslan. My brother also believes your theory though.

Kobun's post is VERY interesting. Although I simply don't believe the founders of Hogwarts outside of Slytherin would create a horcrux. Dumbledore has killed in the past, but I doubt he made a horcrux either.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
PhoenixDark said:
Although I simply don't believe the founders of Hogwarts outside of Slytherin would create a horcrux. Dumbledore has killed in the past, but I doubt he made a horcrux either.

I think "the four horcruxes that belonged to the four founders" refers to the horcruxes made by Voldemort himself out of the founders' memorabilia.

bill0527

nintendorly said:
No no no, this is completely off. She did say two characters that she hadn't originally intended to die WILL die, one she HAD intended to will NOT. However, the fact that two characters are gonna die in book 7 is no shock to HP fans.

She said two of the MAIN characters. To me, that indicates any combination of
Ron, Hermoine, and Harry. Those are the only MAIN characters left. Other possibilities, who I don't consider main characters would be Draco Malfoy, Hagrid, and Snape. Those are really the only people left who would be considered important IMO and I'm sure Malfoy and Snape will be a big part of book 7.

And yes I belive that Dumbledore is dead for good. Rowling said in an interview I read last week that she wasn't going to pull a Gandalf with him and she made profound apologizes to the people that started the Dumbledoredoesnotdie.com website. Its possible that he may show up in a portrait.

I also think the title does not refer to horcruxes directly. Possilbly the location of a Horcrux, but I think its referring to Godric's Hollow where Harry's mom and dad were in hiding before they died. We also know that Harry will be returning to that place in Book 7.

SyNapSe

here si what I got out of the last book

Snape is good.. clearly and one of Harry's last helpers. Dumbledore is dead, and it 's the whole point of all the books. Slowly, everyone Harry has relied on for protection has been removed.. now it's just him and his friends. A right of passage so to speak, but I till sthink Snape will help in some way and I wouldn't be surprised if he delivers some last word from Dumbledore.

Personally, I think Harry = horcrux. The last one in fact and he needs to go in order for old voldy to go. It jives with the predictions, Harry's parents were the scrafice, explains why he has some of Voldy's abilities, being "marked", and the whole bound by fate. Why's he trying to kill him then? 'Cause, Voldy's tired of being a half dead zombie ghost thing, he's probably figured out a way to return his piece of soul to himself, but he needs to kill harry and cast a spell. It's magic <razzle-dazzle>

Alt. maybe instead of trying to get the piece back, Voldy botched the job and making another wizard a horcrux transfers/drains the original's powers. Thst is the longer Harry lives the more he absorbs Voldy's power and he fades aways, so to stop the process he's trying to take out harry.

Yeah, I don't buy it either... I just wanted to say something.

bill0527 said:
She said two of the MAIN characters. To me, that indicates any combination of
Ron, Hermoine, and Harry. Those are the only MAIN characters left. Other possibilities, who I don't consider main characters would be Draco Malfoy, Hagrid, and Snape. Those are really the only people left who would be considered important IMO and I'm sure Malfoy and Snape will be a big part of book 7.

And yes I belive that Dumbledore is dead for good. Rowling said in an interview I read last week that she wasn't going to pull a Gandalf with him and she made profound apologizes to the people that started the Dumbledoredoesnotdie.com website. Its possible that he may show up in a portrait.

I also think the title does not refer to horcruxes directly. Possilbly the location of a Horcrux, but I think its referring to Godric's Hollow where Harry's mom and dad were in hiding before they died. We also know that Harry will be returning to that place in Book 7.

Two main characters doesn't mean Ron/Harry/Hermoine.
She said the same thing about OOTP and Sirius died; he was a "main" character, but not apart of the big 3 so to speak. A main character could be anyone from Hagrid to Mr. Weasly; if I had to bet I'd say Harry, Ron, and Hermoine will survive. I would also bet that Lupin, Snape, Wormtale, and maybe Mr. Weasly die.

I think you're correct about the title referring to Godric's Hollow. Harry is going to visit that place early in the book, perhaps after or before the wedding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom