• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Sony fixed the peeling problem with the Dualshock 4?

Liamc723

Today I moved onto my 5th PS4 controller since launch thanks to this problem. It's a complete joke that this keeps happening.

Klart

The sticks are fixed now and the first batch with lousy rubber can still get replaced for absolutely zero costs (I did, even the shipping cost was for Sony).

Malcolm9

I've had mine since launch, added a couple of thumbstick covers and they are still as good as new.

I have a friend who literally digs his nails into his which is why his got ruined, so I can imagine why it happens to others that have this problem, just don't be so aggressive on the sticks.

Anyway, I know the earlier versions had problems, but the thumbsticks (Orb) are a great thumbstick protector.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I find these work really well. Just some covers to put over them.
m3prjvsfissxsbxqb7yftlg.jpg

Picked these up myself about half way through last year when my DS4 sticks started to peel, they haven't come off since, work perfectly and feel great.

KiraXD

i have 2 with hundreds of hours of gaming between them, no rubber peeling.

i average close to 8-10hours daily... with 4 controllers since launch... they last about 2 months (hundreds of hours every couple months)... this coming from regular use + immaculate care. doesnt matter how well you take care of them, if they are used a LOT then the rubber peels or slicks. fortunately i get free replacements every 2 months.

Carbonox

Went through 2 controllers before I opted against the default controller and picked up the blue controller. The sticks are night and day much improved over the original controllers.

Amazon replaced them all for me free of charge too as it only took 6 months on average for the sticks to start going to shit.

Liamc723

i average close to 8-10hours daily... with 4 controllers since launch... they last about 2 months (hundreds of hours every couple months)... this coming from regular use + immaculate care. doesnt matter how well you take care of them, if they are used a LOT then the rubber peels or slicks. fortunately i get free replacements every 2 months.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that's had such bad luck with them then, 5 controllers since launch :(

beastlove

there are two different variants on the market now. I went through 4 of the old type but the replacements have been good. The thumb stick is made of a different material which seems more hard wearing.

Zalman

Hearing people say they're on their fourth/fifth controller is absolutely nuts to me. I've never had to replace a controller.

Ombala

Hearing people say they're on their fourth/fifth controller is absolutely nuts to me. I've never had to replace a controller.
Yeah same here I have never Broken a controller when ive had friends over I understand why some ppl always break their controllers.

Left analog peeled on mine as well. Just replaced them with the $5 pair from Amazon.

Took all of 5 minutes to do.

Edit - Worth mentioning as well that this was a controller from early 2014.

Liamc723

Yeah same here I have never Broken a controller when ive had friends over I understand why some ppl always break their controllers.

The PS4 is the first console I've had where I've had to replace the controller, it's really annoying. I always keep my consoles in great condition.

Had system since launch, and bought 3 extra ones when my friends wanted to play months later. I play with all of them once the battery dies, but I know one for sure just started peeling on me last week during Arkham Knight play through (Left stick). I believe another one has crack on left stick, or it's the same one. I should check. I like the colored ones, maybe I'll invest in one?

I have three. My launch controller is wearing, but the other I bought at launch and then the blue is perfectly fine. Might try the Xbox One sticks in the one wearing down.

daveo42

Banned
The sticks on my launch controller wore through months ago and I'm thinking my current pad is getting close to needing replacement too. I've got replacement sticks, just need to take the time to do it. I assume most of the crappy sticks were part of the initial roll-out of the system and controllers and whatever was the cause for it has been fixed on the back end.

My launch has the left stick peeling. I put some covers on it, but I'm not totally happy with those. I'll be giving this Xbox stick mod a shot as I think that's really the only part of the Xbox controller I actually prefer.

My second PS4 controller doesn't have any issues and the rubber seems solid. I bought that on a few months after launch.

from another thread

Hmmm do you know where to get any info on the replacement battery? I bought a pre owned controller a while back and it now it wont hold a charge so if im playing 2 player with my wife i ahve to make sure its connected via usb to work.

I've spent thousands of hours on my launch DS4 and it has zero problems to this day. My secondary DS4 I bought at launch with slightly less wear is also perfect. No sticky buttons, no rubber peeling, nothing.

It's not as simple as "if they are used a LOT then the rubber peels or slicks", because I'm not the only one who still has perfectly functional controllers.

To this day I wonder if it is related to body chemistry or even something quirky like how basic(as in opposite of acidic) the soap the player uses is. Still definitely would require a fix but could explain why some people's DS4s broke down in days while others have used them for 20 months now without issue.

i have 2 with hundreds of hours of gaming between them, no rubber peeling.

I've had two controllers since launch with the samw amount of hours on them and they are fine.

It makes me wonder if a defective batch of controllers were manufactured or if those experiencing these issues are simply "rougher" when handling a game pad...who knows?

Elandyll

Banned
I can see (read rather) that there is a problem in some cases, but I have used my two DS4s for probably hundreds of hours, and nothing... Not 1 sign of flaking or squeaking... Yet, I guess.

Never say never though, look at me posting this and problems starting as soon as I unpack the PS4 after the move :)

To this day I wonder if it is related to body chemistry or even something quirky like how basic(as in opposite of acidic) the soap the player uses is. Still definitely would require a fix but could explain why some people's DS4s broke down in days while others have used them for 20 months now without issue.

Good observation. This may very well factor into the material wearing down.

Canon

Banned
One of the triggers on my PS4 makes a creaking sound, like it's loose. My new (not even a week old) Xbox One controller has the "A" button stick for a brief moment occasionally.

KiraXD

I've spent thousands of hours on my launch DS4 and it has zero problems to this day. My secondary DS4 I bought at launch with slightly less wear is also perfect. No sticky buttons, no rubber peeling, nothing.

It's not as simple as "if they are used a LOT then the rubber peels or slicks", because I'm not the only one who still has perfectly functional controllers.

i call BS, if you can post some pictures of your 1000's of hours controller, with the new rubber texture still intact, please do so, but i guarantee that anyone who plays for that much time, the rubber becomes smooth and slick... (which is my problem... the slickness of the worn rubber) it doesnt matter how well you take care of them, like i said, im not rough with it, im not some overweight sweaty dude, live in a cool dry place, dont use harsh chemicals or soaps... theres nothing attributed to the WAY im playing with it... just the TIME i play with it.

(also i should mention ive never had sticky buttons or broken sticks or peeling rubber, but i have had the rubber become very slick and thin...)

nampad

The replacement controllers Sony send me (after months) don't have the problem with the peeling sticks.
They still have the problem with sticky triggers though!

Duxxy3

Any chance you can post pictures? My tolerance for wear is pretty low. If it starts to get slick, it's time to replace the sticks.

n0razi

Hmmm do you know where to get any info on the replacement battery? I bought a pre owned controller a while back and it now it wont hold a charge so if im playing 2 player with my wife i ahve to make sure its connected via usb to work.

ebay, amazon, etc... read the seller reviews first

Apt101

I wonder if this was a problem with specific fabrication runs. I purchased a PS4 in December of 2013 and never had an issue with my controller. I purchased a white DS4 a few months ago and it's fine too.

Top Bottom