• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Nintendo Convinced You to Buy a Wii U Yet?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm almost convinced. I'm going to wait till some of these games are actually out and fan impressions are available.

moe6142

Banned
nope,been through the same thing with the wii. Nintendo feared getting overshadowed by the next gen consoles during these coming months.

nice first party never enough third party, it will collect dust.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
No. Xbox 360 level graphics are practically offensive at this point. I turned on Assassin's Creed 2 the other day. It's hideous, like something running on an overclocked PS2. Nintendo and I have parted ways. About the only thing they could entice me with would be a new Metroid by Retro, and even that would be a hard sell because of how crummy it would look.

What the fuck.

Are you joking? - mostly about ALL current gen looking bad.

No. I feel pretty badly burned by the Wii (and to a lesser extent the Gamecube) so this time I want my games up front before I buy.

I'll borrow one to play Pikmin 3 though.

Vol5

I think Nintendo are totally out of touch. A HD remake and a carrot on stick video message including the usual suspects? They could have released a half decent system this year that 3rd parties are fully behind PLUS the Nintendo 1st party stuff...

They are in trouble next-gen and know it.

So no, I'm still not buying a wii u

Fandangox

What the fuck.

Are you joking? - mostly about ALL current gen looking bad.

His phrasing sort of seemed like hyperbole but I can see where he is coming from.

I was never exactly big on graphics (always welcome good-looking games though) and even I am starting to think this gen's graphics look outdated, at least the most realistic ones, stylized graphics like Killer is Dead one still look great.

So if he is not exited about the way Nintendo games look now I can understand. This is the first time Nintendo Franchises hit these type of graphics, so I am still exited though.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I still just get this sense the product is slightly over priced (just slightly not crazy over priced) and despite the games list it needs to price drop just a tad to really take of. It's hard to accurately articulate this thought though.

Lothars

I'd actually say they pissed me off with how they are handling the Virtual Console and charging everyone for games they already own on Wii VC to get on the Wii-U.

dab0ne

I might get ridiculed for this but the only way I'll get the WiiU is if Manhunt 3 or Resident Evil 2 REmake are exclusives. The third option is when it's cheap as dirt in 5 or 6 years.

never played wind waker and the remake looks stunning, that's a must have for me, plus a new 3d mario title, yoshi and bayonetta 2 and we are looking at a great fall lineup

I'm probably going to finish building a PC first, but I'm definitely looking at a WiiU for this holiday/my birthday.

Not a whole lot changed with the direct though as I expected all of those titles save WWHD and SMT/FE.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
His phrasing sort of seemed like hyperbole but I can see where he is coming from.

I was never exactly big on graphics (always welcome good-looking games though) and even I am starting to think this gen's graphics look outdated, at least the most realistic ones, stylized graphics like Killer is Dead one still look great.

So if he is not exited about the way Nintendo games look now I can understand. This is the first time Nintendo Franchises hit these type of graphics, so I am still exited though.

Well, I'm in the camp that thinks last-gen (GCN, PS2, Xbox) games can still look good (and SNES-era titles too... PS1/N64 maybe not). Many current-gen titles will forever be gorgeous because of their art. I just don't understand thinking that an entire generation is lost to an individual because it all looks like rubbish. That would be a horrible feeling.

I was always going to get one whenever the Monolith Soft game hit, but the Megaten x Fire Emblem is juicy stuff as well. Provided NoA brings both over, otherwise I may still wait longer till they do. I refuse to buy a Wii U only to have to petition to get games localized.

Call me a Mario Kart fanboy if you want - it's true, after all, even if I love SASRT to death - but MKU being at E3 is all I need to know to start planning for a Wii U.

I'll get other games for it, of course, but I can get hundreds of hours off of a MK game so that's all I really need.

Fandangox

Well, I'm in the camp that thinks last-gen (GCN, PS2, Xbox) games can still look good (and SNES-era titles too... PS1/N64 maybe not). Many current-gen titles will forever be gorgeous because of their art. I just don't understand thinking that an entire generation is lost to an individual because it all looks like rubbish. That would be a horrible feeling.

