• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Sony's marketing of Deathloop done more harm than good?

How has Deathloop's marketing impacted you?

• I was always going to buy it

Votes: 41 11.3%
  • I was never going to buy it

Votes: 181 50.0%
  • the marketing made me consider buying the game

Votes: 38 10.5%
  • the marketing has put me off buying the game

Votes: 102 28.2%

• Total voters

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
The marketing tells me they spent a shitload of money on this one.

It's not like Sony has any choice in the matter since it's their biggest exclusive this fall.

elliot5

Shit happens. It's not like there was some other game that had things prepared. It's coming out next week it need another trailer.

I think most of the frustration comes from not knowing how the game truly works. We only mostly found out from the recent previews and even then there's confusion.

Maybe when it comes out and it reviews well people will forgive the marketing and check it out

Relique

I don't understand this confusion that people here have about how the game works still. Maybe when they revealed their initial 1-2, but since then they've done their best to clear that up. People act like it's an unknown quantity when that couldn't be farther from the truth.

Aenima

Was never interested in the game. But thanks to marketing i can see why some ppl might enjoy it. Its still not a game for me.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Marketing is fine, but my gut feeling is its a bit of a lame duck product. Its too self consciously clever-clever to have a wide appeal.

saintjules

I was initially intrigued by it, but I will be holding off until after reviews. I'm not a big FPS player, but started to get back into it after playing COD WWII.

With the way they've been advertising it, the assumption is that they're making it to be their big Fall game.

Last edited:

TonyK

I was making jokes with my mates about if they would dare to show Deathloop again yesterday. I won the poll.

Bartski

Gold Member
While there seems to be nothing wrong with the game, it's negative emotion transfer of people hungry for PS5 1st party AAA material while getting Deathloop instead that did more harm than good.
Interesting case study.

MDSLKTR

The marketing is also abrasive af with the cursing and the jazzy sass and whatnot. Now Ghostwire is the total opposite and I can't wait to play that instead.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I mean Arkane is one of my favorite dev teams so I was always going to buy it. Granted, I always planned on it being on PC though because you know PS5 is apparently a thing only told about in legends.

Fredrik

I still don't understand how this game is supposed to be played. The die, die again, rinse, repeat just seems boring.
It’s how almost all games were back in the 80s/90s. I like it. I think 12 Minutes had a similar structure too. Dead Rising were exploring that gameplay too if you wanted to save everyone. Everything had to be done in a certain order.
But first person shooting is not my thing so I won’t buy it anyway, might check it out if it comes to Gamepass later.

ZoukGalaxy

II was never going to buy and the aggressive marketing confirmed this: I now HATE this game and can't stand it.

Deathloop here, Deathloop there... give me a break !
rainbow throw up GIF by Rodrigo Tello

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I was so excited when Bethesda first announced it. I love Arkane with Prey 2016 and Dishonored 1 &2. Then they showed a trailer and I wanted to cry it looked so awful. Even before I found out it was a it was a rogue-like and timed Sony exclusive I was NEVER going to buy it.

I wish it wasn't a timed exclusive, Sony can keep it forever and they can have Redfall too.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I’ve never really understood the game. Seems like you have a bunch of targets to kill in a day and then… what?

It resets and you have to do it all again?

assurdum

Banned
Still I don't understand how they think it will sell something, what exactly they have seen in such title it's out of my mind. I predict a massive bomb as the other one multiplayer exclusive released at launch, don't remind even the name. A pity because Akhane it's amazing in single player game, what a wasted exclusive now they are on the MS side

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Lol last night's showcase was my first exposure to this IP. Very orginal meta take (interwoven narrative wise)on new game + runs and dyeing etc.

Who knew there are positives to less consuming of (hype/marketing) "news"

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Game is going to bomb and I look forward to it happening. Sony have dedicated way too much time to this shit lookin game

Oh shut up. As if you're spontaneously having a smile and feeling sincerely happy when perhaps seeing this games sales are bad....

