• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has anyone played Kingdom Under Fire 2???

KàIRóS

This past week I've been watching reviews and impressions on KUF2 and apparently it's actually a pretty good game, that actually brings back the Action-RTS gameplay that the original was known for, I had a lot of doubts because this was originally a free to play Korean MMO but it looks like in the end the only things you can buy with real money are costumes, so I'm seriously thinking of buying it right now, I was a big fan of the original Kingdom Under Fire on the Xbox and I really don't have anything else to play for the rest of the year so I'm literally 1 click away of getting it on Steam BUT the thing is, every video I've watched has been sponsored, so just to be sure if anyone has played it here on GAF what are your impressions?

Griffon

I remember seeing screenshots of this in a magazine (you know, like websites but on paper) more than a decade ago, and being blown away by how good it looked.

Last edited:

KàIRóS

That’s the only video I’ve watched of it too and it looked kinda fun but I never looked deeper into it.

How much does it cost now?

$30 full game and a few items, $50 comes with a mount and more usable items and $100 dollars comes with 2 mounts and even more items, so it's basically if you don't want to grind get the $100 version, personally I'm just thinking of getting the $30 version.

Edit: BTW you do get a free mount in-game so it's not something exclusive to those versions.

Last edited:

xool

Ninety Nine Nights came out in 2006 .. this looks worse, or about the same, but has bigger scope I suppose, plus microtransactions .. I this progress ?

Sygma

I've played it all the way down, reaching the endgame and like ... I'm not sure what to say about it.

I'll try describing it as best as I can

So first of all you pick your class and get taken in a tutorial teaching you the premises. That's where shit already gets weird because soon enough you realise that while the core actually works, the engine or "raw impression" if you will is that none, and I mean none of the skill you will use feel at any point "fluid" or anything. Its mostly cooldown based like in a mmo, mixed with a template of Musou + RTS but like the fighting itself is BEYOND wanky especially when it comes down to single target sheaningans. It feels like there's a total lack of enemy "hitbox" or even consideration regarding the player + weapon models.

You'll attack forward and will always advance "beyond" the enemy if whatever the fuck you're using makes your toon move. There is no possibility to precisely do anything, its just that clunky

Next up, the mmo bit. That's where you quickly come to terms with the idea that the game absolutely was designed as a shallow cashgrab. Why you might ask ? well first of all, even mobile games are more thrilling than KuF 2 on that end. It consists of half a billion quests with endless dialogue and quests getting validated by just talking to different npcs scattered all around the map

Then you get to the getting objectives done mmo style, and it showed that they tweaked HARDCORE how shit was supposed to be lol. Mostly you'll get to kill AT MOST 15 enemies of one type and get items from chests, korean style. Except that for the western version, theres no rng so you always get the items in all the chests which kinda gives the impression of speedrunning everything but given how boring it is, its not a bad perk

Like you can absolutely tell with how hardcore fast the spawn rate of the mobs on the map is. You'll level really fast.

Now ... the instances ! you usually enter instances by having the according quest, at most they take five - ten minutes if you're not really good. Then you'll get your first troops and start leveling them up by you know, doing more instances

They're all level gated and tied to the story, but given the aforementionned tweak, honestly you'll always be way ahead in terms of leveling and instances themselves are a snoozefest in normal because there's absolutely zero difficulty

Which brings me to that kinda nice next point : it really is a game meant to be played all the way down in hard while leveling with a friend. Until you reach each chapter's "Climax" (usually a mental battle where the game finally truly shines) you'll get the same patterns over, and over, and over. Mmo shit, 5 mins instances unless you play in hard with a friend, some more instances, climax, talk to 23 npcs, and this all over

After some point you'll reach max level (30) and well, by then its all about looting rare units / best gear by doing timegated instances (6 extreme missions per day on top of the daily quests which are involving 3 missions done in hard, and 3 random story missions on top of some pvp / crafting objectives), and leveling these up

Quite frankly, there's just zero content at lvl 30, its all braindead farming and bad pvp because of the weirdness of the engine I've mentionned at the beginning of the post. Extreme missions are fun but badly balanced because well, they're also REALLY easy but the spectacle on screen is quite insane with thousands of units going at it. If you like the premise, go for it. There's stuff to be liked in there, but it's definitely dead in 6 months top

Last edited:

mcz117chief

I played it the week it came out. It's pretty decent but I am not a huge mmo buff. I am playing a lot of games lately so I put it on hold for the time being.

I've played it all the way down, reaching the endgame and like ... I'm not sure what to say about it.

I'll try describing it as best as I can

So first of all you pick your class and get taken in a tutorial teaching you the premises. That's where shit already gets weird because soon enough you realise that while the core actually works, the engine or "raw impression" if you will is that none, and I mean none of the skill you will use feel at any point "fluid" or anything. Its mostly cooldown based like in a mmo, mixed with a template of Musou + RTS but like the fighting itself is BEYOND wanky especially when it comes down to single target sheaningans. It feels like there's a total lack of enemy "hitbox" or even consideration regarding the player + weapon models.

