• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has anybody found themselves getting far TOO emotionally attached to a game's story?

wvnative

Tales from the borderlands was free on xbox live last month, I enjoy telltale's work, imo they have few misses. (although guardians was... not their best work)

I never liked the borderlands games, those loot type games aren't for me. But imagine my surprise upon finishing this on Sunday night, realizing this might have been the best game they've ever done, and how DEVASTATED I was that it was over. Character chemistry was on point, and I think the comedic tone helped make the more emotional parts stand out a lot more. We bond with people/characters through laughter anyways. Excellent work from the cast, and those opening scenes from each episode were phenomenal. Gortys was adorable, and loader bot is my favorite bodyguard ever.

After getting booted to the title screen after the last episode, I thought "well, telltale makes sequels to everything they do, so let me google when season 2 is coming"

"Tales from the borderlands was deemed a failure by upper management..."

tenor.gif

Since reading that on Sunday night, I haven't been able to think straight. It even distracted me during the last jedi. I am legit DEPRESSED, and like, I shouldn't feel this way over a damn game, especially a telltale game of all things. What the hell makes us feel this way? I think I enjoyed this game a little TOO much.

Has anyone been this affected by either a lack of a sequel, or something in an actual game's plot? Anything to do with gaming qualifies.

royox

Ending Mass Effect trilogy left me a void in my heart for a whole week.

The Citadel DLC made me shed some tears because I kept thinking "it's my last adventure with them".

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
If its a really amazing game and story that is impacting to me, yes I will remember how good it was.
But games dont cause me emotional distress.
In the grand scheme of things its not worth it to let a game be any type of negative force in your life, afterall its only a game l.

xviper

i wouldn't say getting emotionally to a game's story, but i got attached the most to MGS series story( MGS V excluded)

but i do get emotional when i see videos of old games that i used to play in my childhood and remember the good times

AudioEppa

Being too emotionally attached is a part of the the fun. If I’m not, I look at that as a waste of playing time. That’s why story driven titles are my favorite. They provide that cinematic emotional hook to motivate me from start to finish.

If the last of us started off with some generic two minute cutscene explaining the world going to hell. And you can switch between a guy or a girl who fight infected people with no voice acting, Just text box dialogue. Yeahh that shit would be GOTY to less then 200 people. The game we got only works because it drains our emotions on purpose. And having that purpose makes it fun to play.

i-Lo

Not so much the story, but the world. I became obsessed with the world of Fallout 3 and among other things picked up on late 1920's jazz music. In fact, even to this day, every time an old timey jazz track comes across my ears, I am automatically transported into the world of the game.

As for story, I felt a complex emotion of joy and sorrow when I finished Uncharted 4. It was primarily because I realised that this was the end of Nate's journey which I, along with millions of others, were part of since the very first game. Weirdly enough, it was what I had expected to feel with Mass Effect trilogy but didn't.

To me, that's great writing and acting so it's hard for me to really grasp something being written too well or the acting is too great.

There's definitely been games that I was heavily emotionally invested in. They are all RPGs or stuff like TWD and Heavy Rain.

OP mentioned being bummed that something he loves was deemed a failure, never to be repeated. The first Duran Duran album I listened to was "Pop Trash". I loved it, loved it, loved it. I did some wiki searching... apparently pop trash is considered a weirdo departure for them, it was hated across the board, and they basically vowed to never make music like that ever again under any circumstances...

Sequince

Neo Member
If its a really amazing game and story that is impacting to me, yes I will remember how good it was.
But games dont cause me emotional distress.
In the grand scheme of things its not worth it to let a game be any type of negative force in your life, afterall its only a game l.

I don't think you've been playing the right games then sir.

I don't think a lot of people feel this way, but my first playthrough of Bioshock Infinite was pretty captivating. I've always loved the environments and stories of that series and after the ending I just had to put the controller down and sit there for a while. Thinking about all the audio logs and the Lutece backstory. Once it all came together I was left pretty stunned by everything.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

Please elaborate.

Now I think about more games have effected me emotionally

Like the end of GTA4, RDR, BIOSHOCK INFINITE.
they have made me sad, shocked and angry.

But not in a way that effects me negatively in life.The games I think have a postive effect on me I wouldn't play a game with a negative effect.

If somone is crying themselves to sleep at night or depressed at work because of a game that is very juvenile and not healthy.

Ubername

Banned

I think neither of you are doing your ideas justice. Good storytelling in a game by def'n makes you emotionally invested and you might be made to feel some type of way, but there are plenty of games that are good games which do not have compelling stories. Geometry Wars for example. But that doesn't mean you should actively avoid anything that makes you realize unpleasant emotions.