The Rock Whatever GIF

Really tho? Get outta here

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Cannot wait for it to be released so we won't see or hear about it again.
This is exactly where I'm at. I almost feel like it's been featured so much that it's beyond exhausting at this point.

Not only that, but, from what I've seen there's still so much that doesn't really feel deep or explained well. Which is wild to me considering we've seen SO many features about it. I preordered it awhile ago because there was a hardcore drought, and I was like, "Hey, Arkane is cool, and I love FPS games..." and that was it. But as time went on I was like, "Man, something about this looks incredibly lacking." and I don't know what it is.

The more they talk about it and the more it pops up in my news feed, the less interested I am. I might play it next year on game pass, but I am certainly in no hurry.

MrS

Banned
Oh shut up. As if you're spontaneously having a smile and feeling sincerely happy when perhaps seeing this games sales are bad....

The Rock Whatever GIF

Really tho? Get outta here
Get outta here? Just because you paid money for a gold account (LOL) doesn't mean you get to police the forum. Silly boy.

Kokoloko85

I was gonna wait and see, looked cool originally. But even before this last event I was tired of seeing it. Now we got a 3+ minute trailer after a dedicated gameplay showing a couple months back.

Nah fuck that Im not buying it even if its amazing. Will wait till a very low priced sale if ever

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Get outta here? Just because you paid money for a gold account (LOL) doesn't mean you get to police the forum. Silly boy.

My comment was made in jest in regards to you taking pleasure into seeing years worth of multiple people's work failing because of it's generous marketing.

No need to make it personal my friend.

And supporting a place I've been going to daily for over 2 decades isn't really LOL worthy I feel. But you do you.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrS
I still don't understand how this game is supposed to be played. The die, die again, rinse, repeat just seems boring.
Its the hot thing for edge lords. Uncharted? Play a real game like DemonSouls. TloU2? Play a real game like Hades.

Sony made a huge mistake with these Bethesda games to be honest. How ever makes the trailers needs to get fired asap. We dont need voice overs in every single one. Put some music and just show gameplay. The game itself doesnt look bad.

Alebrije

Arkane games are good, great style and story oriented but this one looks bland also the loop world feels like a repetitive nightmare..

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Not cynical. Just a bit roguelike-d out after both Returnal and Hades (the absolute pinnacle of the genre).

But CoD and Halo are both FPS but they're very different while playing won't you say?

I don't know, for some reason it totally made sense and fresh in the context of Deathloop. But maybe it's me.

Nothing personal 😊

MrS

Banned
My comment was made in jest in regards to you taking pleasure into seeing years worth of multiple people's work failing because of it's generous marketing.

No need to make it personal my friend.

And supporting a place I've been going to daily for over 2 decades isn't really LOL worthy I feel. But you do you.
In that case I apologise.

They've showed it so many times at these showcases... at this point I think they're just savoring this moment, the last time a Bethesda game will be on Playstation :messenger_tears_of_joy: They're like "hey, Phil... what up? :messenger_sunglasses:"

but really tho, it's been show way too many times! Seriously.

Godot25

Banned
It's Arkane so it is automatic "I will play it" for me.
But since I'm not willing to buy PS5 just for this game I'll wait until it will show on Xbox and on Game Pass.
Next year will be awesome for me as a Arkane fan. Two games in span of few months.

MastaKiiLA

What many people don't realise is that each of these promotional activities gets assigned a monetary value and this is how third party exclusives are paid for. People think moneyhats are cash but it doesn't work like that.

Featuring the game in the stream last night with 500k live viewers (and no doubt millions later) would be valued extremely highly by any publisher even though in this case people are fed up with seeing it.

People don't like this line of thinking because you realise it's your attention that is being monetised. It's like the adage about Facebook, if a service is free you're not the customer you're the product. 🙂
Well said.
Clapping Applause GIF

ripeavocado

Banned
I don't think it's Sony's fault, the marketing for the game was crap, I still don't know what this is about and everything I have seen makes me not care about it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom