• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has No Man's Sky make people more accepting of games that are broken/unpolished/unfinished at launch?

Do people pay less attention to a game's launch state because of No Man's Sky?

• Yes

Votes: 13 8.9%
  • No

Votes: 123 84.2%
  • I don't know

Votes: 10 6.8%

• Total voters
While it isn't the only studio to have had a terrible launch and eventually fix most of its major issues(surprisingly many great games launched that way, it seems). I think Hello Games has given people a tentpole for getting used to subpar launches.

Or maybe I'm looking too closely at one studio.

What do you think?

edit: y'know I think it wasn't really No Man's sky. With the pace of networking tech improvement, people would've gotten used to 'wait 6 months for the actual game' anyway.
Hello games might have just been the go-to example

edit edit: title change to be more general

Last edited:
Yes, and that's not a good thing, because No Man's Sky is one of the only examples of a game actually making significant improvements over time. Now everyone claims that their game is going to "pull a No Man's Sky". It rarely happens, but people cling to the idea.

AJUMP23

I refuse to play that game now given its state at launch. I regret buying it. I am glad they turned it around, but studios shouldn't release broken games. NMS wasn't broken though, it was overpromised and underdelivered.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
No, but I'm sure E-Football 2022 will do.

J Jonah Jameson Laughing GIF

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
No it hasn't, for the simple fact that they are pretty much the only studio who have managed to turn things around in the way that they did.

The exception doesn't make a rule.

Ceadeus

I would say consumer are now more aware and cautious. Speaking only for myself , game are now more expensive and I wait until it's out and reviewed and I'll watch actual gameplay before buying anything.

llLeonhart

Gold Member
If It has... It shouldn't.

It's important to remember that no Man sky os the exception, and not the rule.

I really doubt cyberpunk will turno out well in the end

Form what I remember Mo Man’s Sky worked at launch, it just had barely any content and none of the features they advertised.

Games have been released broken since the 360 generation where updates could be issued without any questions asked. There were a few games on the OG Xbox that needed an update or two, but nothing as bad as now.

TheMan

Even if NMS had been broken at launch (it wasn’t, I played it, it was fun but limited), it is such an outlier in terms of free support that I don’t think anyone really expects that level of improvement from games.

FranXico

No, it did not make people tolerate it. The backlash was massive.

The forgiveness that Hello Games got after years of hard work fixing the game and surpassing the early lofty promisses seems to lead other dev teams to believe that they can get away with it, though.

Fredrik

No but it has made me expect more from post-launch updates. I know what can be done if the devs don’t just do a crash and grab release. If a small studio can do huge game changing updates then I fully expect a big studio to do it too.

BbMajor7th

Honestly, I think it's the other way around. I think that games like No Man's Sky and Assassin's Creed Unity actually raised consumer expectations and they haven't really dropped since. Think back to the console launch of Skyrim and try to imagine what an absolute disaster that would be today. Most games at the end of the PS3/360 generation ran like fudge in a food processor and the backlash was never that pronounced, nor were the patches and hotfixes as forthcoming as they are today.

No, I think NMS and AC Unity are actually more emblematic of a shift in consumer tastes and awareness and an increase in transparency and technical finish in modern games - Cyberpunk's reception speaks for itself.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
NMS is an outlier. But damn, it is fantastic now. If it launched like this it would be considered game of the gen material.

treemk

Banned
NMS is an outlier. But damn, it is fantastic now. If it launched like this it would be considered game of the gen material.

I like NMS but it was so bare bones at launch and now everyone has kid gloves when it comes to criticism.

On PS4:
Framerate is often terrible.
Pop in is the worst I have ever seen, sometimes taking close to a full minute for assets to load in right in from of me.
Whenever there is an update it crashes all the time.
Multiplayer is a lag fest, fortunately it's also pointless and unnecessary.

It's much better on PC and probably next gen consoles, but this is the system it launched on and is still supported on. For how much criticism Cyberpunk gets for last gen systems I just don't get it. Especially the direct comparison "Cyberpunk needs to pull a NMS", so you want to to always run like shit on PS4?

