• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has the japanese market become irrelevent? Whats with TGS this year??

blackjon24

Besides of course games we already knew about its good we got more gameplay from ff7 and death stranding but what about everything else? Where are all the reveals? Updates on games like Shin megami tensei 5 or tales of arises? I agree that markets outside of japan have become far more important but still this show has been a let down so far

Apparently it needs to be said but I do believe the japanese games have been better than ever with games like Monster hunter world, persona 5, nier automata, sekiro, dragonball fighterz and the list goes on. TGS just used to be something you could look forward to if you were into japanese games. But I guess i won't bother getting excited for next year.

Last edited:

blackjon24

TGS has not been a big deal since like...2008? Lol.

Japan is still producing critically acclaimed and high selling games. And they also represent a decent chunk of sales. They are doin fine.

Of course and I want to see them, its suppose to be a celebration about japanese games and I was looking forward to it, they are doing better than ever in the west but many japanese series are doing worst in japan unfortunately.

Last edited:
There aren't that many games announced at any events in general so I don't understand your complain.
The reality is that less and less games are being developed each year and so you're seeing fewer reveals/announcements in expos like the TGS or E3 (which was fucking shit this year, too).

Last edited:

K1Expwy

Reading some of the comments over the past week, I guess there's an impression that TGS is another E3. TGS has primarily been a hands-on preview of the year-end holiday shopping season. Devs showcase games and publishers provide booths for games that usually release in the next 3-6 months.
I think the best years to visit or to keep an eye on TGS are on hardware launch years (where, again, visitors can test hardware that's scheduled to release in the next 3-6 months). New announcements happen, but historically TGS hasn't been a "shock the whole world" type of trade show.

For the modern trade event schedule, the biggest announcements seem to take place at GDC, Taipei Games Show, E3, Gamescom, The Game Awards, and Nintendo Direct sprinkled throughout the year.

SNG32

I think the fact that Sony didn't do a conference may allude to this year being missing lackluster. But it's always been like this after Sony's conference there's not really much to follow up.

Kacho

The Japanese games worth a shit these days get their butts powdered at the big western gaming shows. TGS is mostly just niche japanese stuff.

Kishidle

Neo Member
Gran blue Fantasy Relink? Shown for the first time at tgs a few years ago? Not trolling just want some updates I'm not asking for anything crazy but tgs used to be a show you wouldn't just write off

Cygames is focusing hard on GBVS right now I bet.

Vawn

Banned
Yeah, SquareEnix, Capcom, Nintendo and Sony are completely irrelevant. Are they even still in the video games business?

blackjon24

Yeah, SquareEnix, Capcom, Nintendo and Sony are completely irrelevant. Are they even still in the video games business?

Completely missed the point.. I'm talking about TGS and the japanese market, no one is arguing that the japanese dev aren't putting out some of the best games this gen

ROMhack

Interesting topic. Most of this forum prefers Japanese games for sure but I think it's a fair criticism to say that Japanese pop culture isn't attracting people like it used to. In the 90s and 00s Japanese culture had this really cool vibe about it. In recent years though, Korea has seemingly taken it over to become the cool Asian kid on the block.

I wonder if it's a reflection of their wider economic problems. Japan has the highest rate of public debt in the world, even higher than Greece! (Source - Wikipedia)

Edit: And as joe_zazen joe_zazen points out, their ageing population.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Interesting topic. Most of this forum prefers Japanese games but I think it's a fair criticism to say that Japanese pop culture isn't attracting people like it used to. In the 90s and 00s Japanese culture had this really cool vibe about it. In recent years though, Korea has seemingly taken it over to become the cool Asian kid on the block.

I find this with film especially. Nobody seems that bothered about Japanese movies anymore, not even Ghibli.

Abe needs to pull his finger out.

It still is cool, but the country isnt as productive. People stopped having as many kids so jpn is ageing and they no longer work the hardest.

Btw, everyone should check out Rilakkuma and Kaoru on netflix. So relaxing.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Of course and I want to see them, its suppose to be a celebration about japanese games and I was looking forward to it, they are doing better than ever in the west but many japanese series are doing worst in japan unfortunately.

Japan has embraced mobile gaming. Lots of good stuff on there that sells well to JPN consumers.

Here in the west a lot of folks unfortunately still have a EW MOBILE ICKY SICKY GROSS mentality because their entire conception of the platform is stuck in the Fruit Ninja days.

Animagic

Banned
Japan has embraced mobile gaming. Lots of good stuff on there that sells well to JPN consumers.

Here in the west a lot of folks unfortunately still have a EW MOBILE ICKY SICKY GROSS mentality because their entire conception of the platform is stuck in the Fruit Ninja days.

