• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Gamestop/EB (USA) been paid off to pretend PS3 Child of Eden has been cancelled?

I think this is big enough to be it's own thread, so let's begin. As many of you know, Child of Eden PS3 version has been as we can say more "under wraps" than the Kinect-enabled Xbox 360 version. Whether it be the big E3 2010 at Ubisoft's conference demonstrating the 360 Kinect version, as well as the Kinect version only being present at smaller conventions like PAX East, to media coverage and advertisement and release dates only mentioning 360 version, something is fishy.

However, it was confirmed that the PS3 version is indeed not canceled, by either an Ubisoft or Q Ent. (probably Ubi as it was an American) via Twitter.
Although it hasn't been cancelled, it has been indefinitely delayed.

So I did an in-store "investigation". I visited three Gamestop stores, and when asked about the availability of the PS3 version, they claim it has been canceled. One of them even went into more detail saying that basically "Microsoft paid them off so it can be Kinect-only to draw in hardcore". Of course, they could be going off old news or rumors, but who knows?

Searching Gamestop.com / EB's US sites only brings up the 360 version, no PS3 version in their system.
However, the Canadian GS site brings up a vague PS3 page: http://www.gamestop.ca/ps3/child-of-eden/305327
While trying to find the US PS3 GS.com page on Google brings up a 404 error page, which obviously means the product page used to be there but was removed.

Most other retailers like Amazon list the PS3 version (although many with a delayed date), while Gamestop/EB sites don't list it at all.

The question is: has Microsoft moneyhatted GS/EB to not list the PS3 version and also subtly inform managers to say it has been canceled on PS3 and is 360/Kinect-only when customers ask about it?

My guess is that yes, it is true, and in addition to that, a timed exclusive.

Gravijah

jetsetfluken said:
The question is: has Microsoft moneyhatted GS/EB to not list the PS3 version and also subtly inform managers to say it has been canceled on PS3 and is 360/Kinect-only when customers ask about it?

This seems pretty reasonable.

jetsetfluken said:
I think this is big enough to be it's own thread, so let's begin. As many of you know, Child of Eden PS3 version has been as we can say more "under wraps" than the Kinect-enabled Xbox 360 version. Whether it be the big E3 2010 at Ubisoft's conference demonstrating the 360 Kinect version, as well as the Kinect version only being present at smaller conventions like PAX East, to media coverage and advertisement and release dates only mentioning 360 version, something is fishy.

However, it was confirmed that the PS3 version is indeed not canceled, by either an Ubisoft or Q Ent. (probably Ubi as it was an American) via Twitter.

So I did an in-store "investigation". I visited three Gamestop stores, and when asked about the availability of the PS3 version, they claim it has been canceled. One of them even went into more detail saying that basically "Microsoft paid them off so it can be Kinect-only to draw in hardcore". Of course, they could be going off old news or rumors, but who knows?

Searching Gamestop.com/EB's US sites only brings up the 360 version, no PS3 version in their system.
However, the Canadadian GS site brings up a vague PS3 page: http://www.gamestop.ca/ps3/child-of-eden/305327
While trying to find the US PS3 GS.com page on Google brings up a 404 error page, which obviously means the product page used to be there but was removed.

Most other retailers like Amazon list the PS3 version (although many with a delayed date), while Gamestop/EB sites don't list it at all.

Honestly, the game isn't COD, it's Child of Eden. Not to say the game won't be popular and good but really? I don't see a big conspiracy for a game such as this.

LovingSteam said:
Honestly, the game isn't COD, it's Child of Eden. Not to say the game won't be popular and good but really? I don't see a big conspiracy for a game such as this.

It is a huge piece of ammo for MS as far as getting a higher Kinect adopt rate. Let's face it, after the big E3 presentation, all over the internet all you see is "I'd buy Kinect for THAT but have no interest in any of that other casual shit".

V_Ben

Banned
jetsetfluken said:
It is a huge piece of ammo for MS as far as getting a higher Kinect adopt rate. Let's face it, after the big E3 presentation, all over the internet all you see is "I'd buy Kinect for THAT but have no interest in any of that other casual shit".

It's kinda been pinned as THE hardcore Kinect game :)

Baha

It's probably more likely that the employees you spoke to are either clueless or incompetent. Moneyhatting commercials is one thing, moneyhatting pre-orders is too stupid to be true.

Cipherr

V_Ben said:
It sounds crazy, but also kinda reasonable.

Really? Lol.

Baha said:
It's probably more likely that the employees you spoke to are either clueless or incompetent.

