• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has any other game being dismissed in the past and became as appreciated today as DOOM 64?

anthraticus

Banned
Godhand the thread.
Wasn't it just one
yLvNHqS.png
ign review though ? whoop de do.

Game is great...it couldn't have had bad reviews across the board.

Loke

I thought it had good reviews at least, the jump to 60+fps and popularity of DOOM 2016 probably helpedđź‘Ś.

Doom 64 started to get recognition before that especially around 2008 when Doom 64 EX by Kaiser was released which was a pretty big deal since you didn't need to rely on the console or an emulator anymore to play it.

Futaleufu

I played Doom 64 last year, maybe for console players of that era it was a big deal, compared to the PC FPS games of that era it's an average game.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Windwaker got plenty of praise back then. It was only years later when people started to admit that it didn't have enough dungeons and fishing for Triforce was the absolute shits. It's the worst 3D Zelda.

nkarafo

I played Doom 64 last year, maybe for console players of that era it was a big deal, compared to the PC FPS games of that era it's an average game.
The topic is about the game not being a big deal for either at the time.

Afterwards it got the appreciation it deserved though. PC players were the first who noticed with the highly successful and popular DOOM EX project.

TwiztidElf

As per the "there are no good modern arcade racers anymore" thread.
Blur is now getting the love it always deserved.
Wreckfest is the new kid on the block. It was my personal 2019 goty, so its nice to see it getting the attention is deserves finally.

I'd put DmC: Devil May Cry up there.

Especially in comparison to Rising, which many praised as the infinitely better game in 2013. Almost seems like the opposite now.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Interesting. Doesnt match with me.
I remember always thinking it was the best version of old school Doom.
I rented this game like mad back in the day.

JCK75

Doom 64's revival is helped by now being able to see without cranking the brightness up to 100 on your tv.

This always happens with Pokémon games.

In this very forum people were talking shit about Pokémon Black and White (and their sequels) at time. And today they are considered the best ones (by people who usually do not play these games, go figure).

Last edited:

Butch_0451

Maybe not on the same level, but I think Prey (2017) only got the recognition it deserves years after its release.
As far as systems go it’s Arkane’s most immersive sim game yet, the problem I had with the game and why I stopped playing it are is the shitty loading screen time. You are travelling between different areas constantly and to do that you have to endure the painstakingly long loading screens, it just killed the pacing of the game for me.

Ceadeus

1xNHfno.jpg

I remember gamepro magazine giving Doom64 5.0 review, praising the game. The review was the page right before Turok review which was given 5.0 too!

I can think of Demon's Souls getting sad reviews at the time. Also Monster Hunter Freedom.

Sometime, critics just fail to see through true potential and novelty and also fail to adapt to new styles. They lack versatility.

SSfox

Okami, and God Hand.

I will never forget when i see that IGN gave 3/10 to God Hand, i was already not caring much about game scoring but this was like so nonsens above all of what i though, i almost feel empathy for the people that still buy games based on scores.

Demon souls got great reviews though, magazine i read at the time gave it 10/10
That was after the original release, though. When the game first came out in Japan it got middling reviews and Shuhei Yoshida himself famously thought it was crap. The only reason it later got North American and European releases was due to positive word of mouth from players who had imported Asian copies of the game.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
There is no universe in the multiverse where TWW was dismissed at release. If anything, it’s overrated today as it was back then.

Doom 64 was “more Doom” and a 2D game in the year Goldeneye changed console shooters forever. Doom was already old news in 1997, the market and press were pushing even the worst 3D graphics like the second coming of Christ, and a lot of people had relegated 2D to the past forever.

I don’t have reviews at hand, but I can easily imagine Symphony of the Night not getting glowing reviews for the same reasons.

Even though I don't particularly like the game myself, the first one I think about is the original Nier. Got crushed pretty hard by some reviewers but definitely found an audience.

Also, more than another Driveclub: the thread, this is either Pokémon Black and White: the thread, or an Emerald / whole third gen one

Shitstorms back then, now everywhere is full of people praising the games? What the hell?!