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
Absolutely not. I don't think we're willing to accept this shit anymore than we were 6 or 7 years ago.

Last edited:

FranXico

I finished Cyberpunk using the original unpatched release, so it can't have been that broken. If you want a genuinely "broken at launch" game, I think Fallout 76 is a much better example.

Fallout 76 is quite uniquely broken, even most asset flips out there would compare favorably. Come on.

ZoukGalaxy

NMS was not technically broken (mostly, because it was far from perfect: framerate, objects popping/clipping, etc...).

But the promised game was 100% broken, for sure.

Last edited:
I keep hearing No Ma's Sky, Fallout 76 and Sea of Thieves are "good" now.

I also know a lot of people bought these games at launch and had months of garbage before anything resembling "good" happened.

The modern trend of developers releasing broken shit for me to play test for them is the reason I almost completely stopped buying new games. Why pay a premium to be a bug tester when I can buy the entire game and it's DLCs at a discount a year later?

Actually the opposite. After I got burnt with No Mans Sky at launch, now I am more careful around games that are reported to be broken. I just wait till they are fixed and buy them for 20 bucks. Paying 60€ or more for a broken game at launch doesn't sound too good when you can just wait and have a better experience for a third of the price.

Miles708

Even if we entertain the OP's idea, Cyberpunk 2077 surely undid all of that.

And in addition to that:
No Man's Sky at launch was still a very good and enjoyable game, even better than the current version in some things

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
The game sure as hell redeemed itself, but then CP2077 made people pay more attention to games launch state more than ever before.

No. Hello Games had every reason to drop NMS like a sack of shit and move on to their next project. What they did was the very definition of the sunk cost fallacy. The only reason they stuck around was for the the passion and the fact that they didn't have shareholders to answer to. It's a miracle they didn't go bust or some shit before they managed to turn that spaceship around...but you know what, good for them.

Most companies aren't Hello Games though.

Gamerguy84

I think the internet (downloads) and publisher deadlines and the demand for profit has something to do with it.

Not Hello Games lol.

Trilobit

This, it wasn’t broken really (although it crashed a bit) just kinda lacking. It’s a better example of buying too much into hype.

Well, I mean, when the head developer says that you'll be able to do certain things in the full game I don't know if that's called hype. More like promises. Still, I haven't been as entertained as when I read the reactions when NMS launched. It was wonderful!

junguler

Banned
for every no man's sky and final fantasy 14 we have tons of anthems and avengers so no, i don't think people accept that retarded shit at all.

Replace NMS with Cyberpunk 2077 and then maybe you might have been able to hope for meaningful discourse.

Not only was NMS not even broken, it was just barebones, there have been plenty of games since releasing in utterly broken states that the community has eviscerated.... leading the premise of your thread and logic left clutching its proverbial balls with no leg to stand on.

scalman

this game was kinda better at launch then it is right now ... i mean i was loving all those crashed ships opn planets and to find then fix them ... i never asked or wanted or needed for any MP things in game ... so all in all i ,oved game from wen i bought it day one... and all those confused fuckers that dont get it ......i dont care for them at all
enjoying cb2077 but then again enjoyed it from first build .... didint had any problems or bugs to play on 1080p ... enjoying it now with newest update too ... but its all same .. i use lots mods to play it as i like rly.

Last edited:

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Not really, it's just given me more trust and confidence in the specific developers of NMS alone.

Every dev studio has to be judged by their successes and failures. And I never let the past success act as a 100% guaruntee that I will buy future games. I will never simp for a company just because they delivered quality in the past. You should always be critical and skeptical. Companies and people change.

scalman

nms was game that i needed from start .. just those people that are hirt for anything wasnt happy .. i mean who cares... let them die or smt.

It feels like a catch 22 for us to pay the full price cause we really wanna do it but they release it broken and when they fix it you usually find it way cheaper , I think the catch hurts them a lot.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It is nice they still update it but I still don't think it is good.
It's fun to toy around for a bit but I still cannot get into it.

And I expect games to be in a better state

Top Bottom