I'm not sure how one doesn't immediately assume this is the case. Conspiracy? Come on....

V_Arnold

It is no MS moneyhat, dude. It is the fact that Ubisoft has been delaying the PS3 version so the 360 version can have some extra attention (and of course due to that nice Kinect-supported logo also).

After all, it is basically a timed-exclusive for 360.

V_Ben said:
It's kinda been pinned as THE hardcore Kinect game :)

Where? In gaming forums? MS knows better than for anything from Mizuguchi to become THE HC game of their choice ;)

doubt eden is that big of a game or even has the hype to justify any "moneyhatting"

i personally am more hyped about that Journey game on PSN

Wario64 said:
Old and debunked

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=427500

Edit: Why the fuck do I have to manually parse my links now??

Also, I should read the OP first! Maybe Gamestop has outdated info?

I already mentioned this in the OP.
So then, why is it not listed on GS/EB at all if it's clearly not canceled?

edit: you're fast lol

frAntic_Frog said:
doubt eden is that big of a game or even has the hype to justify any "moneyhatting"

i personally am more hyped about that Journey game on PSN

I kind of think it is. MS isn't selling to the core crowd with the current Kinect lineup, and they know the hype that CoE has been rolling up since last June.

El-Suave

We'll have to wait and see when the next Kinect game that has some hardcore appeal will be out. Could be a few months, so I wouldn't underestimate the relative importance of this game for the Kinect platform.

StuBurns

Banned
I seriously doubt it. They've seemingly paid for a windowed exclusive, that does indicate they care, but I doubt anything underhand is taking place.

LovingSteam said:
I see it only because it's a major Kinect title, probably the biggest one so far. You had better believe that want it to kill on the 360

Kafel

Banned
lol MS moneyhats a retailer to hide a game from another publisher

I thought that conspiracy bullshit was bannable?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Criminal Upper said:
Anyone who thinks Child of Eden for Kinect is being used to "rope in the hardcore" has his heads in the clouds.

Doesn't make sense anyway since Eden can be played with a controller. Though it seems fishy that we haven't seen the PS3 version at all (I think). Makes you wonder if a PS3 version even exists

fernoca

Gamestop tends to base their release schedules, etc. based on what the publishers told them. So if there's an agreement of sorts between Ubisoft and Microsoft related to the release of the 360/PS3 versions of Child of Eden that's another thing.

Same way Gamestop puts tentative release dates to some games as 1/1/2012 and people run here to put "Gamestop confirms ***** will be released on January 1, 2012." Until the publishers makes formal announcements, there's not much anyone can do or know.

Plus, wasn't it confirmed that the PS3 version will be release the same day across both consoles, at least in Europe? Or was that debunked too?

Grisby

I seriously doubt it, and no one would ever be able to get any real evidence unless MS or Ubi came out and said so.

Kafel said:
lol MS moneyhats a retailer to hide a game from another publisher

I thought that conspiracy bullshit was bannable?
Honestly, it can't be a conspiracy unless there is some level of complication involved.
MS gives incentive to favor their version of multiplat game, GS takes incentive.

Hardly a conspiracy, sounds more like business. They really want to separate the Kinect version of the game from the PS3, go figure.

lockload

Maybe its down the the policy of a company on how they list titles, some companies do not list if there is no confirmed date from the published

Its not like this game would somehow persuede sopmeone to buy a 360 because it has not been listed for ps3

Seriously :)

StuBurns

Banned
lockload said:
Maybe its down the the policy of a company on how they list titles, some companies do not list if there is no confirmed date from the published

Its not like this game would somehow persuede sopmeone to buy a 360 because it has not been listed for ps3

Seriously :)
No, indeed. This game, while possibly incredible, isn't going to move big numbers of Kinect or Move units for the hardcore, they have controllers, and the game supports them.

It seems like a poor choice of game to be so nefarious with.

fernoca said:
Gamestop tends to base their release schedules, etc. based on what the publishers told them. So if there's an agreement of sorts between Ubisoft and Microsoft related to the release of the 360/PS3 versions of Child of Eden that's another thing.

Same way Gamestop puts tentative release dates to some games as 1/1/2012 and people run here to put "Gamestop confirms ***** will be released on January 1, 2012." Until the publishers makes formal announcements, there's not much anyone can do or know.

Plus, wasn't it confirmed that the PS3 version will be release the same day across both consoles, at least in Europe? Or was that debunked too?