Well I agree GCN, PS2, Xbox graphics still look good today, like MGS2/3, GX, etc. But I can understand how non-stylized graphics will look outdated in the eyes of many. If there is a better looking version of the game I might try to get that instead.

Not that a game not looking extremely good would stop me from enjoying games though.

Kenai

I always knew I'd get one sooner or later. SMT x FE just convinced me on the sooner. I just need to know dates now. Most of the other things didn't hurt either, they just weren't SMT x FE.

I wouldn't have minded getting one much later in the gen when there was a larger library and the system was cheaper like my PS3 and PSP, but that wasn't to be for Wii U I guess.

Mr. Shankly

Neo Member
If I had the money to spend I would definitely buy the Wii U. Nintendoland looks fun (and some of my friends play it), Zombie U, Zelda games, etc. wow so many great things and more to come! But sadly i'm already saving up for the ps4 and i have other things that i need to concentrate on spending money on (such as college, etc.)

Hoo-doo

Banned
Not really. Today has been amazing news for all Wii-U owners who were quite frankly starved for titles, but we all know that most of these games won't even make 2013.

Maybe when the games listed are actually on shelves and the device is 50 bucks cheaper, i'll jump in. I have a feeling i'll have my hands full of PS4 goodness by then though.

Verendus

Banned
This question doesn't make sense. If someone was unconvinced, why would they be convinced after these titles were announced? Or were they so oblivious as to not expect a new Mario Kart, a new Smash, a new game from Monolith, a new Zelda? I can tell you right now you should also be expecting a new Metroid, a new 3D Mario and a new Donkey Kong too.

It has next to nothing to play right now. Yeah, sure there'll be games for it in about a year or two. There are for every console. The real question is how constant the support is and how steady the releases of games are. Not to mention, how much support the third party developers give it.

Plus, it's way too expensive right now. It's not worth that money. You could just as easily wait 2-3 years, until it actually has these games out, then pick up the console for way cheaper and have your fill.

Nope lmao. But Capcom has with monster hunter. So I already bought one. Ninja gaiden razors edge is amazing too, and with xenoblade 2 on the way I'm good. Windwaker HD made me happy too.

mr_chun

Not convinced. Grew up on SEGA, then bought and did not love the Gamecube nor the Wii. It would take a lot to convince me to buy another one of their home consoles. The Monolith game caused my eye to twitch a bit, but one game isn't enough.

Will buy their handhelds from now until the end of time doe.

Kenai

This question doesn't make sense. If someone was unconvinced, why would they be convinced after these titles were announced? Or were they so oblivious as to not expect a new Mario Kart, a new Smash, a new game from Monolith, a new Zelda?

No one on this forum expected SMT x FE. No one. And it looks like Xenoblade 2 is a pretty unexpected game as well. Those franchises have quite a few fans.

The other titles I'll give you.

hao chi

I was already going to buy one anyway. Then the Bayo 2 announcement cemented that. Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3 also sweetened the deal.

I was thinking about waiting until next year (or whenever Bayo 2 releases), but SMT x FE and X have me thinking I should jump on board sometime this year.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Beyond 1st party games, which will probably be the main reason to get a Wii U, it's been a long time since a Nintendo console has enjoyed so many great 3rd party exclusives:

Zombi U
Rayman Legends
LEGO City Undercover
Monster Hunter
Dragon Quest X
Bayonetta 2
Wonderful 101
Shin Megami Tensei/Fire Emblem

It's an amazing list, and that's only what we know of after 2 months on the market.

Wii U deserves some love.

legend166

I'll probably buy one around April.

For my tastes, Nintendo consoles have the best exclusives. I've got my PC (which I play 90% of my games on) for everything else.

I think I'm picking my unit up when Wondeful 101 comes out. Definitely going to have to do it incognito though I don't want to be lumped in with some of the people here

Beyond 1st party games, which will probably be the main reason to get a Wii U, it's been a long time since a Nintendo console has enjoyed so many great 3rd party exclusives:

Zombi U
Rayman Legends
LEGO City Undercover
Monster Hunter
Dragon Quest X
Bayonetta 2
Wonderful 101
Shin Megami Tensei/Fire Emblem

It's an amazing list, and that's only what we know of after 2 months on the market.

