• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Sony fixed the peeling problem with the Dualshock 4?

My controller's sticks have started to peel and its pretty infuriating. I'm thinking about trading my controller in at GameStop and buying a new one. Before I do that does anyone know if the newer controllers Sony sells are any better or is this shit basically inevitable with every controller?

Maligna

Banned
I find these work really well. Just some covers to put over them.
m3prjvsfissxsbxqb7yftlg.jpg

Neff

My thumbsticks from the DS4/PS4 I bought in September last year are fine after a ton of play.

Speaking of peeling though, the serial label on the back of the controller became dislodged, leaving behind an incredibly sticky residue which i needed to remove with alcohol because it was getting all over the damn thing.

Never had this problem, but my brother got a Ps4 recently and nothing has happened yet.

I bought my console in Nov 2013 at launch. It's June 2015. That's over a year and a half. It's possible he could have them go months from now.

I find these work really well. Just some covers to put over them.
m3prjvsfissxsbxqb7yftlg.jpg

I've used them but I don't like em. I don't like concave sticks. Prefer convex. Also they kept slipping off when I used the convex ones.

My thumbsticks from the DS4/PS4 I bought in September last year are fine after a ton of play.

Speaking of peeling though, the serial label on the back of the controller became dislodged, leaving behind an incredibly sticky residue which i needed to remove with alcohol because it was getting all over the damn thing.

That happened to me too. I used soap and water but it's still sticky. Thankfully I never feel it.

n0razi

Battery swap (which almost doubles battery life) is literally 4 screws (easily visible, so wont void warranty) and then you plug in the new one, it takes 5 minutes tops and costs ~$10. if you can change the battery on the wii u gampad, you can change the battery on the ds4

wLEjH0A.jpg
411oOyaiglL._SY300_.jpg

Swapping the thumbsticks for Xbox1 versions is basically the same thing but you unscrew the logic board and then pop in the new sticks.. takes maybe an additional 5-10 minutes and costs ~$5

41j4mXP8FvL.jpg

$15 and youve solved the biggest issues with the DS4!
https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4Mods/comments/2wmm87/clear_ds4_with_xb1_thumbsticks_2000mah_battery/
oNXL5MC.jpg

from another thread

mclem

I had a launch PS4 with the peeling problem which got stolen; the PS4 I replaced it with hasn't yet exhibited peeling on the DS4, so it might well have done.

I'm pretty sure I'd seen peeling by this point in the life of the last one.

I haven't had any wear yet, but I had to return my day one controller because of a sticky button, and that was six months after launch. I don't use the thing a ton, though, and both my controllers are okay.

That said, I just got the second one.

They seem to have fixed it, though.

My main reason for posting is: I get switching the sticks, because to each their own and they did have issues, but I do find them really comfortable. What I don't get is why you'd change the shell like in that picture, because the grip on the back of the DS4 is the greatest.

I think I have a second batch console and a newer standalone controller. Both haven't peeled a thing, and I have more than 400h between both. I think they fixed it.

dcx4610

The new material feels hard and more like the plastic on the PS3 analogs. The original PS4 analogs had a real grippy rubber feel to it but that's also what made them peel. The original feel better but they aren't going to hold up over time.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
My controller's sticks have started to peel and its pretty infuriating. I'm thinking about trading my controller in at GameStop and buying a new one. Before I do that does anyone know if the newer controllers Sony sells are any better or is this shit basically inevitable with every controller?

Just buy a silicon cover for a couple of bucks and call it a day.

Gren

There wouldn't happen to be any slightly different packaging identifier or lot #s (even though most controllers I see are behind cases/locked to security racks) for newer controllers would there?

Waiting on the Steam controller feedback, but if I could definitively spot a newer DS4 I might grab it on impulse.

VariantX

My launch controller started peeling within a week, while the controller I bought as replacement this january has yet to even begin peeling. I guess it literally depends on whether or not you get a good or bad one. The launch ones did have a softer rubber than the ones that came out later though. My launch controller also had other issues that never surfaced on the newer one such as failing triggers and analog stick drift, which I think takes a bit of soldering to fix.

rbanke

Currently looking into more replacements as my second controller is completely shredded. I have XBO style sticks on my other ones and I really don't like how they're taller. Also its been a few months and the grip on them has worn almost smooth and the mold wasn't nearly as nice as the real XBO sticks.

Too bad no one makes Xbox one style sticks in the PS4 height. Bums me out that the only replacement alternatives are low quality. Anyone have any PS4 style replacements that feel almost as good as the real ones and have held up? It seems like some of the ps4 ones aren't even rubberized so it's almost a crapshoot to find decent ones.

Minions

You can get 10 replacement ps4 sticks on ebay for $1.50 shipped from china. I don't know how the quality differs from those posted from Amazon. My newer controllers have not yet peeled, even if they do I have a bunch of extra sticks to swap out.

