• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harvey Weinstein's contract with TWC allowed for sexual harassment, as long he paid

so far it's been like watching this snowball get bigger and bigger, and when you think it'll hit a tree and crumble, it just keeps fucking going
Weird how life works. This type of enviornment has been looming in Hollywood for ages completely unchallenged, and now we may be witnessing a dynamic shift out of nowhere.

Like... even if the TMZ story turns out to be fake news or whatever, this is so laughable that no one could possibly believe this. Among the board was Harvey's own brother, but sure, he didn't know his brother did any of that?

Fuck you

No, he knew. He said Harvey told him he'd get better when he didn't. He didn't do anything because ousting his brother before the stories came out like this would have been bad for the company. They all thought he'd keep getting away with it.

"No wonder women were afraid to come forward."

Women are afraid to tell the police the nigga down the street who works at IHOP raped them. They may get away with more, but it ain't just the rich and powerful getting away with it.

Woo-Fu

Banned
It's a good reminder that in general employers don't care about protecting employees from harassment. They care about not being held liable.

They have a responsibility to their shareholders to care about being held liable, particularly when the company takes a hit regardless of the veracity of the claims.

It is going to happen regardless of how much training, how much employee screening, how much education you do as a company. Sooner or later somebody is going to cross the line. Companies have to be prepared.

In this particular case everybody in Hollywood knew about this guy. No surprise his board did too. When you have district attorneys unwilling to bring a case what do you expect the board to do, kill the goose that lays the golden eggs themselves? Not likely until the pile of shit gets bigger than the pile of gold.

HeySeuss

Jesus how much of a fucking sexual deviant does one have to be for your employer to say "well we can't stop you from being a fucking predator, so any time one of your victims gets brave enough to actually sue us, you pay the fine and we're good".

Holy shit this dude is going to be a bigger sleaze than Cosby when this all comes out.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
How is this even legal? All it does is encourage the behavior.

The cap on the fines is the insane part because it means Weinstein had to argue that increasing his fine for a potential fifth(!!!) offense would be unfair.

And they agreed!

How is this even legal? All it does is encourage the behavior.

It's legal because there's nothing that says that these payoffs are supposed to be for illegal things. Remember, supposedly the board (and many people in Hollywood) basically thought he was sleeping with these women with consent, and paying them off to not tell their stories to the tabloids/gossip rags (because high powered probably married producer sleeping with hot young actresses and giving them parts in movies still isn't a story you want coming out about the head of your company).

Vibranium

Banned
Goddamn. Hollywood culture and power is just pure shit. The entire board should be swept away. I know many people still get away with things but my hope is that more of this stuff is brought to light.

So we know big Hollywood people are a bunch of rapists with all that power, how about we write up a clause to keep them working?

Jeez Louise.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I don't have words to describe how shocking and revolting this is. A contract for sexual assault. Simply unfathomable before I read that.

I wonder how common this is. Or how much more shocked we could be with someone else contract.

They have a responsibility to their shareholders to care about being held liable, particularly when the company takes a hit regardless of the veracity of the claims.

It is going to happen regardless of how much training, how much employee screening, how much education you do as a company. Sooner or later somebody is going to cross the line. Companies have to be prepared.

In this particular case everybody in Hollywood knew about this guy. No surprise his board did too. When you have district attorneys unwilling to bring a case what do you expect the board to do, kill the goose that lays the golden eggs themselves? Not likely until the pile of shit gets bigger than the pile of gold.
Right, from their perspective it makes sense to do this. It's a systemic problem with government not providing the balance.

gogosox82

Wow, I mean that just... I have no words for this. They just completely legitimized his behavior. Really gross. I honestly hope he goes after TWC and they have to shut down. Disgusting.

Wow, I am really shocked by this because I thought big businesses were run on a distinct moral code and not dictated by financial risk. This is truly shocking.

This is literally if came up on an episode of Entourage or some other parody of Hollywood would be seen as going too far as a joke.

Top Bottom