Wii U deserves some love.

Many fo those games have not even been released and two of them are effectively ports. If nintendo started this gen like that 6 years ago they would have easily had the best lineup but now in comparison to what I am getting on my ps3 that list seems like a huge step down.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Many fo those games have not even been released and two of them are effectively ports. If nintendo started this gen like that 6 years ago they would have easily had the best lineup but now in comparison to what I am getting on my ps3 that list seems like a huge step down.
If you only have a PS3 you are missing on this lineup, which should make you a sad panda.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I know what nintendo is like, in 2 years time I will get one and there will be around 4-6 AMAZING titles for that thing, hopefully a price drop as well.

So yes.

manfestival

No because the only game that seems interesting on the wii u to me is that monolith game and even then, I havent seen enough for it to be conclusive

I hate to say it (because I still think it's an overpriced piece of last-gen technology), but after the new Monolith Soft game, The Wonderful 101, Bayonatta 2, next Super Smash Bros, and a few more things, I simply can't see myself skipping all these down the line. I'll probably not buy any next-gen console for a year or two, but at this point it's almost inevitable that I'll get one.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Now we all know that the Wii U has gotten flack for not having any games that supposedly pushed the platform to its best potential and some criticizing it for having lackluster release titles that hadn't yet convinced them that investing in the Wii U was worth it. I myself was one of those who figured that jumping into the Wii U just wasn't worth it.

And then we had the Nintendo Direct today.
NEW YOSHI GAME. WIND WAKER HD. FIRE EMBLEM X SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI. NEW MONOLITH GAME. CONFIRMED SMASH BROS, NEW MARIO, BAYONETTA 2, AND MARIO KART AT E3.

As I said in another thread, it's as if Nintendo went online and literally looked at every piece of wild speculation surrounding this Direct and made it a reality. So with these Nintendo titles, are you finally willing to invest in the Wii U, or does Nintendo still need to do something else and if so, what is that thing?

We knew Smash Bros, Mario, Mario Kart, and Zelda were already coming. We knew Bayonetta 2 was already coming.

They showed Zelda WW HD (snore), Xenoblade II (looks cool, not for me but still looks cool), Yoshi Yarn (cool if I were five years old), and announced SMT x Fire Emblem (don't care).

Does this make me want to buy a Wii U? No...why would it? I don't get hyped up for announcements that games will be officially announced later on.

If I were to buy a Wii U, it would be when these titles were actually out. A new Mario (Galaxy) and Mario Kart are nice and I would definitely buy Bayonetta 2, but that's not enough to get me to buy a Wii U. Not when two new systems are also coming. Need to see more. That goes for any new system.

Violet_0

Banned
was going to buy one anyway because I'm a lifelong fanboy, but ...

none of these will be released till Fall (if that), and I can wait

I'm definitely getting one at some point, but it's not gonna be til a couple of the more major releases are out. 3D Mario, New Zelda and/or Metroid would do the trick for me. I'm hyped for the Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3 but they're not system sellers for most people (myself included).

imjust1n

Banned
We knew Smash Bros, Mario, Mario Kart, and Zelda were already coming. We knew Bayonetta 2 was already coming.

They showed Zelda WW HD (snore), Xenoblade II (looks cool, not for me but still looks cool), Yoshi Yarn (cool if I were five years old), and announced SMT x Fire Emblem (don't care).

Does this make me want to buy a Wii U? No...why would it? I don't get hyped up for announcements that games will be officially announced later on.

If I were to buy a Wii U, it would be when these titles were actually out. A new Mario (Galaxy) and Mario Kart are nice and I would definitely buy Bayonetta 2, but that's not enough to get me to buy a Wii U. Not when two new systems are also coming. Need to see more. That goes for any new system.

Lolol its only January. I'm pretty sure there's wayyyy more coming out...

Top Bottom