Mobile games are shit. Maybe in Japan they’ve cracked the formula, but here in the US they are ad-filled, cut and paste, in-app purchase filled shit designed for 7 year olds to mistakenly rack up charges on their parents credit cards

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
E3 was a letdown this year too. Devs are clearly preparing and working on next gen stuff, theyre just not allowed to talk about it yet.
This. It's been 20 6 years since the PS4/XBO launched. It's obvious we're at the end and new projects are coming next year.

Last edited:

Micolash

Neo Member

A lot of Japanese games are having great success with western audiences even with Japanese console market declining.

I am not playing traditional adventure, action, racing, shooting, sports, etc. games on a little phone screen with touch controls, and I imagine a lot of people feel the same way. There are certain genres that can work on mobile, but many more that just don't work well at all.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
This ideology was much more prevalent during the 360 generation when no one saw the strength in the Japanese market. I find this type of comment intangible to comprehend. Join the ranks of Phil Fish if you believe this nonsense. Just like the past, Japan will always, "always" have a market for video game development.

Generic

It have been like this for 15 years already, pretty much every influential game today is made by western developers. The japanese decided they can't compete and are relying on their fanbase and retro gamers. Nintendo and Monster Hunter are probably the only exceptions.

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
There have been a couple good announcements. But most of the good stuff from Japan are things we already know about(Yakuza 7, Death Stranding) or have been already released (RE2R, Astral Chain). This and Gamescom are a good sight better than E3 this year.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Once again though, did Sony ever really need to think about showing up when they have FF7r, DS, and Nioh2 as exclusives already announced?

Outrunner

It have been like this for 15 years already, pretty much every influential game today is made by western developers. The japanese decided they can't compete and are relying on their fanbase and retro gamers. Nintendo and Monster Hunter are probably the only exceptions.

Sorry?

brap

Banned
The japanese decided they can't compete and are relying on their fanbase and retro gamers
Sure you aren't talking about the western with their nostalgia pandering shit like Mega Man 11, every pixelshit indie game ever or every AAA game which has been the same shit for over 10 years now?

Generic

What was the last time a japanese developer made an influential game? Dark Souls?

Sure you aren't talking about the western with their nostalgia pandering shit like Mega Man 11, every pixelshit indie game ever or every AAA game which has been the same shit for over 10 years now?
Not really. The Battle Royale genre was pretty much a recent western thing. The nostalgia-pandering is a problem in the whole industry but japanese developers tend to be worse in this aspect, just look at Capcom.

(was Mega Man 11 a western game?)

There have been many articles about the so-called "decline of Japanese video games" over the years, like this and this. Truth is, they never went away.

Yeah this is a meme. Japanese developers release a plenty of good games during the PS3/X360/Wii era. I would say there were more good japanese games 10 years ago than today. SuperBunnyHop is a weeb.

Last edited:

KàIRóS

a lot of them have gone mobile low dev cost high profit. some of these mobile games are making a million dollars a day.

This is indeed the real answer to this topic, I've seen lots of game trailers at TGS, many of them are for Mobile games which automatically makes them irrelevant for the west.

BTW Tales of Arise trailer comes out tomorrow OP.

ranmafan

I think there’s a lot of reasons why things seem down for TGS for many people, but its not like there hasn’t been any good news. Sakura Taisen is getting lots of great news from the show as are lots of other games. But this year without any press conference from Sony, and the fact we are entering a phase before the next generation, we are just not getting too many surprises this year. But thats ok. People have to remember, this isn’t e3. This show especially now is a showcase for Japanese gamers to see and play what’s coming up. And there’s a lot of games we already know about that are going to be demoed to Japanese gamers for the first time. And that’s what all the gamers going this weekend care about. They’ve seen the footage and all from other shows around the world, now they get a chance to try Some of them out finally. Plus there’s going to be a lot of info on games simply people outside of Japan announced or talked about that simply no one in the west will care about, because it’s a Japanese show. And yes of course mobile is a big market to and will be a big part of Tgs. I would love to see more announcements of stuff we don’t know about but I’m glad to see all the fantastic new info on games we know are coming (and I’m down I can’t make it to Tokyo this weekend to go since I’m busy). Also, I seriously doubt we would ever get shin megami tensei v info at tgs. That’s something for a Nintendo direct for sure.

But still I think TGS is very relevant. The trailers for all the big games have gotten lots of excitement, and the crowds will be big this weekend as always. And Nintendo even got into the game with their before tgs mega direct. But yeah tgs just isn’t e3. Things have changed but I don’t think it’s anywhere as bad as many think

kiiltz

LPnWmX7.jpg

vKhBAm7.jpg

What exactly is irrelevant?

Top Bottom