• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has the new 3DS update nerfed your streetpasses?

Robin64

So I tried both KFC and McDonalds, both of which have always given me data in the pass and worked as StreetPass Relay spots.

Neither of them worked. And I think I see why.

Although my 3DS did connect to the Internet, neither of the spots were being seen as a Nintendo Zone. The Nintendo Zone Viewer app wasn't doing its usual blinking to say I am in range.

Out in town yesterday. Usually I max out no problem. Today though I only hit one relay. This is either less relays than before or interval between streetpass mode and Internet mode as modified such that it is much harder to hit.

My route was noting special but going through town the first time I got no hits. The return trip is what got me one relay hit. A disappointing one at that as most the games didn't get anything.

@Robin64. My futile tests (to try and get the Pokemon demo via these) yesterday noticed I think it was NintendoSpotPass3 (and maybe 4) does not act as a Nintendo Zone. 1&2 still did. 5 wouldn't connect to the Internet at all (but did blink). Finding out out what SSIDs they use might be helpful to work out which are dead. Assuming the SSID are broadcast that it.

What i have noticed is if you empty the queue on the mii plaza then you'll keep getting hits but if you leave it full, it seems that you'll hardly get any hits because it ignores the mii plaza hits because the gate is full it's then only looking for hits to the games you own & have streetpass data activated for but that's just the luck of somone having the same games as you.
From what I understand it requires anyone but yourself (I assume relays don't let you pass yourself these days) to have passed that relay with the game. As in it won't erase game specific ones if someone doesn't have them.

For homepass I remember there was an initiative to have some MAC addresses game specific so that people with less popular games could at least get one hit but I imagine for unpopular games it did not't help a lot.

Kouriozan

So I tried both KFC and McDonalds, both of which have always given me data in the pass and worked as StreetPass Relay spots.

Neither of them worked. And I think I see why.

Although my 3DS did connect to the Internet, neither of the spots were being seen as a Nintendo Zone. The Nintendo Zone Viewer app wasn't doing its usual blinking to say I am in range.

If their SSID is attwifi, they're f*cked.

Robin64

So KFC is _The Cloud. Went there today and got a hit! Here's what I got:

1 x StreetPass Mii Plaza
1 x Super Smash Bros

I finally got some hits at McDonalds today. Looks like 5 passes. I'd really like to know the technical explanation for this behavior is.

TheGrue

I always get a full load of Streetpasses going to the Denver Airport and I got the same load going there on Monday night. I assume the update you're talking about is the theme one and I had applied that before going. I used to not get many Streetpasses at the airport until they added relay functionality, so I assume it's relays I get it from every time I go.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
My local McDonald's was working yesterday. That's about the only time I ever get a streetpass these days.

Chopper

Well my Cloud network here at work is still fucked. It doesn't register as a Nintendo hotspot, so no passes for me.

Spent a few days in Birmingham this week and got loads, so I'm pleased the problem isn't as bad as I initially thought. But that was before I got the Fantasy Life puzzle. :/

Top Bottom