• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has the new 3DS update nerfed your streetpasses?

Chopper

This is apparently a situation. I haven't been able to receive streetpasses from my, normally reliable, relay at work since updating.

There are also reports that normal streetpasses are being distributed, but not received on updated systems.

How widespread is this issue Gaf?

Hmm I guess that would explain why I've gotten zero street passes besides the one from my bro who's also on the latest firmware. Maybe you can't get street passes from ppl on older firmware?

Robin64

I've heard the same, sadly. I know of a relay that has never failed me yet, so I'll hit it up later and see what happens.

Kade

Nope. Same as before for me.

Then again, I'm around savvy and informed 3DS owners for most of the week.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Yes, it definitely has for me. :(
Not getting anywhere near as many hits as I used to. (It seems to affect relay stations... Normal passing with my other 3DS console is fine.)

Lucky I completed all the puzzles already. (NoE still owes us 3.)

Like I said before.
Hmm it might have glitched local streetpasses as well. This morning spare system (previous owners NNID & digital bounty so I'm weary of taking it online in case it has been deleted or revoked) which was not updated got streetpasses from my main but in return my main got nothing.

I think last night it worked but that may have been before I updated the main.
It is possibly my main had gone into Internet mode at the receiving time so I'll try again later when I've removed the connection settings from the main in order to rule that out.

Edit: Deleting connection settings from main has worked...for now. I'll continue to experiment (I'm wondering the the 8 hour rule has changed)

Weird. I thought something might have been up yesterday when I literally sat across from a guy playing smash and didn't get a Streetpass. I believe we were both on the newest firmware update.

This is a bummer :( I love streetpasses

Mortemis

Banned
I got none yesterday, which is weird since I get at least 4 a day. I'll try it out today and hope it works out.

alejo0121

I read on GBATemp that the attwifi hotspot only works if it has no encryption on FW 8.1 and 9.0, so those of us with Windows hostednetworks can't have attwifi work again on those FWs

Some people are reporting that the hotspot NZ@McD1 is working properly I have yet to test if it works

DarkWish

I just bought a Raspberry Pi and everything I need to set it up, and it arrives today. I really hope it will still work now.

Bass260

I was able to max out my streetpass limit twice (20) on my commute yesterday, so this doesn't seem like the case. Smash has really gotten people to bring their 3DS out more often. Damn those challenges!

Anth0ny

I think my street pass has been broken since 2011, cause I've never got one outside of games conventions and tournaments.

I turned on my homepass. Will update with results.

I read on GBATemp that the attwifi hotspot only works if it has no encryption on FW 8.1 and 9.0, so those of us with Windows hostednetworks can't have attwifi work again on those FWs

Some people are reporting that the hotspot NZ@McD1 is working properly I have yet to test if it works

I'll try this if I don't get any streetpasses soon.

Crystalkoen

I updated last night around 8p EDT, received my standard Homepass allotment of 6 sometime overnight. I'm using an attwifi SSID on a DDWRT'd Linksys router, no encryption.

I really hope they don't kill off Homepass. I live in an area where I'm lucky to get 1 legit Streetpass hit a month, and in some games where it's expected that you'll get 1+ a day... that would be unfortunate.

So I checked my attwifi homepass and wasn't getting anything after checking 10 different MACs. I changed the ssid to NZ@McD1 with encryption and started getting streetpasses immediately. Checked Smash Bros and it was indeed there.

It is possibly my main had gone into Internet mode at the receiving time so I'll try again later when I've removed the connection settings from the main in order to rule that out.
Deleting connection settings from main has worked...for now. I'll continue to experiment (I'm wondering the the 8 hour rule has changed or if I just experienced a general glitch).

I might be able to do these Smash Bros and Kid Icarus challenges yet....

Went by a McDonalds last night and it was just fine. Never got around to setting up any homepasses, so I don't know about that.

georly

So I checked my attwifi homepass and wasn't getting anything after checking 10 different MACs. I changed the ssid to NZ@McD1 with encryption and started getting streetpasses immediately. Checked Smash Bros and it was indeed there.

Is that the new zealand equivalent of attwifi or something?

donny2112

Homepass is dead?!? Say it ain't so! :O

(Wonder if we just have to start using the known IPs for existing relays in the listing now instead of the 255 dummy IPs the Homepass users have all been using...)

Is that the new zealand equivalent of attwifi or something?
There are no Nintendo Zones in Australia or New Zealand* but SSIDs for homepass are region free.

*Are free Wi-Fi hotspots really a thing in those countries. If so are there any big national providers? I'm trying to work out if it lack of hotspots or lack of NCL permission slips.

donny2112

attwifi SSID - Works without encryption (based on posts by others at GBAtemp)
NZ@McD1 SSID - Works with encryption (works for me (U.S. system)!)

:D

Bytes

I got HomePass working, but I strangely never get any passes for Smash Bros. I did double check to make sure I enabled StreetPass for that game.

backlot

I got a normal Streetpass yesterday but I didn't get any from the relay at McDonald's. I didn't realize this was an actual issue with the update. That sucks.

Mesoian

This is apparently a situation. I haven't been able to receive streetpasses from my, normally reliable, relay at work since updating.

There are also reports that normal streetpasses are being distributed, but not received on updated systems.

How widespread is this issue Gaf?

Had a streetpass loop for like, an hour.

Closed it, went to the bar, played like 10 games of smash with people locally, opened it up, street pass worked again.

Top Bottom