• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Sony made PlayStation "too Western"?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Are there any AA games that are only available on Switch? Just asking as I've been thinking about getting Switch, but whenever I look into it I realize there's nothing that I can't play at better framerate/quality on higher-powered machines.
I don't know what games considered AA in most people eyes but these are games I enjoyed on my Switch that other people called AA.
91spkY3n6VL._SL1500_.jpg
81ATQpwVH0L._SL1500_.jpg
162755.jpg
fire-emblem-three-houses-switch-cover.jpg
3max.jpg
81KECtiGbtL._AC_SY500_.jpg

Two upcoming games I will be getting
Shin-Megami-Tensei-V-1-1.jpg
81X4P09tcDL._AC_SY500_.jpg

I’ve just realized that there is not a single american game I enjoyed this last generation and almost all of my favorites were japanese (Gran Turismo Sport, RE2 and RE3 Remake, RE Village, Death Stranding, MGS5, Last Guardian, Octopath Traveler, Zelda BotW; plus Cyberpunk and Inside from european studios).

I don’t like the themes of modern american games (superheroes and cartoons, which is similar to the problem with movies theses days) and I couldn’t finish the first Last of Us (like the theme but hated the gameplay).

I’m not sure if Sony is to blame. They seem to be following the culture and tastes of the mainstream consumer, but it really feels like they could’ve given more attention to talented teams in Japan and expanded their portfolio there. Team Ico is one that had a lot of potential, though I’m not sure if Ueda, being a true artist, could adapt to big budget and more commercial games. Maybe From Software could become that, but they would have to start by making Elden Ring more accessible.

Last edited:

McCheese

I noticed this oh my last visit, I got called in by Jim Ryan as he wanted help translating "no attractive girls" into Japanese as they didn't understand him, he joked he just fired a bunch of Japan team because the "cunts just put ears on them and called them a kat"

Anyhow, every room in their HQ has been fitted with saloon doors, it was chaos, I found Cerny had been stuck in R&D for three weeks because he was too weak to push them open. Jim didn't even care, he was too busy playing with some prototype he called the "PS YeeHaw" which seemed to be some giant next gen vr headset resembling a cowboy hat.

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

Are there any AA games that are only available on Switch? Just asking as I've been thinking about getting Switch, but whenever I look into it I realize there's nothing that I can't play at better framerate/quality on higher-powered machines.
There's some first party stuff like Astral Chain, as well as various timed exclusives from Square Enix etc. Honestly, most third party exclusives on Switch or any console will eventually make their way to other platforms these days since porting between modern consoles is so easy. The main reason to get them on Switch is to play them on the go.

Last edited:

balt1kr1s

Just look at the best selling games on PS2 and you have your answer:

G4lZnYf.jpg

And since that generation console market have moved towards west drastically, which I really appreciate.

FromSoftware moving toward more “western fantasy”, thanks to that I have my most favorite developer and they are Japanese!

Last edited:

balt1kr1s

Also, Capcom making fortune with Monster Hunter World thanks to more western approach.

Only Square Enix keeps failing with it, seriously, I believe that without FFX IV they would be long time dead.

yurinka

Why aren't japanese devs jumping on xbox boat??

Food for thought...
They don't need this dirty gaijin machine because the games they are insterested on are on mobile, Switch or PlayStation. And in many cases aren't available for Xbox, at least in Japan. Examples: Monster Strike, Pokemon, Final Fantasy or Monster Hunter.

Last edited:

yurinka

The Sony Corporation is a Japanese company, but Sony Interactive Entertainment is American.
Sony Interactive Entertainment (whose native name is 株式会社ソニー・インタラクティブエンタテインメント) is a part of Sony Corporation, so it's Japanese.

Both have tons of offices all around the world, so if you don't want to call them Japanese then you can call them a global corporation. They both have offices in America (plus in a ton of regions more), but aren't American.

Last edited:
Top Bottom