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
Witcher 3. Its not often i get to commit alot of time to a game but I did with this game luckily. I realy got into the story, the world and characters and there was a certain moment in the story I cant say due to spoilers but it realy got me. A realy great and special gane to me and im yet to play the expansions so I cant wait to get into them.

Gears of War, especially 3. The Cortana/Master Chief relationship over the games and Telltales The Walking Dead are the main ones off the top of my head.

Rellik

Yeah, both Life is Strange games messed me up and I had to take a small break from gaming.

Mass Effect 3 left me angry.

AlphaMale

I was pretty attached to the story in Witcher 3: Blood and Wine. On my first playthrough, I didn't get the "good" ending, so I was pretty devastated when a certain character was killed in the end.

I had to play it again to get the proper, good ending.

Kururu

Sir Laughs-A-Lot
Staff Member
No, I'm not a teenage girl. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This may be a true statement but let's refrain from using it to imply others are "teenage girls" for being emotional in gaming. Just note this is a friendly warning.

Battlechili

Banned
You'll be over it after a about a week. There are a few games I've felt like this (Nier, Undertale, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky, Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon, and Solatorobo), and its always a wonderful feeling. The fact that its laying on your mind like that means it did a really good job and hit all the right places for you and that's great. I wouldn't be too worried unless this is still distracting you from daily life a week from now.

I'm still waiting so many years later for a sequel to Solatorobo, and my only hint at it was an announcement for something called Strelka Stories back in 2010 that has since gone missing from the internet, with Cyberconnect2 laying completely silent on the status of the title. Depressing, but I just keep holding onto hope.

Happened to me with all the Persona titles I played - 3, 4 and 5.

You become so close to all the characters that it's hard to finish the game.

Skyfox

I was about 13 when Final Fantasy 7 first came out. I knew nothing about it and found it myself in a store.

I was completely immersed and made the mistake of naming a certain character after a girl I had started to date.

We were boyfriend and girlfriend for a while but then she broke it off. I was pretty sad. Playing ff7 was bittersweet after that as the character still had her name.

Then the first CD was over and I loaded up CD2. I couldnt believe how events were unfolding and it really shocked me. I continued playing in disbelief.

It really affected me and made the story so much more vivid.

Another extremely emotional game for me was resident evil 1, also on ps1... before memory cards came at a reasonable price. Those hunter things scared the fuck out of me as they could swipe your head off in a single sudden move. Which meant hours would be lost. I did have a memory card before I bought FF7 though - that actually wouldnt have been playable without one.

Nere

Nope I can't, the last of us was the one I cared the most but still not emotional at all. I think it's because I keep thinking it's just a game so I never get invested.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Ocarina of Time
I wanted to be this kid that goes through time and saves the world.

The Last of Us
Everything that Joe did, I would do the same

Lupingosei

Banned
The ending of Final Fantasy IX. So much schmaltz but it was perfect schmaltz it was such a great ending. I had tears of joy after watching it.

Zambayoshi

Steins;Gate. Only game to legit make me cry. I was so into the story I felt empty afterwards.

Just buy yourself a Makise Kurisu figure like I did. It keeps the feels going whenever I look at it.

The first Duran Duran album I listened to was "Pop Trash". I loved it, loved it, loved it. I did some wiki searching... apparently pop trash is considered a weirdo departure for them, it was hated across the board, and they basically vowed to never make music like that ever again under any circumstances...

I also love Pop Trash - so underrated. Some songs bear a resemblence to other Duran Duran stuff. Check out Medazzaland if you haven't already. Also, https://youtu.be/bUrpRhZILPk which is the b-side from the "Out of My Mind" single. Favourite Pop Trash song is probably Playing With Uranium :)

I was in the Life is Strange pool since I finished it earlier this year, but I finished Gone Home for the first time just last week, and I'm still thinking about it. I went in totally blind, but it's affected me in a tremendous way.

Bought Dear Esther today because of this. Plan on Edith Finch afterwards.

Not sure if it was the story exactly.

But I still think Okami is easily the most amazing time I've had with a game. It was an experience that I simply did not want to end. I loved that world, those characters, that amazing art, etc.

I was deeply saddened when it ended...and then I got all giddy when the "end" was a fakeout. The game kept surprising me constantly, and it was a pure joy to play from start to finish.

Sailent

Banned
The ending on the first Kingdom Hearts. Gotta say it was my first PS2 game and I was 15 in my emo kid stage. Damn...

When you walk away... you don't hear me say...

Fuck.

Top Bottom