You're right, Gamestop/EB sites usually have vague dates like that, but to manually delete one version off of their system while the evidence (it's on other sites and confirmed to still exist for PS3 by Ubi) is another case. The possibility of GS/EB managers playing dumb is another hint, but again, could be misinformation.

And no, I don't think it will get a simultaneous release. Timed exclusives is one thing, but the possibility of pretending one version doesn't exist to further favor timed exclusivity is something I don't think we've seen this generation yet.

Of course, nothing is proven yet, but we are just stacking up evidence and clues.

This is all beginning to fee like a case in LA Noire

StuBurns said:
No, indeed. This game, while possibly incredible, isn't going to move big numbers of Kinect or Move units for the hardcore, they have controllers, and the game supports them.

It seems like a poor choice of game to be so nefarious with.
Is this the first game that's on Move and Kinect? If so, then I think that's a good enough reason. Don't tell me as a company that they don't want to have the sales bulletpoint up on a slide, all companies love that.

Afrikan

I don't think it is money hatting Gamestop/EB....more so Managers trying to sell as much Kinects as possible, and this might be one way of doing it. Especially if they know the PS3 version is not going to be around anytime soon.

I'm sure companies pay off retailers for shelf space, advertisements, which comes with workers advised to "suggest" certain consoles and games.

but this one might be mainly the Managers/EB trying to sell more Kinects.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Yes, Microsoft deeply cares about their timed exclusive killer app that seven people will purchase, and they'll do anything to get that number up to nine.

Magnus

99% of gamers have never heard of this game. There's no way a conspiracy on this level is happening for a game this niche.

jetsetfluken said:
I kind of think it is. MS isn't selling to the core crowd with the current Kinect lineup, and they know the hype that CoE has been rolling up since last June.
I'm not sure how messing with the PS3 release benefits Kinect. Why would anyone buying the PS3 version, should it "disappear", then go "Oh well, I guess buying a £150 peripheral is my second best option". If people currently want the game, but don't want to use Kinect, they'll buy the game and not use Kinect. Even on the 360.

And Microsoft won't be relying on Child of Eden for anything. It is incredibly niche, and by the time it comes out Microsoft will have unveiled their second wave of titles which will undoubtedly have games much more sellable and appealing to the mass market.

lockload

Kinect has sold 13million in under 6 months, this fact alone could lead to a retailer favoring a kinect version of the game

Moneyhats for a game like this.. :)

The OPs comments are bordering on obsessive/compulsive, please seek help

Ominym

Banned
Three Gamestops in one town does not make for sufficient evidence to even assume, let alone provide empirical evidence of a scandal, cover-up, or a theory.

Glix

I'm not sure, but to all the people bagging on the employees, IT IS NOT IN THE SYSTEM, so it has nothing to do with the employees. (If i have read everything correctly up to this point)

So you can't reserve it or anything. Which would certainly seem suspect from a company that is DESPERATE to have you reserve ANYTHING. (I was buying Tactics Ogre today, and I couldn't believe the reservation hard sell they were giving the guy in front of me for Infamous 2)

edit - to the person above, it is NOT IN THE SYSTEM, so, uh, yeah.

Glix said:
I'm not sure, but to all the people bagging on the employees, IT IS NOT IN THE SYSTEM, so it has nothing to do with the employees. (If i have read everything correctly up to this point)

So you can't reserve it or anything. Which would certainly seem suspect from a company that is DESPERATE to have you reserve ANYTHING. (I was buying Tactics Ogre today, and I couldn't believe the reservation hard sell they were giving the guy in front of me for Infamous 2)

edit - to the person above, it is NOT IN THE SYSTEM, so, uh, yeah.

Right, so we can possibily scratch off the managers being told to lie thing, which sounded so-so to begin with. This is all going on somewhere higher up between MS and Ubi, if anything.

InaudibleWhispa said:
I'm not sure how messing with the PS3 release benefits Kinect. Why would anyone buying the PS3 version, should it "disappear", then go "Oh well, I guess buying a £150 peripheral is my second best option". If people currently want the game, but don't want to use Kinect, they'll buy the game and not use Kinect. Even on the 360.

And Microsoft won't be relying on Child of Eden for anything. It is incredibly niche, and by the time it comes out Microsoft will have unveiled their second wave of titles which will undoubtedly have games much more sellable and appealing.

Kinect or controller mode, the point is that it is not available (or known) to the consumer that there is a PS3 version available, or will be available.
Sure, we've seen timed exclusives before. Been there, done that. But like I said, this may just be a whole new level of timed exclusivity.

Top Bottom