You'll attack forward and will always advance "beyond" the enemy if whatever the fuck you're using makes your toon move. There is no possibility to precisely do anything, its just that clunky

Next up, the mmo bit. That's where you quickly come to terms with the idea that the game absolutely was designed as a shallow cashgrab. Why you might ask ? well first of all, even mobile games are more thrilling than KuF 2 on that end. It consists of half a billion quests with endless dialogue and quests getting validated by just talking to different npcs scattered all around the map

Then you get to the getting objectives done mmo style, and it showed that they tweaked HARDCORE how shit was supposed to be lol. Mostly you'll get to kill AT MOST 15 enemies of one type and get items from chests, korean style. Except that for the western version, theres no rng so you always get the items in all the chests which kinda gives the impression of speedrunning everything but given how boring it is, its not a bad perk

Like you can absolutely tell with how hardcore fast the spawn rate of the mobs on the map is. You'll level really fast.

Now ... the instances ! you usually enter instances by having the according quest, at most they take five - ten minutes if you're not really good. Then you'll get your first troops and start leveling them up by you know, doing more instances

They're all level gated and tied to the story, but given the aforementionned tweak, honestly you'll always be way ahead in terms of leveling and instances themselves are a snoozefest in normal because there's absolutely zero difficulty

Which brings me to that kinda nice next point : it really is a game meant to be played all the way down in hard while leveling with a friend. Until you reach each chapter's "Climax" (usually a mental battle where the game finally truly shines) you'll get the same patterns over, and over, and over. Mmo shit, 5 mins instances unless you play in hard with a friend, some more instances, climax, talk to 23 npcs, and this all over

After some point you'll reach max level (30) and well, by then its all about looting rare units / best gear by doing timegated instances (6 extreme missions per day on top of the daily quests which are involving 3 missions done in hard, and 3 random story missions on top of some pvp / crafting objectives), and leveling these up

Quite frankly, there's just zero content at lvl 30, its all braindead farming and bad pvp because of the weirdness of the engine I've mentionned at the beginning of the post. Extreme missions are fun but badly balanced because well, they're also REALLY easy but the spectacle on screen is quite insane with thousands of units going at it. If you like the premise, go for it. There's stuff to be liked in there, but it's definitely dead in 6 months top

That all sounds...terrible and nothing like the originals. :(

Sygma

Honestly, go for Lost Ark RU version, with the english patch. Its an actually insanely polished game with some truly impressive spectacle and the sense of impact / epicness is way better. + The leveling is actually fun and the game has tons to do, from world bosses spawning at specific hours on maps, to pretty good pve dungeons, to an infinite tower and equalized PVP in arena (and open world pvp)

As a bonus, if you got a really decent free VPN giving you low latency to russia ... well it wont cost you anything. Otherwise there's Exitlag and its 5 bucks per month. If you compare the 30 bucks you'd spend to play KuF 2 vs 6 months of Lost Ark goodness, choice is easy to make imho

Last edited:

Sygma

That all sounds...terrible and nothing like the originals. :(

The climax battles and Extreme missions are nice (some are literal sieges with catapults, aerial bombers, giant scorpions forcing through doors), the core gameplay is good but it really is kinda weird to play compared to huh, well any competent musou where you can precisely control your character.

Like the game isn't bad per se, there's defo stuff to be liked but yeah imho just play One piece pirate warrior or Lost Ark RU open beta with the english patch.

ouYT3Oi.png

myyC79D.png

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Looks like korea jank 🤣
Like that black desert mmo

Last edited:
The climax battles and Extreme missions are nice (some are literal sieges with catapults, aerial bombers, giant scorpions forcing through doors), the core gameplay is good but it really is kinda weird to play compared to huh, well any competent musou where you can precisely control your character.

Like the game isn't bad per se, there's defo stuff to be liked but yeah imho just play One piece pirate warrior or Lost Ark RU open beta with the english patch.

ouYT3Oi.png

myyC79D.png
I'll have to wait for the console version, but the originals were a bit clunky in tropp movement but you had full range of control on your own character.

Also the originals had different campaigns that all inter-twined with one-another, which was a nice touch.

Sygma

I'll have to wait for the console version, but the originals were a bit clunky in tropp movement but you had full range of control on your own character.

Also the originals had different campaigns that all inter-twined with one-another, which was a nice touch.

You control your own character and 3 troops at the same time, on that end its very responsive but the way its managed is also not perfect at all, since the camera will always go to whichever's unit position you push the button of.. And like, if you play the range game it can quickly become tedious to have long movements of camera, then having to manually select the enemy you want that unit to attack or whatever they're supposed to do.

Also since there's no possibility of having automated behavior, you always have to remind yourself to hit the "unit : attack button bind" after you're using one of their skills or they'll use a skill and stay idle.

Last edited:
You control your own character and 3 troops at the same time, on that end its very responsive but the way its managed is also not perfect at all, since the camera will always go to whichever's unit position you push the button of.. And like, if you play the range game it can quickly become tedious to have long movements of camera, then having to manually select the enemy you want that unit to attack or whatever they're supposed to do.

Also since there's no possibility of having automated behavior, you always have to remind yourself to hit the "unit : attack button bind" after you're using one of their skills or they'll use a skill and stay idle.

Yeah the long game was similar in the originals. That's why, whenever I had chance, I would shout "ARCHERS!..sit the fuck down imma charge in with swordsmen"

Top Bottom