Last edited:

Banned
I know that everyone I knew disliked MegaMan Legends at the time of release... including me. I played the beginning of it back then and absolutely hated it.

more than a decade later Kyle Bosman releases a video on GameTrailers about Tron Bonne (a spin-off game to Legends) and I was intrigued...
so I loaded MM Legends and Tron Bonne onto my PSPgo and started playing them... and I loved them.

also Wind Waker is a very obvious candidate

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
hd remake GIF

I always forget how wrong that dude is about certain things.
Jeff was extremely harsh on games of that era(PS1/N64/Saturn). I respected his opinions even though I didn't always agree because to be fair most of them ran at poor framerates and looked like ass.

V4skunk

Banned
I remember borrowing doom64 from a friend back in the day.
I liked the game but it was over shadowed by Quake2 at the time.

Banned
Jeff was extremely harsh on games of that era(PS1/N64/Saturn). I respected his opinions even though I didn't always agree because to be fair most of them ran at poor framerates and looked like ass.

yeah people forget that these games ran like absolute ass and played like ass on that controller. this is not the 120fps mouse controls version we know these days

Last edited:

Futaleufu

lol, Nope.

It's not always a dick measuring contest between games either.

Solid game in 2021 which means it was a solid game in 97.
By 1997 it had to compete with games like Blood, Shadow Warrior, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, Turok and Hexen II, all better more innovative games.

People acting like Doom 64 was among the best FPS of the era are revisionists Nintendo fanboys.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
By 1997 it had to compete with games like Blood, Shadow Warrior, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, Turok and Hexen II, all better more innovative games.

People acting like Doom 64 was among the best FPS of the era are revisionists Nintendo fanboys.
It didn't need to compete with half of those as they were not available for consoles. Also, Doom 64 became popular because of Doom 64 EX, a port done to the PC. This has nothing to do with historical revisionism. As OP pointed out, the game receiving better reviews now than back then speaks volumes.

Banned
It didn't need to compete with half of those as they were not available for consoles. Also, Doom 64 became popular because of Doom 64 EX, a port done to the PC. This has nothing to do with historical revisionism. As OP pointed out, the game receiving better reviews now than back then speaks volumes.

but Duke Nukem 3D is a game that came out at the time and a game that was WAY better. Doom 64 is liked these days because it is a somewhat classic style Doom game. it is the retro appeal that people like about it.

and while it wasn't a bad game, there were games at the time that actually did new things and had way more elaborate and innovative Leveldesign etc.
while Doom 64 is basically the same old Doom only that it now ran in a new engine. which isn't a bad thing but at the time, when the retro appeal was not there, it was somewhat underwhelming

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
but Duke Nukem 3D is a game that came out at the time and a game that was WAY better. Doom 64 is liked these days because it is a somewhat classic style Doom game. it is the retro appeal that people like about it.
Games like Quake or Turok did a whole lot more on the technical side of things and I also would agree that Duke 3D or Blood are better games (I also like those games better than vanilla Doom tbh), however, Doom 64 managed to hold its own over the years and going back to it it's just a very well made shooter. Aesthetically it aged very well and gameplay-wise it is classic Doom. The soundtrack is very dense too. I think a lot of critics back then failed to see the game as its own entity and were too biased because of titles like Quake and Turok so they didn't give Doom 64 a fair shot. Nowadays that doesn't matter much anymore though.

nkarafo

Doom 64 is liked these days because it is a somewhat classic style Doom game. it is the retro appeal that people like about it.
It's not just that though.

Doom 64 is appreciated today in the N64 scene because it's a technically more advanced DOOM game than any of the other console ports and even the PC version as well. It has very complex level design with no compromises, more so than DOOM 2 even, while the other console ports had to make sacrifices to the original levels, runs smoother than all N64 fps games (basically, it's perfect 30fps at all times) and actually uses the hardware to push the DOOM engine further (it's still the same engine).

Games like Turok and Goldeneye are more advanced, of course, but unlike DOOM 64, they have been surpassed by modern 3D FPS standards and their technical faults are showing. Turok is now mostly known for it's fog and Goldeneye for it's unstable frame rate. Which is bullshit IMO but that's how it is. DOOM 64 on the other hand is still the most advanced classic DOOM that was released officially. It has the complex architecture and labyrinthine design a DOOM game needs but dialed to 11, all the monsters a DOOM game needs and the speed/smoothness a DOOM game needs. People even consider it as the real DOOM 3. It's a DOOM without faults (except for the stupid shotgun reload animations missing).

Last edited:
Pre-COVID, Death Stranding is a boring walking simulator.

Post-COVID, Death Stranding is the kind of game we need right now.

Top Bottom