Persona7

Banned
The controller I got three months ago has a different problem where the stick won't register any input when you push it into the top right. The home button and touch pad are also stuck.

Mononoke

Banned
Don't trade the controller in, you can easily replace the sticks. Diablo III rubbed my shit raaaaaw, so I put Xbox One sticks on.

PS4 replacement sticks

XB1 replacement sticks

Tutorial for disassembling the DS4

Yeah, swapped out my DS4 sticks for the X1. Best decision ever. My favorite overall controller now. Also, I'm super clumsy and not the most handy kind of person. And even I was able to do it using the tutorial video. Although I did screw up on my first try, and was frustrated lol

Duxxy3

Not peeling, but the analogs wear out way too quickly. The surface space is just so tiny that the usable portion gets worn out more quickly than past controllers. Would have been better off with a fully convex, fully concave or flat design. This design is a compromise to keep xbox and ps users happy, but at the expense of durability.

My launch controller has a hole in the rubber, but didn't see much use until Driveclub launched, whereupon it was subjected to the fury of 1000 angry thumbnail digs and aggressive steering. However, it hasn't degraded further.

I bought my console in Nov 2013 at launch. It's June 2015. That's over a year and a half. It's possible he could have them go months from now.

I've used them but I don't like em. I don't like concave sticks. Prefer convex. Also they kept slipping off when I used the convex ones.

That happened to me too. I used soap and water but it's still sticky. Thankfully I never feel it.

Almost all stickiness is removed with naptha/lighter fluid.

Remove as much as stickiness as possible beforehand. Place some lighter fluid on a cloth and clean off the sticky area. Use a water-damp cloth on the area to remove naptha residue. Then dry with a dry lint-free cloth.

Be careful disposing cloths soaked in lighter fluid because they are
-duh-
flammable.

Also be aware it is possible the naptha might negatively interact with the surface and cause cosmetic damage (have never seen it happen but seems possible) Consider spot testing an unseen place if it's an area where appearance is critical.

Duxxy3

It has been fixed for quite some time now, yes.

Do you think the "originals" are made from high quality plastic/rubber? They are probably exactly the same.

Some of them are lower quality and some are almost 100% identical to the originals (for better or worse).

ref

Mine have finally started to wear, must be from NHL using the sticks for shooting.

I'll probably slap some XB1 sticks on there, I really like them.

Also, had no idea you could swap the battery. I'll be doing that for sure as well.

Mononoke

Banned
Aren't these made from like, really cheap material?

Edit: actually I was wrong. The X1 joysticks I ordered on amazon were a different page. The ones linked look similar enough. In fact most of them on Amazon look the same. I compared mine to my X1 controllers and they feel 1:1.

While not official, they 100% feel the same. And at the very least, are much better than the DS4 joysticks. I can't imagine the X1 official sticks use much different material. If they do, I couldn't tell going back and forth between the official X1 and X1 sticks used on my DS4.

Keihart

I have 3 Dualshock 4 and the 3 of them have different rubber on them or at least feels different.

One of the has little cuts, i think that one might be the deffective one causing problems.
Other one is copletly smooth and shows no damage still.
The other one is a white one i purchased like 2 months ago, this one has a stiffer ruber with a sand paper like feel to it, it seems to be the better one.
Still, just one of my controllers it's showing damage, i think it's the one from the launch edition.

I'll post pics when i'm home.

MAX PAYMENT

I'd love to change the sticks on my controller. I think I have to throw it away. The screws absolutely refuse to come out. I've stripped 2.

Anung

Un Rama
My launch PS4 pad had the peeling problem with the left stick eventually coming off completely. I got a replacement pad and I've bought another one and neither have had any issues. I just assumed it was just shoddy first build quality. I got some free Batman thumb grips with the Arkham Knight so I've stuck them on anwyay.

366597_ps4_b.png

entremet

Sony really needs to fix this shit fast.

Ordering replacement parts and doing manual labor because they cheaped on hardware QA is unacceptable.

Imagine doing this for a new car or computer? Recalls would be occurring left and right.

I'm guessing they fixed it, but shitty stock is still in the retail channel?

antitrop

Edit: actually I was wrong. The X1 joysticks I ordered on amazon were a different page. The ones linked look similar enough. In fact most of them on Amazon look the same. I compared mine to my X1 controllers and they feel 1:1.

While not official, they 100% feel the same. And at the very least, are much better than the DS4 joysticks. I can't imagine the X1 official sticks use much different material. If they do, I couldn't tell going back and forth between the official X1 and X1 sticks used on my DS4.
Yeah, those links were more of a guiding light, I just linked the first page that came up for each search term. I can't speak for the quality from those specific 3rd-parties that I linked.

I think they did because I've had my ps4 for 7 months now and no peeling yet.

I also use my ps4 controller when I play on my PC and PS3 so gets used a lot.

Top Bottom